Sportsnet: Kypreos: Tim Leiweke wants to bring in Brendan Shanahan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
to the bolded.

if missing the playoffs seriously threatens your job, your lively hood, where you live, any GM will tend to side with self preservation.

he will hold his players for the push and do his best to save his job , bleeding out asset value won't mean much to them.

the bleeding out of asset values will be the organisations long term problem to deal with, not his. Kind of sounds like what we have been suffering through for 20+ years,no?

I'm not sure I buy that. Nonis is already guaranteed his money whether he gets fired or not, and sinking the franchise to prevent being fired(if that makes sense, which it doesn't) will only hurt his chances of getting another job.

Un33q

Apr 8, 2010
Toronto
This would achieve nothing but keeping Gretzky out of Toronto's head office.

So I'm for it, but it won't solve any problems.

While I don't see it as that black and white, I do agree that this possible addition of shanny doesn't mean everything will change or that it will solve our problems. TL seems like he means business but this to me just looks like bringing in a familiar and beloved icon to the organization that it essence will be nonis' babysitter for the time being until our cap situation and roster woes become much more manageable. My hope is for more but with the leafs, it's always been a wait and see dynamic before u blow your load prematurely.

BlueStorm

Aug 14, 2010
Halifax
Shanahan never wanted to play in TO so screw off. Just like the other dozen or so Ontario superstars who never wanted to play for and help their home team win. Call Doug, if you're going to resurrect old players and turn them into gms.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
If they bring in Shanny I really hope they don't force him to hire a certain GM. For example say TL thinks Ron Hextall should be GM, and basically tells Shanny that's who he has to bring in, I don't think it's a good environment.

Ideally whoever is made Prez is allowed to come in and make his own decisions and build his own group.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Shanahan never wanted to play in TO so screw off. Just like the other dozen or so Ontario superstars who never wanted to play for and help their home team win. Call Doug, if you're going to resurrect old players and turn them into gms.

I think Gilmour is more of a coach then a manager

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
from Hope_smoke twitter acct:

McKenzie on TSN Radio "what this does, is put a fire out. Buffalo wanted Regier's head on a platter and they brought in LaFontaine"

"renew your season tickets, Gillis is gone and here's great Canuck Trevor Linden"

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
from Hope_smoke twitter acct:

McKenzie on TSN Radio "what this does, is put a fire out. Buffalo wanted Regier's head on a platter and they brought in LaFontaine"

"renew your season tickets, Gillis is gone and here's great Canuck Trevor Linden"

Speaking of which, wouldn't Regier be a great replacement for Nonis if he is fired? I'd love to be able to get him in some capacity here and perhaps as a replacement to Nonis if he's forced out.

He did some pretty good things there despite money issues and what not. Probably the only manager out there that I would replace Nonis with without much hesitation.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
He coached the Frontenacs for just 2(poor) seasons, and he's been the GM for the previous 4.

Yea he's done fairly well as a GM. I don't think he's the best evaluator of talent but seems to know how to grease the wheels to make a trade.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Speaking of which, wouldn't Regier be a great replacement for Nonis if he is fired? I'd love to be able to get him in some capacity here and perhaps as a replacement to Nonis if he's forced out.

He did some pretty good things there despite money issues and what not. Probably the only manager out there that I would replace Nonis with without hesitation.

Regier did fine when he was constrained with a small budget. But then when the vaults opened he drove the 18 wheeler over the cliff.

I also attribute his success to an excellent coach in Ruff.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Gilmour is a guy you bring in as an assistant GM. Let him learn the NHL ropes, gain experience, etc. Yzerman didnt get a head GM position until he'd spent a few years assisting Holland in Detroit.

Nicholson, Gretzky, Shannahan, Hextall, etc. We've been tied to a few guys in the last little while. I think all of them could be contributors, but aside from MAYBE Hextall, none should get a head GM position right meow.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Gilmour is a guy you bring in as an assistant GM. Let him learn the NHL ropes, gain experience, etc. Yzerman didnt get a head GM position until he'd spent a few years assisting Holland in Detroit.

Nicholson, Gretzky, Shannahan, Hextall, etc. We've been tied to a few guys in the last little while. I think all of them could be contributors, but aside from MAYBE Hextall, none should get a head GM position right meow.

Hextall's been assistant GM with two franchises now, I think he has a requisite amount of experience.

Would be interested in a management team of Shanahan (President of Hockey Ops) --> Hextall (GM) --> John Stevens (Coach).

What does John Stevens work on with the Kings? Defence and penalty kill. Which team has been one of the best defensively in the league over the last few seasons? The Kings.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
steve simmons ‏@simmonssteve
Tim Leiweke wants Brendan Shanahan. Shanahan has interest in Leafs. Both are being awfully quiet. The betting here is the deal gets done.

If MLSE wants him that badly then it's a done deal. The league can't afford to match anything MLSE offers.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
If MLSE wants him that badly then it's a done deal. The league can't afford to match anything MLSE offers.

Its not just money, its the role. A former star player like Shanny? I think we can all be pretty sure he's a very competitive guy with a lot of pride. The opportunity to play a key role in building an NHL team sounds a lot more appealing, especially to a guy like that, then working for the NHL head office.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
This would achieve nothing but keeping Gretzky out of Toronto's head office.

So I'm for it, but it won't solve any problems.

I'm with you on this , bringing in Shanny is just window dressing but if it keeps Gretz out of Tor i'm also all for this move .

If TL wants a new vision going forward he has to gut the front office and put his own people in place . just hiring a Pres is not enough , Nonis and everyone Burke brought in has to go .

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I'm with you on this , bringing in Shanny is just window dressing but if it keeps Gretz out of Tor i'm also all for this move .

If TL wants a new vision going forward he has to gut the front office and put his own people in place . just hiring a Pres is not enough , Nonis and everyone Burke brought in has to go .

We should not underestimate Shanahan. A lot of smart people have seen that the guy have potential and trusted him in the past.

I think being the guy with the overview at a franchise looking to change things would suit him just perfectly. He have what, 20 years experience as a pro and 4-5 years as a hockey executive. And he is a winner who knows what it takes to win.

From wiki
During the 2004–05 NHL lockout, Shanahan was the mastermind of what was dubbed "The Shanahan Summit," a two-day conference in Toronto. It gathered players, coaches, and other influential voices to discuss improvements to the flow and tempo of the game. Ten recommendations were presented to the League and Players Association.

In December 2009, Shanahan accepted an offer from the NHL to become the NHL's Vice President of Hockey and Business Development.[21] "In a broad sense, I think obviously, I am going to be another voice in the hockey ops, but at the same time people like John Collins and Gary and Bill are going to allow me and teach me the business of hockey,"

On June 1, 2011, Shanahan succeeded Colin Campbell as the NHL's chief player disciplinarian.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Tie Leiweke
Brendan Shanahan (President of Hockey Operations)
Ron Hextall (General Manager)
___________ (Head Coach)

Yes please.

forecheck

May 14, 2007
The only way I like this move is if Shanahan actually laces them up and shows some of these prima donna *****s what it is to play with Heart .

Otherwise the move is just a PR move intended to take our attention away from the fact that this team has no cap space to add players or the ability to get rid of these stiffs that we have locked up long term.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
This whole Brendan Shanahan story reeks of PR jockeying. Smoke and mirrors, and nothing more than that.

What benefit does bringing in Shanahan have on this team? I can't think of a single one, so feel free to let me know. If we are talking about an experienced guy who has a track record of winning, then I could totally understand the move, but this? He's a rookie guy who, despite being well connected in the league, has zero experience on this side of the hockey ledger.

The last thing this team needs right now, is a GM who is under pressure to make a big move. Why put Nonis in that environment. You can have a discussion about whether or not Nonis deserves to be here, but by not firing him you are accepting that he's got some time, and yet by bringing Shanahan in you are essentially pointing a gun in his direction.

If you can't trust the management group over this team enough that you have to bring in a baby****ter in Shanny to keep an eye on their every move, why not just fire them out right and replace them?

I just don't understand how the Leafs benefit from this move at all. It doesn't help them in anyway, and serves to put the GM under even more scrutiny and pressure, which is something that we can't afford to have heading into a very crucial summer for this organization.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I have no problem Shanahan being President of Hockey Op's. I think the guy has presence and is driven, was around a very successful organization and experienced what it is to win.

100% on board with this.

Just the first part in many moves I believe will reshape the Leafs. We're not that bad and he will make us better.

Part 1: Hire Shanahan.

Part 2: Remove Dion as Captain, if he doesn't want that then look to move him.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013

no one wants to play here. That much has been established since what.. the 80s? We don't sign big names here, because they won't sign here when they have the choice. Stay away from Toronto seems to be the player's golden rule in the NHL. Too much attention, too many a**hole media reporters, too many cameras, too much of everything. When we see superstar players in the league - has anyone noticed that we've all been subconciously programmed to understand that *none* of those players will ever play here? Thats no coincidence. We haven't had any sort of high profile player here since who knows... Sundin... and he didn't sign here. No one signs here. When Clarkson signed here, that was the red flag, as someone here has already stated. That signing was the first indication that he would be a bust, because if he was really a high profile player, then there was 0% chance he would be signing here. They just don't come here, they don't want to come here. Who can blame them. Too much media, and the franchise is managed by computers - no one's steering the ship.

The day this team ever sees a Stamkos, a Seguin, an Ovechkin, a Crosby or anyone with a big name is the day the Leafs have empty seats in the ACC - never. It will never ever happen. Wow what a vicious cycle that is. Fans are the biggest problem in this whole scenario. Keep showing up and the team gets worse. Seems that either the Leafs keep finishing in 9th and can't draft a top pick, or if they have the picks to aquire them, then they trade them away - it's as if the GM's are there to sabotage the team, decade after decade. Keeps happening as if it's some sort of hidden agenda or something - make sure the GM keeps trading away picks. Lol well that's pushing it but we get the point. No one's coming here unless they're traded. Won't be through the draft either, and for sure they won't be signing here. Sucks to be a Leaf fan thats for sure. Just gotta look elsewhere for quality sports entertainment, because we won't get it here with this hockey franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad