Confirmed with Link: Kyle Turris [2 years - $1.65M per]

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This about sums up my feelings today.

Ej63gT3XgAAjMPC

These players all around and we select the worst out of the list. Really the only player on the list I would have no interest in.

That and reupping Tyler Ennis. Heart be still.

Not much of a signing day for Holland.
I'd personally rather Holland focus on defense/goaltending from here on out.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Regarding Turris's defensive play, I don't think it will be any worse at 5v5 than a guy like Sheahan for example.

We refer to our bottom-6 players as defensive players because they don't put up any offense. Turris will finally change that trend.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
This about sums up my feelings today.

Ej63gT3XgAAjMPC

These players all around and we select the worst out of the list. Really the only player on the list I would have no interest in.

That and reupping Tyler Ennis. Heart be still.

Not much of a signing day for Holland.

Toffoli and Craig Smith would be great adds but they aren't LW.

We needed a LW to push the needle but probably can't afford Hall. Not a lot out there unless you try to make a trade and Holland spent a lot of 2nd/3rd trade assets already.

If anything, I'm a bit disappointed we couldn't land Wennberg at C and went with Turris instead of a more defensive option. But, I'm going to deep dive on Turris in a moment to see what we have.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Last 2 seasons at 5v5: 43%, 44% GF
48%, 43% high-danger Corsi
40.9%, 38.4% high-danger GF%
FA/60 his entire career has been high but 46.24 last season.

So what is Turris at this point? He's a good passer who is awful defensively.

His best attribute probably can be most helpful on PP unit 2, which we don't even use.

Probably won't be able to PK. Probably won't be able to face top competition defensively.

I just don't get this fit at all.

Best case scenario is the 4th line can handle some tougher defensive assigments, McDavid/Drai improve their two-way game and Turris finds good chemistry with Puljujarvi. That's a lot of bounces you need to go right.

I think a lot of people saw the name and went bonkers in posititivity but sadly this is not the Turris I used to love in Ottawa, it's a husk of that player. Strange fit that had name value. My criticism won't be liked at all here so I should stress - at least it was cheap. It's more of a shame that we aren't adding another C to push Turris down (I like Haas but depth is good) and more knowing this is it.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Turris is the best 3rd line C we've had in a long time. Give him an actual chance. Who else on the roster would you play there, honestly?
Is he a big step up on Sam Gagner? Meh ... I don't think so. I’m not going to criticize the signing because it’s dirt cheap (by NHL standards) and only two years. I doubt he moves the needle very much though.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Like an hour before the TDL I'm on FB with my Dad saying "Do you think Turris could be our 3rd line center?" and he's like "Nah, he doesn't have the tools to play that style and I'm like "Well, he's probably going to be playing with Puljujarvi and they probably want that line to put up some offense. First 2 lines are going to eat up a ton of minutes." And he's like "Nah, I don't see it happening."

I also asked about it in the trade rumor thread before the TDL.
Well, there we go.
That's the first time in a long while that I called a UFA who was not rumored to have links to the Oilers ending up coming to Edmonton.. (Last time might have been Eric Belanger)

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Turris is only 31. If he can capture some of that magic he had in Ottawa...Oh man!

It's an interesting case, because the past 2 coaches for Nashville were not able to get offense out of their skilled forwards and Turris started his career in Arizona and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 99% sure Tippet was coaching back then and he was in the dog house for not being able to play with a level of responsibility up to Tippet's standards and still to this day 2 way hockey isn't what he's known for.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
It's an interesting case, because the past 2 coaches for Nashville were not able to get offense out of their skilled forwards and Turris started his career in Arizona and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 99% sure Tippet was coaching back then and he was in the dog house for not being able to play with a level of responsibility up to Tippet's standards and still to this day 2 way hockey isn't what he's known for.
Well Tippett was the one who lobbied to sign him. Let’s see what we have here.

Reactions: nabob and thadd

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton

Good point. I'm just saying, as he takes the responsibilities as a 3rd line center.
I don't remember a third line center that played for the oilers with Turris skill.
If he manages to be a responsible 2 way player and makes the third line a legitimate threat to score a goal each shift.
I am genuinely excited to have Turris on this team. I really hope he does well here!

His interview is pretty cool. Lol he was loving the oilers locker room XD

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
First impression is that this is a great bargain contract and that Turris could completely change the fortunes of our 3rd line. At bare minimum we've added another one shot scorer. I'm thinking that he comes in and does what we were hoping that Strome would've done.

Reactions: The Nuge

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
So Turris can still pass .....but will need a couple of wingers .....Pulju is pretty good defensively....but Turris going to need a LW that can take centre responsibilites as play swings the other way and someone stronger....and good defensively....

JJ Turris Pulju/Neal....

This only works if Pulju eventually finds his place in the offensive zone.....Turris can get him the puck creatively..

This is still a long shot....to think that Turris is still that skater and one shot scorer....I dunno...
The three ifs...lol

I think C smith would have been a much better get from the Nashville system//

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Is he a big step up on Sam Gagner? Meh ... I don't think so. I’m not going to criticize the signing because it’s dirt cheap (by NHL standards) and only two years. I doubt he moves the needle very much though.
I've never been a big anti-Gagner guy. I would have been happy if the team had resigned him as a cheap utility guy. But Turris is a significant step up at this point. If you compare the two players Turris has had a higher ceiling and was more productive through his prime by a fair bit. He is a significantly better skater, which makes a difference at this age. Turrris is a terrific passer, and he has better goalscoring ability than Gagner had. He's not suited to a defensive role, but he's not horrid defensively either. If the plan is to run a third scoring line with guys like JP and Neal I think he does well.

For some reason Nashville is a place centers go to die. Turris left Ottawa as a low end #1C. His first year in Nashville combined with his 11 games in Ottawa he had 16 goals and 51 points in 76 games. That is one more point than Gagner's best year. Last year he was on pace for 12 goals an 41 points which is about 15-20% less than Gagner produced in his prime with the Oilers. If you can get 12-15 goals and 35 points out of Turris that's a big plus for a team that has lacked production at the #3C spot for a long time. At 40 points he starts to hit the production numbers of a low end #2.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
So Turris can still pass .....but will need a couple of wingers .....Pulju is pretty good defensively....but Turris going to need a LW that can take centre responsibilites as play swings the other way and someone stronger....and good defensively....

JJ Turris Pulju/Neal....

This only works if Pulju eventually finds his place in the offensive zone.....Turris can get him the puck creatively..

This is still a long shot....to think that Turris is still that skater and one shot scorer....I dunno...
The three ifs...lol

I think C smith would have been a much better get from the Nashville system//

I'm hoping they keep Chaison, JJ and Neal together 5 on 5. That was a meat grinder of a line.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Could see Turris and Ennis being a great pair offensively against weak competition. Could see Puljujarvi or Neal on the other side. It shouldn't be a death sentence offensively to play in the bottom six anymore. I like that someone like Kassian can be dropped off the first line now and still maybe have someone to produce with.

Reactions: Oilhawks and ujju2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Barrie deal today could alter my view on the Turris add. I didn't like the look of Turris as an isolation add, but as part of a package of gets, this is looking better. A good transition D like Barrie makes everybody in the lineup look better, and Turris can work better with some ingredients like that, as every forward with skill on the team can.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I've watched every game Turris played with the Predators. I hoped and thought he was our answer at the #2C position which had been a hole in our lineup. In the end, the whole thing left Poile covered in a sticky residue.

He's a straight-line up-and-down play-making C. He can distribute the puck and he was productive in that capacity early on when put between two wingers who could score and the line was cemented without changes.

Things went over a cliff for him though, and the huge contract he got soured things really fast. He had a series of nagging injuries and offensive production nearly flat-lined. He got in the coach's doghouse. They tried him at wing, and he couldn't cut it. His scoring touch evaporated. They tried him in the bottom 6, and he struggled more. He's not a real shooter and he doesn't seem to have the toolbox to really be a creator on his own. He became a JAG in Nashville who failed to show much if any versatility.

Put him at C between two really good forwards in the right system, and maybe you all can rehabilitate him. His stint in Nashville ended up a train wreck.

Honestly, I half expect him to score a hat trick the next time he faces the Preds. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
I've watched every game Turris played with the Predators. I hoped and thought he was our answer at the #2C position which had been a hole in our lineup. In the end, the whole thing left Poile covered in a sticky residue.

He's a straight-line up-and-down play-making C. He can distribute the puck and he was productive in that capacity early on when put between two wingers who could score and the line was cemented without changes.

Things went over a cliff for him though, and the huge contract he got soured things really fast. He had a series of nagging injuries and offensive production nearly flat-lined. He got in the coach's doghouse. They tried him at wing, and he couldn't cut it. His scoring touch evaporated. They tried him in the bottom 6, and he struggled more. He's not a real shooter and he doesn't seem to have the toolbox to really be a creator on his own. He became a JAG in Nashville who failed to show much if any versatility.

Put him at C between two really good forwards in the right system, and maybe you all can rehabilitate him. His stint in Nashville ended up a train wreck.

Honestly, I half expect him to score a hat trick the next time he faces the Preds. lol
I could see Turris and Puljujarvi really working well together in a scoring third line Role, Turris was once drafted third overall he has skills and like you said primarily a playmaker and should gel with an offensive player like Puljujarvi who likes to get open for a big one timer, Add a player like Neal who can crash the net on the LW and things could get interesting.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad