Votes: 161 29.7%
  • Concerned

Votes: 169 31.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Moving Marleau was necessary to keep Kapanen and Johnsson (as well as Marner). I'm going to go out on a limb and say we could get back more than a 1st for the two of them if we needed the pick for whatever reason.
I hope we get to find out.
Kap and Johnsson are not what this Team needs.
Engvall/Timashov/Kerfoot/Malgin/Petan etc...
Soft.
One dimensional.
We have enough skill.
Surround it with some toughness.
I would rather have kept Marleau for one year even if it meant losing Kap/Johnsson AND Marner.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Can he add I hate him because he's more successful at 34 than I'll ever be and has big black glasses?

That would lead the poll.

People are so insecure here, they now hate him for basically no reason.[/QUOTE
Marner had him or a barrel
Nylander is gonna be considered a pretty good signing if he hits 30 plus goals very tradable if indeed the leafs retool
Marner was the stain in his resume now

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Can he add I hate him because he's more successful at 34 than I'll ever be and has big black glasses?

People are so insecure here, they now hate him for basically no reason.
Many many reasons to hope Wonder Boy is not taken seriously.
He's horrible.
He Won't be there long unless Shanahan has lost his mind.
On a personal note.
You always make comments to people you have never met or spoken too?
Pro athletes.

Reactions: Polaris1010

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach

I would take a 25 year old with massive frames who actually understood how hockey is won over one who doesn’t and maintains that he does. The GM of the Leafs is woefully out of his element and we’re talking about jealousy predicating our dislike for his actions?

I guess the Dubas apologists have run out of plausible defenses.

Dubas cemented he was incapable of being a viable GM when he offered Nylander his “verbal NTC” when he had no reason to. It signaled he was weak and then the flood gates were opened. That act alone was disqualifying. But his inability to understand that mental toughness in players means a LOT is a second, huge reason why he needs to go. Dubas mentality, even if it’s housed in a 34 year old brain, is the problem. And it’s not personal.

I want to be “jealous” of my GM - no matter his age, because he’d be on his way to winning a cup. Nobody is jealous of a young abject failure.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I hope we get to find out.
Kap and Johnsson are not what this Team needs.
Engvall/Timashov/Kerfoot/Malgin/Petan etc...
Soft.
One dimensional.
We have enough skill.
Surround it with some toughness.
I would rather have kept Marleau for one year even if it meant losing Kap/Johnsson AND Marner.

You could have just said your opinion isn't worth reading instead of wasting time typing all of that.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I would take a 25 year old with massive frames who actually understood how hockey is won over one who doesn’t and maintains that he does. The GM of the Leafs is woefully out of his element and we’re talking about jealousy predicating our dislike for his actions?

I guess the Dubas apologists have run out of plausible defenses.

Dubas cemented he was incapable of being a viable GM when he offered Nylander his “verbal NTC” when he had no reason to. It signaled he was weak and then the flood gates were opened. That act alone was disqualifying. But his inability to understand that mental toughness in players means a LOT is a second, huge reason why he needs to go. Dubas mentality, even if it’s housed in a 34 year old brain, is the problem. And it’s not personal.

I want to be “jealous” of my GM - no matter his age, because he’d be on his way to winning a cup. Nobody is jealous of a young abject failure.

Quoted for truth. Liked because it resonates with me perfectly.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

This post seems more insecure than those you're describing.
Was that the intent?

Reactions: Smif

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Adequate.

Drafting and development - Has been quite good and he's turned the Marlies into an elite farm system that is churning out many NHL calibre players of late. Also been happy with how he's actively exploring players outside the NHL and looking into other professional leagues, Mikheyev was a great signing. He puts an emphasis on drafting well and drafting for skill which I like as a philosophy. This is his strongest area for sure.

Signings - He caved into Marner which was very disappointing. Matthews deal is okay considering his goal scoring prowess, however I still felt like he paid too much at the time, but I can live with it if Matthews is scoring at the rate he has been at since Keefe came in. Nylander was a solid signing, always believed in that one being good from the beginning despite how poor last season was for him. Muzzin is a good signing. Tavares would get that contract from any team that had cap room, so not gonna bother critiquing that. In terms of depth players to round out the roster, he's done a good job there as well, keeping guys on short-term deals with reasonable cap hits. Overall, average here.

Trades - I was very skeptical / concerned that we traded a fan favourite and core locker room player on a good deal with term for an expiring contract as the main piece coming back, not to mention Barrie wasn't the kind of D we necessarily needed, and a downgrade at C (in b4 kerfoot 5v5 production gets brought up again without factoring in that he's mostly played wing with Nylander and Tavares). I hate the trade now, and since Barrie wasn't salvaged for assets I see this one as a bust unless the Leafs win a cup with Barrie. The Muzzin trade was fair, Dubas simply paid a fair price, didn't get fleeced but didn't fleece LA either. Same thing with Campbell+Clifford, a fair trade. Rest of his trades have been meh, nothing that really moved the needle all that much in the grand scheme of things or were moves that had to be made for cap reasons. Overall, mediocre job here IMO.

What I think he also neglected a bit was surrounding the team with good character/good leadership, aside from Muzzin, Tavares and Spezza there aren't really other guys who have led teams or won big at this level. Trading Kadri also impacted the room negatively as well IMO, as he was the longest-serving Leaf and a key guy who a lot of the players really loved (Chris Johnston has said so). The kids are running the show now and we see how much they suffer from inconsistency in their efforts.

Everything kinda blew up in his face this year with injuries and the coaching fiasco, so I give him another season to address it. If we're still having these types of conversations a year from now then obviously he deserves to be on the hot seat at that point.

Last edited:

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Adequate.

Drafting and development - Has been quite good and he's turned the Marlies into an elite farm system that is churning out many NHL calibre players of late. Also been happy with how he's actively exploring players outside the NHL and looking into other professional leagues, Mikheyev was a great signing. He puts an emphasis on drafting well and drafting for skill which I like as a philosophy. This is his strongest area for sure.

Signings - He caved into Marner which was very disappointing. Matthews deal is okay considering his goal scoring prowess, however I still felt like he paid too much at the time, but I can live with it if Matthews is scoring at the rate he has been at since Keefe came in. Nylander was a solid signing, always believed in that one being good from the beginning despite how poor last season was for him. Muzzin is a good signing. Tavares would get that contract from any team that had cap room, so not gonna bother critiquing that. In terms of depth players to round out the roster, he's done a good job there as well, keeping guys on short-term deals with reasonable cap hits. Overall, average here.

Trades - I was very skeptical / concerned that we traded a fan favourite and core locker room player on a good deal with term for an expiring contract as the main piece coming back, not to mention Barrie wasn't the kind of D we necessarily needed, and a downgrade at C (in b4 kerfoot 5v5 production gets brought up again without factoring in that he's mostly played wing with Nylander and Tavares). I hate the trade now, and since Barrie wasn't salvaged for assets I see this one as a bust unless the Leafs win a cup with Barrie. The Muzzin trade was fair, Dubas simply paid a fair price, didn't get fleeced but didn't fleece LA either. Same thing with Campbell+Clifford, a fair trade. Rest of his trades have been meh, nothing that really moved the needle all that much in the grand scheme of things or were moves that had to be made for cap reasons. Overall, mediocre job here IMO.

What I think he also neglected a bit was surrounding the team with good character/good leadership, aside from Muzzin, Tavares and Spezza there aren't really other guys who have led teams or won big at this level. Trading Kadri also impacted the room negatively as well IMO, as he was the longest-serving Leaf and a key guy who a lot of the players really loved (Chris Johnston has said so). The kids are running the show now and we see how much they suffer from inconsistency in their efforts.

Everything kinda blew up in his face this year with injuries and the coaching fiasco, so I give him another season to address it. If we're still having these types of conversations a year from now then obviously he deserves to be on the hot seat at that point.

Don't forget the Hyman and Kapanen trades, he did well with those.

Last edited:

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Just my opinion.
Marner is way overpaid and seems like a petulant child.
Kap and AJ are not good hockey players.
Fast?
Yes.
Anything else?
No.
I would keep the first/get a top 4 young defensive D/a top 6 winger with balls and still have a good amount of $ left.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Just my opinion.
Marner is way overpaid and seems like a petulant child.
Kap and AJ are not good hockey players.
Fast?
Yes.
Anything else?
No.
I would keep the first/get a top 4 young defensive D/a top 6 winger with balls and still have a good amount of $ left.
Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Hyman.

Rielly, Muzzin.

Andersen.

Besides these players, I think the Leafs can get rid of everyone else and replace them, no one will notice the difference.

Johnsson been out of the line up for how long? Anyone notice? The Leafs 3rd line one the worst in the league.

Outside of the players listed above, the team seems like a mess.

:deadhorse

Reactions: FraumBallard

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The one issue no one is bringing up, is I want him to address the goaltending this summer by either trading Freddy or signing him to an extension.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Don't forget the Hyman and Kapanen trades, he did well with those.
True, though Hunter was also involved in those deals as him and Dubas were essentially co-GMs between Nonis getting fired and Lou getting hired, with Shanahan also getting involved. Also Hyman as was going to declare free agency using the college loophole and likely sign with the Leafs regardless, they just kinda expedited the process and did Florida a favour by trading them McKegg. Good trades but those weren't solely his.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
True, though Hunter was also involved in those deals as him and Dubas were essentially co-GMs between Nonis getting fired and Lou getting hired, with Shanahan also getting involved. Also Hyman as was going to declare free agency using the college loophole and likely sign with the Leafs regardless, they just kinda expedited the process and did Florida a favour by trading them McKegg. Good trades but those weren't solely his.

Yes they weren't all his, but he deserves alot more credit for those trades.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Kyle Dubas pleased with Leafs' response after losing to Zamboni driver - SooToday.com

A sporting laughingstock across North America and in a battle for their playoff lives, the Leafs started to claw back with a gutsy 4-3 road victory over the Tampa Bay Lightning.

But already down defencemen Morgan Rielly (broken foot) and Cody Ceci (sprained ankle), Toronto subsequently lost steadying influence and locker-room conscience Jake Muzzin for a month with a broken hand to further deplete an already-thin blue line and push the likes of rookies Rasmus Sandin and Timothy Liljegren even further up the lineup.

That's when Dubas — who periodically shares inspirational articles or messages throughout the organization — dusted off an old favourite, posting a version of "The Story of the Chinese Farmer" to his official Twitter feed.

The message was this: it's impossible to know the ramifications of a situation, good or bad, before coming out on the other side.

"Especially last week when everyone is trying to paint a picture of doom and gloom, I think it's important to remember that until you go through everything, you don't know what the consequences are going to be one way or another," Dubas said Tuesday at the NHL GM meetings. "It's just a great reminder."

The Leafs went out the next night and picked up another road win against the Florida Panthers, the team chasing them for the final playoff spot in the Atlantic Division, and grabbed a third straight victory Saturday back home against the Vancouver Canucks.

Sandin and Liljegren have stepped up along with Travis Dermott and Justin Holl, and even Martin Marincin, in the absence of Rielly and Ceci, who are both getting closer to returning, and Muzzin.

But Dubas stressed the team as a whole, which opened a three-game road trip Tuesday in San Jose with a five-point cushion on the fading Panthers, has rededicated itself following the Carolina debacle.

"A lot of (the young defencemen) hadn't played in these roles before," said Dubas, who re-acquired depth defenceman Calle Rosen from Colorado at the trade deadline after dealing him to the Avalanche in July's Tyson Barrie-Nazem Kadri swap. "It has been nice to see them step up and perform really well."

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kyle Dubas pleased with Leafs' response after losing to Zamboni driver - SooToday.com

A sporting laughingstock across North America and in a battle for their playoff lives, the Leafs started to claw back with a gutsy 4-3 road victory over the Tampa Bay Lightning.

But already down defencemen Morgan Rielly (broken foot) and Cody Ceci (sprained ankle), Toronto subsequently lost steadying influence and locker-room conscience Jake Muzzin for a month with a broken hand to further deplete an already-thin blue line and push the likes of rookies Rasmus Sandin and Timothy Liljegren even further up the lineup.

That's when Dubas — who periodically shares inspirational articles or messages throughout the organization — dusted off an old favourite, posting a version of "The Story of the Chinese Farmer" to his official Twitter feed.

The message was this: it's impossible to know the ramifications of a situation, good or bad, before coming out on the other side.

"Especially last week when everyone is trying to paint a picture of doom and gloom, I think it's important to remember that until you go through everything, you don't know what the consequences are going to be one way or another," Dubas said Tuesday at the NHL GM meetings. "It's just a great reminder."

The Leafs went out the next night and picked up another road win against the Florida Panthers, the team chasing them for the final playoff spot in the Atlantic Division, and grabbed a third straight victory Saturday back home against the Vancouver Canucks.

Sandin and Liljegren have stepped up along with Travis Dermott and Justin Holl, and even Martin Marincin, in the absence of Rielly and Ceci, who are both getting closer to returning, and Muzzin.

But Dubas stressed the team as a whole, which opened a three-game road trip Tuesday in San Jose with a five-point cushion on the fading Panthers, has rededicated itself following the Carolina debacle.

"A lot of (the young defencemen) hadn't played in these roles before," said Dubas, who re-acquired depth defenceman Calle Rosen from Colorado at the trade deadline after dealing him to the Avalanche in July's Tyson Barrie-Nazem Kadri swap. "It has been nice to see them step up and perform really well."

I feel like Dubas really shouldn't be making comments that sound like the doom and gloom is behind them after 3 wins. It's a little premature and if things go sideways again this will look bad. If anything the Leafs are streaky and can go undefeated in 10 and then fail to beat a rec league goalie (literally). Hang back and evaluate in the shadows.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I wonder what the Chinese farmer has to say about our chances of beating either Boston or T-Bay in the first rd .

Reactions: egd27

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wonder what the Chinese farmer has to say about our chances of beating either Boston or T-Bay in the first rd .

I wonder if "Chinese Farmer" is going to be Dubas' "Testosterone, Pugnacity and Truculence."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad