Kuznetsov : 21st player in NHL history to reach 30 points

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Here are the #s in the ECF against Tampa
- lead both teams in shots (33)
- lead both teams in goals with Ovi (4)
- lead both teams in points (10)
- lead both teams in icetime amongst forwards (20)
- lead both teams in +/-
- double corsi +/- amongst linemates
- lead teams in bird celly

In these playoffs (4 series)
- leads the playoffs in Game Score
- leads the playoffs in Corsi (forwards)
- leads the playoffs in Goals For
- leads the playoffs in point/60 after 1st round
- leads Capitals in Corsi +/-
- leads Capitals in Rel GF%
- leads Capitals forwards in GF%
- leads Capitals forwards in xGF
... he's leading in all major advanced stat category

12 goals 19 assists 31 points in 23 games whilst missing the majority of one with an apparent injury

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Here are the #s in the ECF
- lead both teams in shots (33)
- lead both teams in goals with Ovi (4)
- lead both teams in points (10)
- lead both teams in icetime amongst forwards (20)
- lead both teams in +/-
- double corsi +/- amongst linemates
- lead teams in bird celly

I feel vindicated after all these years. Phenomenal playoffs by him and Ovi.

Strictly by #s they are top 3 in MVP with Fleury and it's not remotely close.

Holtby could have a say in MVP as well tbh. Mostly because there's a lot of narrative there:

1. He lost his #1 job (and after Price he arguably had the most stable #1 job in the league going into the NHL this year). Didn't start playoffs. But got brought in when 0-2 and somehow helped Caps stage an improbable comeback winning 4 straight against CBJ to win 4-2.

2. Against Tampa, Washington goes up 2-0, seems like a shoe-in....till Tampa wins 3 straight. People are writing off Washington as done...and then he gets back to back shutouts.

3. (tbd). Fleury is arguably having a top 1-3 goalie performance of ALL-TIME through 3 rounds of hockey. Very in-line with Giguere in 2003, and other great performances. Without actually ranking Fleury's performance, suffice it to say it's pretty great. If holtby can somehow come into the finals and clearly out-goalie him - that would be a big story too.

So I think Holtby could definitely have some strong storyline reasons too to be in contention.

Sorry for the slight off-topic tangent lol. I agree that Kuz has been spectacular, and particularly in the ECF which is amazing considering playoffs usually get harder as u go up in rounds.

Reactions: Plural

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
I'd like to be around when he explains that absurd celebration to his kids. THAT'S gonna be embarrassing.

Otherwise, yea, the guy is a performer and I don't think anyone has been questioning that. If they have they haven't been paying attention.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
Oh, and there are only two available options for Conn Smythe winners, Ovie and MAF.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Holtby could have a say in MVP as well tbh. Mostly because there's a lot of narrative there:

1. He lost his #1 job (and after Price he arguably had the most stable #1 job in the league going into the NHL this year). Didn't start playoffs. But got brought in when 0-2 and somehow helped Caps stage an improbable comeback winning 4 straight against CBJ to win 4-2.

2. Against Tampa, Washington goes up 2-0, seems like a shoe-in....till Tampa wins 3 straight. People are writing off Washington as done...and then he gets back to back shutouts.

3. (tbd). Fleury is arguably having a top 1-3 goalie performance of ALL-TIME through 3 rounds of hockey. Very in-line with Giguere in 2003, and other great performances. Without actually ranking Fleury's performance, suffice it to say it's pretty great. If holtby can somehow come into the finals and clearly out-goalie him - that would be a big story too.

So I think Holtby could definitely have some strong storyline reasons too to be in contention.

Sorry for the slight off-topic tangent lol. I agree that Kuz has been spectacular, and particularly in the ECF which is amazing considering playoffs usually get harder as u go up in rounds.

Holtby's been doing what basically every good goalie having a good playoffs does. He's not been Giguere or Fleury level, just getting the job done. If you look at the back to back shutout games bolts had tons of yawning nets where they couldn't get their stick on the puck (such as Gourde's miss) or the defense getting to it first rather than Holtby just flat out stonewalling them.

People think every competent goalie who holds the fort to the Stanley Cup is Conn Smythe level lol. Holtby's been excellent but 8 and 92 have been better.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
"I feel vindicated that the thing that has been wrong for years has finally turned around."

Even meteorologists have a better record than that so I'm not certain this is the hill you want to die on.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Kuzy's been amazing.

If Caps win, OV's gonna get the Con Smyth based on over coming adversity and similar stats.

If Vegas wins, can't see anyone other than MAF for Smyth.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
Very true mister Whale Mingo

"Daddy, does your user name sound like Whale Penis?"
Truth be told, it's a fictional character from a cartoon my granddaughter likes. Yes, I understand what it means to make your kids/grandkids happy.

Good for Kuznetzov if it makes his daughter happy, still ridiculous.

Reactions: discobob

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
She'll grow up one day. Those clips will exist forever.
Haters gonna hate. :laugh:
giphy.gif

Last edited:

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Truth be told, it's a fictional character from a cartoon my granddaughter likes. Yes, I understand what it means to make your kids/grandkids happy.

Good for Kuznetzov if it makes his daughter happy, still ridiculous.

I agree, it's funny looking, but he's such a clown... It fits

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Great player, but he looks like a dumbass and I cringe everytime he scores.
I admit the first time I saw his celebration, I wondered why he did it because I thought it was ridiculous too but when I knew it was for his daughter, I didn't have a problem with it anymore. But hating Kuznetsov only because his celly is really ridiculous too.

Last edited:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Holtby's been doing what basically every good goalie having a good playoffs does. He's not been Giguere or Fleury level, just getting the job done. If you look at the back to back shutout games bolts had tons of yawning nets where they couldn't get their stick on the puck (such as Gourde's miss) or the defense getting to it first rather than Holtby just flat out stonewalling them.

People think every competent goalie who holds the fort to the Stanley Cup is Conn Smythe level lol. Holtby's been excellent but 8 and 92 have been better.

this

Stan Galiev

Sasha Minor
May 15, 2015
I'd like to be around when he explains that absurd celebration to his kids. THAT'S gonna be embarrassing.

Otherwise, yea, the guy is a performer and I don't think anyone has been questioning that. If they have they haven't been paying attention.
He actually does the Bird celebration because his daughter likes it. I think it’s fun.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Kuznetsov has peaked higher than this.

But his celly is the best it's ever been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad