Votes: 161 29.7%
  • Concerned

Votes: 169 31.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Adequate. Nowhere near as great as he is made out to be. But he's been fine.

I don't think too many people are making him out to be great (Zeke perhaps?) as almost everyone agrees that he overpaid our stars and our backup situation is another thing that many want to hang him for. Other than that though, I like pretty much everything he's done so for an overall grade I suppose you could say that ... he's been OK, just OK. ;)

I sure hope he's a fast learner as I had high hopes for him and this franchises has been cursed with doofuses running things going back for longer than I care to remember.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Good moves
-Muzzin
-AJ & KK contracts
-Zaitsev for Ceci
-John Tavares

Lukewarm
-Marleau trade
-Nylander's contract is good, but the process was a mess
-Lindholm for Petan
-Kadri for Barrie

Could've been better
-McBackup
-Matthews and Marner should've signed 8 year deals

Edit - Missed Tavares lol

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
So you're completely fine with Marner's contract?

Nah, a mil or two more than I wanted. But that's the part of the roster to overpay, if you do.

Tbh my least favorite contract on the team is the Tavares one. But even then, i don't hate it.

Reactions: Schooner

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Been hearing NHL is a results league lately. By that Dubas has failed unless his cast steps up for him the rest of the season and makes the playoffs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Nah, a mil or two more than I wanted. But that's the part of the roster to overpay, if you do.

Tbh my least favorite contract on the team is the Tavares one. But even then, i don't hate it.

I'm not sure it matters much myself, wasted cap space is wasted cap space no matter who you waste it on.

Reactions: phillipmike

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm not sure it matters much myself, wasted cap space is wasted cap space no matter who you waste it on.

not really.

by most any opportunity-cost value model, elite players are actually underpaid relative to their actual value, while the lesser players are overpaid.

the worst thing is having valueless dead money clogging the bottom of the roster. guys you literally don't want on your team. contracts you have to pay to give away. Marner will never, ever be that.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
not really.

by most any opportunity-cost value model, elite players are actually underpaid relative to their actual value, while the lesser players are overpaid.

the worst thing is having valueless dead money clogging the bottom of the roster. guys you literally don't want on your team. contracts you have to pay to give away. Marner will never, ever be that.

Nice theory I guess but that doesn't help us one bit as Marner sure as hell isn't underpaid relative to his actual value.

If you have say 4 million in over-payments on your roster, I don't see how it matters one bit whether you're overpaying stars or bums as the end result is the same. The only thing that matters is the term - how long are we stuck with these over-payments and by that measure our situation isn't great.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Nice theory I guess but that doesn't help us one bit as Marner sure as hell isn't underpaid relative to his actual value.

actually, he probably is. it's just that all the stars are underpaid relative to their actual value.

If you have say 4 million in over-payments on your roster, I don't see how it matters one bit whether you're overpaying stars or bums as the end result is the same.

well no, it's not the same, as in one situation you have a bunch of bums on the roster.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'm very happy with Johnsson and Kappy's contracts. I think Dubas has also done very well at the draft table so far with Sandin and Robertson as impressive picks. He gets credit for landing Tavares and under market rate as well. Pretty happy with the Muzzin trade. I like that we signed 800 depth forwards as well.

I'm okay with the Kadri trade so far but not enamoured. Nylander has a good contract that will serve us well in the long run, but the process was brutal and that set the table for the rest of the players. The Marleau and Zaitsev trades were meh, not bad not great. Firing Babcock goes in the adequate tier for now, it might have been too late or it might have been just in time. Judgement mostly withheld until the season is over, but it will have a big impact on my overall feelings.

The backup situation is a rather embarrassing clusterf***. The Matthews and Marner deals are bad and worse, with Matthews having too little term and Marner's contracting being an overpayment and under-termed.

Overall, I voted adequate. If the Leafs were doing well this year I probably would have voted happy. I'd say the good outweighs the bad thusfar, but actual results mean a whole lot more than whether I like some moves or not. We need to make the playoffs and start having some real success before Dubas is praise-worthy IMO. Individual moves are worthy of evaluation, but I'm still undecided on him overall.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
not really.

Unless your "stars" are not capable of winning when it matters most. Than overpaying them, even slightly, hinders the rest of the roster.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
actually, he probably is. it's just that all the stars are underpaid relative to their actual value.

well no, it's not the same, as in one situation you have a bunch of bums on the roster.

Is that better than having empty spots on the roster?

Is that better than not having the cap space to pay a NHL calibre backup?

I'm very happy with Johnsson and Kappy's contracts. I think Dubas has also done very well at the draft table so far with Sandin and Robertson as impressive picks. He gets credit for landing Tavares and under market rate as well. Pretty happy with the Muzzin trade. I like that we signed 800 depth forwards as well.

I'm okay with the Kadri trade so far but not enamoured. Nylander has a good contract that will serve us well in the long run, but the process was brutal and that set the table for the rest of the players. The Marleau and Zaitsev trades were meh, not bad not great. Firing Babcock goes in the adequate tier for now, it might have been too late or it might have been just in time. Judgement mostly withheld until the season is over, but it will have a big impact on my overall feelings.

The backup situation is a rather embarrassing cluster****. The Matthews and Marner deals are bad and worse, with Matthews having too little term and Marner's contracting being an overpayment and under-termed.

Overall, I voted adequate. If the Leafs were doing well this year I probably would have voted happy. I'd say the good outweighs the bad thusfar, but actual results mean a whole lot more than whether I like some moves or not. We need to make the playoffs and start having some real success before Dubas is praise-worthy IMO. Individual moves are worthy of evaluation, but I'm still undecided on him overall.

Not sure if you missed anything or not here, seems bang on to me. I'm also undecided, but cautiously optimistic and hopeful. Nice summary!

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

The backup situation is a rather embarrassing cluster****. The Matthews and Marner deals are bad and worse, with Matthews having too little term and Marner's contracting being an overpayment and under-termed.

Fair and level headed.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
happy - if the team performed better than the one he took over

adequate - if the team performed similar to the one he took over

concerned - if the team has performed worse than the one he took over

the team has performed worse since he took over so i voted concerned which is a very nice way to word my view of Dubas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad