Confirmed with Link: LA Kings @LAKings Welcome to Los Angeles, Phillip Danault!

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
They're not getting rid of Brown or Quick. They can't. As in, nobody needs or wants them. Not for October. Maybe at the deadline if the Kings suck again.

What you got now is what you're going to get. The returning vets need to produce. The new vets need to produce. The young guys need to take another step. That's the 21-22 season.

They've spent to the cap. Doughty can now shut up and play. It's up to the guys on the team to care again.

And yes, this roster caring and just getting to the playoffs in order to get swept is a vast improvement. Especially with how inexperienced the roster still is, even after the moves.

Hear! Hear!

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I don't see what Byfield sitting in the AHL for a year will do for his development. He didn't look out of place in the NHL in his short stint. I get that he's young, but he was also second overall. He's got talent he should be playing on the big team for most of the season now that Danault and Kopitar are going to be able to easily shelter his ice time.

Wack.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Some here take every syllable these guys say as gospel. You've got a 34 year old, a soon to be 19 year old, and a guy that was just drafted late in the 2nd rd. That's a decent gap in age. Can we wait at all? I believe DL had Purcell in one of his boxes as a top scoring threat for the Kings when they were going to contend. Things change. Yannetti doesn't even know for sure that the guys he's picking will be NHLers, let alone be a handful when they get there.

Also, the NHL team is not Yannetti's job. Who cares what he thinks about the roster. Just keep drafting quality.

Only a few of us wanted Vilardi back in the AHL or at least sheltered. We had a 10 game NHL experienced kid in a 2C hole. Carter did nothing to help him out. He could of played 2C and move Vilardi down. But whatever. 2C was a problem and I am ok with fixing it. Personally I would of went with a shorter term deal, but we'll see how this turns out.

I don't think you got what I wanted from Yannetti from my comment.

What I would like is his thoughts now since we'll only have an open spot at center as a fourth line center. Assuming Kopitar-QB-Danualt are established for a few years. (I think Kopi will play a year or 2 beyond his contract)He might still get his "guy" Helenius to play 4C in a few years if it all works out...who knows

We also just drafted for "filling the roster" according to him, we picked 2 more centers, so what is the plan now for future drafts? More centers?

Are we going to stop with this obsession for centers and draft scoring wingers on the team?

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
I don't see Kopitar being extended for his age 37 season. Who knows, maybe he told Blake that he is done when his contract is up and that factored into the signing of Danault.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Only a few of us wanted Vilardi back in the AHL or at least sheltered. We had a 10 game NHL experienced kid in a 2C hole. Carter did nothing to help him out. He could of played 2C and move Vilardi down. But whatever. 2C was a problem and I am ok with fixing it. Personally I would of went with a shorter term deal, but we'll see how this turns out.

I don't think you got what I wanted from Yannetti from my comment.

What I would like is his thoughts now since we'll only have an open spot at center as a fourth line center. Assuming Kopitar-QB-Danualt are established for a few years. (I think Kopi will play a year or 2 beyond his contract)He might still get his "guy" Helenius to play 4C in a few years if it all works out...who knows

We also just drafted for "filling the roster" according to him, we picked 2 more centers, so what is the plan now for future drafts? More centers?

Are we going to stop with this obsession for centers and draft scoring wingers on the team?
LOL right?
I have a feeling that they would have taken Eklund if he were there.
No inside knowledge or anything, just a feeling

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I don't see Kopitar being extended for his age 37 season. Who knows, maybe he told Blake that he is done when his contract is up and that factored into the signing of Danault.
Kopitar is aging like fine wine. I think he is going to do what others like Thornton did and sign 1 year deals each offseason.
Brown as well

Reactions: YAYSAY

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I don't see what Byfield sitting in the AHL for a year will do for his development. He didn't look out of place in the NHL in his short stint. I get that he's young, but he was also second overall. He's got talent he should be playing on the big team for most of the season now that Danault and Kopitar are going to be able to easily shelter his ice time.

Wack.

Consistency is important. I think him and JAD will start in the AHL

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Consistency is important. I think him and JAD will start in the AHL

I feel like there's very little room for failure for him personally since he has a good amount of sheltering in the big club. Low pressure, and NHL experience are kind of amazing for a second overall pick.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
People over analyzing our picks. Outside Clarke, most are 4+ yrs out from the NHL. Right around the time they are theoretically competing.

Meaning just as likely they debut for a team other than the Kings.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013

Wack.

Byfield dominated the AHL after getting comfortable. If in the beginning of the season he continues to do so, he should be moved up to the NHL.

Reactions: YP44

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Wack.

Who says he's going to be sitting there all year? If he tears it up at camp, they aren't going to hold him down just because.

I feel like there's very little room for failure for him personally since he has a good amount of sheltering in the big club. Low pressure, and NHL experience are kind of amazing for a second overall pick.

Sure, but again, we're making assumptions on where he'll be. And who is to say what's better--absolutely demolishing the AHL while being 'the guy' and getting big minutes, or playing cushy NHL minutes? I don't think there's a definitive answer. But I DO think people are jumping to conclusions on what Danault means about the NHL roster. It's worth discussion but not prejudgement.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
Byfield dominated the AHL after getting comfortable. If in the beginning of the season he continues to do so, he should be moved up to the NHL.

Ok, and what if Vilardi turns the corner and is playing well as a 3rd line center. Now what? No room on the wings and why risk moving a developing prospect to another position if he is performing well. I mean it is a nice problem to have but this could be the Kempe issue all over again.

Zegras was sent down to learn how to play center. What is the plan for Vilardi with QB is ready? Trade him? Flip him to wing and he will learn on the fly?

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
In every writeup about the Danault trade, it's noted Blake immediately talked to Kopitar and Doughty.

I took that as a 'there, f*** you guys, shut up and play.' :laugh:

“I upgraded the team with 2 top 6 players and a veteran defenseman. Now I have a demand - have career years and make the playoffs or I’ll trade you both.

Regards, Rob”

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
Move Wagner and sign Tatar...f# it.
We committed to Danault might as well give him his winger that brought him the most success.

A Tuna-Danault-Arvidsson line would fix our 2nd line issues in a hurry. If it clicks they can be a 1B line.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I think a lot of teams would be interested in Brown if he was available. Kings would probably have to retain to make it work, but I think he'd have solid value.

Maybe, but not for October. Who needs a 37 year old that you're giving up an asset for in game 1 of the season? If he goes, it's at the deadline when the Kings are sunk. Assuming he'd want to go.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA

Wack.

There’s something to be said for earning your spot as opposed to it being handed to you on a silver platter. Lombardi talked about this more than once. If Byfield is truly deserving, he’ll get called up mid season. Nothing to lose.

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
The problem I see is that some on this board expect the team to go from Lotto pick to Conference finalist in one year... They have the right to have that expectation, even if it's unrealistic.

Reactions: cyclones22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad