Confirmed with Link: Kyle Palmieri, Travis Zajac (both @50%) for AJ Greer, M Jobst, 21 1st, cdnl 22/23 3rd/4th

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
People keep lambasting the trade because of Zajac, but he was just a parting gift. I don't think we added anything in that trade to get Zajac. And even if you think we did then it was Jobst, or Greer, or both. Would anybody really care if the trade was Jobst and Greer for Zajac?

It's fine worrying about Palmeiri not really clicking or paying off yet, but this Zajac nonsense is wasted letters.
I wouldn’t say it’s wasted letters, and of course it’s hard for any of us to say where the value was directed in the deal.

However, with the reports that we were “close” to getting Hall but Lou preferred the total package from NJ, and Hall did not even return a 1st, it’s easy to speculate that, yes, we did give up something of value for Zajac. Would Palmieri have warranted a 1st on his own? Again, no way for us to know, but it’s easy to draw the parallels with the Hall deal and come to the conclusion that it might have been just a 2nd+ if Zajac was not involved.

Then there’s the value of the 50% retention that also comes into play. As far as Greer and Jobst, they were almost certainly involved only because we were pressed against the contract maximum and would not have been able to add Palmieri, Zajac, and Coburn without trading 2 players. Bridgeport had a ton of forwards and this was a needed roster move.

Again, none of us know for sure what negotiations looked like or how the players are valued among GMs. But I’d say there’s way more evidence to claim that we did give up more because Zajac was involved, rather than to say he was just a parting gift.

And as of now, the Zajac addition is objectively pretty useless unless or until one of our centers goes down. We may be thankful for him at that point. But now, it gives Trotz another misfit toy in a lineup that cannot gel.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Hilariously similar to what people were saying here after the first few games with JGP. He also scored a goal in his first or second game I believe, then was pretty much unnoticeable until the shutdown.

Pageau was immediately signed to a 6 year extension. Anyone who felt that way was foolish. This is a rental. There’s not much time left to turn it around.

Reactions: Hunn

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
People keep lambasting the trade because of Zajac, but he was just a parting gift. I don't think we added anything in that trade to get Zajac. And even if you think we did then it was Jobst, or Greer, or both. Would anybody really care if the trade was Jobst and Greer for Zajac?

It's fine worrying about Palmeiri not really clicking or paying off yet, but this Zajac nonsense is wasted letters.
The problem with Zajac is that having another veteran for Barry to play isn’t the best thing, because it’s clear he’s going to try to shoehorn him into the lineup, even if it doesn’t work.

MY big issue with Zajac though is that there were reports out there that Lou had a deal in place with Buffalo for Hall (whom many of us, myself included) preferred. But then once Zajac was added Lou wanted the depth so he went with NJ instead.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Chemistry is a fickle thing. If they don't get going it'll end up being a terrible trade, but there's still time. I don't blame Lamoriello for making the deal, on paper it made a lot of sense, but it's hard to predict how these things will play out and he deserves criticism for making the deal if it doesn't work.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Chemistry is a fickle thing. If they don't get going it'll end up being a terrible trade, but there's still time. I don't blame Lamoriello for making the deal, on paper it made a lot of sense, but it's hard to predict how these things will play out and he deserves criticism for making the deal if it doesn't work.
This.

Zajac shouldn’t be playing unless a center goes down. Give Palmieri more time, because he theoretically brings goal scoring, but he better pick his shit up soon. He’s been invisible to the point that I don’t even notice him on the ice when I’m actively looking for him

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This.

Zajac shouldn’t be playing unless a center goes down. Give Palmieri more time, because he theoretically brings goal scoring, but he better pick his shit up soon. He’s been invisible to the point that I don’t even notice him on the ice when I’m actively looking for him
I think this is a pertinent point, worth tracking. I mentioned this yesterday, players are not dumb. There is no place in gifting a spot to Palmieri, when this team is built on earning playing time and the coach's trust by merit. Team>individual. Palmieri is no different. The hope is he starts playing to his potential now that he should be settling in. If he doesn't, I am sorry he is no different than MDC, Dobson, Wally, Komarov, Johnston or the benching of Barzal when he makes a mistake. He needs to sit. Players see what is happening. This is why this team is better when all players are equal. A point Barzal made when Lou and Barry came in post Snow.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
MY big issue with Zajac though is that there were reports out there that Lou had a deal in place with Buffalo for Hall (whom many of us, myself included) preferred. But then once Zajac was added Lou wanted the depth so he went with NJ instead.
That is absurd if true

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think this is a pertinent point, worth tracking. I mentioned this yesterday, players are not dumb. There is no place in gifting a spot to Palmieri, when this team is built on earning playing time and the coach's trust by merit. Team>individual. Palmieri is no different. The hope is he starts playing to his potential now that he should be settling in. If he doesn't, I am sorry he is no different than MDC, Dobson, Wally, Komarov, Johnston or the benching of Barzal when he makes a mistake. He needs to sit. Players see what is happening. This is why this team is better when all players are equal. A point Barzal made when Lou and Barry came in post Snow.

Where I think you're correct is that he shouldn't be gifted playing time if he's playing poorly (making mistakes). Palmieri is a veteran player with a proven history though, he's not starting from scratch trying to earn playing time, showcasing what he can bring. He was brought in to provide more offense, not to try out for the team. We'll see what happens, I've liked him some games and he's been unnoticeable in others.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Where I think you're correct is that he shouldn't be gifted playing time if he's playing poorly (making mistakes). Palmieri is a veteran player with a proven history though, he's not starting from scratch trying to earn playing time, showcasing what he can bring. He was brought in to provide more offense, not to try out for the team. We'll see what happens, I've liked him some games and he's been unnoticeable in others.
I have not been too impressed with Palmieri, this is why I cite merit. He needs to be harder on the puck, and less easy turning it over IMO. He does have tenure, which I agree does carry some weight. But to me, that is gone now. If he does not improve, then it would be best for the Isles to play players that may play better. Or finding players that fit better in the line up. Palmieri does not bring much physical play, he is average defensively, so for him production is key. If he is going to score 1 goal every 10 games, I'd rather take my chances with MDC, Bellows, or Komarov who all play heavier games. Something that was very apparent against the Caps.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I have not been too impressed with Palmieri, this is why I cite merit. He needs to be harder on the puck, and less easy turning it over IMO. He does have tenure, which I agree does carry some weight. But to me, that is gone now. If he does not improve, then it would be best for the Isles to play players that may play better. Or finding players that fit better in the line up. Palmieri does not bring much physical play, he is average defensively, so for him production is key. If he is going to score 1 goal every 10 games, I'd rather take my chances with MDC, Bellows, or Komarov who all play heavier games. Something that was very apparent against the Caps.

I don't think Bellows should even be in the conversation. For me, I'm looking at Dal Colle, Komarov, Johnston, Zajac, and eventually Palmieri as the guys who would need to be shuffled in and out of the lineup. Essentially the same three we've used all season + the new additions. I do think opponent impacts what the lineup should be though. What works against the Penguins might not be the best lineup against the Capitals.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
As much as no one wants to admit it, politics does play a factor in this. Lou just gave up a 1st and Palmieri was the center piece of the deal. Trotz is not going to sit Palmieri, end of story.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
As much as no one wants to admit it, politics does play a factor in this. Lou just gave up a 1st and Palmieri was the center piece of the deal. Trotz is not going to sit Palmieri, end of story.
Not until he’s convinced Zajac doesn’t have a role on the team.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Hopefully, his play picks up where politics does not come into it. When that comes into play, it can be a great divider in the room. I say that being sceptical of Commodore's comments of apparent dressing room dissension I read here yesterday. But you never know for sure...These things do happen.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Hopefully, his play picks up where politics does not come into it. When that comes into play, it can be a great divider in the room. I say that being sceptical of Commodore's comments of apparent dressing room dissension I read here yesterday. But you never know for sure...These things do happen.

I don't know how there are locker room issues when the guys aren't allowed to do anything but go to work and go home.

Reactions: MJF

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

What i'm saying is that I believe there was already politics at play. I hope Palmieri's production justifies his deployment as well but I am of the belief that he came in with a longer leash due to his resume and the price Lou played to acquire him.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Ha, no but players could be upset that players went out, broke NHL-COVID rules and weren't caught / penalized for it.

I get there are so many things behind the scenes, I'd just a be a little surprised given how long this team has been together. There aren't too many new faces, that's all.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What i'm saying is that I believe there was already politics at play. I hope Palmieri's production justifies his deployment as well but I am of the belief that he came in with a longer leash due to his resume and the price Lou played to acquire him.
I think this is reasonable to think, vets do have longer leashes. I am looking at it from Komarov's, MDC's, Johnston's, and Bellows view points. They were here all year, they put in some blood and sweat into the Isles season that looks like another playoff rd at least guaranteed. The leash for being a veteran player only carries weight if the player is knocking it out of the park. Other players on the team can see what is going on. This is how bad rooms develop. Continued struggles of the team, and lack of production would make me question the merit based system this team has cultivated. It is only human nature. The 10 day halo period is over, time for Palmieri to earn his spot on the team. Enough of this vet stuff.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
This doesn't make sense to me either. The way I see it is a team has a need and you make a trade to fulfill that need. If there was no need and no proper way to use him, why make the trade?

Is it unreasonable to assume a guy who plays center could also play wing effectively? Many/most can, so I think it's a calculated risk to acquire a center and try to find a spot for him in the lineup. He's a great insurance policy at center at the very worst.

Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad