Player Discussion: Kristian Vesalainen [Update: Signed ELC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
IMO if the Jets sign him and bring him to North America, they have to give him a legit opportunity to make the big team and budget accordingly. I don't think ELC status 4 years from now will be a make or break on him making the team. Way too many moving parts and unknowns between then and now. I think the Jets plan on putting the best possible team on the ice this season and take another big run at a cup, and if Vaselainen proves to be a better option than Petan or Dano he will play above them.

I believe when BUF signed Mittelstadt in the spring and let him immediately burn a year off his ELC it was said that it's not such a big consideration and that the teams are much more conscious about the 40 Games limit of Accrued Season which may bring up UFA status (7 Accrued Seasons or 27 of age) sooner.

Patrik has already Accrued two by now, now to think of it, which will affect the contract price.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Thanks for the extra work then..
3) Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
6) Ehlers-Little-Laine
9) Copp-Lowry-Tanev
12) Perreault-Roslovic-(Petan/Dano)

15) Morrissey-Trouba
17) Kulikov-Myers
19) Chiarot-Byfulien
21) Morrow-(Poolman/Niku)*

23-Hellebyuck-Broissoit

Waiver eligible are in italics.

Unless Connor or Roslovic are playing in the AHL (highly unlikely) there's no room for K-Ves without exposable someone else.

The only argument that negates that is the Jets going with a 14-7-2 as opposed to 13-8-2. That places Poolman in the AHL & without doubt negates Niku's ability to make the team.

If the side argument becomes Chiarot/Morrow are expendable, a quick list of the defensive depth in the AHL besides one (both in your scenario) of Niku or Poolman is downright frightening. Jets are no position to be risking any member of the defence to waivers. I wouldn't care risking Chiarot/Morrow if the options after them weren't Stanley, Schilling or Bourque.
Poolman is waiver exempt. Very unlikely the Jets go with 8 defenseman when #8 could be getting top pairing minutes on the Moose. The Jets have always gone with a 14-7-2 roster as do most teams. I see no reason why this isn't continued.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Putting aside aside injury call ups, it's a nice option to be able to have any one of Niku, Poolman, Vaselainen, Lemieux, Appleton up with the big club if their play merits it without having to waive someone.

I wonder if Lippy gets a shot too. The Jets need to groom some penalty killers to replace the ones they lost. Roslovic is surely going to get more reps. I wonder if Connor will as well.

I'd still invite a centre to training camp on PTO, like a Letestu or Stajan. Locker room leaders. Have to earn their keep. I think more competition is better, as guys like Copp, Petan, Dano are not roster locks.

I do like the room, if Niku makes the team, to keep 8d, as I think trading one away reduces the depth from 9 to 8 strong. Nogier is coming off a lost year at 10.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I am sure Vesalanen will be given a fair shake to make the team but wont be handed a job. Chances are he will need AHL seasoning before he is ready to come in and make an impact. I don't see the Jets having him on the roster unless he can hold his own. Given where we are in our arc the Jets wont be using a roster spot for development purposes. If he isn't ready to step right in he will be on the Moose.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I am sure Vesalanen will be given a fair shake to make the team but wont be handed a job. Chances are he will need AHL seasoning before he is ready to come in and make an impact. I don't see the Jets having him on the roster unless he can hold his own. Given where we are in our arc the Jets wont be using a roster spot for development purposes. If he isn't ready to step right in he will be on the Moose.
Fully agree with this. There is one forward spot for the taking. If he earns it he gets it. Though it is very tough in a short camp to differentiate yourself enough so the odds are greater he starts on the Moose.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Poolman is waiver exempt. Very unlikely the Jets go with 8 defenseman when #8 could be getting top pairing minutes on the Moose. The Jets have always gone with a 14-7-2 roster as do most teams. I see no reason why this isn't continued.

I know. That's why I placed him in italics and went out of my way to call attention to the fact I'd done so.

Anyways it's not "very unlikely the Jets go with 8 defensemen". It's certainly debatable when Maurice ia on record as saying that his preference for practice is having even numbers on defence and rotating an extra forward in to line rushes. The Jets haven't "always gone 14-7-2", although it's often ended up that way, mostly due to injuries & lack of defensive depth. Postma, Party, Harrison, Redmond, Melchiori, Ellerby, Kichton were all rather expendable. When the best defensemen of all those mentioned was Clitsome, it speaks volumes about the teams previous defensive depth.

I'll take the coach approved 13-8-2, K-Ves (once he signs) adapting to the smaller surface on the Moose, Petan & Dano on the Jets & one of Niku/Poolman continuing to grow in the AHL getting fist pairing minutes.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Nice to have KV signed.

If he makes the roster, then with all bonuses the Jets would have only $5 million or so in cap space to sign Morrissey. With Petan on the roster they'd have about $5.6m left for Morrissey this year.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Sooo, if Vesalainen plays the whole year with the Jets, we've got. . less than 4 mil in cap space accounting for bonuses, ignoring Morrissey's possible cap hit?

Methinks he's in the AHL.

They would have to drop Chariot and run with 14 forwards. Deopping Petan or Dano wouldn't clear enough space.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Nice to have KV signed.

If he makes the roster, then with all bonuses the Jets would have only $5 million or so in cap space to sign Morrissey. With Petan on the roster they'd have about $5.6m left for Morrissey this year.

Given the Jets want to sign him long term it might give us some idea on what they are looking to spend. I think they are offering around 4.8 million atm but will likely settle around 5.25 to 5.5 which means that they will have to drop the expensive PB guy in Chariot.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I know. That's why I placed him in italics and went out of my way to call attention to the fact I'd done so.

Anyways it's not "very unlikely the Jets go with 8 defensemen". It's certainly debatable when Maurice ia on record as saying that his preference for practice is having even numbers on defence and rotating an extra forward in to line rushes. The Jets haven't "always gone 14-7-2", although it's often ended up that way, mostly due to injuries & lack of defensive depth. Postma, Party, Harrison, Redmond, Melchiori, Ellerby, Kichton were all rather expendable. When the best defensemen of all those mentioned was Clitsome, it speaks volumes about the teams previous defensive depth.

I'll take the coach approved 13-8-2, K-Ves (once he signs) adapting to the smaller surface on the Moose, Petan & Dano on the Jets & one of Niku/Poolman continuing to grow in the AHL getting fist pairing minutes.
Don't see practice ratios playing much of a role. Not a lot of practice time once the season gets going and it is a very rare thing for at least one of the Jets D not to be on a maintenance day. Most teams don't like having their defenseman sit too long and having 2 extra around crowd things especially with 2 young waiver exempt guys needing to play regularly.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Sooo, if Vesalainen plays the whole year with the Jets, we've got. . less than 4 mil in cap space accounting for bonuses, ignoring Morrissey's possible cap hit?

Methinks he's in the AHL.
I dont think there has been much doubts whether he'll be in nhl or ahl. Wouldnt do much good for him to play <10mins a game in nhl on his first year in NA. Maybe he'll get the 9 games but no more than that. ELC years are too valuable for teams in our position

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I dont think there has been much doubts whether he'll be in nhl or ahl. Wouldnt do much good for him to play <10mins a game in nhl on his first year in NA. Maybe he'll get the 9 games but no more than that. ELC years are too valuable for teams in our position

Oh I agree, but beyond a developmental thought process it looks even less likely due to financial reasons on top of it.

Play him in the AHL, top minutes, just like Roslovic. The extra year of cheap Roslovic will be huge, as it will with Ves.

Reactions: DoingItCoolKiwi

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
he really doesn't have much competition for an nhl spot on the 4th line with roslovic and Perreault if we're being honest. think he makes the team easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad