Confirmed with Link: Kyle Dubas named President of Hockey Operations

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
In any other industry, this would be an eyebrow-raising move. 1 year of experience in any corporate position isn’t nearly enough to qualify someone for a senior position like this. But in the NHL, front offices continue to value athletic performance over a completely different set of qualifications required to be proficient in a completely different role.

This isn’t making a mountain out of a molehill. It’s having a completely reasonable opinion about the philosophical approach of the front office - which has a big impact on the outcome of the team.

I think you're undervaluing Spezza's knowledge. This isn't like we're hiring Hugh Laurie to be a Doctor just because he played a great one on TV.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
In any other industry, this would be an eyebrow-raising move. 1 year of experience in any corporate position isn’t nearly enough to qualify someone for a senior position like this. But in the NHL, front offices continue to value athletic performance over a completely different set of qualifications required to be proficient in a completely different role.

This isn’t making a mountain out of a molehill. It’s having a completely reasonable opinion about the philosophical approach of the front office - which has a big impact on the outcome of the team.
Spezza is an advisor. He will not be in charge of any department. He won't be managing staff. He's there to be a sounding board for Dubas. His title is likely more ceremonial, at least until he learns more about the front office.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

The bolded is untrue. If it was, front offices would be made up solely of ex-star players and they'd all be hired the moment the hung up their skates. They're not.

Nor is Dubas some outlier here. You look at his front office. 3 of the 4 AGMs he had there weren't known for their playing days at all. The fourth, Hayley Wickenheiser, did four years in player development before making it to AGM.

Situations like Spezza's are rare. The logical conclusion here is that Dubas believes that Spezza's hockey mind is rare. That he has acquired the qualifications needed for the front office during his playing career in a way 99% of other players don't and that he has the natural ability to be worth fast tracking.

We'll find out whether he's right but in any case, that's what is going on. Not "He nearly had a 1000 points, he's great".

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

2023 Spring Convocation - Faculty of Applied Health Sciences (PM)

Brock University

Streamed live 9 hours ago

Kyle-Dubas-1-1600x1121.jpg

Kyle Dubas, President of Hockey Operations for the Pittsburgh Penguins, delivers the Convocation address at his alma mater, Brock University, on Wednesday, June 14.

When Kyle Dubas (BSM ’07) learned he was receiving an honorary doctorate from Brock University, his mind began to whirl about what he would say to the Class of 2023.

That message became clear on May 19, when he was fired as General Manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

During his Convocation address on Wednesday, June 14, the proud Brock Sport Management grad, who has since become President of Hockey Operations with the Pittsburgh Penguins, explained why some of the hardest days of his professional career are what drew the most inspiration.

People often say if you find a job you love, you’ll never work a day in your life. However, Dubas said, no matter how much you love your job, there will always be days that feel like work and there will always be days that are difficult.

“Find something that you really still love when it gets incredibly hard,” he said. “When you fail, when you lose, when people tell you that you aren’t very good, when people doubt you: that’s what you’re probably meant to be doing. If you can find that thing you still love when it becomes hard, that’s for you. Invest in yourself when you get there.”

Dubas learned to invest in himself from his late grandfather, Walter.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Brock University alumni Kyle Dubas was awarded an honourary doctorate on Wednesday just over 15 years since he graduated.

Dubas spent 9 years with the Toronto Maple Leafs, eventually becoming General Manager. The Leafs were eliminated from the playoffs last month in a heartbreaking overtime loss to the Flordia Panthers. Remarks Dubas made at the press conference after the team’s loss raised eyebrows, as some questioned his commitment to the team. He and the Leafs parted ways just a few weeks later. He is now the President of Operations for the Pittsburgh Penguins.

“…I’ll miss the people, the passion of the fans, and the fan base, and I thought we built a great organization there and we fell short of what we wanted to accomplish and so they made the decision to move on and our family has moved on as well, but I will always look back fondly on the opportunity that I was given,” Dubas said.

His career started after he graduated from Brock back in 2007 with a degree in Sports Management. He says he is humbled and honored to receive this doctorate, and that this university has made a huge impact on his life both professionally and personally.

“…Basically every key relationship and opportunity I’ve had in my life has come from Brock so Brock changed my life, to be able to come here today and receive this honorary degree is extraordinarily meaningful,” Dubas said.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I used to look down on honourary doctorates because they are just phony status tokens that don't signify any mastery of a subject. Then I went to grad school and learned than at most 50% of "real" PhDs could be trusted to tie their shoes unsupervised.
Honorary is still the bullshittiest of bullshit status tokens.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Honorary doctorates are dumb as hell, but at least Dubas has enough vestigial self respect not to use his honorary title in real life.
The people that use honorary doctorate titles in real life are providing a very real signal of their intelligence and capabilities.

Reactions: Pens x

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
I don't really have any strong opinion about Spezza as an AGM, wouldn't mind some insight from Leafs fans here tbh. Not quite sure what he'll be doing on a day-to-day basis but Dubas mentioned needing to fill out some of the hockey operations staff before the draft/FA. Sounds as if he'll be a liaison between all departments (operations, coaching, players).

Obviously a bit late but he was fine. We had 150 AGMs with varying responsibilities. I don't think many people knew what his were.

Dubas seems to like him so that's fine I guess. Weird that he didn't get the "GM" role considering how quick he left but I guess you can use the title to get a more talented person.

One of my biggest beefs with Dubas is that he seemed to try to push out anyone who didn't think like him so hopefully for Sids case he learns from that

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
One of my biggest beefs with Dubas is that he seemed to try to push out anyone who didn't think like him so hopefully for Sids case he learns from that
What does this mean? I've had a few so give me the benefit of the doubt that I'm not trying to be a dick when I say that I really don't know what this means.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
What does this mean? I've had a few so give me the benefit of the doubt that I'm not trying to be a dick when I say that I really don't know what this means.

He seemed to have a lot of yesmen under him including the head coach. Anyone who was a dissenting opinion got pushed aside.

It's why there were the stories about people being depressed when he left. He hired a lot of people who were there because they loved what he was about more then anything.

The Sid comment was because I think he's a gamer and want him to be successful

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Kyle Dubas Expected To Speak With Brandon Pridham for Penguins GM - The Hockey News

JUNE 16, 2023 at 10:37 AM EDT

During his opening press conference, Kyle Dubas said that he would take on the duties of general manager in the interim and begin searching in July.

For the time being, Spezza will report directly to Dubas and will likely help in the search for a general manager.

Will another face that worked closely with Dubas and Spezza in Toronto follow in their paths to Pittsburgh?

Elliotte Friedman on the 32 Thoughts Podcast believes that Dubas will request permission from the Maple Leafs to talk with Brandon Pridham.

Pridham is currently the Maple Leafs assistant general manager and was quickly overlooked as they searched for a replacement after firing Dubas.

Ever since being promoted to the assistant general manager of the Maple Leafs, Pridham has worked alongside Dubas and helped construct a team that stacks their lineup with stars, while remaining under the salary cap.

Even after the Maple Leafs hired Brad Treliving to be their general manager, they then hired Shane Doan as a special advisor to the general manager.

The Maple Leafs have a lot of voices in their front office and Dubas might have his eyes on another old friend.

Pridham would be a qualified choice for the Penguins as a first-time general manager.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Hiring Spezza as a AGM before hiring the GM seemed like a weird choice to me.

Either a) the GM will be more figurehead and it will be Dubas pulling the strings (or Dubas will just take the GM responsibilities altogether) or b) Dubas knows the GM will get along with Spezza.

Pridham would likely satisfy b). Maybe a) as well.

Reactions: Andy99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad