Kings News: LA Kings Re-Sign Robyn Regehr to a 2 Year Contract Extension @ $3 Million Per Season

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Or that some players just aren't that good, as illustrated by ample statistical data and anecdotal evidence.

Regher is not a good player. He's 33 now, and his play will deteriorate. This was a poor signing by Lombardi.

I am willing to give Regehr at least next year.

People said Mitchell was done after his head injury....

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
With the uncertainty of Mitchell and Scuderi still remaining unsigned, let's be realistic, the Kings' best option was Regehr. Yes, he's terrible with the puck on his stick, but is there really anyone out there who could fill the same role as Mitchell? No, nobody like that was available at the deadline and nobody like that will be available this summer in free agency.

I hope Mitchell pulls through and miraculously heals up, but the way we all have to approach it is the same as how the organization is approaching it, as if he's no longer an option. We can't sit and dwell on Mitchell's loss or indefinite return. It would be like hanging our hopes on the returns of Allison and Deadmarsh, and we know how that turned out!

Regehr has a lot to adjust to and I think he'll eventually get used to playing with Doughty. Tonight was downright his worst performance as a King, but he's also helped bail out his partner at times as well. Regehr really is the least of the Kings concerns heading into next season.

Some time off to recuperate and time to prepare for an 82-game season will hopefully work wonders for many disappointing individuals on the Kings' roster. Until then, calm down, breathe, realize that the core of this team is still young, they're locked up and will be here for the long haul. They'll have plenty of opportunities to contend for a Stanley Cup.

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
We also need to stop using WM as a barometer of every defensemen we get. That guy was truly special.
True, although if another Cup is the goal then you have to aim high.

With the salary cap issues the way they are, combined with the short supply of quality defensemen at reasonable prices, I think the Kings will need to improve the defensive corps from within. And, while Muzzin was getting some flak in the GDT and PGT, I think he's come a long way since the St. Louis series. His development in the past few weeks has been very encouraging. Between him, Forbert, maybe ultimately Gravel, and other prospects, we need to grow someone who can effectively partner with Doughty. I also think that any trade of Bernier needs to be aimed to defensive help.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Yep.. Hell, we can even compare to the guy to Greene. He's a third pairing guy and average at best. I want to see more from him than to say this was a terrible signing.

Veteran leadership, third pairing, and tough as ****. Dean might have overpaid (I'll say it when we get a larger sample size as the team him played on the majority of the season was crap), but the market was lean and EVERYONE has overpaid and will continue to do so during the offseason. Dean is calculated, VERY calculated. I won't throw him under the bus over a depth move.

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
Veteran leadership, third pairing, and tough as ****. Dean might have overpaid (I'll say it when we get a larger sample size as the team him played on the majority of the season was crap), but the market was lean and EVERYONE has overpaid and will continue to do so during the offseason. Dean is calculated, VERY calculated. I won't throw him under the bus over a depth move.

Not to mention he's very well spoken and I'm sure Dean loves that.

Yeah, he's had a bad game or two.. he's going to be far from perfect. But, as long as the good out weighs the bad, I'm fine with him. He's at the bottom of my worry list.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
The implies that Robyn 'Jack Johnson 2.0' Regehr has ever had a good game in a Kings uni

Have you seen our GDT where most of our regular posters went ga-ga over this guy? I agree that RR isn't the player he used to be, but I still think he's a solid dman.

I also thought that RR was injured during this series was he not?

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
RR is almost identical to Greene...but RR plays real mins and Greene doesn't...

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Not to mention he's very well spoken and I'm sure Dean loves that.

Yeah, he's had a bad game or two.. he's going to be far from perfect. But, as long as the good out weighs the bad, I'm fine with him. He's at the bottom of my worry list.

The equivalent of blaming King and Nolan when Kopitar and Brown are nonexistent. A lot of Regehr's contributions we'll never see.

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
With the uncertainty of Mitchell and Scuderi still remaining unsigned, let's be realistic, the Kings' best option was Regehr. Yes, he's terrible with the puck on his stick, but is there really anyone out there who could fill the same role as Mitchell? No, nobody like that was available at the deadline and nobody like that will be available this summer in free agency.

I hope Mitchell pulls through and miraculously heals up, but the way we all have to approach it is the same as how the organization is approaching it, as if he's no longer an option. We can't sit and dwell on Mitchell's loss or indefinite return. It would be like hanging our hopes on the returns of Allison and Deadmarsh, and we know how that turned out!

Regehr has a lot to adjust to and I think he'll eventually get used to playing with Doughty. Tonight was downright his worst performance as a King, but he's also helped bail out his partner at times as well. Regehr really is the least of the Kings concerns heading into next season.

Some time off to recuperate and time to prepare for an 82-game season will hopefully work wonders for many disappointing individuals on the Kings' roster. Until then, calm down, breathe, realize that the core of this team is still young, they're locked up and will be here for the long haul. They'll have plenty of opportunities to contend for a Stanley Cup.

Like Willie Mitchell? Nope, but don't act like Jay Bouwmeester isn't a far, far better defenseman than Regher. In fact, Bouwmeester was head and shoulders the best d-man that St. Louis iced against us in Round 1. That includes HF's favorite young d-man Alex Pietrangelo.

Bouwmeester was the d-man that Lombardi should have acquired, period.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Like Willie Mitchell? Nope, but don't act like Jay Bouwmeester isn't a far, far better defenseman than Regher. In fact, Bouwmeester was head and shoulders the best d-man that St. Louis iced against us in Round 1. That includes HF's favorite young d-man Alex Pietrangelo.

I am agree with you 100%.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008

Except for...you know....his cap hit? $6.68M next year and we need to re-sign Slava. Regehr was a bad pickup for way too high of a price but JayBo would have cost more and been a nightmare cap wise, unless Calgary was willing to eat part of his cap hit. And doing that would have probably made us pay more.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Except for...you know....his cap hit? $6.68M next year and we need to re-sign Slava. Regehr was a bad pickup for way too high of a price but JayBo would have cost more and been a nightmare cap wise, unless Calgary was willing to eat part of his cap hit. And doing that would have probably made us pay more.

Really. Almost $7 million. You can't have two defensemen with $7 million cap hits, unless you're not spending too much money anywhere else.

It wasn't a great deadline in terms of guys to get. Every team is going to have a hole here and/or there. It's the teams that overcome whatever deficiency they have that win.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Still don't like the signing/trade, he's done nothing really to change my mind. But, like others have said, there wasn't a whole lot out there. I kind of liken it to being really hungry and you go out and get some food, an hour later you with you had ordered something else.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

And how would the Kings make room for him? Let Voynov go or risk getting offer sheeted? The numbers don't work with Bouwmeester. And he's not exactly a physical player either.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I want to see what he looks like after a full off season+ training camp.

The Kings staff will shore up some weaknesses, he was playing in the pond hockey East for a bit.

I am sure he picked up some bad habits.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
So, we're worried about re-signing Scuderi, but we're also comfortable adding $6,680,000 to our roster in JB? Not even. And then there's this...

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Maybe RR didn't have enough time to adjust coming from the EC to a new team and system. Maybe he does need a full training camp with more time to work at that. DL didn't have a lot of options w/o total overpayment. He got the guy who best fit what type of player they needed back there. And maybe signing him to the 2 year deal was insurance if they can't sign Scuds or maybe it makes him easier to trade if a buyout candidate appears that is a better option.

He seems to be trying to do his best, and most of the rest of the team, has struggled.
Or maybe he's hurt too...

Couldn't disagree more. And I was relieved when Homer didn't overpay to get him. He's not worth anywhere close to that salary and not at the expense of what the Kings would have to give up to afford him. St Louis now has too many D and not a quality top center. THey should have made a deal for a forward at the deadline, not 2 more D on a team that was already stacked. Lack of top 6 scoring cost them last year and this year. JayBo didn't get them any further and they're stuck with his salary with Pie and Shattenkurk to sign this year .

Exactly!

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
So, we're worried about re-signing Scuderi, but we're also comfortable adding $6,680,000 to our roster in JB? Not even. And then there's this...

WOW....that is putting it out there. I liked Peca as a player, but man that took stones making that statement. This is why they need to bring in fresh ex-players that have insight on current players. You don't see many guys putting something like that out there these days on camera.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
J-Bo would have been a perfect partner for Doughty for the next x years, just impossible to fit him under the cap though. Would probably have had to ship out Richards to accomodate for him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad