Votes: 161 29.7%
  • Concerned

Votes: 169 31.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I see no world in which Dubas would rather walk into Calgary or Pitts situation and deal with it than continuing what hes built here.

That’s great if you don’t But the reality is nothing is off the table. As I said I think he stays but he could be swayed. More money, more control, fresh start elsewhere. I only really see Calgary and Ottawa as realistic destinations if he were to leave.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Calgary just fired Sutter before his extension even kicked in lol

that's why I wanted Dubas extended earlier, there was no practical downside aside from potentially costing MLSE a few million if they decided to move on
I know, right? How much did they Babs after firing him, Dubas would have been a drop in the bucket. Could be that extending was bad optics after all those playoff losses, or maybe there was some other reason they couldn't agree to terms, who knows.
What did that get them though,?

Personally, i'd take ROR and McCabe over Gostisbehere and Jesse Puljujarvi any day
Haha, I'd take either one of ROR/McCabe over those two.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
That’s great if you don’t But the reality is nothing is off the table. As I said I think he stays but he could be swayed. More money, more control, fresh start elsewhere. I only really see Calgary and Ottawa as realistic destinations if he were to leave.
Anything is possible just very unlikely that if the Leafs want him to stay that Dubas would choose to go. He's an Ontario boy who was hired and brought along by MLSE from being the GM of the Marlies, assistant GM of the Leafs to now running the team. He started the current rebuild of not only the Leafs, but also the Marlies and the prospect pool and brought in new people. This is his team and to me it makes no sense for him to want to walk away from all the work he's done here to start new somewhere else.

Seems the most logical and likely choice is he re-signs with the Leafs and tries to finish the job he started and if he succeeds he will become a legend in the NHL's largest market.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Maybe Ottawa if Dorion were getting fired which he won’t, but Calgary is kind of a mess with really terrible deals to mediocre and aging core players

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Anything is possible just very unlikely that if the Leafs want him to stay that Dubas would choose to go. He's an Ontario boy who was hired and brought along by MLSE from being the GM of the Marlies, assistant GM of the Leafs to now running the team. He started the current rebuild of not only the Leafs, but also the Marlies and the prospect pool and brought in new people. This is his team and to me it makes no sense for him to want to walk away from all the work he's done here to start new somewhere else.

Seems the most logical and likely choice is he re-signs with the Leafs and tries to finish the job he started and if he succeeds he will become a legend in the NHL's largest market.
I'm sure there will be a number of people who refuse to give him any credit whatsoever and say that with a "real GM" we would have won several cups by now.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I'm thinking Dubas is extended solely on the merit of staying the hell away from Kane at the TDL........

Woof, the way people were talking about Kane, and unless we gave everything away to get him "we weren't going all in".

Was so sick of hearing about that guy, and how he'd turn it on with a good team in the Playoffs, blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda...........

Yeah, not so much. Not even close.

Well done, Kyle. You made great TDL trades, and avoided dumbass ones too like the one for Kane and Jeannot.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm thinking Dubas is extended solely on the merit of staying the hell away from Kane at the TDL........

Woof, the way people were talking about Kane, and unless we gave everything away to get him "we weren't going all in".

Was so sick of hearing about that guy, and how he'd turn it on with a good team in the Playoffs, blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda...........

Yeah, not so much. Not even close.

Well done, Kyle. You made great TDL trades, and avoided dumbass ones too like the one for Kane and Jeannot.

There were a lot of guys on here claiming that we didn't need Schenn and he's on Holl's level, at best.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I absolutely love the additions of McCabe and Schenn. Been crying out for dmen like these two for years. That's why I never understood the fear mongering from some fans about Gudbranson or Jack Johnson as if every solid, defense first minded dmen are like those two.

I'm happy with the moves Dubas made at the deadline. It seems like he has really learned and changed his outlook on team construction. I wonder if Spezza had any influence whatsoever on these moves?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I'm happy with the moves Dubas made at the deadline. It seems like he has really learned and changed his outlook on team construction. I wonder if Spezza had any influence whatsoever on these moves?
Maybe some, but I think a lot more had to do with seizing on a depressed market/ taking advantage of some GM's.
2022 deadline saw:
-a single year of Manson @50% go for 2nd+ Helleson (highly regarded former top 60 pick, 6'3 RHD prospect ready to turn pro)
-Kulak for a 2nd+
-Chiarot for a 1st+
2021 deadline
-Savard rental 1st+3rd (+4th for 3rd party retention)

The McCabe deal was an absolute steal that is not given enough credit. We pretty much got two years @50%+ Lafferty for free.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
There were a lot of guys on here claiming that we didn't need Schenn and he's on Holl's level, at best.

That's because he pretty much is/was. The Leafs only got him for a 3rd round pick. He elevated his game a lot in this series. He wasn't just a hitter like Lyubushkin, he actually made plays at both ends of the ice.

I didn't think it was necessary to get Schenn but he proved me wrong.

Last edited:

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I hear you, but the caterwauling for Kane, making him sound like Kane from 10 years ago, parting with 1st rounders AND Knies, and if we didn't then we "weren't ALL IN" was intolerable.

Add to it that I've never liked him as a person, and it was unbearable at times until he signed with the NYR. Huge relief when it happened.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The new media narrative: "but if they get rid of Dubas, another team will hire him in a second!"

.....and? The thought of not having their boy Dubas at the helm is already giving them the sweats. :laugh:
It turns out the new media narrative was right.

horner

May 22, 2007
I absolutely love the additions of McCabe and Schenn. Been crying out for dmen like these two for years. That's why I never understood the fear mongering from some fans about Gudbranson or Jack Johnson as if every solid, defense first minded dmen are like those two.

Dubas didn't understand the playoff mentality until this yr.
He thought he could change it and used our Core for his experiment.
Playoff hockey is a war sorry dubas
You can't win with a team that is soft throughout the lineup.
Treliving will change that.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Dubas didn't understand the playoff mentality until this yr.
He thought he could change it and used our Core for his experiment.
Playoff hockey is a war sorry dubas
You can't win with a team that is soft throughout the lineup.
Treliving will change that.

In the Pittsburgh presser he said he's going to bet on "Mike Sullivan, Sidney Crosby, etc." It's like the Monorail song from The Simpsons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad