Sportsnet: Kypreos: Tim Leiweke wants to bring in Brendan Shanahan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
This is reminding me of the time it was reported that MLSE met with Scotty Bowman about bringing him in to run the Leafs, but Bowman didn't tell Peddie what he wanted to hear, so they did the Fletcher/Burke thing instead.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Leiweke was the President of the La Kings through out their rebuild from early 2000 to they become Stanley Cup champions in 2012. Well the true rebuild did not really start until they cleared house in 2006 and hired Dean Lombardi to do his thing.

So if he follows pattern from his days in LA he know he can turn around a soccer franchise pretty easily if he is committed to it and spend the cash. After all, all the best players play out side of the MLS and even the mediocre ones (among top players) like Defoe or the ones on the down hill of the careers like Beckham can make an impact.

But he has seen up close how much work and how long it takes to turn a hockey franchise around with all the restrictions, the draft and the fact that all the best players are already signed with other NHL teams. Sure, he is a suit and he is looking for ways to earn more money but he is also some one who wants to be a winner. In pro sports that is actually a good combination.

As Leiweke said in an interview.

Kings General Manager Dean Lombardi did an excellent job in building the team from rubble and in adding Mike Richards and Jeff Carter, the final pieces that led to the Kings' 2012 Stanley Cup title.

"The experience that I went through in L.A. and watching how Dean built that team," Leiweke said, "not only do I probably admire him more now than I should have then, but I also understand how much work we still have to do here to get to where we have to get to."

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...lse_names_new_ceo_from_los_angeles_kings.html

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper 28m
Could #Rangers situation regarding Sather's future be delaying Shanahan's decision to accept #Leafs offer? More on @Sportsnet Connected

Well he already lives in NY and he used to play for them so perhaps make more sense for him. But I would hate to lose out on a signing to the Rangers again.

Hopefully he sees the potential to have more influence on the direction the Leafs will take then he would with the Rangers. Ok, that is just me hoping that to be the case.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Meh if his heart is in New York it's for the best he doesn't take a job he's not prepared to throw himself in.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
Leafs Coach & Head Office Changes OFFSEASON

So the talk around MLSE is of change with the recent Rumor of Brendan Shanahan being hired as the President of Hockey Operations and would be a go around between Dave Nonis and Tim Leiweke.

So i have two things. Who would be the top coaching candidates and top Head Office jobs for our beloved Toronto Maple Leafs.

COACHING

We need a young coach that can work with this young inexperienced team or a coach that can show them how to be defensively responsible.

1.Guy Boucher
2.Peter Laviolette
3.Kevin Dineen

HEAD OFFICE JOBS

If Dave Nonis does survive the purge i would be surprised as i see big changes coming to the head office i don't just mean the GM i also mean many of the positions that have been with this team for the past 5 years. Who do you guys think would be a candidate for these positions?

President of Hockey Operations:Brendan Shanahan?
Senior Vice President & General Manager: Dave Nonis
Vice President of Hockey Operations: Dave Poulin
Vice President & Assistant General Manager: Claude Loiselle

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
My suggestions for the head office for next season would be

President of Hockey Operations: Brendan Shanahan
Senior Vice President & General Manager: Ron Hextall
Vice President of Hockey Operations: Wayne Gretzky

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
No more Loiselle and no more Poulin. There's no tangible results you can point to and say those guys did a great job with. Not development, contracts, cap management, personnel, shrewd scouting, anything.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
I wouldn't mind Shanahan in a role where he doesn't do any coaching or GM duties but holds those people accountable for results. Like a director of hockey ops, president, governor, or whatever.

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
Sportsnet590 The FAN ‏@FAN590 3m
According to @DamoSpin, Brendan Shanahan will join the Maple #Leafs organization immediately after resigning his position with the NHL.

Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin 7m
Shanahan expected to leave NHL post immediately and join Leafs

Greg Brady ‏@bradyfan590 5m
On Shanahan, either a 5 or 6 year agreement. League source says Shanahan will be speaking with Bettman tonight about giving up current role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino