Confirmed with Link: Kyle Turris [2 years - $1.65M per]

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
LOL are some people on this board actually hating or not liking this signing??? I've lost faith in this board

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The Barrie deal today could alter my view on the Turris add. I didn't like the look of Turris as an isolation add, but as part of a package of gets, this is looking better. A good transition D like Barrie makes everybody in the lineup look better, and Turris can work better with some ingredients like that, as every forward with skill on the team can.

Yeh I’ve always thought that the addition of a good offensive D would bring improvements throughout the line up. Oilers have never had a D like this and we’ve never been able to hit that next level.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
He's 31..

I don't follow him and his lack of production the last 2 seasons don't look so great (single digits for goals). Yes, I'm aware Covid shut down the season but his production on the ice just looks off. Whether thats just his usage in Nashville, coaching, linemates etc, it just didn't look good to me. Just to quote David Poile:

"When we made the trade for Kyle ... (he) was a terrific player and he really gave our team a boost," Poile said. "But for whatever reason it hasn't gone well in the last couple years, and those are the things in these next couple weeks that we're going to weigh in terms of what we should do and what we're doing. I don't want to take anything off the table."

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad we found our 3C on a great cap hit and short term, but I'm tempering my expectations here.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I wonder if Holloway will be ready to jump in his role at the end of the deal. Not uncommon for a forward drafted in that range, unless he plans to finish a degree.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I wonder if Holloway will be ready to jump in his role at the end of the deal. Not uncommon for a forward drafted in that range, unless he plans to finish a degree.

I think the plan would be two more years of the NCAA then throw Holloway next to McDavid or Draisaitl, and at the end of Turris' deal you throw McLeod in at 3C. Ideally at the start of 21/22 you run McLeod at 3LW to break him into the NHL and then the following year throw him at 3C.

I have no doubt McLeod will make the NHL, has good size, great skating, and is also great defensively. The question right now is, will he have enough offense to project as a 3C or will he be a 4C due to his lack of offense?

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
It is my prediction as a long time Sens fan who lives in Edmonton and now cheers for the Oilers..

Turris will play top 6 here, most likely as a winger... but perhaps even as 2C

I can see Turris with his high IQ playing on McDavids wing..

I can also see him on the second line allowing McDavid and Drai to play together full time.

Turris and RNH could be magic.

now keep in mind Turris was the quarterback of the most dangerous line on the Sens during our conference finals exit against pittsburg in game 7 double overtime.

Turris plays with skills.. example Mike Hoffman and Mark Stone on his wings and Erik Karlsson on the blue line..

I witnessed a lot of magic happen with Turris as our number 1C.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
As you can see Turris was traded from the Sens in 2017-2018 with 9 points in his first 11 games.. I remember being completely shocked and unhappy with the trade but borderline excited and curious about Duchene coming back the other way.. and the rest is history.

turris really has only had 2 “bad” years.

I expect a full rebound and perhaps even career type year here in edmonton if used correctly. And it’s all nonsense about him being bad defensively he was our number 1C he played a 2 way game we made the playoffs several times with him as our number 1C. Even made it to game 7 double OT of the conference finals double OT against the Pens. The guy was a fighter. We did not belong there!

everyone was playing a crazy defensive system during that run.. did anyone watch all 7 games of that series? It was bananas.. if you want to see Crosby and Malkin crying and the whole pens team visably turning on each other and yelling at each other in frustration.. watch that series lol

5515DFFA-9E0B-448D-85A0-79365C7E93FC.png

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
As you can see Turris was traded from the Sens in 2017-2018 with 9 points in his first 11 games.. I remember being completely shocked and unhappy with the trade but borderline excited and curious about Duchene coming back the other way.. and the rest is history.

turris really has only had 2 “bad” years.

I expect a full rebound and perhaps even career type year here in edmonton if used correctly. And it’s all nonsense about him being bad defensively he was our number 1C he played a 2 way game we made the playoffs several times with him as our number 1C. Even made it to game 7 double OT of the conference finals double OT against the Pens. The guy was a fighter. We did not belong there!

everyone was playing a crazy defensive system during that run.. did anyone watch all 7 games of that series? It was bananas..

View attachment 372151
None of those years are bad for a 1.5 mill a season player. I’m stoked.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
None of those years are bad for a 1.5 mill a season player. I’m stoked.

yeah for sure this is a steal.. I’m just saying I have a feeling he becomes a huge part of this team and a big reason we make the playoffs this year. That’s a prove yourself contract right there!

mans you are correct 0.5 points per game in Nashville playing in the role he was? That’s great production.

Reactions: Oilhawks

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
oil fan in vancouver here. you know you're old when you used to drive out the suburbs to watch a 16 year old kyle turris dismantle the BCHL and now he's signing with edmonton as a 31 year old 3C. happy with this pick up and hope he can find some success here. has been an honest hockey player from the jump.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
oil fan in vancouver here. you know you're old when you used to drive out the suburbs to watch a 16 year old kyle turris dismantle the BCHL and now he's signing with edmonton as a 31 year old 3C. happy with this pick up and hope he can find some success here. has been an honest hockey player from the jump.

I am personally excited to see him get a shot on McDavids wing. He has the IQ imo and played with a similar unpredictable player.. with success.. Erik Karlsson in his prime.

Reactions: Mr Positive

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I think this signing is golden for Oilers.

He will probably in the end of the season be stampled with McDavid, but I like three varinced and threatening lines.
IF Turris stays with McDavid, the third and fourth lines will be AHL lines...
Next centers on the depthchart is Haas and Khaira. Haas has some potential, but its very far from Turris right now.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think this signing is golden for Oilers.

He will probably in the end of the season be stampled with McDavid, but I like three varinced and threatening lines.
IF Turris stays with McDavid, the third and fourth lines will be AHL lines...
Next centers on the depthchart is Haas and Khaira. Haas has some potential, but its very far from Turris right now.
Any chance at McLeod or Lavoie being ready?

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Holland mentions McLeod as a guy who he expects to be in the mix for a roster spot.

Really, its two three years after draft, its time to get a crack on the rooster now. You cant wait forever on those prospects.

I expected Benson to be ready last year, and now I actually lost some hope for him.

This year McLeod, Bouchard, Samorukov, Lavoie should get some playing time, and McLeod and Bouchard should really fight for a spot. Benson? Lost the hope now, thats good for him - playing without pressure.

Ennis McDavid Kassian
Nuge D Y
McLeod Turris Puljujärvi
Neal Haas Chiasson/Khaira/Russell

Should they try,

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Solid, gives us room to play with the rest of the roster. Lets go.
Yup. Always been a fan of him. Quite a handsome character such as myself. Should fit in nicely with the oilers.

the handsome remark was weird. I’m not that handsome.... he is. Kind of

anyway, I’m just making this worse. Sorry :(

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Really, its two three years after draft, its time to get a crack on the rooster now. You cant wait forever on those prospects.

I expected Benson to be ready last year, and now I actually lost some hope for him.

This year McLeod, Bouchard, Samorukov, Lavoie should get some playing time, and McLeod and Bouchard should really fight for a spot. Benson? Lost the hope now, thats good for him - playing without pressure.

Ennis McDavid Kassian
Nuge D Y
McLeod Turris Puljujärvi
Neal Haas Chiasson/Khaira/Russell

Should they try,

When does the KHL season end? Not sure if we'll see Samorukov this upcoming season in North America.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
I expect a full rebound and perhaps even career type year here in edmonton

tfw I realize I’m expecting this from all of Barrie, Turris, and Pulju just like every other Oilers FA signing in the past and it’s actually more than likely not to happen: :help:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Well we are 8 games into the season which isn't a lot, but for a shortened season we are 1/7th of the way through. On this small sample size Turris has struggled in a 3rd line center shutdown role that Tippett has given him with 1 GF and 8 GA at 5 on 5.

So what's the correct course of action?
  • Status quo more games and he'll better adjust to the role.
  • A change in the 3rd lines utilization/role (softer minutes)
  • Promote to be a top 6 winger?
  • Demote? 4th line?

Reactions: tardigrade81

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad