Confirmed with Link: Kris Versteeg Signs PTO With Oilers

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Thanks V. I like these all around use em where you need em players. Haven't had much besides a notable Hendo but more in a bottom six role. Having someone in the top 9 seems like a **** load of competition now in the bottom 6 with Maroon, Yak, Versteeg, Puli etc...I missed a few more there obviously.

Looking like a move to bump people up, down or out. It woul d be in someone like Yak's best interest to make a statement here. Sure hope he can but I won't hold my breath on it. Also others that were 2 and 3 liners the last little while may move down etc. It'll be interesting how this all of a sudden pretty deep bottom 6 or so plays out.

I know I'm stating the obvious here and it's been discussed, but that's my version of the Coles notes.

Yeah I hope Yak can finally get it together and I really actually hope that Puljujarvi blows the doors off camp and sticks because his skill set is greatly needed (actually both of their skill sets are needed, we really need some guys out there that can fire the puck and especially one-time it. We have a ton of great playmakers, but not a ton of great shooters). Versteeg is definitely a safety blanket if those 2 falter, but I could see him being signed anyways even if its just to play 40-50 games to add depth. I'm sure even if he was an extra forward that he would still get into a bunch of games when injuries occur to wingers in the top 9. The best thing about him is that he plays both wings so there would be about 6 positions he could fill in the lineup in a pinch if a winger in our top 9 gets injured. Thats why I've been saying that I hope he signs even if he gets beat out by Yak and Puljujarvi because as much as I like Pakarinen as an extra forward I'd much rather prefer Versteeg filling in the top 9 during injuries than him, and realistically you could have both of those 2 as extra forwards and run with 1 extra D on the 23 man roster and Pak would be your 4th line revolving door and Versteeg would be your top 9 revolving door.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
This is great news, and exactly the sort of thing this team needs to do. Value veterans (who at least aren't obviously washed up) who can play throughout the lineup and will make the kids fight for spots. Players with good reputations, versatility, and lots of experience.

Now, why couldn't they do it with Wisniewski too?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This is great news, and exactly the sort of thing this team needs to do. Value veterans (who at least aren't obviously washed up) who can play throughout the lineup and will make the kids fight for spots. Players with good reputations, versatility, and lots of experience.

Completely agree.

Now, why couldn't they do it with Wisniewski too?

Its tough to know for sure if they did in fact reach out to him about a PTO.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Have to be happy with Lucic + Veesteeg alone, adding over 200 playoff games together and 3 rings. We needed veterans.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Completely agree.

When we hear that ~10 teams contacted Versteeg about a PTO, it's not hard to imagine a situation where Wisniewski also received a call from Edmonton and just chose to go with a better team in Tampa.

Even if they aren't guaranteed a contract, these guys still have some choice where they end up.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
When we hear that ~10 teams contacted Versteeg about a PTO, it's not hard to imagine a situation where Wisniewski also received a call from Edmonton and just chose to go with a better team in Tampa.

Even if they aren't guaranteed a contract, these guys still have some choice where they end up.

Oh for sure. The player ultimately decides where he wants to go.

Cant blame Wiz at all for choosing Tampa over Edmonton if in fact the Oilers did offer a tryout.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Completely agree.

No reason why the Oilers couldn't still sign Wisniewski. TB is going to be tight up against the cap and might not have room for him anyways.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No reason why the Oilers couldn't still sign Wisniewski. TB is going to be tight up against the cap and might not have room for him anyways.

How many players sign a PTO with one team and end up somewhere else?
If Wiz really wanted a chance to crack an NHL roster then there would be no better opportunity than Edmonton.
Its telling that he ended up in Tampa.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
How many players sign a PTO with one team and end up somewhere else?
If Wiz really wanted a chance to crack an NHL roster then there would be no better opportunity than Edmonton.
Its telling that he ended up in Tampa.

Well maybe Coburn will waive his ntc and Chiarelli can make a deal for him if Yzerman wants to keep Wisniewski.
:handclap:
Maybe Stralman instead he's a RH shot Coburn isn't. He'll cost us more though.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB

Yeah, I was for getting Wisniewski in the fold via contract. It's a good point that the Oilers may have offered him a PTO and he just went with another option. A guaranteed contract (subject to a medical) probably would have been more successful.

At a million or so x 1 year, he was probably worth it. Easy to bury if necessary, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't come back as at least a somewhat effective NHL player. It was a freak injury. He has a pretty checkered injury history, but it seemed like a bet that wouldn't hurt the team if it didn't pan out. I can't imagine he'll sign for much more than that even if he dazzles in training camp.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
If Wisniewski is going to settle for a fairly low salary which is pretty much a given considering he's on a PTO... then he might as well play in a city that is better in terms of climate/location and other off-ice factors. I doubt salary is going to have any major impact on his decision unless some team wants to throw a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract his way... which is very unlikely at this point.

For all we know, Chia could have asked 10 players to come on PTO's and only 1 accepted... so far.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

Yeah, exactly. We've been spoiled with landing some high end free agents these last two years, but need to realize that Edmonton historically is not a desirable landing spot for a lot of these players.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Have to be happy with Lucic + Veesteeg alone, adding over 200 playoff games together and 3 rings. We needed veterans.

Definitely won't see Versteeg waiting for the bus while his teammates are getting 3 on 1ed.

That's gonna be nice. Versteeg will hopefully get a contract. A different mentality. A winner. A team first player. Part of the culture change.

If Wisniewski is going to settle for a fairly low salary which is pretty much a given considering he's on a PTO... then he might as well play in a city that is better in terms of climate/location and other off-ice factors. I doubt salary is going to have any major impact on his decision unless some team wants to throw a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract his way... which is very unlikely at this point.

For all we know, Chia could have asked 10 players to come on PTO's and only 1 accepted... so far.

If Wisniewski looks like the real deal, Chia can always offer that much more money on a one year deal. But for all we know, he could bomb.

Maybe we see another D stand out for us between now and opening night. Perhaps Wis isn't the answer.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Listened to some of the Versteeg interviews and I have to say I am pretty stoked to have this guy coming to camp. As long as the wheels haven't fallen off completely I am hoping he makes the team. Can play both wings effectively, a ton of experience, great locker room guy, shown to make players around him better and already familiar with plenty of guys on the Oilers. Looks as though Yak's days are numbered.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Listened to some of the Versteeg interviews and I have to say I am pretty stoked to have this guy coming to camp. As long as the wheels haven't fallen off completely I am hoping he makes the team. Can play both wings effectively, a ton of experience, great locker room guy, shown to make players around him better and already familiar with plenty of guys on the Oilers. Looks as though Yak's days are numbered.

Versteeg has lost a step but he's a smart player that more often than not makes the right plays and anticipates the game of hockey reasonably well.

I do agree that with the addition of Versteeg that Yak is likely done. Yak would have to really overcome a lot, and all the shoddy coaching and management he has had here to beat out a wily and smooth veteran.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Versteeg has lost a step but he's a smart player that more often than not makes the right plays and anticipates the game of hockey reasonably well.

I do agree that with the addition of Versteeg that Yak is likely done. Yak would have to really overcome a lot, and all the shoddy coaching and management he has had here to beat out a wily and smooth veteran.

You know we can always play someone on the fourth line and keep both. Then when the injuries happen the team isn't completely screwed.
What happens when Eberle breaks something?

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Eberle, Hall, RNH all had the same shotty management. They still produce.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
You know we can always play someone on the fourth line and keep both. Then when the injuries happen the team isn't completely screwed.

I agree, but at the same time I don't see Tmac playing Yak over Versteeg if he earns his spot and I would really hate to see Nail on the 4th line again. Stauffer has been dumping on Yak lately and keeps eluding to deals being done after the World Cup. I think a deal may be in place pending some kind of injury or other hiccup. Ideally I would love to see both guys come out of camp like a bat out of hell and have a super deep team at forward though.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm not exactly sure why the Oilers are wasting their time with a PTO to be honest. I mean, does anyone think Versteeg is a worse player than Hendricks or Pakarinen? There's no question that he's going to be one of the top 12 forwards in camp.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Is Versteeg likely to pass the physical? I'm hearing that he wanted a PTO or contract with the Flames but they refused.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I don't really remember a lot from Versteeg from earlier in his career, but if he lost a step then he must have used to have some very good wheels because he definitely looked like an above average skater from the games I watched from last year. Has a smooth set of hands and good lateral mobility as well from what I saw.

Absolutely, and that depth could be very nice. This actually got me thinking because our fanbase is always in such fear of what we will have on the team if injuries occur. The fans that should really be worried about this at this point are the Flames. If any of Gaudreau, Monahan, Backlund or Bennett get injured they have absolutely no players who belong in the top 6 to replace them, especially if Monahan or Gaudreau ever get hurt.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Is Versteeg likely to pass the physical? I'm hearing that he wanted a PTO or contract with the Flames but they refused.

Sounds like more little brother syndrome making up rumours. He said he's perfectly healthy and the issue is Bern wasn't due to him failing a physical so I expect him to be just fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad