Confirmed with Link: Kyle Dubas named President of Hockey Operations

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
In any other industry, this would be an eyebrow-raising move. 1 year of experience in any corporate position isn’t nearly enough to qualify someone for a senior position like this. But in the NHL, front offices continue to value athletic performance over a completely different set of qualifications required to be proficient in a completely different role.

This isn’t making a mountain out of a molehill. It’s having a completely reasonable opinion about the philosophical approach of the front office - which has a big impact on the outcome of the team.
We should definitely be hiring guys with multiple years of front office experience. A guy who had like 6 or 7 years in a role like player development and things like that. Maybe even a guy who’s been part or the USA Olympic staff in terms of scouting and player development… oh wait…. That guy was already hired and fired here… his name is Chris Pryor… experience doesn’t mean jack shit. If you are good at your job you are good at your job and from all accounts, Spezza was good at his job in Toronto

In any other industry, this would be an eyebrow-raising move. 1 year of experience in any corporate position isn’t nearly enough to qualify someone for a senior position like this. But in the NHL, front offices continue to value athletic performance over a completely different set of qualifications required to be proficient in a completely different role.

This isn’t making a mountain out of a molehill. It’s having a completely reasonable opinion about the philosophical approach of the front office - which has a big impact on the outcome of the team.
We should definitely be hiring guys with multiple years of front office experience. A guy who had like 6 or 7 years in a role like player development and things like that. Maybe even a guy who’s been part or the USA Olympic staff in terms of scouting and player development… oh wait…. That guy was already hired and fired here… his name is Chris Pryor… experience doesn’t mean jack shit. If you are good at your job you are good at your job and from all accounts, Spezza was good at his job in Toronto

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Vukie has a law degree, playing experience and some front office experience with LA. Hard to complain. Definitely feels like a FSG type hire.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
At this point, Dubas should just name himself as GM. Could be trending that way.
They're leaving the GM title open until the summer in case they find someone they want to add to the front office who needs a title bump in order to join the team.

For example, if Dubas wants to bring one of his former AGMs from Toronto, they may need to be promoted to GM for it to happen.

But this is Dubas' show. Regardless of who he hires or what the front office looks like, he'll be making the final decisions.

Reactions: Andy99

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

The 27-year-old has spent the previous two seasons with the Los Angeles Kings as their Manager of Hockey Operations and Legal Affairs. While with the Kings, Mpofu assisted with player contract negotiations, managed salary cap and collective bargaining issues, managed the Kings' analytics staff and assisted with employment contracts for the Kings and the Ontario Reign, their AHL affiliate. During his time in Los Angeles, the Kings compiled a 91-52-21 record, good for a .629 points percentage.

Prior to his time with the Kings, Mpofu spent the 2020-21 season with the Vegas Golden Knights as their Hockey Legal Affairs Intern. He also spent time in 2021 as a Legal Intern with Wasserman, a major sports marketing and talent management company, and was an NCAA Compliance Extern with UCLA athletics in 2019-20.

Mpofu is a native Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and graduated from the University of Saskatchewan with a BA in Political Science. He later received his Juris Doctor at UCLA School of Law, with a specialization in Media, Entertainment, Technology & Sports Law, and served as President of UCLA's Sports Law Federation from 2020-21.
Hard not to like his background. A rebuilt FO with Mpofu, Dubas, and Spezza is shaping up nice.

I did like have Guerin here for a couple reasons and I hope Spezza develops well into a similar role. With that, I hope Matt Cullen sees more of a role as well. The cutting-edge analytics stuff is the future but having a guy or two that's been through the wringer that can speak the language of the guys going through will never, ever be a bad thing (under the assumption it's someone like Matt Cullen).

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This sounds like an awesome hire to me. Has some experience and is highly educated. Only 27 and will presumably continue to grow.

I like it a lot.
Agreed. On that note too, you have Dubas and an entire FSG corporate structure to get support from. Tough to imagine a better situation to hire into.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Sitting here still waiting to be impressed by the boy wonder. Maybe it's time for him to ditch his smart glasses and actually do something ballsy.

Note to Kyle, the Pens are in the midst of their standard seasonal hot streak, if you think this is reality, it's not.

Side note: What happened to Pittsburgh sports teams pursuing excellence? A town mired in mediocrity, and the national media loves it.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Certainly not the time to do something ballsy outside of a coach search and filling out the scouting + analytics departments. This roster's window has been closed for several years and its very easy to falsely attempt to compete now and delay our next cup by 2X. as long.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Sitting here still waiting to be impressed by the boy wonder. Maybe it's time for him to ditch his smart glasses and actually do something ballsy.

Note to Kyle, the Pens are in the midst of their standard seasonal hot streak, if you think this is reality, it's not.

Side note: What happened to Pittsburgh sports teams pursuing excellence? A town mired in mediocrity, and the national media loves it.
Like what?

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022

Nobody will ever EVER impress you

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
JR was a roller coaster ride, but I also liked him.

The EK trade was enough for me to like Dubas. The guys got rid of all our dead wood, undid most of Hextalls' gaffs, and upgraded our D in one fell swoop!

I don't know how you can hate him after that!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

The EK trade was enough for me to like Dubas. The guys got rid of all our dead wood, undid most of Hextalls' gaffs, and upgraded our D in one fell swoop!

Where there's a will there's a way.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I'm mid on Dubas. If we miss the playoffs this year and he doesn't trade Jake, I'll be annoyed.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad