Votes: 161 29.7%
  • Concerned

Votes: 169 31.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Dubas did a lot of the stuff he needed to.

Seems like he's hoping Knies can handle some NHL duties when he joins

Murray move may look questionable now, if he wins us a round, who knows?

Overall, Dubas maybe could have done more heavy lifting in the summer but hard to argue against the moves he's made.

Keefe maybe more on the hot seat than Dubas now.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
It absolutely boggles my mind, it rattles my brain, to the point where I am almost certain there has been even more damage done than was already present, that after five years of whatever the hell mess this is Kyle Dubas has placed the team into, there are STILL people supporting him.

What has he done?

He finished with a few more points in the regular season than normal. Something Babcock was already accomplishing with a much worse roster. How can I say Babcock had a worse roster?

I don't.

But Kyle Dubas supporters all brag about the magnificent roster Dubas has constructed. Which therefore means the roster Babcock had must have been worse. Either Babcock did more with less, or Dubas didn't build a better roster.

It can't be both ways.

I'm sorry, but unless this team makes it to the cup finals, Shanahan, Dubas, and Keefe should all be pounding pavement this summer looking for a new job. You can't tell me that a single playoff series win in nine years for Shanahan, five for Dubas, four for Keefe, is good enough to keep any of these incompetent fools around. Not even two playoffs series should be acceptable after we were all told how stupid the fans are, that they could and they would.

No.

I would argue that given how much leash the Shanahan, Dubas, Keefe triumvirate has been given already, it is time to put up or shut up for a management team whose entire tenure has been defined to date by nothing but failure and loss.

Coming in last place to draft Matthews has been Shanahan's greatest accomplishment.

Losing Matthews to free agency due to gross mismanagement would be a crime. This is what "we can and we will' has dissolved into: hoping the team wins a single playoffs series before the Matthews contract expires. After having watched this management team bungle virtually everything else I find it hard to have believe they won't screw the Matthews contract extension negotiations up too.

I wish I could say I had more faith that they would get it right. But history has repeatedly shown this management group isn't competent enough to manage a lemonade stand, let lone an NHL franchise. It's reached a point where I'm now prepared for anything else stupid this management team can do.

Including lose Matthews

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
It absolutely boggles my mind, it rattles my brain, to the point where I am almost certain there has been even more damage done than was already present, that after five years of whatever the hell mess this is Kyle Dubas has placed the team into, there are STILL people supporting him.

What has he done?

He finished with a few more points in the regular season than normal. Something Babcock was already accomplishing with a much worse roster. How can I say Babcock had a worse roster?

I don't.

But Kyle Dubas supporters all brag about the magnificent roster Dubas has constructed. Which therefore means the roster Babcock had must have been worse. Either Babcock did more with less, or Dubas didn't build a better roster.

It can't be both ways.

I'm sorry, but unless this team makes it to the cup finals, Shanahan, Dubas, and Keefe should all be pounding pavement this summer looking for a new job. You can't tell me that a single playoff series win in nine years for Shanahan, five for Dubas, four for Keefe, is good enough to keep any of these incompetent fools around. Not even two playoffs series should be acceptable after we were all told how stupid the fans are, that they could and they would.

No.

I would argue that given how much leash the Shanahan, Dubas, Keefe triumvirate has been given already, it is time to put up or shut up for a management team whose entire tenure has been defined to date by nothing but failure and loss.

Coming in last place to draft Matthews has been Shanahan's greatest accomplishment.

Losing Matthews to free agency due to gross mismanagement would be a crime. This is what "we can and we will' has dissolved into: hoping the team wins a single playoffs series before the Matthews contract expires. After having watched this management team bungle virtually everything else I find it hard to have believe they won't screw the Matthews contract extension negotiations up too.

I wish I could say I had more faith that they would get it right. But history has repeatedly shown this management group isn't competent enough to manage a lemonade stand, let lone an NHL franchise. It's reached a point where I'm now prepared for anything else stupid this management team can do.

Including lose Matthews
I’d support him just for the pleasure of watching folks like you lose your shiznit.

Where’s that “old man yells at cloud” meme when you need it?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He probably deserves to be one of the highest paid gms at this point.

He's an excellent drafter (Knies, Holmberg, Niemela, Durzi, Robertson all seconds or later etc) he's excellent at finding free wallets (steeves, McCann, Hyman - though this one was a trade)

Just look at the players he targeted and received from Pittsburgh for Kapanen....McCann, Rodriguez, Amirov. Sure thing didn't work out but the value is incredible. He would've received the three best players in the trade.

Sure we're not winning playoff rounds yet... But the odds of getting a worse gm certainly outweigh the odds of getting a better one.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

There is at least one team in the NHL — possibly as many as three — paying close attention to Kyle Dubas’ status as general manager of the Maple Leafs.

Dubas, who is working on the last year of his contract in Toronto and was not re-signed last summer when team president Brendan Shanahan wanted to re-up his chosen GM. And now, with Dubas’ status possibly tied to upcoming Maple Leafs playoff success, there are more than whispers that other clubs around the league have taken the position of waiting to see whether Dubas will, in fact, be available at the end of the season.

One of those teams is thought to be the Pittsburgh Penguins, where general manager Ron Hextall is in difficulty and the status of club president Brian Burke is uncertain.
The Pens have relatively new ownership in Fenway Sports Group, which includes LeBron James as a minority shareholder, along with bigger money players like John Henry and Tom Werner.

The GM world of the NHL has been in flux in the wake of Philadelphia firing Chuck Fletcher, of Barry Trotz replacing the retiring David Poile in Nashville at the end of the season, and with all kinds of uncertainty in Pittsburgh, Ottawa (with new ownership on its way), Philly, Calgary, with GM Brad Treliving at the end of his agreement, and unknown circumstances possibly in Winnipeg and Columbus.

Word around the NHL now is this: If the Leafs don’t choose to retain Dubas as general manager, he won’t be out of work for long.

THAT AND THAT

The hockey fan’s refrain: If the Leafs don’t beat Tampa Bay in the opening round of the playoffs, Dubas will be gone as GM. My response: If they don’t beat the best goalie in the world and maybe the best coach in the world, and they choose not to keep Dubas, who would they replace him with? Who better to do the job than him? … This is the ultimate dilemma of the Leafs’ playoff circumstance. They can win one round, but could they win a second round against Boston? Will anyone do that? And do you hold a GM, a coach, the president, all of them, accountable for doing what might not be possible? This is a Leafs team capable of playing for a Stanley Cup. Getting there — now that’s the challenge. These are the Stanley Cup circumstances for any team in the Atlantic Division …

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
It will be interesting. I mean outaide of Murray, i dont really see how he could have handled this season any better - maybe take bigger swings in trades in the offseason?..

But he did everything essentially roght this year - set the tone with his opening day presser (although i dont necessarily see the team mimicking it)

Dubas in pittsburgh would be so intriguing

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

There is at least one team in the NHL — possibly as many as three — paying close attention to Kyle Dubas’ status as general manager of the Maple Leafs.

Dubas, who is working on the last year of his contract in Toronto and was not re-signed last summer when team president Brendan Shanahan wanted to re-up his chosen GM. And now, with Dubas’ status possibly tied to upcoming Maple Leafs playoff success, there are more than whispers that other clubs around the league have taken the position of waiting to see whether Dubas will, in fact, be available at the end of the season.

One of those teams is thought to be the Pittsburgh Penguins, where general manager Ron Hextall is in difficulty and the status of club president Brian Burke is uncertain.
The Pens have relatively new ownership in Fenway Sports Group, which includes LeBron James as a minority shareholder, along with bigger money players like John Henry and Tom Werner.

The GM world of the NHL has been in flux in the wake of Philadelphia firing Chuck Fletcher, of Barry Trotz replacing the retiring David Poile in Nashville at the end of the season, and with all kinds of uncertainty in Pittsburgh, Ottawa (with new ownership on its way), Philly, Calgary, with GM Brad Treliving at the end of his agreement, and unknown circumstances possibly in Winnipeg and Columbus.

Word around the NHL now is this: If the Leafs don’t choose to retain Dubas as general manager, he won’t be out of work for long.

THAT AND THAT

The hockey fan’s refrain: If the Leafs don’t beat Tampa Bay in the opening round of the playoffs, Dubas will be gone as GM. My response: If they don’t beat the best goalie in the world and maybe the best coach in the world, and they choose not to keep Dubas, who would they replace him with? Who better to do the job than him? … This is the ultimate dilemma of the Leafs’ playoff circumstance. They can win one round, but could they win a second round against Boston? Will anyone do that? And do you hold a GM, a coach, the president, all of them, accountable for doing what might not be possible? This is a Leafs team capable of playing for a Stanley Cup. Getting there — now that’s the challenge. These are the Stanley Cup circumstances for any team in the Atlantic Division …
Give him a lifetime extension because we'll never find anybody that can't lead a 105 point team to a playoff series win. I'd like to see him take over Pittsburgh or Philadelphia and see how far he gets.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

THAT AND THAT

Dubas, working with Burke, would be epic.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I'd like to be in the room when Dubie tells Burkie his plan is to outsmart the rest of the league by surrounding Sid and Geno with soft, skilled players and goaltenders thrown to the curb by other teams.

how are people still talking like this after Schenn, McCabe, Acciari, ROR, etc.

My beef with him is not going after enough skill, we've been getting outshot/outchanced a lot more often since we added these guys

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
how are people still talking like this after Schenn, McCabe, Acciari, ROR, etc.

My beef with him is not going after enough skill, we've been getting outshot/outchanced a lot more often since we added these guys
It was a joke stemmed from the comment Dubas working with Burkie and knowing how much Burkie loves truculence and seems to be grouchy most of the time.

ROR should help, especially in the playoffs. Wish we could FF a month.

Reactions: TheDoldrums

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Give him a lifetime extension because we'll never find anybody that can't lead a 105 point team to a playoff series win. I'd like to see him take over Pittsburgh or Philadelphia and see how far he gets.
No one will be able to turn the Flyers around as long as they are owned by Comcast and have Bobby Clarke and Holmgren in their senior roles. That team will remain a dumpster fire.

Pens would be a difficult situation too with an aging core on big contracts, aging support cast and one of the worst prospect pools in the league. That team needs to bottom out for a few years.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
If Dubas gets canned after this year It won’t be just about this year but about all the previous playoff failure and about how he constructed the team right from the start.
50% cap going to 4 offensive forwards And treating goal tending like an afterthought
It will be a reflection on Dubas’s attempt to reinvent how a team is structured

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
If Dubas isn't extended before his contract expires, then he might take a better offer from another team.

I think there would be a few to choose from, and some of them could be pretty enticing. Job security. Money. If the Leafs don't offer that, someone else will.

I noticed that Alex Anthopolous won a World Series before the Blue Jays. Dubas might follow suit.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
To be fair, opinions usually aren’t right or wrong. To quote a co-worker “opinions are like certain bodily orifices…..everyone’s got one”.

To be fair, opinions usually aren’t right or wrong. To quote a co-worker “opinions are like certain bodily orifices…..everyone’s got one”.
Fair enough.

But let me ask you this one question. At what point does losing in the first round year in and year out become unacceptable?

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009

What has he done?

I don't.

It can't be both ways.

No.

Including lose Matthews
The bright part of your day must be reading a short story about a father about finding his daughter dead, face down in a pool of her own vomit due to an alcohol overdose. I've never seen a user here dedicate so much time and energy to being negative.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto

What has he done?

I don't.

It can't be both ways.

No.

Including lose Matthews

Just a bundle of sunshine aren't you?

Dude, you will be a superstar if you start posting on the Oilers forum about how bad are Leafs are.

• Haha
Reactions: Gary Nylund

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If Dubas isn't extended before his contract expires, then he might take a better offer from another team.

I think there would be a few to choose from, and some of them could be pretty enticing. Job security. Money. If the Leafs don't offer that, someone else will.

I noticed that Alex Anthopolous won a World Series before the Blue Jays. Dubas might follow suit.
I believe that would be a first.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

That won’t happen. The decision on him will be made before his contract is up.

Reactions: hockeywiz542
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad