Confirmed with Link: Kris Versteeg Signs PTO With Oilers

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Is Versteeg likely to pass the physical? I'm hearing that he wanted a PTO or contract with the Flames but they refused.

Contract I could see, PTO? I don't think so. I heard rumblings about him wanting to sign here before he signed overseas.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't really remember a lot from Versteeg from earlier in his career, but if he lost a step then he must have used to have some very good wheels because he definitely looked like an above average skater from the games I watched from last year. Has a smooth set of hands and good lateral mobility as well from what I saw.
Versteeg had a significnat hip condition, cysts, that really hampered his play and required surgery.

Is Versteeg likely to pass the physical? I'm hearing that he wanted a PTO or contract with the Flames but they refused.

Bern, the Swiss club that was supposed to sign him this year also declined due to the previous hip injury and concerns about whether he would continue to be healthy.

I dunno, seems like he's been able to play well since, but these concerns have been expressed by managers.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Versteeg had a significnat hip condition, cysts, that really hampered his play and required surgery.

Bern, the Swiss club that was supposed to sign him this year also declined due to the previous hip injury and concerns about whether he would continue to be healthy.

I dunno, seems like he's been able to play well since, but these concerns have been expressed by managers.

Yeah I'm aware of that, I was just saying that if he's lost a step then he must have been a great skater in the first place because he looked like a fairly good skater last year. IMO he's a smaller (although not a big deal because Purcell doesn't use his size) and better skating Purcell with better hands.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Versteeg had a serious hip injury 4yrs ago that could have ended his career.

Those concerns appeared to have been expressed by an insurance company who didn't want to insure his contract in Europe. I'm not sure they've been expressed by managers before regarding Versteeg.

And even if there is a risk of him having some sort of significant hip injury.... doesn't matter really. If he earns a spot, he's going to be getting a minimal cost contract and for a team like the Oilers, it wont really matter all that much if insurance is willing to cover it or not.

Or he comes to camp, fails a physical, and the Oilers release him from the PTO. Nothing gained, nothing lost.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013

I could of swore that thy didn't decline because of the previous hip injury but that they couldn't insure him without it costing a fortune due to said hip injury.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014

I heard (on HF) it was more about insurance wanting a fortune the club didn't want to put up

edit: TKB21 you quicker ******* :laugh:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Here is the explanation with regards to the contract issue in Europe right from the player himself....

Jason Gregor: Everyone thought that you were playing in Europe, and then the contract was void. What happened?

Kris Versteeg: It’s hard to explain unless you understand the insurance issue, but basically there is illness coverage and there is injury coverage and I had a previous surgery a while ago and so they see potential injury there so they consider it not a full insurance coverage. So I was supposed to assume the risk and we talked about it, and I didn’t want to assume the risk if something happened. And then we just moved on. I came to camp one hundred percent healthy, I never missed a game in four years and it’s just the way that it is. No hard feelings, it is business. I think they got stung a couple of times last year with that and we just moved on from it. I’m excited now to come back and hopefully this is a blessing in disguise for me.

Full article is here...

http://oilersnation.com/2016/9/13/versteeg-discusses-pto-leadership-and-being-versatile

Couldnt have worked out better...Versteeg is still a good player.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Contract I could see, PTO? I don't think so. I heard rumblings about him wanting to sign here before he signed overseas.

Homerism aside (I hope), this team right now has to be extremely attractive to players in Versteeg's position.

Lots of skilled center depth and massive opportunity for veterans to play either top-line minutes with our best players or soft minutes with young skill players. It's a situation where a Versteeg, a Ruutu, a Wisniewski could really salvage a career teetering on the brink, at least enough to get a decent contract for next year. Versteeg could easily be the next Stempniak here.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Homerism aside (I hope), this team right now has to be extremely attractive to players in Versteeg's position.

Lots of skilled center depth and massive opportunity for veterans to play either top-line minutes with our best players or soft minutes with young skill players. It's a situation where a Versteeg, a Ruutu, a Wisniewski could really salvage a career teetering on the brink, at least enough to get a decent contract for next year. Versteeg could easily be the next Stempniak here.

Agreed. That said I found it disappointing that Wiz signed a PTO in Tampa over us. We'll see how that situation plays out in preseason.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Agreed. That said I found it disappointing that Wiz signed a PTO in Tampa over us. We'll see how that situation plays out in preseason.

Well if someone was going to offer you 1 million dollars for 1 year of work... and you had your choice of locations... would you choose Edmonton over Tampa Bay?

I think most people would choose a location that is sunnier with more to see and do in their off time than a snowy/cold/isolated city.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
yeah, golf I guess... other than that there's absolutely nothing to do in Tampa Bay. but I suppose that could be good enough for some people.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Well if someone was going to offer you 1 million dollars for 1 year of work... and you had your choice of locations... would you choose Edmonton over Tampa Bay?

If a 32 year old James Wisniewski is trying to salvage his NHL career, I would hope he's not thinking about his tan. He should be thinking about
a) Making sure he can get that 1 million contract this year by going to a place with legit opportunity for him to show he still belongs
b) putting himself in a position where he can turn that 1 million, 1 year deal into a multi-million, multi-year deal in 2017.

And if he's not thinking about 2017, then maybe he should be thinking about going out in style with a Cup.

That said, Tampa's a good spot for either of those options. But if he's making beach-related decisions right now, then it's not going to work out for him.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
yeah, golf I guess... other than that there's absolutely nothing to do in Tampa Bay. but I suppose that could be good enough for some people.

There's not really a lot of free time for the players during the season. And there's probably just as much to do in Edmonton, minus the golf..

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If a 32 year old James Wisniewski is trying to salvage his NHL career, I would hope he's not thinking about his tan. He should be thinking about
a) Making sure he can get that 1 million contract this year by going to a place with legit opportunity for him to show he still belongs
b) putting himself in a position where he can turn that 1 million, 1 year deal into a multi-million, multi-year deal in 2017.

And if he's not thinking about 2017, then maybe he should be thinking about going out in style with a Cup.

That said, Tampa's a good spot for either of those options. But if he's making beach-related decisions right now, then it's not going to work out for him.

I'm assuming this is what it is. From day one I said the guy probably wants a contender unless someone is going to drastically over pay him. He's made a ton of money in his career, but no cup.

It's not like going to TB he won't have a chance to play with good players either. In fact I think it's a better situation as he wouldn't need to be relied on for much there . It's not like he can't pad his stats on the PP there either.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There's not really a lot of free time for the players during the season. And there's probably just as much to do in Edmonton, minus the golf..

Unless you were playing for the Yotes when Laraque was there :laugh::laugh:

For those of you that never heard. Laraque asked for a trade out of there because the majority of players were more worried about their tee times than working on their games.

The team was god awful as well and clearly needed work

It's not always about what the city has to offer the player though. The guy clearly had a choice and if he's married or has a family that can influence a decision like this as well.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

The Oilers should be an ideal candidate for a guy like Wiz who will earn his next contract if he can put up decent numbers. In Edmonton he has a great chance to be a key player on the pp if he is healthy. Getting to play with McDavid on the pp is not a bad gig for a guy who wants to prove himself.

Tampa like Edmonton has a lot of fire power. But I don't see much room for him there as they will be lucky to get in under the cap once they sign Kucherov.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The Oilers should be an ideal candidate for a guy like Wiz who will earn his next contract if he can put up decent numbers. In Edmonton he has a great chance to be a key player on the pp if he is healthy. Getting to play with McDavid on the pp is not a bad gig for a guy who wants to prove himself.

Tampa like Edmonton has a lot of fire power. But I don't see much room for him there as they will be lucky to get in under the cap once they sign Kucherov.

You could essentially waive Garrison and fit Wiz in with that 925k cap savings. Fitting Wiz should be a non-issue for them.

Kucherov staying in the NHL however is.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Looks like gregor touched on it. But here in Europe insurance on pre existing conditions is sky high. To the where the premiums are almost as high a the contract itself. A buddy of mine works with rock bands. One of the guys did rehab 5 years ago and they could not get coverage for a gig cancelled due to illness for him. For one gig they had to use a fake shemp instead of cancelling. The guitarist was sick and if the postponed the gig they were told it could be ten years before they got insurance again

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm having a bit of difficulty piecing the whole insurance together.

What was he trying to insure, just the contract itself? If so what was he really making 500k? Was it really that dire of something to be insured?

Or is there a way to insure future earnings not related to this contract?

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Here is the explanation with regards to the contract issue in Europe right from the player himself....

Full article is here...

http://oilersnation.com/2016/9/13/versteeg-discusses-pto-leadership-and-being-versatile

Couldnt have worked out better...Versteeg is still a good player.

Thanks Guymez. And the others who mentioned this previously. As fans sometimes we forget that there are other things involved than player health concerns due to injury affecting their play. Real world concerns like insurance coverage apply as well. Probably much more stringently for a hockey organization where the risk of an "accident" or injury is at a very high level even for perfectly healthy players. Never mind ones with a medical history like Versteeg's hip surgery.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think things fell right for us to land Versteeg.
He really isnt your normal PTO level player. He apparently had legit offers from NHL clubs but chose the Europe route and once that fell apart he wanted to play close to home (Lethbridge) because of his young family. Once the Flames didnt show interest he was ours.

Should provide good competition for Puljujarvi and Yakupov.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think things fell right for us to land Versteeg.
He really isnt your normal PTO level player. He apparently had legit offers from NHL clubs but chose the Europe route and once that fell apart he wanted to play close to home (Lethbridge) because of his young family. Once the Flames didnt show interest he was ours.

Should provide good competition for Puljujarvi and Yakupov.

There was a story about his mom making them turn the tv off when he was born as she wanted his first NHL game he'd watch to be an Oilers game, so who knows where he really wanted to be.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Thanks Guymez. And the others who mentioned this previously. As fans sometimes we forget that there are other things involved than player health concerns due to injury affecting their play. Real world concerns like insurance coverage apply as well. Probably much more stringently for a hockey organization where the risk of an "accident" or injury is at a very high level even for perfectly healthy players. Never mind ones with a medical history like Versteeg's hip surgery.

You're welcome man.

It was educational for me as well. I had no idea that insurance was constructed this way and that it could be a potential issue in terms of how it applies to a player.

So I am glad that Gregor's interview could inform on the issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad