Kuznetsov : 21st player in NHL history to reach 30 points

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Seeing Kevin Stevens' name reminds me what a monster that guy was. When I think power forward that's who I think of.
Had a great prime. Strong on the puck and had great hockey wits too. Not just a goon who fed off of Mario.

He was very bad after all the injuries, late in his career. And sometimes gets remembered for those times. But after rewatching the 1992 finals, I was again reminded of how good he was. He could make big plays by himself - one of the best in the league at it.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
How did Gretzky only win 2 Conn Smythe trophies? Looking at the numbers the years he won, it seems like he was always head a shoulders above the rest.

Why did Messier win over him in '84 when he had 9 less points and 5 less goals?

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
His performance is actually CS worthy, unlike Sid in 16. Ovy is 1st in goals, 2nd in points, plus player. You don't have to make up arguments in his favor (two-way play or leadership or whatever).

Yep, only took him six more games to have as many goals as Scheifele. ;) Oh, and 17th in points per game in the playoffs. Well, Kuznetsov with his 31 points is 7th.

The Conn Smythe should go to...I don't even care at this point. It'll go to Kuznetsov probably.
To be fair, he does it because his daughter likes it.
It's sickening.

Reactions: HandsomeTom43

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
How did Gretzky only win 2 Conn Smythe trophies? Looking at the numbers the years he won, it seems like he was always head a shoulders above the rest.

Why did Messier win over him in '84 when he had 9 less points and 5 less goals?
Those questions are usually asked by people who look at box scores instead of games. I have a friend like that. Hockey is more complex than numbers alone.

Sergei DRW

Nov 17, 2010
He was playing against goalies who would be backups in the AHL today.

And who loathed dropping into a "butterfly" with much thinner equipment, so almost everything that went into a goal - went in.
When you rewatch the film - shots from the blue line went in regularly, just because the goalie didn't think it was a good idea to drop to catch that puck.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Yep, only took him six more games to have as many goals as Scheifele. ;) Oh, and 17th in points per game in the playoffs. Well, Kuznetsov with his 31 points is 7th.
And I'm sure Scheifele would trade places with him in a second.

I'm sure Jake Guentzels leading the playoffs in points through 2 rounds trophy will be coming in the mail any day now.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
And I'm sure Scheifele would trade places with him in a second.

I'm sure Jake Guentzels leading the playoffs in points through 2 rounds trophy will be coming in the mail any day now.
Some of the greatest playoff performances in history are lost in obscurity because the players' team didn't make the finals.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
If only he didn't have such a ******ed goal celebration.

f16.jpg

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I heard someone say Kuznetsov had 19 points in his last 11 games of the regular season too, which gives him 50 points in his last 34 games. Pretty solid time of the year to put on the turbo.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Those questions are usually asked by people who look at box scores instead of games. I have a friend like that. Hockey is more complex than numbers alone.

I mean, it was 3 years before I was born...

Which is why I asked the question. What could Messier have possibly done to close the points and goals gap?

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006

The Conn Smythe should go to...I don't even care at this point. It'll go to Kuznetsov probably.

It's sickening.
Care to use the same metrics on Crosby in 16? I didn't think so....

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Point>Kuz though right? I mean really, give Point the CS. :laugh:

But for real, Kuz probably deserves the CS more than Ovechkin in these playoffs, but we'll see how it goes.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
So pumped for the guy, the Capitals and the fans! Who could have seen this coming after his past playoffs?

Sick player and I can't wait to see him lift the Cup and Conn Smythe!

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
I wrote him off after the Leafs series where he wasn't the least bit intimidating, he proved me wrong.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
I agree with those who think this playoffs does not make Backstrom's place in history look good. He was clearly not good enough to be the 1C for a Cup contender, while the team itself looked better. Ovechkin was always good-to-great, but as far as the rest of the team... well, the blame should start with Backstrom. Retroactively.
This is stupid. Backstrom had zero help down the middle for many years including a few years ago when Kuznetsov had 2 pts in 12 playoff games. The only years he had help was Federov and their defense was crap then.

Reactions: Chips

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad