OT: LA Angels of Anaheim Baseball Discussion (continued again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Let’s see. Trout’s extension would cover the years 2021 and onward. You’re right. Completely stupid that the team would want to ensure that they’re competitive during that period. Much better to completely blow any chance of that and go all out for the second WC the next 2 years.

Imagine the reaction this would get on an actual baseball forum.
And why do you think it’s a given he will extend a with a shitty team?

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
And why do you think it’s a given he will extend a with a ****ty team?
Because the team isn’t shitty? Have been around 80 wins with a decimated pitching staff the last few seasons. The roster has had to be rebuilt with little to no resources due to the complete mismanagement of the system by Dipoto. It’s actually a miracle the organization is in the shape it was in considering how bad it was 3 years ago.

If the team could be around .500 with the players it’s had recently, and absolutely zero help from the farm, imagine what it could do when the prospects actually contribute (either on the field or through trade) to go along with a few FA acquisitions.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Because the team isn’t ****ty? Have been around 80 wins with a decimated pitching staff the last few seasons. The roster has had to be rebuilt with little to no resources due to the complete mismanagement of the system by Dipoto. It’s actually a miracle the organization is in the shape it was in considering how bad it was 3 years ago.

If the team could be around .500 with the players it’s had recently, and absolutely zero help from the farm, imagine what it could do when the prospects actually contribute (either on the field or through trade) to go along with a few FA acquisitions.
They haven’t won a playoff game since 2009 and show no signs of being able to do so any time soon. The team sucks, don’t be in denial.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
They haven’t won a playoff game since 2009 and show no signs of being able to do so any time soon. The team sucks, don’t be in denial.
Like I said, go post these hot takes on an actual baseball board and see what happens. It won’t be pretty.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Like I said, go post these hot takes on an actual baseball board and see what happens. It won’t be pretty.
Yeah saying they haven’t won a playoff game since 09 and aren’t close to contention is a hot take. As if I cared what other delusional Angels fans think. I really thought they were only kept to the subreddit but apparently not.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Yeah saying they haven’t won a playoff game since 09 and aren’t close to contention is a hot take. As if I cared what other delusional Angels fans think. I really thought they were only kept to the subreddit but apparently not.
Ok so you’re the only “sensible” Angel fan. Got it!

The bottom line is the team is in much better shape now than it was when Eppler became GM. This isn’t the NFL or NBA. Things take time. If you can’t see that, then I don’t know what to say.

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Ok so you’re the only “sensible” Angel fan. Got it!

The bottom line is the team is in much better shape now than it was when Eppler became GM. This isn’t the NFL or NBA. Things take time. If you can’t see that, then I don’t know what to say.
You realize we were actually competitive before Eppler came in right?

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Lol. It amazes me how many people are Eppler fanboys. He has absolutely no ****ing clue how to run a baseball team or build a winner. Trout is going to leave in two years because this dumbass thinks building his prospect pool is more important than trying to win in his prime years. Why Angels fans revere him is beyond me.

You aren’t wrong.
Yikes. You know what he should do? Give out huge contracts to stars over 30. That worked out well.

Eppler is doing things the right way. Building from within and supplementing from outside. That's how baseball works.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
You realize we were actually competitive before Eppler came in right?
No we weren't. Dipoto/Reagins f***ed up the team badly and our future badly.

Regardless, I think the team has to show they can win in at least one of the next 2 seasons if they want to re-sign Trout

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Yikes. You know what he should do? Give out huge contracts to stars over 30. That worked out well.

Eppler is doing things the right way. Building from within and supplementing from outside. That's how baseball works.
You’re putting words in my mouth.
No we weren't. Dipoto/Reagins ****ed up the team badly and our future badly.

Regardless, I think the team has to show they can win in at least one of the next 2 seasons if they want to re-sign Trout
Angels were the best team in the league in 2014 and a game away from playoffs in 2015. Eppler hasn’t come close to that.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
You’re putting words in my mouth.

Angels were the best team in the league in 2014 and a game away from playoffs in 2015. Eppler hasn’t come close to that.
Okay, that has the appearance of a fluke season in the grand scheme of things...it was their only playoff season in the Dipoto era. The infrastructure and talent was decimated by Dipoto and player development was terrible.

Eppler is trying to rebuild the mess but the problem is the Angels have the ultimate win-now super star player on their team. Tough

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Okay, that has the appearance of a fluke season in the grand scheme of things. The infrastructure and talent was decimated by Dipoto and player development was terrible.

Eppler is trying to rebuild the mess but the problem is the Angels have the ultimate win-now super star player on their team. Tough
Yeah alright. All the Angels fans who are in love with this guy can have fun being perpetually mediocre when Trout leaves and the team is stuck in a bullshit rebuild. But he got the farm system back up from #30 to #15 so clearly he's a genius!

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Yeah alright. All the Angels fans who are in love with this guy can have fun being perpetually mediocre when Trout leaves and the team is stuck in a bull**** rebuild. But he got the farm system back up from #30 to #15 so clearly he's a genius!
Wow. I have never called him a genius. I've said he took over in a tough spot. We had no prospect currency to spend to acquire the talent you want in order to win-now and the budget had been blown on Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton.

We didn't have any money to spend (blame Arte if you want to blame someone). Seriously, how was he supposed to turn us into a WS contender the last 3 years.

The team hasn't been 1 piece away from WS contention either, so if your solution is 'trade Adell for DeGrom' or whatever, we still fall short.

I won't be able to determine if he is a truly good or bad GM until he has some prospect currency and spending money built up and we get to see his true decision making.

He had very few assets when he took over

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Wow. I have never called him a genius. I've said he took over in a tough spot. We had no prospect currency to spend to acquire the talent you want in order to win-now and the budget had been blown on Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton.

We didn't have any money to spend (blame Arte if you want to blame someone). Seriously, how was he supposed to turn us into a WS contender the last 3 years.

The team hasn't been 1 piece away from WS contention either, so if your solution is 'trade Adell for DeGrom' or whatever, we still fall short.

I won't be able to determine if he is a truly good or bad GM until he has some prospect currency and spending money built up and we get to see his true decision making.

He had very few assets when he took over
He has both of these, our prospect pool has been built up and our payroll has been cut considerably in the last few years. He has done nothing with it.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He has both of these, our prospect pool has been built up and our payroll has been cut considerably in the last few years. He has done nothing with it.
This is the first season where our farm system is acceptable and The Winter Meetings just started dude. Back away from the ledge...

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Jerry DiPoto (Angels GM)
2012.... 89 - 73 (0.549)
2013.... 78 - 84 (0.481)
2014.... 98 - 64 (0.605) * Won AL West Division
2015.... 85 - 77 (0.525) (and Stoneman as GM... DiPoto quit halfway through the season b/c Moreno didn't back up the GM)

Billy Eppler (Angels GM)
2016.... 74 - 88 (0.457)
2017.... 80 - 82 (0.494)
2018.... 80 - 82 (0.494)

Eppler took over a team that was posting over .500 record for three out of four seasons under DiPoto.

Jerry DiPoto (Mariners GM)
2016.... 86 - 76 (0.531)
2017.... 78 - 84 (0.481)
2018.... 89 - 73 (0.549)

In that same span, DiPoto posted over .500 twice with the Mariners. In 2015, the Mariners posted a below 0.500 season.

The farm system was bare when DiPoto became GM. When owner Moreno wanted to sign FA 1B Pujols, it cost the Angels a first round pick. That same year, Dipoto traded for starting pitcher Greinke. Dipoto probably wanted retain Greinke (b/c he gave up valuable assets to acquire Greinke) after the season ended. Instead, owner Moreno stepped in again and wanted free agent outfield slugger Hamilton. Hamilton cost the Angels another first round pick. That was a terrible transaction and revealed how an owner can set back the organization years by stealing away a first round pick two years in a row.

Under Dipoto, he made a concerted effort in replenishing the farm with pitchers or trading for young pitchers.

With Eppler, he went a different direction. He opted for offense and defense over pitching. Eppler traded a plethora of young pitchers for assets for his current team. Simba (Simmons), Upton, and Ohtani paired with Trout, one would believe they would perform better. Eppler's way hasn't netted a .500 team under his 3-year tenure. There is no way you can say that Eppler performed better than a DiPoto management with the Angels as of yet. Now, compare each GM with their respective teams from 2016 - present. DiPoto still wins in that 3-year set. I don't know what other excuses you want to put up, but Eppler inherited an above .500 team.

As for what Eppler has planned for the Angels this winter... welp, a bunch of small things. Here's a link to some tweets that confirms so:
The Angels have gone from going for a touchdown to being "off the football field", per Billy Eppler

Eppler has accrued some great talent in Simba and Ohtani along with good talent in Upton. Yet, Dipoto still reigns supreme. Remember, Eppler needed assets to land Simba and other talents. So let's end this lie that DiPoto left Eppler with nothing. In three years under Eppler, we're still far away from putting up a competent whole team to go over .500, let alone a playoff team to that of 2014.

Reactions: mymerlincat

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Jerry DiPoto (Angels GM)
2012.... 89 - 73 (0.549)
2013.... 78 - 84 (0.481)
2015.... 85 - 77 (0.525) (and Stoneman as GM... DiPoto quit halfway through the season b/c Moreno didn't back up the GM)

Billy Eppler (Angels GM)
2016.... 74 - 88 (0.457)
2017.... 80 - 82 (0.494)
2018.... 80 - 82 (0.494)

Eppler took over a team that was posting over .500 record for three out of four seasons under DiPoto.

2016.... 86 - 76 (0.531)
2017.... 78 - 84 (0.481)
2018.... 89 - 73 (0.549)

In that same span, DiPoto posted over .500 twice with the Mariners. In 2015, the Mariners posted a below 0.500 season.

The farm system was bare when DiPoto became GM. When owner Moreno wanted to sign FA 1B Pujols, it cost the Angels a first round pick. That same year, Dipoto traded for starting pitcher Greinke. Dipoto probably wanted retain Greinke (b/c he gave up valuable assets to acquire Greinke) after the season ended. Instead, owner Moreno stepped in again and wanted free agent outfield slugger Hamilton. Hamilton cost the Angels another first round pick. That was a terrible transaction and revealed how an owner can set back the organization years by stealing away a first round pick two years in a row.

Under Dipoto, he made a concerted effort in replenishing the farm with pitchers or trading for young pitchers.

With Eppler, he went a different direction. He opted for offense and defense over pitching. Eppler traded a plethora of young pitchers for assets for his current team. Simba (Simmons), Upton, and Ohtani paired with Trout, one would believe they would perform better. Eppler's way hasn't netted a .500 team under his 3-year tenure. There is no way you can say that Eppler performed better than a DiPoto management with the Angels as of yet. Now, compare each GM with their respective teams from 2016 - present. DiPoto still wins in that 3-year set. I don't know what other excuses you want to put up, but Eppler inherited an above .500 team.

As for what Eppler has planned for the Angels this winter... welp, a bunch of small things. Here's a link to some tweets that confirms so:
The Angels have gone from going for a touchdown to being "off the football field", per Billy Eppler

Eppler has accrued some great talent in Simba and Ohtani along with good talent in Upton. Yet, Dipoto still reigns supreme. Remember, Eppler needed assets to land Simba and other talents. So let's end this lie that DiPoto left Eppler with nothing. In three years under Eppler, we're still far away from putting up a competent whole team to go over .500, let alone a playoff team to that of 2014.
Agree with everything you said here. I have no clue where the Eppler love/Dipoto hate comes from.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Jerry DiPoto (Angels GM)
2012.... 89 - 73 (0.549)
2013.... 78 - 84 (0.481)

Billy Eppler (Angels GM)
2016.... 74 - 88 (0.457)
2017.... 80 - 82 (0.494)
2018.... 80 - 82 (0.494)

2016.... 86 - 76 (0.531)
2017.... 78 - 84 (0.481)
2018.... 89 - 73 (0.549)

Lol you actually posted the records under both GMs.

Reactions: AngelDuck

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
Jerry DiPoto was a great GM. He was so good that he turned our farm system into a joke and took years to rebuild and also squandered an opportunity to get Vladimir Guerrero Jr. Lets ask most Angel and Mariner fans what they think of him.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Jerry DiPoto was a great GM. He was so good that he turned our farm system into a joke and took years to rebuild and also squandered an opportunity to get Vladimir Guerrero Jr. Lets ask most Angel and Mariner fans what they think of him.
Billy Eppler is a great GM. He’s so good that he took a winning ball club with the best player in baseball in his prime and turned them into a sub 500 team who is looking to rebuild rather than win games.

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
Billy Eppler is a great GM. He’s so good that he took a winning ball club with the best player in baseball in his prime and turned them into a sub 500 team who is looking to rebuild rather than win games.
No one says he is a great GM. How they the hell is he suppose to field a good team when he had to work with a farm system that was ranked dead last in the league for a couple of seasons, tons of injuries to the pitching staff, and being restricted on what free agents he could sign because of the horrendous contracts given out by the previous GM. I want to go post your love for DiPoto on a real baseball forum like AngelsWin and take a screen shot of all tbe responses you get.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
No one says he is a great GM. How they the hell is he suppose to field a good team when he had to work with a farm system that was ranked dead last in the league for a couple of seasons, tons of injuries to the pitching staff, and being restricted on what free agents he could sign because of the horrendous contracts given out by the previous GM. I want to go post your love for DiPoto on a real baseball forum like AngelsWin and take a screen shot of all tbe responses you get.
The poster above already proved everything you said wrong. And like I said, I really don’t care if people disagree with me or not. Not sure why you care so much about people telling me I’m wrong.

It’s comical to me the length Angels fans go to defend a GM who has done jack shit, and how snarky they get in their defense of him. I can’t wait to see the excuses people come up with for him once Trout bails.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The poster above already proved everything you said wrong. And like I said, I really don’t care if people disagree with me or not. Not sure why you care so much about people telling me I’m wrong.

It’s comical to me the length Angels fans go to defend a GM who has done jack ****, and how snarky they get in their defense of him. I can’t wait to see the excuses people come up with for him once Trout bails.
You're complaining about snark while insulting anyone and everyone who doesn't agree with you in almost every reply. That's ironic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad