Kyle Dubas appreciation / hot seat discussion ***Mod warning in OP***

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Continue your discussions about the Leafs GM here.

EDIT - KEEP THIS CIVIL OR YOU WILL BE THREAD BANNED AND WARNED

Last edited by a moderator:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I believe Dubas recent comments to the media regarding the AM34 situation are reason enough alone to put him in the hot seat.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Re: Backup goaltender

Dubas should have admitted his mistake with the entire McElhinney debacle (which has already happened after the Sparks deal) and signed him for 1.3m over 2 years and kept Hutch on the marlies as a #3 @700K. Is saving 600K really worth risking home ice advantage in the playoffs?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Re: Backup goaltender

Dubas should have admitted his mistake with the entire McElhinney debacle (which has already happened after the Sparks deal) and signed him for 1.3m over 2 years and kept Hutch on the marlies as a #3 @700K. Is saving 600K really worth risking home ice advantage in the playoffs?

He did admit it was a mistake.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yeah, firm but diplomatic public stances are for losers. Should have torn a strip off of him in the media, paraded him out in a dunce cap and really made sure to cause as much controversy as possible.

AM34 is not convicted, its before the courts. Not even AM has said much. He referenced lawyers and such. Dubas called out his alleged conduct basically saying he was guilty before he has seen a judge. You dont get that?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
AM34 is not convicted, its before the courts. Not even AM has said much. He referenced lawyers and such. Dubas called out his alleged conduct basically saying he was guilty before he has seen a judge. You dont get that?

This isn't a major legal proceeding. It's a young person that lives in the public eye acting like an idiot (in a ridiculously minor way) and then not handling it well. The not handling it well is why it's being talked about now. The young person has admitted as such. His boss addressed it as such.

What in these words do you have a problem with?

Kyle Dubas: "Number one, that there was a situation... Number two, the way in which we found out... Both were disappointing" | Maple Leafs Hotstove

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This isn't a major legal proceeding. It's a young person that lives in the public eye acting like an idiot (in a ridiculously minor way) and then not handling it well. The not handling it well is why it's being talked about now. The young person has admitted as such. His boss addressed it as such.

Regardless you never do that as an exec. You never ever throw a friend or employee under the bus until he is convicted. If its serious like Voynov was they suspended with pay but that's crazy stuff.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Regardless you never do that as an exec. You never ever throw a friend or employee under the bus until he is convicted. If its serious like Voynov was they suspended with pay but that's crazy stuff.

Lol he didn't throw him under the bus, and this isn't a matter of convicted/non-convicted. It's a PR/professionalism matter. He straight up said that it won't impact the relationship moving forward, just that Matthews is young and needs to learn from it.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I have no idea what part is throwing someone under the bus nor is he even remotely going close to talking about him being "guilty" of anything. If anything, he actually defended Matthews a whole lot more than I thought he would.

All they wanted was to be told that something went down. This happened in May. Matthews and his lawyer were advised of legal proceedings in July. They chose not to say anything until they found out from Twitter. This is not something that happened the day before.

As an employer and an executive, you need to know these things. If I did what Matthews did, I'd be fired on the spot regardless of my legal outcomes because I did not let them know if my legal proceedings.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
I think dubas handled himself well. All things considered. I would be livid in his position if a player deliberately withheld information regarding a charge or investigation and only to find out through Twitter days before the beginning of the season and potentially naming him captain.

This is a lesson I hope that Matthews has learned. Transparency and honesty with your team will go a long way. People always find out the dirt. It's better to be on the offence than defence in situations like this.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Lol he didn't throw him under the bus, and this isn't a matter of convicted/non-convicted. It's a PR/professionalism matter. He straight up said that it won't impact the relationship moving forward, just that Matthews is young and needs to learn from it.

And an article released the day after from his boy, leafs are furious. Lovely stuff, they really have a handle. We need a younger sharper Lou in here, not this guy.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Watch it again. I believe his answer to be responding to not telling MLSE. When talking about the incident at the end, he just talked about consulting his legal staff.

You cant type the quote , yet you believe it’s “hot seat” worthy. Come on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad