Confirmed with Link: LA Kings @LAKings Welcome to Los Angeles, Phillip Danault!

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
this x100. Reading Mayor’s projected lines and “Be patient with byfield, he’s only 18” worries me. Stutzle had a great rookie year and Byfield wasn’t able to make an impact in the AHL. I know about the age gap and one played versus men while the other came from the OHL. Regardless, I’m worried. Not to mention the Danault signing signifies that Vilardi, Turcotte and Byfield aren’t ready for the added responsibility. Turcotte and Vilardi will most likely need to shift roles and positions, which they’ve done to Kempe too. Can’t be good for the development of these kids.

I’m just not a fan of the signing because I thought Blake would use the plethora of prospects and flip it into a 2nd line all star centre. Looks like the aim is to get a LHD now. Wonder who they’ll target with Werenski gone.

@DoktorJeep I said the other day that Danault is a mix of Stoll and Handzus. Not as physical and slightly worse on face-offs than Stoll but more physical and better at face-offs than Zeus. Blake doesn't seem to think that type of center is in the system so he grabbed one. We'll see if he's right. I think it will pay off but I get the skepticism and I am by no means a Blake apologist.

@AKAY47 Byfield got better as the season went on both by the counting stats and the eye test. I do have some issues with his game but the ability to let him start in the AHL next season is a huge bonus for his development. I will continue to say there are some confidence issues and he defers too much at times so I am all about him getting to be the guy in Ontario to start the year in the hopes he takes it and runs with it. I know the expectation is that 2OA should be in the NHL in their D+2 year and I believe he will be eventually but the AHL eligibility is a real gift. We talk about how the COVID thing was a bonus because OHL guys could play in the AHL but, at the same time, they didn't get to play many games. The real positive to come out of this is the ability to get Byfield in another 20 or so AHL games with his other hot-shot prospect peers v. having to play him in the NHL right away.

I still think that Blake looks at him as the key to this thing moving forward...it's probably him and Brandt. If those are both homeruns, they will be in good shape. They are going to be careful with both of them but, at the same time, I don't think they will send Byfield down if he comes in to camp and is simply undeniable.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
what was Stoll's % of cap?
He was 2nd line center till the Richards trade. Danault will be 2nd line C till QB arrives.

Stoll signed a 4 year deal for the 2008/2009 season, $3.6M which constituted 6,3% of the cap when he signed and 5,6% in the fourth year. The following contract he took up about 5% of the cap to start.

Danault's contract is 6,7% in a flat cap era. So it's clearly more expensive but it's more or less the only way to attract a sought after free agent to a crappy team.

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
@DoktorJeep I said the other day that Danault is a mix of Stoll and Handzus. Not as physical and slightly worse on face-offs than Stoll but more physical and better at face-offs than Zeus. Blake doesn't seem to think that type of center is in the system so he grabbed one. We'll see if he's right. I think it will pay off but I get the skepticism and I am by no means a Blake apologist.

All true, but I think you would agree that Danault is far better than each of them in the defensive zone with his coverage, his ability to breakup plays and in clearing zone. Zeus and Stoll were never in the Selke conversation while Danault, if he plays like he did in the recent playoffs, could win it.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
McKinnon didn't have a good first two or three seasons and look at him now.

Mackinnon did have a good first few seasons, it just wasn't great compared to what he is now. His rookie season he put up 24 goals and 63 points. His next two seasons he had some injury issues, but still had a .6 ppg and a .72 ppg and he had another 20+ goal season. Those numbers are not bad, they just aren't full superstar Mackinnon numbers.

Reactions: Rusty Batch

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Stoll signed a 4 year deal for the 2008/2009 season, $3.6M which constituted 6,3% of the cap when he signed and 5,6% in the fourth year. The following contract he took up about 5% of the cap to start.

Danault's contract is 6,7% in a flat cap era. So it's clearly more expensive but it's more or less the only way to attract a sought after free agent to a crappy team.

6.3 to 6.7 doesn't see so bad IMO.

Based on Kovalchuk and now Danault Blake handing out NMC does worry me. At least this one is only a NMC for half the length of the contract. Likely something necessary to attract UFAs. Also I do not like the signing bonuses on here as if LA does need to buy out it makes buy out a lot uglier. Without knowing behind the curtain on bother player and team side hard to know what wiggle room on any of this there was, just seems like player got term, cap hit and Salary structure. I would feel better about this contract had LA won on one of those.

Still optimistic about this and will wait to see how it works out.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
6.3 to 6.7 doesn't see so bad IMO.

Based on Kovalchuk and now Danault Blake handing out NMC does worry me. At least this one is only a NMC for half the length of the contract. Likely something necessary to attract UFAs. Also I do not like the signing bonuses on here as if LA does need to buy out it makes buy out a lot uglier. Without knowing behind the curtain on bother player and team side hard to know what wiggle room on any of this there was, just seems like player got term, cap hit and Salary structure. I would feel better about this contract had LA won on one of those.

Still optimistic about this and will wait to see how it works out.

UFA almost always get some sort of NMC/NTC etc.

If the Kings need to trade Danault in the first three years of this deal...yikes.

DoktorJeep

Winners of the Offseason
Aug 2, 2005
OC
So you're going to take past production as the reason he was brought in, but literally completely discount anything else he brings.

You can choose misery if you like, it's gonna be a long few months though.

I think Danault is an upgrade at 2C for the Kings. I see the reasoning behind the hope of maximizing Kopitar. I like that he wants to play in LA. It’s a good thing to attract winners. I also like that he wants a bigger offensive role on a team, because the Kings #1 need is offense. And his cap hit is solid. The term is ok since he’s 28 and looks like he’ll age well.

I’m excited to see him centering a line with Tkachev and Arvidsson as his wingers. Tkachev looks like a playmaker, Arvidsson the shooter and Danault the distributor. That could be a really great second line. So I’m down with Danault as our 2C, plenty of reasons he can work out just great.

Looking at the rest of the team, there are still to many question marks to feel excited about making the playoffs and standing some kind of chance if you’re a wild card seed. Getting embarrassed by Vegas or Colorado next April is misery most would elect to skip if known ahead of time. So bottom line is that if the Kings are serious about getting back to being a competitive team, they can’t stop at Arvidsson, Danault, Edler, AA.

But they’re kind of stuck because according to CF, they have$1.9M in free cap. If they want to be serious about making the playoffs they need a 25+ goal winger for Kopitar not named Brown. They also need a 35 point defenseman next to Doughty and expecting Edler/Anderson/Bjornfot/Clague/Maata to be that is waiting for the stars to align.

The easiest way to clear some cap is being rid of Brown and Quick. There is $10M that could be used to finish plugging the major holes. There are younger options to fill their roles as down the lineup players. What is the point of collecting all these elite prospects if you’re going to block them with vets? They admitted that Carter was moved to free up minutes for the players who were part of the future plan. So they can deal with the broken hearts and replace that money on players who get this team over the hump.

To be taken seriously as a competitive team, the baseline expectations are make the playoffs as a wildcard and take the division winner to 6-7 games in the first round before bowing out. You do that and you can claim real, tangible improvement. You can come up just a bit short and still claim varying levels of real improvement.

So if Blake stops at Danault/ Edler, then there is little hopes for a decent playoff showing next year. I’d like to see him bring in a winger specifically for Kopitar who is as close to a sure bet for 25+ goals as possible. If he has to pay prospects, so be it. Depending on who came back, there is no true untouchable for me as far as single player.

If a D trade isn’t available, I’m ok not making a hasty move. With Werenski off the market, you’re competing with Steve Yzerman for that type of player and the going rate is basically $10M by itself. So right now, as far as I can see it, we’re right back to the same place as we’ve been since 2008, needing a winger for Kopitar in order to make some noise in the playoffs.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Looking at the rest of the team, there are still to many question marks to feel excited about making the playoffs and standing some kind of chance if you’re a wild card seed. Getting embarrassed by Vegas or Colorado next April is misery most would elect to skip if known ahead of time. So bottom line is that if the Kings are serious about getting back to being a competitive team, they can’t stop at Arvidsson, Danault, Edler, AA.

But they’re kind of stuck because according to CF, they have$1.9M in free cap. If they want to be serious about making the playoffs they need a 25+ goal winger for Kopitar not named Brown. They also need a 35 point defenseman next to Doughty and expecting Edler/Anderson/Bjornfot/Clague/Maata to be that is waiting for the stars to align.

The easiest way to clear some cap is being rid of Brown and Quick. There is $10M that could be used to finish plugging the major holes. There are younger options to fill their roles as down the lineup players. What is the point of collecting all these elite prospects if you’re going to block them with vets? They admitted that Carter was moved to free up minutes for the players who were part of the future plan. So they can deal with the broken hearts and replace that money on players who get this team over the hump.

Such is the tradeoff of having such a young team--questionmarks and uncertainty.

But I always ask this and no one can answer--who is being 'blocked?'

I hope you realize you're proposing things at odds with one another--you say Kopitar needs a winger, Doughty needs a dman, but if you don't fill those internally, you have to go get someone else to 'block' the youth.

IMO the scoring is coming internally, the Doughty-partner is coming externally.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Such is the tradeoff of having such a young team--questionmarks and uncertainty.

But I always ask this and no one can answer--who is being 'blocked?'

I hope you realize you're proposing things at odds with one another--you say Kopitar needs a winger, Doughty needs a dman, but if you don't fill those internally, you have to go get someone else to 'block' the youth.

IMO the scoring is coming internally, the Doughty-partner is coming externally.
I think the only one really being blocked by the Danault move is Kupari and whether or not its a big deal is yet to be seen. One can make a case for Byfield having to play in the AHL this season because of it or Turcotte not playing his natural position but that seemed to be a thing even before the signing.
It may be the right time to ship out Kupari, Clague, Wagner and Lemieux for a goalie prospect thats halfway developed or maybe another left handed defense prospect.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I think Danault is an upgrade at 2C for the Kings. I see the reasoning behind the hope of maximizing Kopitar. I like that he wants to play in LA. It’s a good thing to attract winners. I also like that he wants a bigger offensive role on a team, because the Kings #1 need is offense. And his cap hit is solid. The term is ok since he’s 28 and looks like he’ll age well.

I’m excited to see him centering a line with Tkachev and Arvidsson as his wingers. Tkachev looks like a playmaker, Arvidsson the shooter and Danault the distributor. That could be a really great second line. So I’m down with Danault as our 2C, plenty of reasons he can work out just great.

To be taken seriously as a competitive team, the baseline expectations are make the playoffs as a wildcard and take the division winner to 6-7 games in the first round before bowing out. You do that and you can claim real, tangible improvement. You can come up just a bit short and still claim varying levels of real improvement.

So if Blake stops at Danault/ Edler, then there is little hopes for a decent playoff showing next year. I’d like to see him bring in a winger specifically for Kopitar who is as close to a sure bet for 25+ goals as possible. If he has to pay prospects, so be it. Depending on who came back, there is no true untouchable for me as far as single player.

If a D trade isn’t available, I’m ok not making a hasty move. With Werenski off the market, you’re competing with Steve Yzerman for that type of player and the going rate is basically $10M by itself. So right now, as far as I can see it, we’re right back to the same place as we’ve been since 2008, needing a winger for Kopitar in order to make some noise in the playoffs.

They're not getting rid of Brown or Quick. They can't. As in, nobody needs or wants them. Not for October. Maybe at the deadline if the Kings suck again.

What you got now is what you're going to get. The returning vets need to produce. The new vets need to produce. The young guys need to take another step. That's the 21-22 season.

They've spent to the cap. Doughty can now shut up and play. It's up to the guys on the team to care again.

And yes, this roster caring and just getting to the playoffs in order to get swept is a vast improvement. Especially with how inexperienced the roster still is, even after the moves.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Having sat on it for a few days now, my opinion still hasn't changed.

I like the player. I like what he brings. I think his skillset is exactly what we need, and have needed for a long time.

BUT, I'm kind of lukewarm to the signing, because I don't like the contract. I suspect his play will fall off soon.

DoktorJeep

Winners of the Offseason
Aug 2, 2005
OC
They're not getting rid of Brown or Quick. They can't. As in, nobody needs or wants them. Not for October. Maybe at the deadline if the Kings suck again.

What you got now is what you're going to get. The returning vets need to produce. The new vets need to produce. The young guys need to take another step. That's the 21-22 season.

They've spent to the cap. Doughty can now shut up and play. It's up to the guys on the team to care again.

And yes, this roster caring and just getting to the playoffs in order to get swept is a vast improvement. Especially with how inexperienced the roster still is, even after the moves.

I can’t get excited about getting swept in the playoffs. I don’t begrudge any fan that is ok with it, but it’s basically another fart in the wind disguised as something meaningful. The only thing to be excited about is a stacked Reign team.

Reactions: Mats26

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I think the only one really being blocked by the Danault move is Kupari and whether or not its a big deal is yet to be seen. One can make a case for Byfield having to play in the AHL this season because of it or Turcotte not playing his natural position but that seemed to be a thing even before the signing.
It may be the right time to ship out Kupari, Clague, Wagner and Lemieux for a goalie prospect thats halfway developed or maybe another left handed defense prospect.

3 of the 4 names you listed are just guys. Kupari still has some value, but not as a centerpiece for anything.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I can’t get excited about getting swept in the playoffs. I don’t begrudge any fan that is ok with it, but it’s basically another fart in the wind disguised as something meaningful. The only thing to be excited about is a stacked Reign team.

Not saying get excited for a sweep, but it's been a while since the Kings have played a meaningful game.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
3 of the 4 names you listed are just guys. Kupari still has some value, but not as a centerpiece for anything.
I agree though I dont think it has to be anything too fancy in trade. Just maybe someone they missed out on that they liked in a draft to account for more depth in positions of need

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Not a single prospect traded, not a single important player lost to Seattle, very strong draft, and 3 veteran players added - including 2 legitimate top 6 forwards - for a grand total of 1 second and 1 third round pick. The rebuild is over at this point, look at the prospects we have. The pipeline is loaded and BY FAR the best in the entire league, it's not even close. Time to start bringing in veterans and slowly start improving.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
With Brown, Athanasiou, Edler, Maatta and Carter's retention off the cap next year, the Kings will around $17 million to play with. Petersen or an alternative will need to be signed.

By sheltering the kids another year, and bringing in solidifying veterans this summer, they are far better prepared to fill those spots above internally while having an excess of funds and assets to bring in the sexy impact player(s) that will excite those who are disappointed now.

Just be patient, its a solid plan. This part of growth is fascinating to me, and for the first time in six years I am more optimistic heading into a season than the year prior.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Not a single prospect traded, not a single important player lost to Seattle, very strong draft, and 3 veteran players added - including 2 legitimate top 6 forwards - for a grand total of 1 second and 1 third round pick. The rebuild is over at this point, look at the prospects we have. The pipeline is loaded and BY FAR the best in the entire league, it's not even close. Time to start bringing in veterans and slowly start improving.
8a10ebcb5d42cca21a69f7fbdd79809c.gif

Reactions: Gjwrams

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad