Kings News: LA Kings Re-Sign Robyn Regehr to a 2 Year Contract Extension @ $3 Million Per Season

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=672526&navid=DL|LAK|home

The Los Angeles Kings have re-signed defenseman Robyn Regehr to a two-year contract extension, Kings President/General Manager Dean Lombardi announced today.

Regehr appeared in 41 regular season games this season with the Kings and Buffalo Sabres, posting four points (all assists) and 23 penalty minutes. In 943 career regular season games with the Calgary Flames, Sabres and Kings, Regehr has 172 points (30-142=172) and 881 penalty minutes.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I like.

@reallisa: Money for Robyn Regehr is 3 million for the first yr, and 3 million for the second, per source.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Pretty good deal, not a Mitchell level of bargain but it's decent, he's been great in the playoffs. A bit concerning that they haven't been able to hammer out a deal with Voynov yet.

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
Yeah, I'd say it's more of a good-bye to Willie Mitchell. Lombardi said Regehr wasn't going to be a rental when he acquired him, he wanted to keep him long-term. I really hope we re-sign Scuderi but I just don't know if there's going to be enough money for him AND Voynov. This is where the salary cap starts hurting teams, we just may not have a choice with Scuderi at this point.

We have approximately 10M in cap space after the Regehr signing, right? Martinez, Voynov, Clifford, Muzzin, Ellerby, Bernier and Lewis are all RFAs. The only guy I see us actually re-signing is maybe Voynov and Clifford, the rest will get tendered and Bernier traded. How much does that leave us for Scuderi?

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I think dean did a good job signing that cheap He was making over 4 to take a cut to play in la who could have got raise easy on the open market. To me this is a good move. As i ve said before i think willie is going ltir soon So we have even more money to resign both suderi and slava.

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
Nice. I really hope Willie can make a comeback.. but, it's looking more and more doubtful. I will keep my fingers crossed though.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
We have to re-sign Scuderi (and Voynov obviously), we just do. Trade Stoll or someone if you need to.

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
Do we amnesty Mitchell? How would it work if he took the next year off? Or if he retired, would we still be entitled to his 3.5M caphit?

Sydor25

LA Kings
Do we amnesty Mitchell? How would it work if he took the next year off? Or if he retired, would we still be entitled to his 3.5M caphit?

He will be placed on LTIR. This allows the Kings to spend over the cap by $3.5M.

Same thing that the Flyers are doing with Pronger.

If Mitchell officially retires, then the Kings are stuck with the $3.5M cap hit and can't go over the cap. The Kings won't let him retire and will just pay him his money to sit on IR.

Captain Mittens*

They wouldn't have him retire. He'd stay on injured reserve. He'd get paid, but it wouldn't count against the cap

losingsand

Apr 13, 2007
Pasadena, ca
Yes i'll take this... it really could mean the end for scuderi... unless he wants to sign a cheapo one year. doesn't make sense to shore up a ton of cash on these one dimensional stay at homers.

If mitchell happens to retire, what does that do to his cap hit for next season? Non of the mitchell news is encouraging at all, this signing could also hint at that as well.

I also think Amart takes a discount... probably not feeling good about himself riding the bench.

(assuming mitchell is out LTIR and Scud isn't re-signed)
Doughty / Regehr
Voynov / Muzzin
Amart / Greene

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden

He's over 35, so we're on the hook for the contract even if he retires. Not sure how an amnesty buyout affects 35+ contracts, I'm sure someone here has the answer.

Andrew Knoll

Jun 20, 2007
Los Angeles
thehockeywriters.com
Great news. I knew the two sides had been talking but the timing is a little unexpected and I think $3M is a great value.

Robyn has loved playing for a contender again and being with Sutter for another go-round. His enthusiasm is palpable, but I think this news cements it. Had he waited it out and hit the UFA market, he could have gotten better terms as far as both salary and years go. Another fair signing by the Kings, Dean strikes again.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007

This probably only works out because of the amnesty, we can buy him out and not be stuck with the caphit. If not for the amnesty, we'd be on the hook for the cap hit even if he did retire because he signed the contract over the age of 35.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad