Kings News: LA Kings Re-Sign Robyn Regehr to a 2 Year Contract Extension @ $3 Million Per Season

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It's apparent that Regehr's biggest weakness, aside from handling the puck, is his skating. He's trying, he works hard, he plays a tough game, but it shows that he has difficulty handling and controlling speed. I don't know if it is a result of him being dinged up or if he's just a slow player, but here's hoping that a full training camp and an off-season of preparation gets him back to the player he once was when he was with the Flames.

When he was on Calgary I thought Regehr was a monster on the blueline, very similar to Norstrom but more of a punishing crusher.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Any complaints about his OT performance?

I was only able to half watch yesterdays game, so could only really see the big plays and none of the little stuff, but most of Hawks chances seemed to come off 1 of their players beating Regehr to the outside with ease

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
This deal is looking better all the time. Wait and see what the Flyers will give Streit. He's a 35+ and is looking for $$$$$$$$ and term. At least Regehr is under 35 and isn't getting a fortune. He doesn't have Streit's offensive ability but by all accounts, Streit's defense isn't good.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
It's apparent that Regehr's biggest weakness, aside from handling the puck, is his skating. He's trying, he works hard, he plays a tough game, but it shows that he has difficulty handling and controlling speed. I don't know if it is a result of him being dinged up or if he's just a slow player, but here's hoping that a full training camp and an off-season of preparation gets him back to the player he once was when he was with the Flames.

When he was on Calgary I thought Regehr was a monster on the blueline, very similar to Norstrom but more of a punishing crusher.

I think sheltering his minutes will help. If we can do that or not remains to be seen, but he'd really benefit from it.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
i think the biggest benefit to RR will be LA's fitness and conditioning program. it is top notch and i hope he is able to take full advantage of it. perhaps turn the clock back a few seasons. i agree his skating right now is the biggest issue. i think with some great conditioning this will help improve his skating and give him help with agility and flexibility. that is the biggest issue i saw in his skating this spring. his edge control, body rotation and burst were very slow so he had problems handling/matching speed

i hope that the D corp has better health next season as well, so DS can rotate guys out regularly to give them a night off. the older guys like RR will benefit and it keeps them all fresher for the playoff run. this is something the team has not done and has to look to do moving forward.

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
Reaper45 said:
I think sheltering his minutes will help. If we can do that or not remains to be seen, but he'd really benefit from it.
That's the problem, there's no one else to play alongside Doughty, particularly if Scuderi goes. I think Regher's spot at this point is alongside Doughty, which means the toughest matchups. Regher is an older Matt Greene in every way.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Robyn has loved playing for a contender again and being with Sutter for another go-round. His enthusiasm is palpable, but I think this news cements it. Had he waited it out and hit the UFA market, he could have gotten better terms as far as both salary and years go. Another fair signing by the Kings, Dean strikes again.

It seems every time we re-sign someone the argument creeps in about how they could have gotten more elsewhere (hell people said it about Stoll :help: ) I just didn't ever buy it with this signing. I have a hard time seeing how any team would have given this guy $3 mill (especially with the cap down) after how he performed for the Kings after the trade.

This was a very very suspect signing at the time, and Regehr amazingly looks even older and slower than he did last spring when he was supposedly playing injured.

I had no problem with the original trade, teams trade for rentals all the time and then when it doesn't work out they move on, happened with Iginla, Morrow etc. two second round picks weren't going to kill the Kings. The re-sign is worse than the original trade.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It seems like the minutes being given to Regehr is just killing him. He can't play or keep up against top players any longer, as witnessed in tonight's debacle. I was more than willing to give the guy a chance considering the fact that Scuderi was all but guaranteed to be leaving the team and that there really weren't many (if any) better options to be considered as a replacement for Scuderi.

I think the coaching staff is slowly coming to that realization judging by the minutes given to Regehr today. He logged a little over 16 mins, slightly more than Greene and Martinez. Voynov actually saw more ice time than Doughty at 25+ mins.

Right now Regehr is looking like a prime buyout candidate over the summer (if he doesn't get hurt).

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I don't really know how the buyouts work.

1. Can they be used on contracts like RR's which were signed after the lockout?
2. You can use up to two correct?
3. If the Kings bought out RR and Stoll does it completely eliminate the cap hit, so the Kings would have $6 mill in extra space for next year?

I wonder how AEG would feel about giving guys money to go away, especially when these contracts were just signed in the summers of 2012 and 2013.

Dean would have to convince ownership that the team needs the extra cap space to contend again next year.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I don't really know how the buyouts work.

1. Can they be used on contracts like RR's which were signed after the lockout?
2. You can use up to two correct?
3. If the Kings bought out RR and Stoll does it completely eliminate the cap hit, so the Kings would have $6 mill in extra space for next year?

I wonder how AEG would feel about giving guys money to go away, especially when these contracts were just signed in the summers of 2012 and 2013.

Dean would have to convince ownership that the team needs the extra cap space to contend again next year.

1) Yes, the PA doesn't care when the contracts were signed, they just want the full amount.
2) Yes, two compliance buyouts that don't count against the cap, but in general you can buy anyone out, however many players you want, just a portion of the salary counts against the cap
3) Yes

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Quoting your own post is the internet equivalent of letting a dog lick inside your mouth

You can do better than that. Where's the peanut butter?

I don't think Doughty can carry Regehr much longer. The other team isn't even worrying about Regehr when the Kings try to break out of their own zone. Time to try something new, maybe keep Martinez in the lineup and insert Muzzin as Doughty's partner.

Will Muzzin make some mistakes? Absolutely, but he is a young guy and will learn and get better. Can the same be said for Regehr?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It seems like the minutes being given to Regehr is just killing him. He can't play or keep up against top players any longer, as witnessed in tonight's debacle. I was more than willing to give the guy a chance considering the fact that Scuderi was all but guaranteed to be leaving the team and that there really weren't many (if any) better options to be considered as a replacement for Scuderi.

I think the coaching staff is slowly coming to that realization judging by the minutes given to Regehr today. He logged a little over 16 mins, slightly more than Greene and Martinez. Voynov actually saw more ice time than Doughty at 25+ mins.

Right now Regehr is looking like a prime buyout candidate over the summer (if he doesn't get hurt).

Fully agree on the minutes. I like him more than most here do, but it's clear he's an anchor on Doughty playing big minutes vs. high quality of competition.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
will have to wait and see how this plays out over the next 5-10-20 games before making any rash judgments. based on what i've seen though his skills are quickly diminishing. i was hoping the offseason conditioning program would help him, but it doesn't appear to.

DL is strapped against the cap with no room to maneuver here. i understood the move at the time. i understood the re-signing due to the Scuds situation. all the moving parts - Scuds, cap room, Willie's health, D prospects readiness all lead Dean to this.

if there was a time for any D prospect to step up this is it. RR's TOI needs to be reduced and possibly even GP to save him. he can't match up against any top forwards that have speed north-south or lateral. they are eating him alive so far.

Sutter is going to have tinker with D combo's to try and shield RR and even move other guys onto the ice. the first answer is obviously moving Willie up to the first pairing with DD. i think the best fix is if Muzzin or Ellerby can finally step up and play to expectations. can they? will they that is the question

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Like I said before shelter his minutes. If it can't be done, move him ASAP. Whether that's in a trade or compliance buyout something's got to give and I doubt RR legs are going to get fresh all of a sudden.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: