Value of: Kucherov next contract

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Tampa can move Killorn, say retain 350k and get something for him, they can Also move Johnson and Palat. Callahan is deadweight though.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Pastrnak's contract is a bargain as well... only because of his age though, not some mythical culture.

This isn't an indictment of you, since i dont know your opinions on the topic. But i find it funny that when people suggest the idea of taking less money to keep a team together to build a team- the 'culture' being talked about in this thread - there has to be some ulterior motive or reason (in this instance, income tax). It can't just be that some people want to win because they believe in their team.

Yet, when McDavid and Draisatl signed their contracts, presumably once Matthews signs his, and probably countless others over the past few years did, its an outcry because "they should take less to keep their team together and go for the cup." You can't win on this site.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Since he's been probably the most underpaid player in the NHL on his last contract, he's gonna get paid. He's the new go to guy on Tampa and I think the contract will reflect that, right around 9.5

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
This isn't an indictment of you, since i dont know your opinions on the topic. But i find it funny that when people suggest the idea of taking less money to keep a team together to build a team- the 'culture' being talked about in this thread - there has to be some ulterior motive or reason (in this instance, income tax). It can't just be that some people want to win because they believe in their team.

Yet, when McDavid and Draisatl signed their contracts, presumably once Matthews signs his, and probably countless others over the past few years did, its an outcry because "they should take less to keep their team together and go for the cup." You can't win on this site.

Honestly, I think a lot of the time it's the NHLPA that stops players from taking big hometown discounts

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Pastrnak's contract is a bargain as well... only because of his age though, not some mythical culture where athletes don't wish to maximize their retirements.

Team culture is a thing anywhere not just sports, people in real life turn down opportunities to remain in a place they like all the time. Not sure how anyone with any people experience don't know this.

Is it the only factor? No but it'll play part, not like the guy will be taking him pennies on his next deal either.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Honestly, I think a lot of the time it's the NHLPA that stops players from taking big hometown discounts

Because it upsets you?

And how would that work for the NHLPA, you'd be catering to star players taking on large caphits forcing clubs to push out the majority of players who sit in the middle in order to sign cheap depth to fill roster spots. Genius.

Reactions: geoo9

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

I agree - and to be fair, that's kind of their job - as they want to raise players salaries altogether. Raising the ceiling will inevitably raise the floor as well. Until we hit another lockout, and then we start all over when the casual fan base walks away because they are tired of losing half a season or more every 7 years.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I agree - and to be fair, that's kind of their job - as they want to raise players salaries altogether. Raising the ceiling will inevitably raise the floor as well. Until we hit another lockout, and then we start all over when the casual fan base walks away because they are tired of losing half a season or more every 7 years.

How does this make any sense? You know there's a salary cap tight? Please explain how raising salaries to an unmoving cap helps ALL players retain jobs?

What you're suggesting is that star players should get paid more and if you're not a star you can take a bargain deal or we'll replace you with someone who will. Yep that'll pan out for the PA.

Here's the point you're missing, with a salary cap when one player makes more there's less to go around, simple? Even worse for teams with an internal budget.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Because it upsets you?

And how would that work for the NHLPA, you'd be catering to star players taking on large caphits forcing clubs to push out the majority of players who sit in the middle in order to sign cheap depth to fill roster spots. Genius.

What in the world are you talking about??? I know you really want Kucherov on a cheap deal, but you can take a breath here and there

Because when great players take hometown discounts, it sets the bar lower for other players to fall in line. Do you see a lot of "sit in the middle" players without deals because of what you're talking about? Nope.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
What in the world are you talking about??? I know you really want Kucherov on a cheap deal, but you can take a breath here and there

Because when great players take hometown discounts, it sets the bar lower for other players to fall in line. Do you see a lot of "sit in the middle" players without deals because of what you're talking about? Nope.

I don't care if he takes a discount well retain him if it costs 12m your logic just makes no sense.

It doesn't get any bar again makes no sense, if Kucherov takes 8.5m and everyone knows he's worth 12 that's going to give the next 12m guy on a different team less leverage? Absolutely not players of that caliber dictate their own terms.

I'd love to see a team use another star players hometown discount in negotiations with their own star players that'd be something.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
How does this make any sense? You know there's a salary cap tight? Please explain how raising salaries to an unmoving cap helps ALL players retain jobs?

What you're suggesting is that star players should get paid more and if you're not a star you can take a bargain deal or we'll replace you with someone who will. Yep that'll pan out for the PA.

I'm well aware of the salary cap. But do you really think people aren't going to look at McDavid and Eichel Deals and demand more for slightly less? Do you not see that star players are getting paid more - even proportionate to the cap, in most instance - than they were before? Sure there are exceptions - Schiefel is signed exceptionally well, for instance. But by and large, players salaries are going up.

I never suggested it was sustainable - and thus why i said until we inevitably have to start over due to a lockout.

Also, it's rather naive to think that the NHLPA cares about all players equally. Let's be honest here.

Reactions: Jared Dunn

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I don't care if he takes a discount well retain him if it costs 12m your logic just makes no sense.

It doesn't get any bar again makes no sense, if Kucherov takes 8.5m and everyone knows he's worth 12 that's going to give the next 12m guy on a different team less leverage? Absolutely not players of that caliber dictate their own terms.

Yeah nobody is getting paid more than McDavid period, that's the bar.

Also this is old, but for your reading pleasure http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...e-nhlpas-fear-hometown-discounts-here-to-stay

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Tampa can move Killorn, say retain 350k and get something for him, they can Also move Johnson and Palat. Callahan is deadweight though.
By the time Kucherov's next contract kicks in, a Cally buyout will be 2.6m for the first season, and 1.3 for the next (saving 3.2 and 4.5 for those two years at a low cash value - Callahan's contract structure makes it weird). 3.2m in savings if Cally is bought out, attached to Kucherov's current deal, gets us to 7.9. He'll likely demand more, but buying Cally out in that last year + cap rising plus other things mean we'll be able to fit Kucherov in. He'll get the Brinks truck backed into him, but we will be able to afford it.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Here's the point you're missing, with a salary cap when one player makes more there's less to go around, simple? Even worse for teams with an internal budget.

That's probably how it should be.

Reactions: LilWayneJetski

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Kuch talks about staying in Tampa and wanting to win so if he takes a discount great! if not pay the man what ever he wants. You don't let elite talent like that go.

I can't be mad either way

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Why did he sign a bridge contract for the last one? Bridge contracts are like 1 or 2 years, dunno why he did 3. In fact even with a bridge contract, I would have thought he'd get closer to 6 M rather than less than 5.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Hmm why doesn't Sidney Crosby have the highest caphit in the league if salaries are based soley on production?

Because he's superstitious as shit and loves his "87" number. Born August 7th, 1987. His first cap hit once he could sign whatever he wants... signs a contract with a cap hit 8.7m. And when he got to sign another deal... it's not a coincidence that his 12 yr 104.4m contract kept that cap hit. And then more importantly, that contract was signed 5 years ago, and his cap hit was determined 10 years ago when he signed his 2nd contract.

Pretty sure when Crosby signed his second contract in 2007, he was at the time the highest paid player. At least until Malkin and then Ovechkin signed their contracts in 2008. And even then he stayed as the 2nd highest paid player until Malkin signed his 3rd contract in 2013 and Subban signed his contract in 2014.

Basically it's taken almost a decade for the rest of the league to catch up to what Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin were earning back in 2007 and 2008. And the only reason they're not still the leagues highest paid players, is because they all signed long term contracts, that have kept their cap hits flat, while everyone else - very slowly I might add, catches up.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Why do people think a potential rocket/ross season would lead to an 8.5 million deal AFTER signing low on a bridge to help the crunch????

Isn’t this a pay me later scenario? Because Tampa fans seem to think that the tax breaks don’t affect the salaries

True, athletes file taxes not only in their home state but also in every state—and some cities—in which they play.

In any case, Kucherov took a massive discount and did a huge favor for TBL, time for them to pay up.

I'm guessing he'll be in the same ballpark as Stamkos and Draisaitl money as he'll probably continue outscoring them again this season. $9M - $10M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad