Kronwalls hit on Kucherov MOD WARNING IN OP (Kronwall suspended for Game 7) - Part II

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Not going to quote post 20 because of how huge it is but looking at it like that makes the NHL look bad. Palat should have got something if youre going to suspend Kronwall. I didnt realize he only skated about 5 feet or so before the hit was made.

He was borderline off his feet (but still on the ice at contact I think) but nothing else was wrong with the hit. Youre allowed to hit the head if you hit the full body, which Kronwall did. He also didnt "lead" with his elbow. His arm is tucked against his body and after impact it goes forward a bit (every player does this).

Suspension for a game 7 for this hit is weak. I really think the only reason it happened is because his helmet came off and made a lot of the white knights on social media freakout. Even a fine to qualify him as a repeat offender if it happens again would have been ok, but a game 7 suspension. The NHL is getting really soft

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate

Real Speed comparisons instead of that silly slow mo gif of Palat hit.

To compare the two hits for violence as if they're similar is just biased. One's a 2 min charging minor at best(Palat) and the other is a 5min Major/1gm suspension.

park rangers

Optimist
Feb 7, 2009
NJ
The Kronwall hit was a textbook no-no. If he wasn't suspended there'd be those who say there's a double standard for player safety in the postseason.

I agree with the 1 game suspension.

I didn't see the Palat hit so if anyone could post a youtube of it, that'd be great.

edit: saw the Palat hit. I just don't see the ferocity in that hit that is comparable to Kronwall's. Palat's hit was certainly illegal but nothing more than a minor for roughing.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Here is the point I have exception with, a lot of people are saying this...

I'm just going to leave the following two pictures here. He skated a total of about 5 feet. Everyone is making it sound like he skated all the way down teh entire ice and lined him up. If you watch the video, at the point in the first picture he is basically at a dead stop changing directions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXRq9YjFhI0&t=8s

7SmddHv.jpg

essj936.jpg

Again, I'm simply posting what happened, if people think that Kronwall lead with his arm out and Palat didn't, they are delusional.

GWlPN4P.jpg

ihRGZ6I.jpg

edit for clarification: I'm OK with this suspension, hits to the head are not OK. But people saying the Palat hit and Kronwall hit are entirely different are crazy.

Palat was lined up to make contact with the body until Glendening hit the brakes and that's when Palat makes contact. Yes, he hit the head and yes, he deserved a penalty.

Kucherov did not change direction and Kronwall had him lined up, jumped into a hit and didn't execute it right. If Kronwall hits Kucherov with his back as is his MO, this discussion probably doesn't exist. His timing was either off or he made some kind of adjustment to Kucherov and ended up with his forearm directly into his grill. It was a dirty hit, intentional or not.

The Palat hit was the product of the person being hit making a last second adjustment in their course. Again, Palat should have received a penalty on that hit, no question. The Kronwall hit was the product of a poorly executed hit. Two different circumstances.

Ten88Nineteen

May 22, 2011
If your takeaway from game 6 was that the league wants the Lightning to win this series, I really don't even know what to say. :laugh:

Personally, I was very surprised to hear this news. Not that the hit wasn't suspension-worthy (it was), it's just that the league has missed so many others this year, including multiple from the regular season series between these same teams (Smith on Namestnikov, Abdelkader on Garrison).

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Do people understand that the Palat hit looks bad because the wings player stopped to avoid it? If the Wings player doesnt try to avoid it its not even in a discussion for a suspension. You can debate if its a penalty but the league is showing when the receiving player puts himself in a bad spot they will not suspend.

Also joke league. for inconsistency in general

Yzlamic Preacher*

Glendening stopped to avoid the hit, if he didn't then it would have been shoulder to shoulder. Aside from that nothing at all. The league suspended Kronwall because they felt there was intent there where as Palat was circumstance. Is it right who knows, but should Palat have got a game? I personally think if they gave Kronwall one, they should have gave Palat one.

Do people understand that the Palat hit looks bad because the wings player stopped to avoid it?

I refer to my post from earlier.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
If your takeaway from game 6 was that the league wants the Lightning to win this series, I really don't even know what to say. :laugh:

Personally, I was very surprised to hear this news. Not that the hit wasn't suspension-worthy (it was), it's just that the league has missed so many others this year, including multiple from the regular season series between these same teams (Smith on Namestnikov, Abdelkader on Garrison).

Funny how unbiased you seem to be.

Evergreen

Here is the point I have exception with, a lot of people are saying this...

I'm just going to leave the following two pictures here. He skated a total of about 5 feet. Everyone is making it sound like he skated all the way down teh entire ice and lined him up. If you watch the video, at the point in the first picture he is basically at a dead stop changing directions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXRq9YjFhI0&t=8s

7SmddHv.jpg

essj936.jpg

Again, I'm simply posting what happened, if people think that Kronwall lead with his arm out and Palat didn't, they are delusional.

GWlPN4P.jpg

ihRGZ6I.jpg

edit for clarification: I'm OK with this suspension, hits to the head are not OK. But people saying the Palat hit and Kronwall hit are entirely different are crazy.
Kronwall's left arm is extended outwards to hit Kucherov in the head (elbow is at a greater angle than 90 degrees). Palat's arm was not extended forward. Not sure how you can't see that.

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
Do people understand that the Palat hit looks bad because the wings player stopped to avoid it?

The fact that the wings player stopped up makes it impossible to call.

What does that have to do with Palat jumping up into the hit....he is going to make head contact into the glass regardless of Glendening's movement there. His head does not change levels.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
How is it any different than what Palat did then? Just curious, not trolling.

If you look closely Glendening stops just prior to getting hit. Changing the angle and placement which Palat was going to hit him. That makes a huge difference with point of impact.

namtaru

Jul 21, 2013
Palat was lined up to make contact with the body until Glendening hit the brakes and that's when Palat makes contact. Yes, he hit the head and yes, he deserved a penalty.

Kucherov did not change direction and Kronwall had him lined up, jumped into a hit and didn't execute it right. If Kronwall hits Kucherov with his back as is his MO, this discussion probably doesn't exist. His timing was either off or he made some kind of adjustment to Kucherov and ended up with his forearm directly into his grill. It was a dirty hit, intentional or not.

The Palat hit was the product of the person being hit making a last second adjustment in their course. Again, Palat should have received a penalty on that hit, no question. The Kronwall hit was the product of a poorly executed hit. Two different circumstances.

[MOD]

Hope everyone enjoys the game tomorrow!

edit, one last pic, I found definitive evidence of Kronwall leaving his feet!

MXSTVAq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HartAU

Mar 28, 2014
He skated a total of about 5 feet. Everyone is making it sound like he skated all the way down teh entire ice and lined him up.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion, I certainly didn't attempt to imply he lined him up from all the way down the ice. I completely agree, he was as good as stationary prior to the hit. But he certainly went out of his way to get as much speed up in the limited space/time he had to get as much impact into the leap as he could. Contrast that to Palat who was gliding in.

I can't buy that they are "the same." Palat has his arm by his side, in direct line between his body and the player he was hitting, and on the same line that he is traveling. Palat's body, arm, and the player he was hitting were all a direct line. He certainly doesn't lead with it in an abnormal manner.

Kronwall on the other hand was skating one way, and moves his arm across to ensure he makes contact. In the pictures you posted, Palat's arm is right by his side, elbow close to body (you picked a still where it's as far away as possible). In the Kronwall picture, his arm is away from his body reaching across the person he is hitting.

But people saying the Palat hit and Kronwall hit are entirely different are crazy.

I wouldn't go as far as "entirely different" but I would suggest that anyone who says they are "the same" is equally crazy.

Palat's is a normal hockey play, albeit with a little bit of skates coming off the ice right before the hit, that didn't have anywhere near the affect (or likely, intent) of Kronwall who left his feet and exploded upward. Palat would likely have made shoulder to shoulder contact had Glendening not stopped up, and the player altering their position is part of what is taken into consideration for Rule 48. Is it a penalty? Yes, I think so. Is it a suspension? I don't think so, but I wouldn't begrudge a game if that's the way it went. But Kronwall's hit was unquestionably worse in my opinion, and if he only gets 1, then Palat getting none is the only option.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Very happy with the suspension. Been a long time coming to Kronwall.

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
If you look closely Glendening stops just prior to getting hit. Changing the angle and placement which Palat was going to hit him. That makes a huge difference with point of impact.

Palat jumps into his hit far worse than Kronwall...the only thing that changes (due to Glendening hitting the breaks) is wether he hits him in the side of the head or the chin/face.

Yzlamic Preacher*

Palat jumps into his hit far worse than Kronwall...the only thing that changes (due to Glendening hitting the breaks) is weather he hits him in the side of the head or the chin/face.

If Glendening keeps moving forward, it would have been shoulder.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
What does that have to do with Palat jumping up into the hit....he is going to make head contact into the glass regardless of Glendening's movement there. His head does not change levels.

I dont feel safe in saying that. You can give Palat a charging call but it wouldnt be suspension worthy if Glendening stay going forward.

You're going to assume that if glendening keeps going forward theres head contact? Thats a slippery slop

I'm sure me, many others and people who decide suspension could feel the same way..theres enough doubt. People are forgetting a committee reviews and decides suspensions and it takes a majority vote

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
I dont feel safe in saying that. You can give Palat a charging call but it wouldnt be suspension worthy if Glendening stay going forward.

You're going to assume that if glendening keeps going forward there no head contact? Thats a slippery slop

That is a fair point...but he still doesn't get a pass for jumping into the hit against a player along the boards, that resulted in significant head contact.

IF this was a one game regular season or hell even earlier in the series, okay. No way does that hit (Kronwall) warrant a Game 7 suspension, given what has been overlooked in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad