Kyle Dubas

Status
Not open for further replies.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Turned the Soo from trash into a prime OHL organization, was interim GM of Leafs, A. GM'd the past 3 years, was GM of Marlies for 2 of the 7 best AHL seasons ever.

I'd rather a guy with that potential over some old past his prime guy that just got fired for poor performance.

Shannahan also referenced how the decision was based on things behind the scenes and Dubas' contributions to decisions that had been made by the Leafs. I.e. I'm inferring that Dubas may have generally been against some of the weaker moves we've made the last 3-4 years, and one of the driving factors behind some of the stronger moves.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Shannahan also referenced how the decision was based on things behind the scenes and Dubas' contributions to decisions that had been made by the Leafs. I.e. I'm inferring that Dubas may have generally been against some of the weaker moves we've made the last 3-4 years, and one of the driving factors behind some of the stronger moves.

There does seem to be good reason to think that this may indeed be the case.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I think at this point we can safely say that he is under the gun now.

Putting his goaltending depth on waivers, signing Tavares, and toughing it out with Nylander has made things slightly anxious in Leaf Land.

How he responds and rolls with the punches this season will be his true measure.
Never changes with you eh?
Waiting out Nylander isn't bad.
Going with sparks isn't bad.
Signing tavares was fantastic.

Dubas isn't even close to under the gun.

Reactions: stickty111

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Never changes with you eh?
Waiting out Nylander isn't bad.
Going with sparks isn't bad.
Signing tavares was fantastic.

Dubas isn't even close to under the gun.

No. I never said he is getting fired, but you can't just say that things are going swimmingly.

The OP asked the question and I am offering an opinion that there are defining things happening as we speak. The season is not over, but there certainly is a few anxious Leaf fans (I would include myself in that category).

I haven't listed every negative nor every positive.

It's a long season and a lot of things could happen, but the decisions he made that I listed will define him as a GM.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Another thread that will divulge into talking about back up goaltenders. Oh boy.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
How did he f up?

Well by keeping Sparks instead of actually addressing the Backup goalie situation, if he don't want to keep Mac that's fine because he is 35 and does need to be replaced.

BUT IF you are going to replace a guy that was as good as Mac was last year you better be right about who you bring in and right now Dubas looks very VERY wrong because as bad as Mac has been Sparks has been worse.

So the f*** up isn't that you didn't keep Mac that's fine.

The f*** up is the guy you brought in was worse.

I know what Sparks record is, I don't care one of those games is a 7-6 win he's 2-1 because his team bailed his ass out in Chicago.

A GAA of 4.00 and a save% of 879 is not good enough and you know it.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
No. I never said he is getting fired, but you can't just say that things are going swimmingly.

The OP asked the question and I am offering an opinion that there are defining things happening as we speak. The season is not over, but there certainly is a few anxious Leaf fans (I would include myself in that category).

I haven't listed every negative nor every positive.

It's a long season and a lot of things could happen, but the decisions he made that I listed will define him as a GM.
Maybe things aren't going swimmingly, but their going very very well.

I have zero complaints about dubas.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Maybe things aren't going swimmingly, but their going very very well.

I have zero complaints about dubas.

I expected a little more changes to the defensive core when he took over. That's probably the extent of my negatives since he has taken over. Obviously the Nylander debacle needs to be resolved as well.

Got rid of Martin with no retention or a bad contract back. Didn't re-sign veterans with bloated contracts. He actually signed Tavares, which is massive. And he kept Sparks over McBackup, which is exactly what he should have done.

All in all, it's a good start but the hardest part of his job is to come. Taking this team to be an actual Cup Contender and win playoff rounds is what needs to happen under his watch now.

Reactions: stickty111

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Well by keeping Sparks instead of actually addressing the Backup goalie situation, if he don't want to keep Mac that's fine because he is 35 and does need to be replaced.

BUT IF you are going to replace a guy that was as good as Mac was last year you better be right about who you bring in and right now Dubas looks very VERY wrong because as bad as Mac has been Sparks has been worse.

So the **** up isn't that you didn't keep Mac that's fine.

The **** up is the guy you brought in was worse.

I know what Sparks record is, I don't care one of those games is a 7-6 win he's 2-1 because his team bailed his ass out in Chicago.

A GAA of 4.00 and a save% of 879 is not good enough and you know it.
Not saying it's been good enough.
But to suggest we keep a 35 YO career journeyman who, let's face it, a year ago fans wanted run out of town because reasons, instead of the reigning AHL Goalie of the Year who's 10 years younger is just plain stupid.

You get that? It's stupid.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not GS fan. I doubt he turns into anything at the NHL level. But you cannot argue that he didn't earn his chance.

You may not like the move and it may not work out. That's just life though, sometimes you can do all the right things and it just doesn't work out for you anyway.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
But to suggest we keep a 35 YO career journeyman who, let's face it, a year ago fans wanted run out of town because reasons, instead of the reigning AHL Goalie of the Year who's 10 years younger is just plain stupid.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not GS fan. I doubt he turns into anything at the NHL level. But you cannot argue that he didn't earn his chance.

You may not like the move and it may not work out. That's just life though, sometimes you can do all the right things and it just doesn't work out for you anyway.

Like I said Mac is 35 and does need to be replaced, so that's not the problem, the problem is the guy you did it with is failing miserably despite his current record

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

But he didn't do the right thing because the right thing would have been to sign Halak, who last year aside as been a very good goalie throughout his career, or sign Khudobin, you know a proven backup, then we wouldn't have this issue but we do because Dubas put NO effort into addressing the backup goalie situation .

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Dubas has been fine.

He brought home one of the biggest free agents in the league's history, so he can hang his hat on that for a long while. Don't think that he is as great that he does no wrong like he is made out to be. But he's hasn't screwed up either.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
But he didn't do the right thing because the right thing would have been to sign Halak, who last year aside as been a very good goalie throughout his career, or sign Khudobin, you know a proven backup, then we wouldn't have this issue but we do because Dubas put NO effort into addressing the backup goalie situation .
It doesn't address the situation with Sparks. He earned the right to play in the NHL this season.
If it wasn't here, we would've lost him to waivers.

All it get from you is you don't like this move. Or that whatever Duby did, you'd complain.

We're done.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Have complete faith that Dubas makes the most of this situation.

Many posters criticizing Dubas about this hold out would also be the first to criticise if he overpaid.

The flip side to over paying on an RFA is a hold out.

What this tells us is that the Leafs have a cap structure that is necessary to maintain to achieve long term success as a team, and they will not sacrifice that structure to try and appease the masses who do not understand the direction of the club.

I’m glad we have that management in place and not one that just gives a player like Draisaitl more than they’re worth at RFA at the drop of a pin, sacrificing long term feasibility of winning a cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad