Post-Game Talk: LA 5 - EDM 2 We Suck Again?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The city made a mistake getting rid of so many of its historic buildings downtown in the 70’s and 80’s. You preserve and build around that stuff.

Amen. I've felt that since I was a kid here. I remember my parents telling me to look at this or that (several buildings which I could list still today) telling me I was seeing it for the last time. Couldn't understand a City that kills its historic heart like that then, can understand it even less now. Still happening too.

But even with Rexall, I've lamented many of times here that the history of this org, that anybody would want to remember, is there, not at Rogers Place, and so of course the COE can't wait to dynamite the place..

I don't get it.

Reactions: RegDunlop

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Hitch isn't the answer. He'll put good players in his dog house and praise the terrible ones. Soon McDavid will be traded because he doesn't fit Hitch's system. You have to get him the heck out of there and fast. He can't even coach a win over the Kings?
When has this ever happened?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Amen. I've felt that since I was a kid here. I remember my parents telling me to look at this or that (several buildings which I could list still today) telling me I was seeing it for the last time. Couldn't understand a City that kills its historic heart like that then, can understand it even less now. Still happening too.

But even with Rexall, I've lamented many of times here that the history of this org, that anybody would want to remember, is there, not at Rogers Place, and so of course the COE can't wait to dynamite the place..

I don't get it.
Bulldozing Recall makes sense only because everything proposed to do with it will cost more than bulldozing and replacing. If it was even a nice looking building I'd agree but it is literally a bit cement cylinder with no character.

Reactions: TB12 and Porkleaker

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
McLellan never should have been here to start the year. He was the same guy as he was the year before and the result? We are behind the 8 ball a bit having to try and work a new coach in 1/4 way though the year.
Very good point.

People can go on about cliches and/or Chia, but at the end of the day any coach needs time to get through to his players. Heck, even as a coach just knowing your players take a bit of time.

The assisstant coach change wasn't bad in my view and I like who was brought in, but it clearly was not enough.

Not an excellent start, but 3 pts in 3 GP on the road is not a disaster imo, especially since one of those games was against SJS.

space321

May 11, 2011
Very good point.

People can go on about cliches and/or Chia, but at the end of the day any coach needs time to get through to his players. Heck, even as a coach just knowing your players take a bit of time.

The assisstant coach change wasn't bad in my view and I like who was brought in, but it clearly was not enough.

People can blame the coach all they want, but at the end of the day, if the roster isn't good enough no coach can change that.

Reactions: Shathar

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
People can blame the coach all they want, but at the end of the day, if the roster isn't good enough no coach can change that.
You are right about that. But a coach also needs time to get the players with him. The roster in Vegas last year was not good enough in theory, but they found their identity, their way to win and rolled with it.

I think this is not as bad of a roster as others do, but they need to perform this season. No more excuses. I am giving them until New Year's, that's a good stretch of games with a lot of them being against the western-C and a lot at home. They probably need to win 10 games before New Years to still be in the race.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
I predicted a win streak coming but this year feels like a copy of last year. Again underwhelming and under-performing team through 2 months, season now depends again on their performance in December. Again have a favorable December schedule. If Oilers have a strong month, playoffs are a real possibility, if they blow it then its curtains for the season.

Reactions: LaGu

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I'm a student of history, geography, etc. I know this land. I Devour stuff on Canadian history.

When we went to Halifax we went to the docks, the Immigration site, Pier 21, Canada's Ellis Island of sorts, and visualised my parents immigration half a century earlier. Sobering moments. I've taken the train across the country a number of times to experience their journey as well. I once did the journey fasting like they did. The only thing I haven't done is take a steerage rust bucket across the Atlantic and be sick to death for 2-3 weeks..

Just watched a documentary on the "Hector" ship that took some initial Scot settlers to New Scotland. That was a good one. Incredible hardships people endured.

Hey I could write volumes on the Bedford explosion too, visited a lot of the Titanic graves as well as historic cemeteries in Halifax area where people are interred from the Titanic and Bedford disasters.
Went to the War or Navy museum while in Halifax, also took in the Citadel fort. Louisburg, Alexander Graham Bell museum etc. I love the history of this land from coast to coast..

I'm kind of displaced in Edmonton which so lacks built, preserved, history compared to much of the rest of the country. But I travel the country when I get a chance. Almost always by rail. (historic, and I love train travel)

That Ship Hector is where I live. It brought over the Scots to my area. They have a replica of the ship in the Pictou Harbour. The original passenger manifest is there as well. Next time I’m in Pictou, I’ll take a picture of boat . I have been thru it.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
seems like a good idea, or just go on a week long bender to try and forget lol. Getting so involved with this failure of a team takes a toll, the only thing we've really go to look forward to is Chia getting fired.
Week long blenders are for kids. I stay sober the month of January every year and then go for a 334 days long blender. That's the secret behind remaining positive, my memory is like 2-3 games back at the most :laugh:
:cheers:

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I watched the game last night on PVR after knowing the result. Which may have altered my perception of it.
Ya another loss, but the Oilers were by far the better team, the LA goaltender made several ridiculous saves.
If the team is able to maintain this play we will be winning often.
I thought we played ok not great. Too many mistakes costing goals (seems like every boo boo the puck ends in our net.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I thought we played ok not great. Too many mistakes costing goals (seems like every boo boo the puck ends in our net.
Kinda what I saw. Not a terrible game but these are the ones where we need results. Lucic looked alright almost can't get a goal. Need more offense from the team. McDavid was flying but couldn't get anything really or a call.

space321

May 11, 2011
You are right about that. But a coach also needs time to get the players with him. The roster in Vegas last year was not good enough in theory, but they found their identity, their way to win and rolled with it.

I think this is not as bad of a roster as others do, but they need to perform this season. No more excuses. I am giving them until New Year's, that's a good stretch of games with a lot of them being against the western-C and a lot at home. They probably need to win 10 games before New Years to still be in the race.

I guess we'll see what happens in a month, but I really am not holding my breath for anything lol

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
DB6FE1AD-99C9-4E29-9F16-C0BBA0007093.jpeg
That Ship Hector is where I live. It brought over the Scots to my area. They have a replica of the ship in the Pictou Harbour. The original passenger manifest is there as well. Next time I’m in Pictou, I’ll take a picture of boat . I have been thru it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Klefbom was asked some questions after this game by Swe media, when asked about the differences and systems by Hitch he said that for now it's been very little focus on D and a lot of focus on fwds. It will come, but it doesn't take a couple of days to turn a team around if you're talking system change.

The overall chief concerns I have the last 2 games are not due to system or what is being deployed. its basically not matching intensity, want, desire. Both the Ducks and Kings have depleted lineups and serious injuries to key players. These are suffering teams that should have been able to be put down. In both instances though the Oilers got outworked, out skated, overwhelmingly lost puck battles.

We lost these last two games in the trenches, not in HQ far from the front..

Last night the Kings simply wanted it more, which is rare from them this season. Several Kings, really their core, take the Edmonton Oilers games as a mission statement. These are the games that still matter to the Kings. But of course it should matter to the Oilers players as well.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta

They were the better team for the majority of the game. Problem is, that's probably only 35 minutes.

The team seems to play different when Talbot is in net, and rightfully so. I think his time here is all but finished. Koskinen will ultimately get the starting position. Obviously you're going to play Talbot against the weakest competition like last night.

Chia needs to trade Talbot and just bring Montoya up. This will give us 3 million in cap space that we can use to try and find some sort of scoring on the wing.

Reactions: Mez

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Be lots of puke of that boat ride

The documentary went into that. Several diseases/epidemic on board as well. Some died on board, more afterwards. Basically everybody got off the boat feeling half dead and starving. Rations went long before the ship arrived and many survived at all on one wealthy passengers horde of partially moldy oatmeal biscuits. The people were so hungry they would eat rats, if any were found on board.

The ship also arrived late in fall. So no food, no ability to grow any until the next year, no provision, no shelter. Get off boat starving and then have to learn how to hunt and scavenge something while having the energy left to fell and drag and cut timbers to make winter shelter. Many would have starved outright without help from Micmacs and others who were later killed.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
The overall chief concerns I have the last 2 games are not due to system or what is being deployed. its basically not matching intensity, want, desire. Both the Ducks and Kings have depleted lineups and serious injuries to key players. These are suffering teams that should have been able to be put down. In both instances though the Oilers got outworked, out skated, overwhelmingly lost puck battles.

We lost these last two games in the trenches, not in HQ far from the front..

Last night the Kings simply wanted it more, which is rare from them this season. Several Kings, really their core, take the Edmonton Oilers games as a mission statement. These are the games that still matter to the Kings. But of course it should matter to the Oilers players as well.
That is worrying indeed, although I hope it changes and Hitch gets the guys going in his direction. He's a lot about effort.

Klefbom added:
"piss poor game"
"we lost the game, LA didn't win it" (para-phrasing)

Not enough self-scutinizing in the interview imo but I'll leave that be since we're not really discussing one player here.

Let's see what happens going forward. If this is the effort level they put in in December then we can put a fork in this team by January, they'll be done.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
The documentary went into that. Several diseases/epidemic on board as well. Some died on board, more afterwards. Basically everybody got off the boat feeling half dead and starving. Rations went long before the ship arrived and many survived at all on one wealthy passengers horde of partially moldy oatmeal biscuits. The people were so hungry they would eat rats, if any were found on board.

The ship also arrived late in fall. So no food, no ability to grow any until the next year, no provision, no shelter. Get off boat starving and then have to learn how to hunt and scavenge something while having the energy left to fell and drag and cut timbers to make winter shelter. Many would have starved outright without help from Micmacs and others who were later killed.
What would be the top 5 places to visit in Canada if you are a history enthusiast?
Serious question.

My wife and are planning to go within a year or so (I am trying to align any visit with Oilers games...) and we both love history. Nature as well but that seems to be easier, Canada seems to be full of beautiful nature.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
What would be the top 5 places to visit in Canada if you are a history enthusiast?
Serious question.

My wife and are planning to go within a year or so (I am trying to align any visit with Oilers games...) and we both love history. Nature as well but that seems to be easier, Canada seems to be full of beautiful nature.

Quebec City, PEI, Halifax and area, Louisbourg on Cape Breton Island, Annapolis Royal. Oh and Windsor NS, the birthplace of hockey!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad