Injury Report: Kronwall should return by Wednesday (McLeod Suspended 5 Games - Post 65)

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
In all honesty as much as I hate seeing him out of the lineup I would much rather he be off till next week against vancouver. i do not want to see him come back to soon and take a hit and be out for 20+ games. I can live with seeing our defense suck for the next 4 games for the insurance of making sure he is 100% and healthy. Concussion issues are not to be messed with. And we do not need our #1 d out for 1/4 the year or more.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
In all honesty as much as I hate seeing him out of the lineup I would much rather he be off till next week against vancouver. i do not want to see him come back to soon and take a hit and be out for 20+ games. I can live with seeing our defense suck for the next 4 games for the insurance of making sure he is 100% and healthy. Concussion issues are not to be messed with. And we do not need our #1 d out for 1/4 the year or more.

Do you believe the team doctors are not sure he is 100% healthy if he is cleared to play by Wednesday?

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Do you believe the team doctors are not sure he is 100% healthy if he is cleared to play by Wednesday?

With head injuries nothing is ever truly certain (concussion wise). It is also really early medically in documentation and education about those issues. I am just of the opinion that him missing 4-5 games 100% hands down beats coming back early, taking a strong hit and potentially missing the rest of the season (though more than likely on a re injured it would be around 25-50% of the season).

To me specifically heaton our team cannot risk are #1 d who is actually playing like one this year having a criesby or pronger situation in that they get re injured and miss a whole bunch or end their careers. Granted I will hate missing him for a couple more games but to me the ends justify the means in ensuring nothing gets worse or re injured.

I just air on the side of caution with concussions. I have had 4 myself in my lifetime (between playing in contact sports, getting into a fistfights, as well as one in the military) and imho their is no reason to risk someones thinking cap risking it turning into scrambled eggs more or less when more than likely a few extra games won't matter much.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
With head injuries nothing is ever truly certain (concussion wise). It is also really early medically in documentation and education about those issues. I am just of the opinion that him missing 4-5 games 100% hands down beats coming back early, taking a strong hit and potentially missing the rest of the season (though more than likely on a re injured it would be around 25-50% of the season).

To me specifically heaton our team cannot risk are #1 d who is actually playing like one this year having a criesby or pronger situation in that they get re injured and miss a whole bunch or end their careers. Granted I will hate missing him for a couple more games but to me the ends justify the means in ensuring nothing gets worse or re injured.

I just air on the side of caution with concussions. I have had 4 myself in my lifetime (between playing in contact sports, getting into a fistfights, as well as one in the military) and imho their is no reason to risk someones thinking cap risking it turning into scrambled eggs more or less when more than likely a few extra games won't matter much.

Not trying to be a jerk, but why just 4-5 games? Why not a month?

I guess, I just feel like since the NHL is so strict with these head issues, that when they're cleared, they're cleared. This isn't like Crosby where they thought it was a concussion, but really a neck issue as well.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Not trying to be a jerk, but why just 4-5 games? Why not a month?

I guess, I just feel like since the NHL is so strict with these head issues, that when they're cleared, they're cleared. This isn't like Crosby where they thought it was a concussion, but really a neck issue as well.

From my knowledge and past experiance having them generally speaking symptoms manifest themselves within two weeks of the hit occuring if not immediately. If I remember correctly it was around a week ago he got hit (on last wednesday?) so by the vancouver if it was a serious concussion the symptoms would manifest themselves by then. Key point I am no expert in concussions so I am not saying anything regarding this matter should be taken as a absolute.

Granted your argument to potentially holding him out a month does hold a fair bit of water to it. I just feel a bare minimum 2 weeks should always take priority to ensure symptoms are caught. It would suck to watch our defense fail for a month but it would be far safer to the continued health of Kronner to take a month off. With that being said if symptoms did manifest and or continue I would feel he should be automatically upgraded to a bare minimum month off if not more if he would continue to have residual effects of one.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 1m
Kronwall said he felt good after his first skate since his mild concussion and he hopes to play Wednesday, just like Holland said Sunday.

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
Sweden
Twitter
‏@DetroitRedWings Tweet

"Kronwall took a puck to face this morning; blood in the beard, needs stitches, but still expected to play tonight. He's a warrior. #RedWings"

RedWingsNow*

5 games is ridiculous. The damage wasn't even really because the hit was delivered from behind. McLeod may not have slowed down, but he delivered the hit in a manner so that he didn't crush Kronwall with a direct hit. The hit was delivered sidewalks and it caught Kronwall's head.
This could have just as easily happened if Kronwall's numbers were facing the boards.

The NHL has a real "hit from behind issue" because 95 percent of hitting from behind doesn't generate even a 2 minute penalty, let alone suspension.

Only if something goes wrong -- the guy falls awkwardly, or the hit is off center -- do we see a penalty. And this play will never, ever go away if this is how they police it.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
XO was recalled just a few minutes ago. Khan speculates that maybe Kronwall isn't ready to go.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Glad he was suspended for 5 games, need to start suspending guys for excessive amounts of time to get peoples attention. 2-3 games is nothing in the grand scheme of things especially for guys like McLeod.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 4m
Holland said Kronwall is a game-time decision. He is seeing a dentist due to damage to his teeth. Ouellet recalled as a precaution.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 4m
Holland said Kronwall is a game-time decision. He is seeing a dentist due to damage to his teeth. Ouellet recalled as a precaution.

So somewhere around Lansing XO had to turn around? :laugh:

Weird that they sent him down so fast. Granted, puck to the face isn't exactly expected, but what was the rush?

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
So somewhere around Lansing XO had to turn around? :laugh:

Weird that they sent him down so fast. Granted, puck to the face isn't exactly expected, but what was the rush?

It sounds silly, but it was likely cap management. Back on 2010 the Hawks would bring guys up for a game and immediately send them back to Rockford, then call them back up for the next game.

I can't tell you how, but apparently these daily cap calculations do make a difference and the "penny pinching" starts to make a difference as the season goes on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad