Confirmed with Link: Kris Versteeg Signs PTO With Oilers

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Well if someone was going to offer you 1 million dollars for 1 year of work... and you had your choice of locations... would you choose Edmonton over Tampa Bay?

I think most people would choose a location that is sunnier with more to see and do in their off time than a snowy/cold/isolated city.

That depends, have I already made tens of millions of dollars like he has or not? If so I'd go wherever I felt would be best to increase future earning potential.

If not, then I'd go wherever the place with the best cost of living and taxes would be so that I'd keep as much of that money as I could.

If a 32 year old James Wisniewski is trying to salvage his NHL career, I would hope he's not thinking about his tan. He should be thinking about
a) Making sure he can get that 1 million contract this year by going to a place with legit opportunity for him to show he still belongs
b) putting himself in a position where he can turn that 1 million, 1 year deal into a multi-million, multi-year deal in 2017.

And if he's not thinking about 2017, then maybe he should be thinking about going out in style with a Cup.

That said, Tampa's a good spot for either of those options. But if he's making beach-related decisions right now, then it's not going to work out for him.

Yup. For me I'd be looking at earning a multi year deal unless I felt that I only had one last season left in my body because of injuries.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Tampa like Edmonton has a lot of fire power. But I don't see much room for him there as they will be lucky to get in under the cap once they sign Kucherov.

I think he'd get some sweet time on the PP there. They might be eyeing him for their 2nd unit. Do they have much in the way of RHD after Sustr and Stralman?

Plus, who knows what Stevie Y has planned.

It's a pretty good spot. He'll get sweet minutes, surrounded by talent and won't be asked to do much but what he's good at.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
My prediction... Versteeg is going to be a VERY good addition for the Oilers.

Even BOLDER prediction...

I think with his experience and versatility he is EASILY going to be one of the most productive and useful assets on this team and by the end of this season he will be considered the #1 new acquisition that the Oilers made this off-season.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I think with his experience and versatility he is EASILY going to be one of the most productive and useful assets on this team and by the end of this season he will be considered the #1 new acquisition that the Oilers made this off-season.

But Looch and Larsson :(

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014

Oh god that would be awful.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Well I'm certainly not saying Lucic and Larsson are going to be garbage. :)

I'm just saying we are going to be more than pleased with Versteeg and his versatility to play pretty much anywhere in the lineup in any situation will really highlight how good of an addition he was this summer.

It's a somewhat contrarian view... but I think Lucic and Larsson will comes as advertised and play well... but Versteeg will be even more impressive because I think he's going to end up being much better than filler on the bottom lines. My guess is he'll end up being be the #3 point producer behind McDavid and Draisaitl.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I'm just saying we are going to be more than pleased with Versteeg and his versatility to play pretty much anywhere in the lineup in any situation will really highlight how good of an addition he was this summer.

It's a somewhat contrarian view... but I think Lucic and Larsson will comes as advertised and play well... but Versteeg will be even more impressive because I think he's going to end up being much better than filler on the bottom lines. My guess is he'll end up being be the #3 point producer behind McDavid and Draisaitl.

I could see him being a quality piece that moves up and down the top 9, but I really doubt he finishes 3rd in points. I have a hard time seeing him ahead of any of McDavid, RNH, or Draisaitl (especially if they play like they have in the world cup) and I seriously doubt that he outscores Eberle or Lucic either. Versteeg definitely isn't the player he used to be, but he's still a quality player. A better version of Teddy Purcell is what I expect, which is still pretty damn good considering that he's not even guaranteed a full-time job in the lineup if Yak and Pulju show up ready to make some noise.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

I seriously doubt he out produces Nuge, Eberle, Lucic or even Pouliot.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Yeah I would pump the brakes a bit. He will be a nice 35 pt utility guy, and provide a positive impact, but not over Lucic/Larsson.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

My guess is that your guess is WRONG! :naughty:

If that's the case then chances are that we'll have a ton of injuries up front. If everyone is relatively healthy I don't see how he outscores Eberle, RNH or Lucic this season up front, possibly Puljujarvi as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad