Kyle Dubas appreciation / hot seat discussion ***Mod warning in OP***

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Lol he didn't throw him under the bus, and this isn't a matter of convicted/non-convicted. It's a PR/professionalism matter. He straight up said that it won't impact the relationship moving forward, just that Matthews is young and needs to learn from it.

Just like Rielly got rolled out about his alleged slur right? Promise to go to pride parade? You know Rielly didn't even do it at all.

Guys a joke.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
And an article released the day after from his boy, leafs are furious. Lovely stuff, they really have a handle. We need a younger sharper Lou in here, not this guy.

Ah. So it's not his words, it's a the media's headline. Which is about the Leafs not being informed, not about the event itself.

I thought he was terrible for a non-existent pronouncement of guilt?

Get your story straight.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Ah. So it's not his words, it's a the media's headline. Which is about the Leafs not being informed, not about the event itself.

I thought he was terrible for a non-existent pronouncement of guilt?

Get your story straight.

When you use language like disappointed it pretty much is saying he is guilty right.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He wouldn't have commented. You know this.

I can guarantee you he would have and I can guarantee you the headlines would be near identical. That's what GMs do.

You really expect an executive not to be mildly irritated that their star player chose to keep this as a dumb secret and hope it would go away? I'm sure Lamoriello would be dancing in the rain for sure.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
When you use language like disappointed it pretty much is saying he is guilty right.

Wrong. He said he's disapointed that there is a situation and that he's just finding out about it now. There is undeniably a situation, and he's just finding about it now.

Basically this comes down him being on the hot seat because you're bad at inference.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He is not convicted and there is no ruling, there was no reason be disappointed.

They are disappointed that they weren't told about his legal proceeding. How don't you understand this? This has nothing to do with Matthews' himself or if he's guilty or not, or even about his character and the person he is.

You're a superstar sports professional and you get into legal issues, you 1000000% need to let your team know so that they can first of all HELP YOU, and as well as be aware of whats happening to their 50 million dollar player.

Finding out from Twitter... come on. Disappointed is not the word I would describe what every single executive would feel in that scenario.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Wait ... So now were mad at Dubas because of this?

No matter how Dubas handled this stuff the people that blindly dislike the guy would have been upset no matter what.

There’s not a lot of “we” in the “were” that are upset and those that are can’t say why they’re upset.
It’s almost like it’s an excuse.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
They are disappointed that they weren't told about his legal proceeding. How don't you understand this? This has nothing to do with Matthews' himself or if he's guilty or not, or even about his character and the person he is.

You're a superstar sports professional and you get into legal issues, you 1000000% need to let your team know so that they can first of all HELP YOU, and as well as be aware of whats happening to their 50 million dollar player.

Finding out from Twitter... come on. Disappointed is not the word I would describe what every single executive would feel in that scenario.

Especially when you're one of the leaders and possible future captain of the team

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
There’s not a lot of “we” in the “were” that are upset and those that are can’t say why they’re upset.
It’s almost like it’s an excuse.

Exactly it's jus a really ugly way of handling this situation. Its not the first time, the Rielly roll out presser was the worst. I am fearing he does the same with AM right now. I mean that.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Exactly it's jus a really ugly way of handling this situation. Its not the first time, the Rielly roll out presser was the worst. I am fearing he does the same with AM right now. I mean that.

Are you going to provide the direct quote from Dubas that is upsetting you?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Are you going to provide the direct quote from Dubas that is upsetting you?

The whole interview is like a great big dramatic admission while rambling on an on. He could have just said we are looking into it, we know there has been no ruling and we want to be certain of the the details, next question. You also lie and say we were aware. You don't say we were not aware.. It opens the dooors to character questions on Matthews. Its thrown the player under the bus like a tool. Now... AM why did you not tell Kyle, the more this guy opens his mouth, I swear the more and more green he comes off as.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I have no idea what part is throwing someone under the bus nor is he even remotely going close to talking about him being "guilty" of anything. If anything, he actually defended Matthews a whole lot more than I thought he would.

All they wanted was to be told that something went down. This happened in May. Matthews and his lawyer were advised of legal proceedings in July. They chose not to say anything until they found out from Twitter. This is not something that happened the day before.

As an employer and an executive, you need to know these things. If I did what Matthews did, I'd be fired on the spot regardless of my legal outcomes because I did not let them know if my legal proceedings.
If you did this on company time likely yes but if this was your personal time on a Saturday night in Ontario then there would be no legal grounds to fire you and if someone did they would get sued. Remember this is a civil matter not a criminal matter.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The whole interview is like a great big dramatic admission while rambling on an on. He could have just said we are looking into it, we know there has been no ruling and we want to be certain of the the details, next question. You also lie and say we were aware. You don't say we were not aware.. It opens the dooors to character questions on Matthews. Its thrown the player under the bus like a tool. Now... AM why did you not tell Kyle, the more thing guy opens his mouth, I swear the more and more green he comes off as.

So no specific quote. Got it. It’s safe to say it’s just a preconceived bias.

Although most would find it odd that, in your estimation, his character flaw is that he didn’t lie....insert “Joe and Hunter “jokes here.....

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Yes anyone would be disappointed but again this is a civil matter.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
So no specific quote. Got it. It’s safe to say it’s just a preconceived bias.

Although most old find it odd that, in your estimation, his character flaw is that he didn’t lie....insert “Joe and Hunter “jokes here.....

I actually referenced some parts of the interview but you aren't interested in watching it. The spirit of the interview apologetic and disappointed while poibtig the finger at Matthews for not telling him. Then he said he himself found out on twitter, this is not what you do or say EVER.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Remember when we were told that subscriber-supported The Athletic wouldn't be click-baity and sensationalist?

Mirtle has been getting more and more clickbaity as time goes on. I tend to avoid his articles now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad