Sportsnet: Kypreos: Tim Leiweke wants to bring in Brendan Shanahan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I'm not sure I buy that. Nonis is already guaranteed his money whether he gets fired or not, and sinking the franchise to prevent being fired(if that makes sense, which it doesn't) will only hurt his chances of getting another job.

it's not only about the money when it comes to self preservation motives.

Having to move the wife and kids again?

hurt his chances of getting another job?

Not trying to achieve what your owner and Boss set as their top priority.

you want to never get hired again in the NHL?

the surest way of doing that is not trying to reach the goals set by your superiors.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I have no problem Shanahan being President of Hockey Op's. I think the guy has presence and is driven, was around a very successful organization and experienced what it is to win.

100% on board with this.

Just the first part in many moves I believe will reshape the Leafs. We're not that bad and he will make us better.

Part 1: Hire Shanahan.

Part 2: Remove Dion as Captain, if he doesn't want that then look to move him.

And how, exactly, do you think having someone who has "presence and is driven" going to help the Leafs purge the roster of dead wood and bring in talent?

How exactly do you think having someone who has presence and is driven, going to teach this roster how to play defense, or about consistency, or about work ethic ?

How will it improve their confidence?

It's absolutely laughable, that this is a smoke and mirrors move and some of you guys are buying it hook, line, and sinker. I really thought Leafs fans were smarter than this.

Like dangling a raw piece of rotten meat in front of a starved dog - the dog always bites.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
And how, exactly, do you think having someone who has "presence and is driven" going to help the Leafs purge the roster of dead wood and bring in talent?

How exactly do you think having someone who has presence and is driven, going to teach this roster how to play defense, or about consistency, or about work ethic ?

It's absolutely laughable, that this is a smoke and mirrors move and some of you guys are buying it hook, line, and sinker. I really thought Leafs fans were smarter than this.

Like dangling a raw piece of rotten meat in front of a starved dog - the dog always bites.

Nahhh common, don't be so jaded.

The rumour comes out right when we get eliminated from making the playoffs, please that's just shear dumb luck.

Just like when Dion inked his deal , there is no marketing or PR spin around this organisation , all they want to do is win the cup.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
ladies and gentlemen, your future Maple Leafs front office:

President of Hockey Ops - Brendan Shannahan
General Manager - Doug Gilmour
Strength and Conditioning Coach: Gary Roberts
Head Coach: Drake Berehowsky

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012

other made up title: wayne gretzky

Last edited:

ThirdRowGreens

Nov 18, 2011
Ottawa
That's about as much as I could see him wanting to come to Toronto is because it's close to home. Obviously it depends on what position we're offering him but I think TL would be throwing more money at him then anything..

Hmmm.. dishing out suspensions and being criticized by every team/player in the league, vs. getting back into the trenches to try building a winner (and potentially be immortalized in the centre of the hockey universe)... I know which one I would choose

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I feel dirty posting his stuff but..

@simmonssteve 17s
When Nonis signed his 5-year deal with Leafs he was told that 1 day there will likely be team exec above him. And he's OK with that. #shanny

Lol at everyone posting that this meant nonis would be leaving.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
So much speculation made by common posters hear that were spewed just to fit their own agenda. Sad.

Pres of hockey ops would not mean the dismissal of Nonis.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Hey guys,

In my opinion, Brendan Shanahan would be a good hire by the Toronto Maple Leafs. However, I am not sure if Shanahan would be able to resist the temptation of re-signing fellow Mimico native Dave Bolland to a multi-year contract worth at least $5 million per year in the upcoming offseason. What do you think?

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2014/04/10/the_pros_and_cons_of_hiring_brendan_shanahan.html

If the reports are true, the Maple Leafs could be on the verge of hiring Brendan Shanahan to an unspecified high-ranking executive role. Is hiring the current director of NHL Player Safety a good idea?

Here are five reasons why it’s a good idea and five reasons why it’s a bad idea.

GOOD

1. Shanahan is local (from Mimico), and he’s a Hall of Famer who won three Stanley Cups as a player with the Detroit Red Wings. His name screams “winner.†This city needs a hometown hero in their front office and a feel-good story. His link to a winning organization like the Red Wings, who have made the Stanley Cup playoffs for 23 straight seasons, makes MLSE CEO Tim Leiweke drool. He would also have cachet with the players because of his reputation as a character guy in the NHL.

2. As top cop in the NHL, he built a reputation for being unafraid to make unpopular decisions. This is the kind of hard-nosed leader that Leiweke values. (Of course, one of those decisions was handing the Leafs’ David Clarkson a 10-game suspension to start the season.) If Leiweke needs someone to come in and clean house (by firing GM Dave Nonis and coach Randy Carlyle), then Shanahan would be the ideal man.

3. Shanahan could be a ....

Last edited by a moderator:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Nahhh common, don't be so jaded.

The rumour comes out right when we get eliminated from making the playoffs, please that's just shear dumb luck.

Just like when Dion inked his deal , there is no marketing or PR spin around this organisation , all they want to do is win the cup.

I laughed.

The suggestion has been that they've been talking for a few weeks now, but then, less than 24 hours after playoff elimination, it just happens to be leaked to a guy who is relatively close to folks at MLSE?

Lol.

Smoke and mirrors, folks. Smoke and mirrors.

It's a distraction to take your mind off of what you should be focused on.

We mock the Canucks for pulling out Linden from behind curtain #1 because season ticket holders can't find a pair of clean underwear, but choose to ignore it when it's right in front of our faces.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Never saw hockeywiz comment before. I thought he was a robot posting links :laugh: kidding - thanks for posting.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

Exactly. This is the shiny toy you give your kid when you would rather get drunk with your friends than take him fishing like you promised.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT

You forgot assistant coaches Wendel Clark and Darcy Tucker.

:sarcasm:

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Shanny could still fire him.

Well what exactly do you propose to do?

Well, not hire another exec. This does what exactly? Tell everyone with an IQ over 50 that the ones they have aren't capable of doing their job or tell everyone but Shanny there's a new scapegoat in town, and best part, he's an ex-Red Wing, so no love lost. There is no meaning to this. Who's job is he doing? Nonis? Leweike isn't firing Nonis. Leweike's? Why a year later? He can't do it? How many guys do you need to sink this ship, because it's looking a lot like Ballard was underrated. It only took him for 20 years, not a whole corporation

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I don't think it's ever a bad thing to bring in a a proven winner, a guy who knows the NHL well and has connections across the league

Let him decide on the fate of Nonis et al

And like the article above stated:
Successful hockey teams are moving toward this new model of hiring.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I laughed.

The suggestion has been that they've been talking for a few weeks now, but then, less than 24 hours after playoff elimination, it just happens to be leaked to a guy who is relatively close to folks at MLSE?

Lol.

Smoke and mirrors, folks. Smoke and mirrors.

It's a distraction to take your mind off of what you should be focused on.

We mock the Canucks for pulling out Linden from behind curtain #1 because season ticket holders can't find a pair of clean underwear, but choose to ignore it when it's right in front of our faces.

I'm not sure I understand your point.

Did you not expect a President(if this is what Shanahan would be) to be hired at some point?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Well, not hire another exec. This does what exactly? Tell everyone with an IQ over 50 that the ones they have aren't capable of doing their job or tell everyone but Shanny there's a new scapegoat in town, and best part, he's an ex-Red Wing, so no love lost. There is no meaning to this. Who's job is he doing? Nonis? Leweike isn't firing Nonis. Leweike's? Why a year later? He can't do it? How many guys do you need to sink this ship, because it's looking a lot like Ballard was underrated. It only took him for 20 years, not a whole corporation

Still doesnt tell me what you would do. Saying " i wouldn't do this" and criticizing is easy.

IMO "President of Hockey Operations" is pretty much the GM of yesteryear, we've just renamed it. Its akin to what Burke was when he was here. The public face of the franchise vs the grunts doing the work.

New guys always bring in their own guy at some point. This is that happening, only taking the route other teams are going.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Still doesnt tell me what you would do. Saying " i wouldn't do this" and criticizing is easy.

IMO "President of Hockey Operations" is pretty much the GM of yesteryear, we've just renamed it. Its akin to what Burke was when he was here. The public face of the franchise vs the grunts doing the work.

New guys always bring in their own guy at some point. This is that happening, only taking the route other teams are going.

Fine. Before I would make a hire that, like Neely and Robitaille, are figureheads for the fanbase, and that is all they are, I would at the very least make it known what is expected of a GM, coach, Scouts ect and that failure isn't one of them, especially after handcuffing the team with contracts that are basically unmovable and don't allow us to upgrade a single position without downgrading multiple. I would expect that the fanbase would be upset and not make a token move that does nothing to fix what's broken. He has done nothing of the like. What does Shanny bring? He has no experience. This is akin to hiring employee of the month to run your company, and just like the other two mentioned, the decisions are still made by Lombardi and Chiarelli and they jump pump their fists to the music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad