Kyle Dubas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
He’ll do a great job. MLSE, Shanahan, Lou, and Babcock are not going to hire someone who they feel will fail, they will hire someone who they think is the best for the job.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Dubas is the very likely the next GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs. If you don't like it, get used it, if you like it, great!

What's special about him? He's different than all the other dinosaurs in the league. I've read up on his success in the OHL, how he likes teams to play hockey, what he looks for in players and everything I've read has me excited.

You won't see players like Komarov, Polak on the Leafs when he's GM of the team. He values talent and skill over size. Right now it's very important to follow that philosophy.
He employs Rich Clune, his SSM team's also had plugs like Alex Gudbranson. Those are basically minor league/CHL versions of Komarov and Polak.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
He employs Rich Clune, his SSM team's also had plugs like Alex Gudbranson. Those are basically minor league/CHL versions of Komarov and Polak.

This is very true. He has employed plugs at every stop he's been. To ignore that is to be mighty selective in your research.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This is very true. He has employed plugs at every stop he's been. To ignore that is to be mighty selective in your research.
It doesn't fit the narrative that has been constructed for him in the media. He's brought Gudbranson for example to the Marlies for a try-out and put him on the Solar Bears, after bringing him to SSM. He may do it less than Brian Burke, but its not like his teams have been devoid of these types of players.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
Dubas will be the gm. Which in essence is just a title considering existing structure- management team - decision making process in place. I wouldn’t be surprised if hunter remains in his existing roll and paid equivalently

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
People don't like Dubas because

1. He's young. GMing is for grandpas.

2. People think he's just an analytic guy. He isn't. But with analytics People are afraid of new things. And they see Chyka and get frightened.

3. The $1.2 retention. It makes a lot of people here go nuts. I've never seen such a minuscule detail get so scrutinized here.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

2. People think he's just an analytic guy. He isn't. But with analytics People are afraid of new things. And they see Chyka and get frightened.

3. The $1.2 retention. It makes a lot of people here go nuts. I've never seen such a minuscule detail get so scrutinized here.
No, its more the fact, I'd rather replace the analytics people (as they are cheaper to find) than replace Mark Hunter and potentially the people he brought in who lost him.

I've also never seen a bigger deal made about a guy who didn't even lead a team to a memorial cup appearance (SSM never made it past the Semi's with him in charge) or oversees an AHL team that hasn't the made the finals despite a bunch of financial advantages. He's done well, but that stuff absolutely gets played up. If Dubus is so great, maybe we should let him go and hire Kyle Raftis, considering what he is currently doing with SSM.

The things people play down are just as bad as the other things people play up.

I do find it funny though how much people try to draw a parallel between Theo Epstein (a Yale econ grad) and Kyle Dubas (a Brock Sports Management grad) in their "advanced" thinking (which Mirtle was doing today). At least, Chayka has an HBA from Ivey.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I would rather replace the scouting staff, especially when looking at the reaults. Since Hunter was brought on, only 1 out 3 drafts seems alright for the Leafs. For someone who is called the greatest talent evaluator of this generation, a 33% achievement rate seems kind of small(easier to bring other scouting staff in if 33% is all thats being done by this staff) then replace Dubas and the people he brought who lost him.

Im not sure whats the big deal about Mark Hunter who only looks good because of great his brother is at coaching, or how his teams arent even that great. Its easy to misinterpret success when your sibling is doing all the work. He has been fine, but it does gets overrated.
If Hunter really is the greatest thing since sliced bread, maybe we should hire his assistants since they are doing well in spite of Hunter?

Reactions: Walshy7

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Maybe you should figure out it was the scouting staff that supplied the prospects to the Marlies.

Because every prospect is a hit, right?

Lol.

Theres so many factors that go into the development of a prospect, including on & off the ice factors. Not as simple as going upto the podium & calling a name or two, and then boom, your farm system is fixed.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I would rather replace the scouting staff, especially when looking at the reaults. Since Hunter was brought on, only 1 out 3 drafts seems alright for the Leafs. For someone who is called the greatest talent evaluator of this generation, a 33% achievement rate seems kind of small(easier to bring other scouting staff in if 33% is all thats being done by this staff) then replace Dubas and the people he brought who lost him.

Im not sure whats the big deal about Mark Hunter who only looks good because of great his brother is at coaching, or how his teams arent even that great. Its easy to misinterpret success when your sibling is doing all the work. He has been fine, but it does gets overrated.
If Hunter really is the greatest thing since sliced bread, maybe we should hire his assistants since they are doing well in spite of Hunter?
Dale isn't doing all the work. That is such a gross oversimplification it is ridiculous. Its not like Mark took over Dale's job mid-season and led the team to an OHL championship and Memorial Cup final. It would be like me crediting Keefe for all of Dubas's success.

Hunter hit on his 3 key picks, and Liljegren its too early to judge. Most teams don't get multiple guys who will play a significant minutes before 20. If he just continues to hit on his first rounders every year, we will do pretty well.

Who has outdrafted the Leafs over the past 3 years? Leafs benefitted from drafting high, but you do realize after the 15th your chance of getting a legitimate NHLer of value is less than 40%. Do you seriously expect 2nd rounders drafted in 2016 and 2017 to make an impact? How many are there right now? Bratt, Debrincat, and Girard?

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
He's done well, but that stuff absolutely gets played up. If Dubus is so great, maybe we should let him go and hire Kyle Raftis, considering what he is currently doing with SSM.

You realize that most of the core players on this year's SSM team were drafted by Dubas, right?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You realize that most of the core players on this year's SSM team were drafted by Dubas, right?
He drafted Gettinger, Katchouk, Verbeek, Kopacka, and Timmins. But, a bunch of the rest of the team was added after he left such as Frost, Hayton, the trade for Raddysh (and the assets it took), Rasmus Sandin, Carroll was added from outside the organization, etc. But, if you want to fully credit him for this years powerhouse team, they also had two relative down years in the cyclical nature of the CHL (not making it past the Conference Semi-finals in 2015/16, 2016/17) but he also had the team that made the OHL conference finals.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Dubas will hand out walking papers to guys like Komarov and Polak and essentially force Babcock to ice a young and skilled lineup. I'm looking forward to it.

However I can't imagine Babs would take well to a 30 year old kid taking away all his 'GudPros' and/or having to listen to more analytics. I can see a major clash of philosophies happening if Dubas gets the job.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Actually the Marlies have always been a good team. They haven't won less than 40 games in like a decade.
True, but I think people are saying that the Marlies have maintained their record and has become a top pipeline for development and has graduated more players ready for the NHL. More than I can remember them ever doing.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
yeah his age really makes him stand out from other 31 year olds

Worst attempt at sarcasm I've seen in a while.....

How many other 31 year old's have been an interim GM for the Toronto Maple Leafs?

Or any NHL franchise?
Or any MLB franchise?
Or any NBA franchise?
Or any NFL franchise?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Why do we need 2 threads for this? Plenty of discussion in the other one and it's already down to debating the GM position.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
We don’t know much about Dubas because his influence in the back office has not been made clear over the past three years. Having said that, I think Shanahan is very aware of his capabilities and no doubt he has discussed this with Lou.

What we do know about Dubas is his track record with the Soo and Marlies, which is impressive, so I think we have to trust in the decision from the top until they prove otherwise.

I am excited about the analytics based approach that he can bring to the team because it might help us to be a stronger possession team and can help us find new trends in how to win in the NHL.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

While true and he definitely has said many times that he loves his physicality and gritty players, I think he'd be a lot more efficient with these kind of players in a cap system is important.

I am hopeful the new GM won't waste cap space on a Matt Martin for 4 years.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

How many 50/60 year old GMs trade with retention?
How many GMs include Teravainen to get rid of a contract? This is really a minor arguing point. I also can't believe that the entire management staff wasn't aware and approved the retention as well.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Excuse my ignorance, but what's so special about Kyle. What makes him such a rare commodity at the young age of 32?

I understand that Shanahan likes him.

But what has HE achieved that the organization wouldn't have without him.

And lets try to stay away from the "lol! You don't know anything about hockey" responses. Tell me something I don't know.

Thanks

I think at this point we can safely say that he is under the gun now.

Putting his goaltending depth on waivers, signing Tavares, and toughing it out with Nylander has made things slightly anxious in Leaf Land.

How he responds and rolls with the punches this season will be his true measure.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017

Putting his goaltending depth on waivers, signing Tavares, and toughing it out with Nylander has made things slightly anxious in Leaf Land.

How he responds and rolls with the punches this season will be his true measure.
Again, we had to put two goalies on waivers. Our depth was gone regardless.

The Tavares signing was great for the organization and we still got him cheaper then he was offered.

The nylander situation isn’t over yet, so we don’t know how that will go just yet. Clearly the team is okay without him for the time being.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Isn't the GM in Toronto always under the gun? Let it all play out before eulogizing him. People are quick to bury and not give credit. You can question the goalie depth. Then again when was the last time the Leafs actually had goalie depth? Was keeping Sparks the right move? Time will tell. He has to play hardball with Willie. Everyone knows he will be up against the cap. Even if he trades Willie for a player like Pesce who has a very team friendly contract I don't see how that can be viewed as a bad move.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Again, we had to put two goalies on waivers. Our depth was gone regardless.

The Tavares signing was great for the organization and we still got him cheaper then he was offered.

The nylander situation isn’t over yet, so we don’t know how that will go just yet. Clearly the team is okay without him for the time being.

Just because we lost McBackup and Pickard doesn’t mean our depth had to be gone. Kaskisuo went down and still nothing was done.

There’s some free agents and some teams around the league that could likely part with a goalie.

Right now, if Freddy was to go down, and we waited until then to contact those other teams, they are going to charge us a premium.

We need to acquire a quality backup and then send Sparks down like, yesterday

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Ya, signing Tavares was a danger sign for sure and of course we all know that any good GM would just give Nylander whatever he's asking for. ;)

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Ya, signing Tavares was a danger sign for sure and of course we all know that any good GM would just give Nylander whatever he's asking for. ;)
I’m not sure what Dubas has done so far to garner any resentment.
He signed Tavares and to my knowledge he is dead set against trading Nylander and getting him signed.
What more do people want?
His age? Sorry he doesn’t have the years to make some of the mistakes Burke made here. I know it’s tough to wait for him to screw up but that’s just because he’s young. :)

Reactions: Gary Nylund
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad