Kucherovs development

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
What happened to Tyler Johnson and palat? I rem back in 14-15 them and kucherov and were sick together. Now they're meh?
Kucherov simply made them better. He was the straw that stirred the triplets, or TKO, line. And since Johnson has been back with Kuch for large stretches this year, his stats look much better - he reached the 20 goal plateau last night.

Anyone who plays with Kuch puts up huge numbers. Point is amazing, for instance, likely perennial 75-90 point scorer. But he is on pace to crack 100 and his stats are probably a bit inflated given his current beneficiary status.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Kucherov simply made them better. He was the straw that stirred the triplets, or TKO, line. And since Johnson has been back with Kuch for large stretches this year, his stats look much better - he reached the 20 goal plateau last night.
Eh, not really. Johnson was our best forward that year.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
The fact he’s a 2nd Rounder makes ya think that literately any team could’ve had IMO the best winger in the NHL. But gotta admit that Tampa knows how to develop them some very good forwards, and who knows if he would have the same success in another teams system.

I think I remember reading that he was only that low due to him possibly staying in Russia or something.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He doesn't have the best hands, fastest legs, hardest shot or biggest strength, but he has arguably the greatest hockey iq in the history of the game.

His hands and shot are pretty damn good and no he doesn't have the highest IQ in the history of the game, but it is way, way up there without a doubt.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
His shot is certainly elite, maybe not Ovi level but among the top 1% in the league.

Can hardly believe how good this guy got....Steph Curry of the NHL? Obviously their paths aren't exactly the same but he went from a future star/budding superstar to having one of the most statistically dominant seasons in recent memory in 12 months. Even his biggest supporters would probably laugh 2 years ago if you told them he could hit 130.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Can you imagine? Thinking the guy that went 1st overall would be better than a 2nd round pick from the previous year. Just CRAZY!

Edit: Props to the Bolts for their player development. It's downright impressive.

Lol he's psychic obviously and anyone who isn't is just plain stupid.

Reactions: Bretzky

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I remember polls back in 2015 asking which of the triplets was best. Kucherov was by no means the unanimous favorite.

Newt91

Feb 8, 2019
Crazy development, I mean every team passed on him in 2011. Even Tampa drafted Namestnikov before him. Hindsight 20/20 I guess

Reactions: Fixxer

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I remember polls back in 2015 asking which of the triplets was best. Kucherov was by no means the unanimous favorite.
Johnson was the center and point leader on that line. Palat had elite defensive game and would've finished ahead of Kuch in points if not for injuries. There were arguments for both Johnson and Palat being the best player on that line, not so much for Kucherov.

Now Kucherov has 33 more points than those two combined this season.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Whenever people bring up these subjects, they usually fail to recognize the Jon Cooper Factor. Kucherov scored 18 points in his rookie year partly because he spent most of the year in Cooper's doghouse for poor defensive play. Kuch's confidence was shot partway through, and it wasn't a given he would make the roster the next year out of camp (Coop said as much in a HC@N interview).

It wasn't until 2016/2017 that Kucherov was given 1st PP duty, after Stamkos blew his knee. That's where Kuch really started to take off. Drouin-Hedman-Kucherov were lethal. And now Stamkos-Hedman-Kucherov are lethal.

Kucherov has definitely developed a lot, but there's a lot more to the story than those numbers tell.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Johnson was the center and point leader on that line. Palat had elite defensive game and would've finished ahead of Kuch in points if not for injuries. There were arguments for both Johnson and Palat being the best player on that line, not so much for Kucherov.

Now Kucherov has 33 more points than those two combined this season.

Yeah, but those other two have had a diminished role while Kucherov's has increased. Johnson was more/less the 1C in 2015, whereas now he's a top-six winger, getting very limited PP time.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
I have seen Kucherov play live in juniors and while he produced roughly 2 PPG I was not really sure his game would translate to the pros as I thought he was a bit soft , prone to overpassing and trying stuffs too complicated for no reasons. If I had to guess between him and Andrighetto im not sure who I would have chosen at that time.

Crazy progression and pretty funny with hindsight to see he was traded to Rouyn by the remparts (quebec) so they could keep.. Grigorenko.

Reactions: Fixxer

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Reactions: Acallabeth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad