Kyle Dubas appreciation / hot seat discussion ***Mod warning in OP***

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Misdemeanor is criminal not civil.

But the actual legal aspect is trivial. This is a PR, trust, and judgement issue.

Yeah and Dubas took the internal part of that matter and made it a Leafs nation matter when he said he found out on twitter. Its humorous to me that people don't see this very obvious and serious misstep.

Gotchya

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
When you use language like disappointed it pretty much is saying he is guilty right.

No one is disputing that some incident occurred though. The court will determine if he's guilty of a crime but it's very apparent, including from Matthews' own words, that something at least rising to the level of inappropriate happened and he didn't inform the team. That's enough for it to be disappointing.

It's nuts how things like this bring out the hot takes. First people overreacting over what was a fairly minor incident (and I say that without excusing his actions). Now people overeating that the team is disappointed in him for acting immaturely? What will people overreact about next!?

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Yeah and Dubas took the internal part of that matter and made it a Leafs nation matter when he said he found out on twitter. Its humorous to me that people don't see this very obvious and serious misstep.

Gotchya

Leafs nation pays the bills. Transparency is exactly what we deserve.

Plus, nothing is more powerful for teaching a lesson than a little bit of public embarrassment. He's definitely not going to hide anything like this from the team in the future.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
No one is disputing that some incident occurred though. The court will determine if he's guilty of a crime but it's very apparent, including from Matthews' own words, that something at least rising to the level of inappropriate happened and he didn't inform the team. That's enough for it to be disappointing.

It's nuts how things like this bring out the hot takes. First people overreacting over what was a fairly minor incident (and I say that without excusing his actions). Now people overeating that the team is disappointed in him for acting immaturely? What will people overreact about next!?

Don't forget about made up future events to over react to as well.

Reactions: al secord and kb

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

I laughed about the hysteria of the incident in the initial thread. I am reacting to Dubas giving a shout out to the world that he found out on twitter etc instead of giving a Lou... You know, something like.. we are aware of a situation, we are working with the player and respecting the process. We will make a statement when the time comes. Next question.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
And an article released the day after from his boy, leafs are furious. Lovely stuff, they really have a handle. We need a younger sharper Lou in here, not this guy.

Do you think Dubas and Shanahan aren't furious about this?

I love Auston, but hiding this for THE ENTIRE SUMMER was SO STUPID. It deserves caps lock. Think of how many conversations Matthews, his parents, and his agent probably had with Leafs management. I'd bet several. You'd think they'd let the f'ing GM know that there may be a leak that makes him look like a complete idiot.

Imagine if the captaincy had been announced a few days ago.

I initially didn't know what to think, but after learning that Matthews hid it, I think it shows he's not ready to be a captain of this team. There's nothing wrong with that. He's still ridiculously young, and probably too young to be the captain of a team in this type of market. It's a lot to ask. Give it to Johnny T or Rielly. I'd pick Johnny T, since he's already locked up long-term, and has experience as a captain already.

Reactions: dsred

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Gotchya

He also effectively ended the issue by commenting transparently and professionally.

All your amateur hour cover up would have done is fuel speculation and controversy, dragging the issue out. A cover up wouldn't change the facts, wouldn't change the need to deal with Matthews internally. Wouldn't stop insiders and talking heads. Whispers would get out. Addressing it and moving on effectively neutralizes the situation for 99% of fans.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Misdemeanor is criminal not civil.

But the actual legal aspect is trivial. This is a PR, trust, and judgement issue.
Ok yes you are right just talked to my lawyer. And here's the thing the state has to prove that Auston knowingly tried to disturb the peace. There are lots of cases where drunkenness gets the charge dismissed. So it is likely they say he made a mistake in jest in a drunken state and did not realize he was disturbing the peace.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He also effectively ended the issue by commenting transparently and professionally.

All your amateur hour cover up would have done is fuel speculation and controversy, dragging the issue out. A cover up wouldn't change the facts, wouldn't change the need to deal with Matthews internally. Wouldn't stop insiders and talking heads. Whispers would get out. Addressing it and moving on effectively neutralizes the situation for 99% of fans.

Yes because clearly there has been less drama around the team with Kyle vs Lou. Sorry but I feel you are wrong and tbh, I suspect you know yourself to be and are misleading people who read here. I am sure Morgan Rielly enjoyed a presser about saying slurs that he didn't do and commiting part of his sumer to join pride parade. Sure its possible and all but not likely, the kicker... He never did what was said.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Ok yes you are right just talked to my lawyer. And here's the thing the state has to prove that Auston knowingly tried to disturb the peace. There are lots of cases where drunkenness gets the charge dismissed. So it is likely they say he made a mistake in jest in a drunken state and did not realize he was disturbing the peace.

Yes, the legal aspect is trivial.

If he gets the MLSE involved in July there are two outcomes- this gets settled and buried or the PR team of a multi-billion dollar organization has time to prep and minimize it into a "boys will be boys" two minute soundbite

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

If he gets the MLSE involved in July there are two outcomes- this gets settled and buried or the PR team of a multi-billion dollar organization has time to prep and minimize it into a "boys will be boys" two minute soundbite

And if the GM was swift he could have represented it differently to the media and done the same on the fly. You know, vs sounding like a HS kid caught with his pants down, no pun intended.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Yes because clearly there has been less drama around the team with Kyle vs Lou. Sorry but I feel you are wrong and tbh, I suspect you know yourself to be and are misleading people who read here. I am sure Morgan Rielly enjoyed a presser about saying slurs that he didn't do and commiting part of his sumer to join pride parade. Sure its possible and all but not likely, the kicker... He never did what was said.

The list of people that have remembered or given a shit a Rielly situation in the last 3 months:

@thewave

The list of people that will care about this interview in say 10 days
@thewave

No amount of obfuscation will change that you're tilting at a windmill.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

Gotchya

Help me understand why you take this so seriously. It’s your favourite hockey team, not something that actually affects you :laugh:

Reactions: kb

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Yep probably but who knows how his Arizona lawyer explained it to him. He may have said look this is nothing and it will be thrown out of court at trial. Your defense is you were drunk and you did not knowingly realize you were disturbing the peace. You apologize and it is over.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The list of people that have remembered or given a **** a Rielly situation in the last 3 months:

@thewave

No amount of obfuscation will change that you're tilting at a windmill.

There seems to be an accumulative effect here with Dubas. The misses just keep piling up. Can the guy go 3mths without some drama, an overpay or other?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
There seems to be an accumulative effect here with Dubas.

In your eyes: yes.

To everyone else, no.

There's a crazything seem you seem to be missing, when you're trying to criticize someone on a PR matter, the opinion of the public kind of matters.

Trying to convince people that are satisfied with a statement that had the sole purpose of managing their reaction that it was bad at managing their reaction is a fundamentally irrational act.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
He should have just said we are aware. That's it. Easy.

Speculation was already rampant about whether the team knew or not. There was no getting around it. If he avoided the question it would have been no different than an admission. If he lied about it he would have been easily exposed. Then you go from a player hiding something from their team, which people will attribute to immaturity and get over in a couple weeks, to an executive and multi-billion dollar company lying to their customers. People aren't going to forget that quite as quickly.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Speculation was already rampant about whether the team knew or not. There was no getting around it. If he avoided the question it would have been no different than an admission. If he lied about it he would have been easily exposed. Then you go from a player hiding something from their team, which people will attribute to immaturity and get over in a couple weeks, to an executive and multi-billion dollar company lying to their customers. People aren't going to forget that quite as quickly.

I am not saying a blatant lie. Just say we were aware, that does not hive the date or time or source. There was no reason to offer such details??

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Sorry Warden but I hope you are not speaking for people that haven't read or posted yet agreeing with me. I mean or are you in the heads of all people or trying to flame me right now? Honest question because this seems a bit flamey

Whos agreeing with you that what Dubas said last night was innappropriate? You dont need to give me posters, use media sources or bloggers.

The vast majority of people have no problem with what he said

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad