Confirmed with Link: Kyle Dubas named President of Hockey Operations

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
He wasn’t under contract with Toronto….he resigned there as soon as Dubas was fired…
Well, Friedman and Marek discussed at several points that Spezza may need to be hired by FSG and then assigned to the Penguins to get around potential contractual sticking points with Toronto. I'm guessing a promotion helps with that.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
So Spezza was playing hockey 2 years ago. He’s spent approximately 1 year in front office in an operations capacity, and now he’s 1 step away from being the most influential/powerful guy in terms of roster decisions? I really hope we have another AGM coming.
Bro, he helped the Leafs pass the 1st round for the 1st time in close to 20 years!!!

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I was not expecting that, what a shocker!!!

So If Dubas is to hire a GM, he needs to come in here knowing that he cannot get an ass GM and he cannot hire a new coaching staff!!! Very intriguing job opportunity lol
That’s why it’s gonna be someone who worked under him in Toronto…they’ll have no complaints there lol

Well, Friedman and Marek discussed at several points that Spezza may need to be hired by FSG and then assigned to the Penguins to get around potential contractual sticking points with Toronto. I'm guessing a promotion helps with that.
They were wrong then…

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
If the Penguins hire a general manager under Kyle Dubas, that GM will not be picking the assistant GMs.

Dubas will.

This is Dubas' team. The GM will be GM in name only. They will be Dubas' assistant, do a lot of leg work, have some significant responsibilities, but Dubas will make final decisions.

The GM seat was left open just in case they really like someone and need to offer that person a title bump in order to get them from another team. That's all.

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
That’s why it’s gonna be someone who worked under him in Toronto…they’ll have no complaints there lol

They were wrong then…

Orgs can still block hires after a resignation for the remaining term of a contract. Apparently a promotion overrides the block, though.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007

They were wrong then…

Spezza had term on his deal when he resigned. That's why there was thought that Toronto could block him. It was a theory. It's entirely possible Toronto opted not to block him at all.

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
If the Penguins hire a general manager under Kyle Dubas, that GM will not be picking the assistant GMs.

Dubas will.

This is Dubas' team. The GM will be GM in name only. They will be Dubas' assistant, do a lot of leg work, have some significant responsibilities, but Dubas will make final decisions.

The GM seat was left open just in case they really like someone and need to offer that person a title bump in order to get them from another team. That's all.
I know it was never going to be Tulsky after the Dubas hire, but I’m really hoping we get someone with a fresh perspective that can come up with a tangible, objective way to value players beyond an “eye test”.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I at least like that Spezza has playing experience and he does seem like kind of a smart, nerdy athlete more than a meathead type so maybe he can be good in a hockey management role. Time will tell. I think we all knew this hire was coming though.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Spezza had term on his deal when he resigned. That's why there was thought that Toronto could block him. It was a theory. It's entirely possible Toronto opted not to block him at all.
Even if he had a longer contract, I’m not sure they can do that to someone who was only a special assistant to the GM…usually only contracts for higher management positions contain those provisions re if they leave with term on the contract, they can’t take a similar position with someone else…Spezza was a really low level employee

Orgs can still block hires after a resignation for the remaining term of a contract. Apparently a promotion overrides the block, though.
again, generally not for low level employees, which Spezza was…

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Who cares how long he's been in a FO position? :laugh: Spezza's been around the game for decades, he's got connections because of that. He knows the game well enough to be able to scout guys and look for things that may help the team.

I'm not saying Spezza is some FO executive gem in the making, but people really put way too much emphasis on what sorta savvy goes into being a GM or AGM. As long as the person isn't an outright f***ing imbecile like JR or Hextall (and even JR blindly hit some absolute homeruns), I don't think it takes a genius or some visionary to come in and shift the paradigm of how things are viewed. *Especially* for where this team's at. All you really need is a FO who is gonna keep up the bullshit appearance of contending (lol) without f***ing things up for themselves now or moving forward.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
My laughing GOAT boy comes to the Pens

Yasssssss
i was thinking about you when i read the news. make sure you stay hydrated

So Spezza was playing hockey 2 years ago. He’s spent approximately 1 year in front office in an operations capacity, and now he’s 1 step away from being the most influential/powerful guy in terms of roster decisions? I really hope we have another AGM coming.
this isn't like the US presidency or something. If Dubas dies, there's no law in place that says Spezza is the next in line. It'll be OK.

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
i was thinking about you when i read the news. make sure you stay hydrated

this isn't like the US presidency or something. If Dubas dies, there's no law in place that says Spezza is the next in line. It'll be OK.
I don’t think anyone said it won’t be ok. I said I didn’t like the hire. Please don’t minimize my opinion by insinuating my response is overreacting when I’m simply giving support as to why I don’t like the hire.

Who cares how long he's been in a FO position? :laugh: Spezza's been around the game for decades, he's got connections because of that. He knows the game well enough to be able to scout guys and look for things that may help the team.

I'm not saying Spezza is some FO executive gem in the making, but people really put way too much emphasis on what sorta savvy goes into being a GM or AGM. As long as the person isn't an outright f***ing imbecile like JR or Hextall (and even JR blindly hit some absolute homeruns), I don't think it takes a genius or some visionary to come in and shift the paradigm of how things are viewed. *Especially* for where this team's at. All you really need is a FO who is gonna keep up the bullshit appearance of contending (lol) without f***ing things up for themselves now or moving forward.
I don’t think it’s too much to ask for the organization to make smart business decisions rather than continuing to hire retired hockey players when there are way better options out there, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
Even if he had a longer contract, I’m not sure they can do that to someone who was only a special assistant to the GM…usually only contracts for higher management positions contain those provisions re if they leave with term on the contract, they can’t take a similar position with someone else…Spezza was a really low level employee

again, generally not for low level employees, which Spezza was…
I don’t know how low or high Spezza’s position was considered with the team, so I can’t speak to that. But I thought Elliott and Friedman had exactly this conversation regarding Spezza and Pridham(?)

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don’t know how low or high Spezza’s position was considered with the team, so I can’t speak to that. But I thought Elliott and Friedman had exactly this conversation regarding Spezza and Pridham(?)
Yeah, Pridham would definitely require a higher job position and approval from Toronto to come here…doubt Spezza would which is why he’s already been hired…

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don’t think anyone said it won’t be ok. I said I didn’t like the hire. Please don’t minimize my opinion by insinuation my response is overreacting when I’m simply giving support as to why I don’t like the hire.

I don’t think it’s too much to ask for the organization to make smart business decisions rather than continuing to hire retired hockey players when there are way better options out there, though.
There are coaches and FO execs who have been involved in hockey for decades who suck absolute shit at their jobs. :laugh: Yzerman hopped into FO work and immediately made significant impacts to a team that would go on to make three consecutive Finals and win back to back Cups.

Seniority doesn't mean anything, imo. I'm not gonna pretend to know how good or bad Spezza's gonna be, but I do not think the fact that he's relatively new to FO work is a bad thing. It's probably a good thing, tbh, because he won't have fallen into the pitfalls that seemingly all NHL people end up falling for with an over emphasis on muckers and grinders who don't do anything but slow the game down.

Taking issue with Spezza and noting "smart business decisions" seems like making a mountain out of a molehill. He was announced an hour ago. :laugh: He hasn't even done anything yet, good or bad. Dubas is gonna be running the ship, imo, regardless of who the GM or AGM are.

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
There are coaches and FO execs who have been involved in hockey for decades who suck absolute shit at their jobs. :laugh: Yzerman hopped into FO work and immediately made significant impacts to a team that would go on to make three consecutive Finals and win back to back Cups.

Seniority doesn't mean anything, imo. I'm not gonna pretend to know how good or bad Spezza's gonna be, but I do not think the fact that he's relatively new to FO work is a bad thing. It's probably a good thing, tbh, because he won't have fallen into the pitfalls that seemingly all NHL people end up falling for with an over emphasis on muckers and grinders who don't do anything but slow the game down.

Taking issue with Spezza and noting "smart business decisions" seems like making a mountain out of a molehill. He was announced an hour ago. :laugh: He hasn't even done anything yet, good or bad. Dubas is gonna be running the ship, imo, regardless of who the GM or AGM are.
In any other industry, this would be an eyebrow-raising move. 1 year of experience in any corporate position isn’t nearly enough to qualify someone for a senior position like this. But in the NHL, front offices continue to value athletic performance over a completely different set of qualifications required to be proficient in a completely different role.

This isn’t making a mountain out of a molehill. It’s having a completely reasonable opinion about the philosophical approach of the front office - which has a big impact on the outcome of the team.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I don’t think anyone said it won’t be ok. I said I didn’t like the hire. Please don’t minimize my opinion by insinuating my response is overreacting when I’m simply giving support as to why I don’t like the hire.

yeah they should hire some other unnamed guy we also know nothing about. he's here to be dubas's friend who cares

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
In any other industry, this would be an eyebrow-raising move. 1 year of experience in any corporate position isn’t nearly enough to qualify someone for a senior position like this. But in the NHL, front offices continue to value athletic performance over a completely different set of qualifications required to be proficient in a completely different role.

This isn’t making a mountain out of a molehill. It’s having a completely reasonable opinion about the philosophical approach of the front office - which has a big impact on the outcome of the team.
There's a reason hockey players often land coaching or FO jobs. They've been around the game their entire lives and know it better than some businessperson who jumps into the hockey world based on their financial acumen or whatever. What's your preferred avenue then? It's an assistant GM role. Dude's just gonna be a guy in the room who is like third or fourth on the chain of command when it comes to making decisions or proposing ideas. :laugh:

You can't force somebody to take the job, and if Dubas values Spezza's opinion and voice, whatever. He knows far better than any of us do.

-edit- I just don't see any reason to take issue with the move or complain about it. It's meaningless and Spezza's made zero impact so far. If a year from now there are reports that Spezza's bringing terrible ideas to Dubas' desk and the team's acting upon them like Pryor reportedly pushing Hextall to trade for Granlund (Yohe source, so probably entirely bullshit anyway), that's a wholly different story. But Spezza's just a random dude who got hired like an hour ago. :laugh:

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad