Value of: Kucherov next contract

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
GM's hate offer sheets.

It's a no brainer for the other 29 teams at the time. Tampa probably would've matched, that's fine, but make them at least pay 7.5-8m per for this guy, they are getting away with murder.

My own personal theory is that GM's/Owners have some sort of silent agreement in place to not send offer sheets. Why is it even in the CBA if nobody does it?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Why do people think a p otential rocket/ross season would lead to an 8.5 million deal AFTER signing low on a bridge to help the crunch????

Isn’t this a pay me later scenario? Because Tampa fans seem to think that the tax breaks don’t affect the salaries

lmfao tax breaks have EVERYTHING to do with this. Add the fact that the Lightning can add an 8th year that no one else can, Kucherov could be paid $11 million AAV and per the NHL average he STILL would not match the take-home pay of Steven Stamkos' 8 years x $8.5 million extension.

And plus hometown discounts is literally clockwork for Lightning players.We live in a world where Victor Hedman makes less than $8 million a year

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
or he got bent over a barrel and had to sign that atrocious deal. you either sit the whole season out or accept our deal. kuch folded. or maybe he likes it when callahan gets 6mil and he gets much less. he loves tampa and the team so much.

He didn't sign a terrible deal and he didn't fold.

People are too quick to forget that players coming off their ELCs are RFAs with very little leverage. There is no arbitration, and offer sheets are a non-factor.

The leverage those players have is usually that if their teams refuse to sign 6+ year deals, the player will be more expensive coming off a bridge deal. With players like Kucherov, most of the time teams realise this and go long term. Tampa didn't want to go long term because they were in a cap crunch and needed the cap savings a bridge deal would give them.

A 3 year 14.3M contract is a HUGE bridge deal.

Reactions: Crede777

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
Isn't he an RFA? Keep in mind that Tarasenko recently signed an 8 year, 7.5m AAV contract. I could see Kucherov signing long term for 8.5m.

Eichel was able to get 10 because he's their only franchise player and Buffalo is a bottom dweller at the moment and aren't overly concerned with cap space.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
Hope he signs for max. Players should be paid what they're worth not what benefits the cap situation.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

People are too quick to forget that players coming off their ELCs are RFAs with very little leverage. There is no arbitration, and offer sheets are a non-factor.

The leverage those players have is usually that if their teams refuse to sign 6+ year deals, the player will be more expensive coming off a bridge deal. With players like Kucherov, most of the time teams realise this and go long term. Tampa didn't want to go long term because they were in a cap crunch and needed the cap savings a bridge deal would give them.

That is unless you're Edmonton, in which case whenever a player comes of ELC they lose their minds.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Panarin got 6M/year bridge. And Kucherov agreed to a bridge contract only because Tampa couldn't sign him for anything bigger and longer. The next contract will have a nice bonus to him for that bridge. Kucherov > Draisaitl, and it's not even remotely close.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
I get why they bridged him but it's going to come back and bite them in the rear. He is going to get paid. 9 - 9.5M x 8 would be my guess. For those saying he will get less than Stamkos because SY created an internal mandate... let me ask you this, why does Kuch care? He's a much better player and more important to the team. If i'm him I tell SY to eat crow and pay me what i'm worth, especially after bridging me last time.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

That guy likes talking trash about Tampa in every Kucherov thread he can find. Seriously, check his post history.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Panarin got 6M/year bridge. And Kucherov agreed to a bridge contract only because Tampa couldn't sign him for anything bigger and longer. The next contract will have a nice bonus to him for that bridge. Kucherov > Draisaitl, and it's not even remotely close.

That's not a comparable situation. Panarin could have elected to go to arbitration, something Kucherov could not do.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Honestly I don't care. Pay him what he wants - I don't think Yzerman is going to play hard ball. Hedman re-signed the first second he was eligible to - I imagine a similar scenario with Kucherov. The only reason it didn't happen last time was the cap crunch, but that will be somewhat alleviated next time around.

Coburn and Girardi will be off the books by then. Cally will be in the last year of his deal. We'll be paying the last of Carle's buyout. Sergachev will be on an ELC still. We might be a little tight to the cap in 19/20, but in 20/21 we get a lot more space with 5.8 from Cally and 1.8 from Carle off the books, as well (plus a Cally buyout in 19/20 is a possibility/maybe he's tradeable at that point).

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Deserves around 11.5 but with Stamkos at 8.5 who knows. Anything below 10 is a complete steal.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Honestly I don't care. Pay him what he wants - I don't think Yzerman is going to play hard ball. Hedman re-signed the first second he was eligible to - I imagine a similar scenario with Kucherov. The only reason it didn't happen last time was the cap crunch, but that will be somewhat alleviated next time around.

Coburn and Girardi will be off the books by then. Cally will be in the last year of his deal. We'll be paying the last of Carle's buyout. Sergachev will be on an ELC still. We might be a little tight to the cap in 19/20, but in 20/21 we get a lot more space with 5.8 from Cally and 1.8 from Carle off the books, as well (plus a Cally buyout in 19/20 is a possibility/maybe he's tradeable at that point).

To be honest, with all that money coming off the books by then we could almost effectively hand him a blank check. Thankfully it won't come to that and the best news of all is that if you want to consider Vasilevskiy a core piece then Kucherov will be the 2nd to last piece of the nucleus to get locked up long term before Vasilevskiy does. Hedman, Stamkos, Kucherov, Johnson, Palat and Vasilevskiy will all be playing together for at least 4 without destroying our cap space and arguably the NHL's 2nd best prospect pipeline filling out replacements in the roster by then.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
lmfao tax breaks have EVERYTHING to do with this. Add the fact that the Lightning can add an 8th year that no one else can, Kucherov could be paid $11 million AAV and per the NHL average he STILL would not match the take-home pay of Steven Stamkos' 8 years x $8.5 million extension.

And plus hometown discounts is literally clockwork for Lightning players.We live in a world where Victor Hedman makes less than $8 million a year

You should tell your fellow fans that. They refuse to believe that tax breaks may influence cap hit

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Don't buy into the Yzerman hype too much... high end defensemen should earn around $8.0, which is exactly what he is paid.

There is no reason for Kucherov to not demand, and receive, more than Toews' cap hit.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Whatever Kucherov tells them to pay him.

Seriously. He took a big one for the team, he'll get whatever he wants out of the next round. I do think that if the team makes it to the playoffs this year and has a strong showing, that may convince him to take a bit less.

I'd be happy to pay him 10-11, I'd lose my mind if we get him for 8.5-9.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Don't buy into the Yzerman hype too much... high end defensemen should earn around $8.0, which is exactly what he is paid.

There is no reason for Kucherov to not demand, and receive, more than Toews' cap hit.

Counter-point: It's Victor Hedman... there was no reason for him to not demand, and receive more than P.K Subban to have been the highest paid defenseman in the league.

It's not Yzerman hype. It's a team culture

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Which ones because we are the first people to say anything and everything about tax breaks and get railed on about how it doesn't make a difference.

The guys arguing tax breaks are solely the reason we're getting players for cheaper than market value, no the team culture is the biggest reason and the fact that the core members actually want to stay together. This really this only affects players brought up internally, it's shown very little if any influence on free agent signings, honestly a bigger deal than people make it out to be.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Counter-point: It's Victor Hedman... there was no reason for him to not demand, and receive more than P.K Subban to have been the highest paid defenseman in the league.

It's not Yzerman hype. It's a team culture

Then let all other teams bow down and praise the almighty TB team culture; it is most impressive.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Stamkos had injury problems. If he had kept scoring 50 a season it would've been difficult for Tampa avoid 9.5m+.

Assuming Kucherov keeps his pace from last season and stays healthy, it would be quite a hometown discount for him to take the deal as Stammer. I think he gets $9.5m x 8

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
He's been the 3rd best Forward in the NHL over the past two seasons.

He can get whatever he wants. Give him a Blank check.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad