Player Discussion: Kristian Vesalainen [Update: Signed ELC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
ves has said he likes to play the left wing and laine can play the right side. need a playmaking defensivley responsible center and we got a sick line oh ya shieffele :)
Scheifele is a cycle game beast. Unless Vesalainen and Laine have mastered this part of their offensive game over the summer, once again Scheif will make it known to his coach his strong preference is to play with Wheeler who also has mastered this type of game and takes on the banging along the boards. Connor excelled with these 2 also being quick on the puck and learning to cycle with them. IMO at least while Vaselainen is very talented he is a far way off as a 19 y/o to take on this type of usage against the other teams top lines and D pairings.

Reactions: 204hockey

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Scheifele is a cycle game beast. Unless Vesalainen and Laine have mastered this part of their offensive game over the summer, once again Scheif will make it known to his coach his strong preference is to play with Wheeler who also has mastered this type of game and takes on the banging along the boards. Connor excelled with these 2 also being quick on the puck and learning to cycle with them. IMO at least while Vaselainen is very talented he is a far way off as a 19 y/o to take on this type of usage against the other teams top lines and D pairings.
ves is actually good on the boards and plays a grinding style. only person that doesnt wld be laine on that line. but im sure ves wont just step into the nhl and be a beast so this might be something in coming years

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
ves has said he likes to play the left wing and laine can play the right side. need a playmaking defensivley responsible center and we got a sick line oh ya shieffele :)

Yeah Laine can play RW indeed but that's not where I see him in the coming years. His shot alone is too good to be half wasted on the right side and that's why I'm hoping Vesalainen could turn into RW. It would be kind of neat if two Finns formed one of the deadliest lines in the world at some point but at this moment the idea is not much more than loose imagination. :)

I do hope he becomes as good as one could expect based on the D+1 season though. Nonetheless right now all I can say is at least the tools are there, but only time will tell how well they translate into smaller rink/NHL.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I hope that means this coming season we see Laine and Ehlers back on their preferred wings.

I hope it doesn't. The conventional way is the conventional way for good reason. Both have successfully completed the transition. Why would they revert to doing it the wrong way unless there was a compelling reason to do so? Which there is not.

What makes you think they still prefer doing it the wrong way? Have they complained about it? Recently?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I hope it doesn't. The conventional way is the conventional way for good reason. Both have successfully completed the transition. Why would they revert to doing it the wrong way unless there was a compelling reason to do so? Which there is not.

What makes you think they still prefer doing it the wrong way? Have they complained about it? Recently?

I was responding to this...

Our coach doesn't have a penchant for switching sides for wingers. He plays them on their conventional sides for at least their first year or two before swapping them.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I was responding to this...

Yes, I know.

Maurice seems to be willing to switch them after they have a year or two of NHL experience but it still isn't desirable. It is a valuable option to have when needed. We could end up with an unbalanced roster, or injuries might force a temporary swap.

The fact they played their off sides as children shouldn't be that important now as professional adults.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Yes, I know.

Maurice seems to be willing to switch them after they have a year or two of NHL experience but it still isn't desirable. It is a valuable option to have when needed. We could end up with an unbalanced roster, or injuries might force a temporary swap.

The fact they played their off sides as children shouldn't be that important now as professional adults.

Fair enough.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah Laine can play RW indeed but that's not where I see him in the coming years. His shot alone is too good to be half wasted on the right side and that's why I'm hoping Vesalainen could turn into RW. It would be kind of neat if two Finns formed one of the deadliest lines in the world at some point but at this moment the idea is not much more than loose imagination. :)

I do hope he becomes as good as one could expect based on the D+1 season though. Nonetheless right now all I can say is at least the tools are there, but only time will tell how well they translate into smaller rink/NHL.

If you've paid attention you would know that Laine and Ehlers very often cross over in the O zone. They shoot from the opposite sides they line up on. The entire concept of needing to line up bass-ackwards in order to take full advantage of their shots is a myth. A complete myth. The way they have been doing it is working very well. There is no reason to expect an improvement from handicapping them in passing and D zone play.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
If you've paid attention you would know that Laine and Ehlers very often cross over in the O zone. They shoot from the opposite sides they line up on. The entire concept of needing to line up bass-ackwards in order to take full advantage of their shots is a myth. A complete myth. The way they have been doing it is working very well. There is no reason to expect an improvement from handicapping them in passing and D zone play.

Sure they often cross-over in the offensive zone but there's a lot more to it. I'd assume every Laine/Jets fan knows the line's offensive strategy, which starts from Laine receiving the puck on the low right wall, then carries it out of the defensive zone where his part ends usually by executing hard tape-to-tape pass for Ehlers in order to break the offensive blue line (which by the way significantly boosted Ehler's successful entry zone stats). This is pretty much the only advantage Laine gets from playing on the right wing. However Laine is excellent passer and I doubt it would be much harder for him to get the puck moving from the the opposing wall. Also if you've paid attention, he is absolutely terrific at making hard backhand passes. Of course it's a bit more difficult when you're on a high speed than in a powerplay for instance. Still, I don't think he would have trouble making the outlet from the left side. Also, this is assuming that Ehlers and Laine would even stay as line mates moving forward. Should we look at the other benefits, well there aren't many. He dekes much, much better from his natural wing than from the right wing (which often even seems kind of clumsy), not to mention being far better at driving to the net, which I'd assume he will be doing a lot more in his prime. The bottom line is that Laine belongs in the LW where he is most effective.

Anyway I was discussing the possible Laine & Vesalainen combo and in that scenario Ehlers would be the odd man out. By the time Vesalainen is ready Laine should be far more complete player, with many ways/tools to break in to the offensive zone and who knows what the game plan will even be when that happens.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sure they often cross-over in the offensive zone but there's a lot more to it. I'd assume every Laine/Jets fan knows the line's offensive strategy, which starts from Laine receiving the puck on the low right wall, then carries it out of the defensive zone where his part ends usually by executing hard tape-to-tape pass for Ehlers in order to break the offensive blue line (which by the way significantly boosted Ehler's successful entry zone stats). This is pretty much the only advantage Laine gets from playing on the right wing. However Laine is excellent passer and I doubt it would be much harder for him to get the puck moving from the the opposing wall. Also if you've paid attention, he is absolutely terrific at making hard backhand passes. Of course it's a bit more difficult when you're on a high speed than in a powerplay for instance. Still, I don't think he would have trouble making the outlet from the left side. Also, this is assuming that Ehlers and Laine would even stay as line mates moving forward. Should we look at the other benefits, well there aren't many. He dekes much, much better from his natural wing than from the right wing (which often even seems kind of clumsy), not to mention being far better at driving to the net, which I'd assume he will be doing a lot more in his prime. The bottom line is that Laine belongs in the LW where he is most effective.

Anyway I was discussing the possible Laine & Vesalainen combo and in that scenario Ehlers would be the odd man out. By the time Vesalainen is ready Laine should be far more complete player, with many ways/tools to break in to the offensive zone and who knows what the game plan will even be when that happens.

Since Vesalainen is a LW and Laine is a RW I don't see where there is a problem playing them together when the time comes.

I will be surprised if KV can displace either Ehlers or Connor. We'll see.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Since Vesalainen is a LW and Laine is a RW I don't see where there is a problem playing them together when the time comes.

I will be surprised if KV can displace either Ehlers or Connor. We'll see.

Laine is LW (two seasons playing off-wing doesn't convert natural position one has played throughout the career up until NHL) and Vesalainen is also LW so it may not happen, but like you said we'll have to see.

Reactions: Ippenator

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Laine is LW (two seasons playing off-wing doesn't convert natural position one has played throughout the career up until NHL) and Vesalainen is also LW so it may not happen, but like you said we'll have to see.

Except that his natural position is RW. All that time on LW he was playing his off wing.

Playing left shot on right side and right shot on left side seems to be a European thing. Do European coaches let 8 year olds play whatever side they choose and subsequent coaches just continue it? Serious question. Or are the coaches at higher levels doing it deliberately?

It has some advantage but puts far too much of the play on a players backhand, IMO. Even in the O zone, which is where there might be an advantage, the wingers often cross over, losing that advantage. It is just wrong, IMO.

A few years ago a Capitals coach tried to switch Ovechkin to his natural side. It didn't go well and that coach didn't last long, IIRC (not necessarily connected). But that was done after Ovi had already played several years in the NHL and established himself as an elite goal scorer. It was forced on Ovi too late in his career and he didn't cooperate.

In the cases of Laine and Ehlers, it was done as soon as they started playing pro. They appear to have cooperated fully. They also appear to have completed the transition successfully so there is no longer any reason to expect, or want them to switch to their off sides.

Dano is another case. He has not switched successfully. Whether he has been less than fully cooperative or not, I don't know. But regardless of why he has been unsuccessful, the fact remains that he has not succeeded. It would just be stubborn of a coach to continue to insist that Dano play the left side to the point of destroying his career. Of course, if Dano is not giving it his best effort, that is also stubborn .... and foolish.

Assuming Ehlers and Laine stay on their current sides, Jets have the luxury of a couple of top 6 wingers with considerable experience playing their off sides. They can be switched over on short notice any time it may be needed. For instance, if injuries create a need.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The whole thing about Vesalainen not making the team due to the org. wanting his contract to slide is not accurate. Chevy has said in an interview (don't have the link sorry) that Vesalainen will be given every opportunity to make the team in training camp this year. I take that at full face value. Sure, the team would love to have it slide in the event of an expansion happening in 21 or later but they're not banking on that. What they are banking on is winning a cup and they will ice the best roster they can. If that means Vesalainens in there because he's better then the other internal options they'll do it and either trade dano or petan or waive them. The thing they actually ARE worried about with Vesalainen and the reason I think the contract is being held up is because of exactly what someone else said...if he gets normal 1st round bonus he could earn a potential of 3.7M and THAT's what the Jets can't afford. Fitting him under the CAP this year would be ok but likely means Niku is in the AHL due to circumstance but it's next year where the 3.7M in bonus money will hurt the Jets in being able to retain Wheeler.

edit: If Morrisey gets long term deal anything above 5M then the Jets actually can't afford ANY bonus money for Vesalainen. With Niku in the AHL due to circumstance (though he should be on the Jets imo) Jets would need to shed 2M in CAP space to accomodate Vesalainen with potential bonus (again if they're max bonus and he hits them)
You may be right, but do you really think Chevy would say something different? "Uh yeah, uh, you know, we are going to keep Vesy down to save a year of his contract, save some money" :laugh:

Reactions: Scheifelaine

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Except that his natural position is RW. All that time on LW he was playing his off wing.

Playing left shot on right side and right shot on left side seems to be a European thing. Do European coaches let 8 year olds play whatever side they choose and subsequent coaches just continue it? Serious question. Or are the coaches at higher levels doing it deliberately?

It has some advantage but puts far too much of the play on a players backhand, IMO. Even in the O zone, which is where there might be an advantage, the wingers often cross over, losing that advantage. It is just wrong, IMO.

A few years ago a Capitals coach tried to switch Ovechkin to his natural side. It didn't go well and that coach didn't last long, IIRC (not necessarily connected). But that was done after Ovi had already played several years in the NHL and established himself as an elite goal scorer. It was forced on Ovi too late in his career and he didn't cooperate.

In the cases of Laine and Ehlers, it was done as soon as they started playing pro. They appear to have cooperated fully. They also appear to have completed the transition successfully so there is no longer any reason to expect, or want them to switch to their off sides.

Dano is another case. He has not switched successfully. Whether he has been less than fully cooperative or not, I don't know. But regardless of why he has been unsuccessful, the fact remains that he has not succeeded. It would just be stubborn of a coach to continue to insist that Dano play the left side to the point of destroying his career. Of course, if Dano is not giving it his best effort, that is also stubborn .... and foolish.

Assuming Ehlers and Laine stay on their current sides, Jets have the luxury of a couple of top 6 wingers with considerable experience playing their off sides. They can be switched over on short notice any time it may be needed. For instance, if injuries create a need.

Incorrect. Laine himself has said that his natural position is LW cause he feels at his best and most comfortable there.

I think the players themselves are more aware of their own strengths and weaknesses than any random poster here. He has been playing RW for the two past seasons now. Not because he wanted to, but because he was made to. As I already explained before you can quite visibly see how much better he is on the left wing and how his dekes, moves and offensive game play at it's entirety is more fluid and dynamic. This coming from someone who has been carefully watching and observing him for the past 5 years in domestic leagues, international games and in the NHL during which he has played both LW/RW. Maurice is Maurice, he does what he's told to do and plays these "kids" as he pleases, but as the time goes by he can't hold them at their off-wings forever like we saw in Trouba's case. If someone thinks Laine can be kept on his off-wing when he's reached "veteran" status, he/she is gravely mistaken. No franchise would try alienate a player like him. In the coming years you will see him back on the left wing and you will also see a 6"5 beast forcing his path and breaking to the net, and believe me he's going to be hard to stop with that reach, size and skill.

I seriously doubt the coaches here and there are that much different. Perhaps the hockey culture isn't quite the same. There's real some rotation with the actual peewees (5-9 yo) where they play both defence and forward. Yet as the time passes the coaches are more aware of their strengths/weaknesses and while I'm certain some kids get assigned to certain roles but still it's not like they don't have a voice. Nowadays the people who are in charge of coaching are handpicking the future "stars" even at ages of 10-11 and these kids get special focus where the organization systematically starts pushing them forward and assigns them to play in the older age classes if they are ready. Tailored plans for the future are made, they get special treatment, more ice time and have less things to worry about. The Finnish hockey federation has been more and more focusing on the talent and there's much better system in place now for the youngsters to develop than a over decade ago. During the dark decade(s) the name of the game (or program) was "Meidän peli", where everything was equally divided and there were was far less cherry picking. Times look so much brighter now and you can see how much talent the country is producing today. It's almost staggering compared to the old days. Anyway, today of course the most talented youngsters have more playground in regards to what role they choose and that's a good thing.

I don't think the Ovy situation has much to do with what's happening with Laine. One player is 32 and the other is 20. The latter is still a project and developing where the former a bonafided HOF'er. There can be variety of reasons they didn't move him on the natural wing last year or just one or two, we may never know.

Laine and Ehlers are both shoot first type of players and while they both have bright futures ahead of them, I don't think they are a great match mostly because of their playing styles. Laine needs a playmaker much more than he needs a shooter. As much as they enjoy each other's company I don't think that chemistry really reflects that well in the rink as we just witnessed during the playoffs.

As for Dano I'm really having doubts of seeing him end up a full time NHL'er. I don't know how much better he can get but the clock is ticking. Might be better for him to get traded for another team due the depth on the wings here. He's been forced to play LW as opposed to RW? If so I didn't even know.

I think either Laine plays LW if not as soon as the coming season, then at the latest 19-20, assuming he signs the contract of course. Of course he will need some games to fully adjust after playing majority of the past years on the off-wing. Nonetheless I'm still drooling for the L - x - V, although I get it may never happen. Would be the first time in a long time there was two Finns in one of the top lines in the league. Anyway, I think we have derailed a bit here so if you have anything on the mind, just quote me in the roster or Laine thread instead.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Incorrect. Laine himself has said that his natural position is LW cause he feels at his best and most comfortable there.

I think the players themselves are more aware of their own strengths and weaknesses than any random poster here. He has been playing RW for the two past seasons now. Not because he wanted to, but because he was made to. As I already explained before you can quite visibly see how much better he is on the left wing and how his dekes, moves and offensive game play at it's entirety is more fluid and dynamic. This coming from someone who has been carefully watching and observing him for the past 5 years in domestic leagues, international games and in the NHL during which he has played both LW/RW. Maurice is Maurice, he does what he's told to do and plays these "kids" as he pleases, but as the time goes by he can't hold them at their off-wings forever like we saw in Trouba's case. If someone thinks Laine can be kept on his off-wing when he's reached "veteran" status, he/she is gravely mistaken. No franchise would try alienate a player like him. In the coming years you will see him back on the left wing and you will also see a 6"5 beast forcing his path and breaking to the net, and believe me he's going to be hard to stop with that reach, size and skill.

I seriously doubt the coaches here and there are that much different. Perhaps the hockey culture isn't quite the same. There's real some rotation with the actual peewees (5-9 yo) where they play both defence and forward. Yet as the time passes the coaches are more aware of their strengths/weaknesses and while I'm certain some kids get assigned to certain roles but still it's not like they don't have a voice. Nowadays the people who are in charge of coaching are handpicking the future "stars" even at ages of 10-11 and these kids get special focus where the organization systematically starts pushing them forward and assigns them to play in the older age classes if they are ready. Tailored plans for the future are made, they get special treatment, more ice time and have less things to worry about. The Finnish hockey federation has been more and more focusing on the talent and there's much better system in place now for the youngsters to develop than a over decade ago. During the dark decade(s) the name of the game (or program) was "Meidän peli", where everything was equally divided and there were was far less cherry picking. Times look so much brighter now and you can see how much talent the country is producing today. It's almost staggering compared to the old days. Anyway, today of course the most talented youngsters have more playground in regards to what role they choose and that's a good thing.

I don't think the Ovy situation has much to do with what's happening with Laine. One player is 32 and the other is 20. The latter is still a project and developing where the former a bonafided HOF'er. There can be variety of reasons they didn't move him on the natural wing last year or just one or two, we may never know.

Laine and Ehlers are both shoot first type of players and while they both have bright futures ahead of them, I don't think they are a great match mostly because of their playing styles. Laine needs a playmaker much more than he needs a shooter. As much as they enjoy each other's company I don't think that chemistry really reflects that well in the rink as we just witnessed during the playoffs.

As for Dano I'm really having doubts of seeing him end up a full time NHL'er. I don't know how much better he can get but the clock is ticking. Might be better for him to get traded for another team due the depth on the wings here. He's been forced to play LW as opposed to RW? If so I didn't even know.

I think either Laine plays LW if not as soon as the coming season, then at the latest 19-20, assuming he signs the contract of course. Of course he will need some games to fully adjust after playing majority of the past years on the off-wing. Nonetheless I'm still drooling for the L - x - V, although I get it may never happen. Would be the first time in a long time there was two Finns in one of the top lines in the league. Anyway, I think we have derailed a bit here so if you have anything on the mind, just quote me in the roster or Laine thread instead.

Sorry, I'm using natural side and off side in the conventional way. AFAIK it is not a matter of choice. He should have been forced to do it right from childhood. Now it is being corrected. :sarcasm::)

His offense may be better lining up on the wrong side but his defense is worse. That isn't exactly his strong suit as it is.

If he continues to prefer the wrong side he may be allowed to move to LW eventually. But his value is greater on the right side since LW are much easier to find than RW.

Trouba was asking to not be played on his wrong side so it is not a valid analogy.

Coaches here and there are that much different. It is only in Europe where LHS play RW and RHS play LW routinely. In NA it happens rarely, usually with a versatile player who handles both sides well.

To get back on topic, Vesalainen is a Finnish player who plays on his correct side. Why would anybody think of moving him over? If he plays with Laine it just makes Laine at RW all the more likely.

I agree that Ehlers and Laine don't fit well on ice. I wouldn't put it the way you did but I can't argue with that assessment too much. Ehlers is a playmaker at least as much as a shooter but his game is speed and creativity. Laine's is more power and North/South. I think Connor is more North/South and good on the forecheck. I think he will fit better with Little and Laine than Ehlers has. Unproven theory, maybe we'll see in TC.

Do you think Vesalainen will be the right match for Little and Laine? With only seeing highlight reels he looks to me to be more like Laine, a shooter.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
What is happening with Vesalainen? I was hoping he would sign with the Jets by now. Is he planning on staying in Europe for an extra year?

Edit: Nevermind. I see this has already been addressed.

Last edited:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Sorry, I'm using natural side and off side in the conventional way. AFAIK it is not a matter of choice. He should have been forced to do it right from childhood. Now it is being corrected. :sarcasm::)

His offense may be better lining up on the wrong side but his defense is worse. That isn't exactly his strong suit as it is.

If he continues to prefer the wrong side he may be allowed to move to LW eventually. But his value is greater on the right side since LW are much easier to find than RW.

Trouba was asking to not be played on his wrong side so it is not a valid analogy.

Coaches here and there are that much different. It is only in Europe where LHS play RW and RHS play LW routinely. In NA it happens rarely, usually with a versatile player who handles both sides well.

To get back on topic, Vesalainen is a Finnish player who plays on his correct side. Why would anybody think of moving him over? If he plays with Laine it just makes Laine at RW all the more likely.

I agree that Ehlers and Laine don't fit well on ice. I wouldn't put it the way you did but I can't argue with that assessment too much. Ehlers is a playmaker at least as much as a shooter but his game is speed and creativity. Laine's is more power and North/South. I think Connor is more North/South and good on the forecheck. I think he will fit better with Little and Laine than Ehlers has. Unproven theory, maybe we'll see in TC.

Do you think Vesalainen will be the right match for Little and Laine? With only seeing highlight reels he looks to me to be more like Laine, a shooter.

AFAIK no one should be forced to do anything. Not in sports, let alone real life. To me this entire comment seems strange, but I guess each to their own. It's not really even a matter of viewers perception but players' themselves since as I stated, they know where their strengths lie better than anyone. And yes, I'm sure the team will respect his wishes if they intend to keep him happy. I get that you think he is better at RW and while I disagree, that by all means is fine.

Yeah Trouba did actually ask where Laine has just humbly succumbed to pretty much everything they've asked of him without complaints (as far as I know anyway). However I do think he will eventually stop letting other people making decisions for him as he grows older. He's a very smart kid and making a buzz out of something with his age and experience isn't necessarily the best strategy moving forward.

Yup, I suppose there is difference and the most promising players here actually have more influence in regards to what their roles and assignments should be. If they are unhappy, another team can offer a "better" package and prey them from the parent club. This actually did happen with Laine as he used to belong to Ilves, who I think refused to let him play against older age class and that's when Tappara representatives intervened and grabbed him (there could be more to the story but this is how I remember it).

I don't think there is such thing as correct side. It's like a description you used earlier, a myth. Some wingers play better at certain side and some can do almost just as well on either side. Vesalainen is LW and if that's what he prefers the most and if he doesn't possess the versatility, then that's where he should be kept.

We seem to be on the same page about Laine and Ehlers at least, although with partially different reasons. This is why I brought the PL-x-KV idea on the table at the begin with - even if it's at this point nothing more than a fantasy. Although who really knows what will happen in the long run. Laine might end up playing with Scheifele or perhaps Ehlers will, and Laine finds chemistry with another player and the team adapts a 1a & 1b type of a setup. Everything looks to be open at the moment.

"Unfortunately" Vesalainen is shoot first winger, so the odds may not be that good in regards to the question. Yet, I would say it's too early to tell since sometimes players just hit off without any particular reason and compliment each other extremely well. Scheifele for instance is grade A shooter and he pretty much instantly found a groove with Laine where they just elevated each others' games. They just seemed to think the game the same way and that's what made them so lethal. The same thing could happen with Vesalainen but likely to lesser extent, I certainly would hope so. I've learned to appreciate his talents by watching half of his FEL games last year and I think his game should translate to NHL with ease. Naturally he'll need some time to adjust. A big kid who's very good shooter, protecting the puck and isn't a bad skater at all, should have the tools to play in the big league. I think his hockey IQ isn't as bad as some initially thought prior to the draft, nor did he look like he had tunnel vision as some proclaimed before last season. One thing I would like more (from all the kids) is learning how to play and handle the puck with keeping the head up. The best players have this ability and last season as I watched a lot of Canes games, Aho looked like he was one or two steps ahead of the game at all times because he rarely looked down.

Anyway, such a great pick. Jets once again lucked out in the draft and didn't even have to win a lottery to do that.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
Reactions: heilongjetsfan

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

Are Kovy and Ovie kids or professional adults? That's a rethorical question. Also is FEL a league for kids? That's another rethorical question.

There is a reason why those two top shooters prefer to play their natural LW position. There is at least equal case for Laine to play as LW too.

Vesalainen, OTOH is different, at least that is what I think. So it's not crucial for him to play RW.

Reactions: Ippenator

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Are Kovy and Ovie kids or professional adults? That's a rethorical question. Also is FEL a league for kids? That's another rethorical question.

There is a reason why those two top shooters prefer to play their natural LW position. There is at least equal case for Laine to play as LW too.

Vesalainen, OTOH is different, at least that is what I think. So it's not crucial for him to play RW.
I myself am an amateur adult. I still hope to make the pro ranks of adulthood, but it's a long climb up the depth chart and the seasons are sneaking by faster and faster

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You are misusing the word 'natural'. You should say habitual. A LHS winger's 'natural' side is LW. Playing your off side for 15 years does not make it 'natural'.

It isn't just Kovy and Ovi. It is many Europeans, maybe most. Are European coaches doing this deliberately or are they just allowing it to happen, willy-nilly? Either way it is just plain wrong - IMO. Maurice is doing the right thing by correcting this early in their pro careers. Once they are established stars it becomes more difficult to correct them. Too bad it wasn't done much earlier.

Too much is being made of this issue, far too much. It isn't uncommon for players to switch sides as roster makeup requires it. There are far more LHS players than RHS so it often is necessary for some LHS players to play the right side. For the same reason it should be very uncommon for a RHS to play the left side. I think it is very valuable to have players who are comfortable on either side. Injuries frequently create a need for a player to move over. It also allows more flexibility in finding players who mesh with each other.

Vesalainen is different because he usually plays his 'natural', left side. RW isn't just "not crucial", it shouldn't even be considered at this point. Why does anyone even bring it up? He is a LHS playing LW, as he should.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
@Mortimer Snerd I used word "natural" in purpose. You insist that it's natural that forwads play their "North American on side", but that has nothing to do with it being natural. It's just habitual in North America, not necessarily a good thing.

I guess both North American and European people agree that it's good for D-men to play the side their stick is (though there are exceptions for the rule), unless they are on PP, where that can be reversed as you simply cannot shoot one-timer from your "NA-natural" side.

Also Laine cannot shoot one-timer from his "NA-natural" side, but Laine, Kovy and Ovy are pretty awesome shooting those one-timers from the LW side which they find natural for them.

As said, it's more complicated for Vesalainen, so I think this discussion is way off topic in this thread.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Man, I wish we had actual news on K.Ves' contract situation. Has yet to sign his ELC, and has yet to sign an extension/new contract in the Liiga/KHL/wherever. The _only_ thing that makes sense is they're waiting until closer to Young Stars Tourney and TC, when he's actually in town, to sign a contract.

Reactions: mazmin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad