Value of: Kucherov next contract

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yes. Players in Tampa aren’t paid what they are worth because they can take less due to tax breaks

Yes you are right, solely because of tax breaks. Spot on.

That Girardi and Callahan sure aren't paid what they're worth, imagine the $$ they could be making elsewhere.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yes you are right, solely because of tax breaks. Spot on.

Do you honestly believe it has no bearing? Mcdavid even mentioned taxes in his contract talks. Stamkos was widely reported to have considered this with leaf negotiations and shanny countered with endorsement deals. HF boards and all hockey media know about this but it has no bearing on contract negotiations?

Do you believe it doesn’t happen? Or it is fair if it does?

Purely hypothetical? If kucherov were actually to report that he took less because of the tax breaks would you think it is fair?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
8.5m, he'll take the same deal as Stamkos.

This would be my guess.

I mean, he could likely demand more. But he's in a situation where he knows he can still get paid, while also allowing Tampa a bit of wiggle room to keep a contender.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Do you honestly believe it has no bearing? Mcdavid even mentioned taxes in his contract talks. Stamkos was widely reported to have considered this with leaf negotiations and shanny countered with endorsement deals. HF boards and all hockey media know about this but it has no bearing on contract negotiations?

Do you believe it doesn’t happen? Or it is fair if it does?

Purely hypothetical? If kucherov were actually to report that he took less because of the tax breaks would you think it is fair?

Is it fair that a player could sign a cheap contract in Toronto for example because they can get a lot in endorsements that don't count against the cap? Should the league make a cap for every team based on their tax situation? Add endorsements the players can get in markets like Toronto or Montreal to the cap? Should NHL force the government to change their tax laws so every team's tax situation is the same? What about when a player gets traded between two teams that have two different caps because of taxes? Do they restructure the players deal to mirror the tax laws in the state the team is in?

You're asking for impossible things.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Is it fair that a player could sign a cheap contract in Toronto for example because they can get a lot in endorsements that don't count against the cap? Should the league make a cap for every team based on their tax situation? Add endorsements the players can get in markets like Toronto or Montreal to the cap? Should NHL force the government to change their tax laws so every team's tax situation is the same? What about when a player gets traded between two teams that have two different caps because of taxes? Do they restructure the players deal to mirror the tax laws in the state the team is in?

You're asking for impossible things.

Its not an endorsement cap.... there are solutions.
How about allowing people to have a signing bonus in Florida so that part is tax free? Even it up something like that. Allowing other teams to have a luxury tax system.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I was reading an article with comments from his new agent who also represented Datsyuk. Kucherov just wants to do everything possible to become Datsyuk. He also said that he hated missing the playoffs last year and that he doesn't want to miss the playoffs ever again and that he doesn't care how many goals or points he has as long as the team can win.

That sounds like someone who has bought into the team mentality completely. I really don't see him asking for the 10-11M he's worth. He'll stay at the 8.5M. It allows Tampa to build a team that doesn't lose more depth than it already has.
Thanks from what i'm understanding from Kucherov's agent, Or at least from the sound of things that with Kuch it's more about winning then getting paid big money. I think he would accept a similar deal to what both Stamkos and Hedman are making especially if it means keeping Tampa's core together. I know he wants a cup more then any thing and to play on a winning organization. So i'm pretty sure with Kuch it's more about winning that being a high paid player.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Thanks from what i'm understanding from Kucherov's agent, Or at least from the sound of things that with Kuch it's more about winning then getting paid big money.
or he got bent over a barrel and had to sign that atrocious deal. you either sit the whole season out or accept our deal. kuch folded. or maybe he likes it when callahan gets 6mil and he gets much less. he loves tampa and the team so much.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
or he got bent over a barrel and had to sign that atrocious deal. you either sit the whole season out or accept our deal. kuch folded.
I don't think there's anything atrocious about it. 4.7 for three years just means that he's in perfect position for a monster contract when he hits 26, if he wants it. It's like a high end bridge deal.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
ux5fgz3i07hz.jpg

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
or he got bent over a barrel and had to sign that atrocious deal. you either sit the whole season out or accept our deal. kuch folded. or maybe he likes it when callahan gets 6mil and he gets much less. he loves tampa and the team so much.

Yes because Yzerman was going to let Kucherov sit a whole season on a cup contending year and piss off a core player, that makes sense. Not only that but he also forced him to sign that gross contract for 3 years not just 1.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Yes because Yzerman was going to let Kucherov sit a whole season on a cup contending year and piss off a core player, that makes sense. Not only that but he also forced him to sign that gross contract for 3 years not just 1.

Of course and comparing a UFA and a RFA is also a timeless classic. Only reason Kuch is playing so well is because he wants to guarantee he makes billions and millions after his current contract expires when he's still RFA.

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
Yzerman created an internal salary cap with Stamkos signing at 8.5. Kuch will sign for the exact same or maybe 8.6 per to match his number.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
The one flaw with the taxes argument is it assumes the player believes he will always be there. Only an idiot would negotiate without considering the possibility of being moved.

Now granted this is a player who merit's a NTC but will it be with only an option on Florida teams?

I think you guys are looking at 10 Mil. You might get a bit of a hometown discount but if he takes too big a hit the Union will get upset.

Last edited:

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Kucherov could easily ask for 11m+, but I think he'll settle for less for a chance to win the Cup.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
its gonna be huge. unlike stamkos, he took a MASSIVE discount already.
10+

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
I really can't imagine him taking 8.5M. I definitely expect a discount, but even 9.5M is a nice discount for him. My guess is Tampa will try to move Stamkos though. Don't see how they can fit everyone under the cap otherwise. Kuch, Point, Vasilievski and Sergachev will all be due big raises.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't think there's anything atrocious about it. 4.7 for three years just means that he's in perfect position for a monster contract when he hits 26, if he wants it. It's like a high end bridge deal.

Yeah, that deal will work out nicely for him when he gets $10m or more on his next contract.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yes. Players in Tampa aren’t paid what they are worth because they can take less due to tax breaks
If he continues scoring like he has the past two years, you could argue that he's worth 11 -12 million per year. 8.5 is too big of a pay cut to expect. 10 sounds about right. Remember, this is a guy who already 'took one for the team' on his current contract. Why would he do it again?

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
Remember that time nobody sent this guy an offer sheet for 8m+ (unless he did receive one and just didn't accept - I doubt it) even though every single non-TB hockey fan in the world (especially of Atlantic division rivals) were screaming to do so? :huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad