Sportsnet: Kris Versteeg says "Toronto needs to trade for a third line Center" (Said it 3 times!)

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Hes been saying it for weeks. Then Mr "I'll do anything" Dubas watches Staal walk to the Habs for a 3rd and 5th f****in rounder.

Staal is no better than what we have now.

Engvall has been playing well with 11 and 65 but I'd be wary of going with him as 3C in a playoff series

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
They should Kerfoot and that contract, the guy is unnoticeable and wont be missed

You made a typo but are you saying they should deal Kerfoot? I've actually found him pretty good on wing. He's been solid on the forecheck this season and has been noticeable battling for pucks in the corner. I think he could be missed if you get the wrong return.

If he went in a package to get Hall 50% retained I wouldn't be angry.

Who else did you have in mind to trade him for?

Reactions: Mr Hockey

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
You made a typo but are you saying they should deal Kerfoot? I've actually found him pretty good on wing. He's been solid on the forecheck this season and has been noticeable battling for pucks in the corner. I think he could be missed if you get the wrong return.

If he went in a package to get Hall 50% retained I wouldn't be angry.

Who else did you have in mind to trade him for?
I meant move him, I like him but not at 3.5 aav

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Sometimes people like Versteeg just say what we're all thinking.

And we are all thinking it.
Yeah, Versteeg likes his Kerfoot's versitility and he can move up the line up when he is going. Getting a depth defenseman and an upgrade on third line center. I don't think anyone has not said that.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Wouldn't mind going after someone like Jeff Carter. LA retains, we send them Kerfoot to even out the cap hits, and add other assets.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
ive litterally been saying this since the beginning of the season.
we have F@$#@$ all as depth down the center.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
But, but, but Kerfoot is better than Kadri.

I was told this not to long ago in the around the league thread, it was an amusing discussion

giphy.gif

Reactions: PromisedLand

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
I don't know. I just remember last season when many Leaf fans were saying that they like Kerfoot "of late", and his "pretty good" play. Then the 5 game play in series saw him get eaten alive.
I though kerfoot was one of the few bright spots in that series.
He absolutely did not get eaten alive.
I also think he has played quite well as a winger this season.
Is he a luxury we can afford going into next season? Maybe not.

Reactions: stopclickbait

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I'd consider Carter an upgrade.

Howso. Kerfoot has much better footspeed and is so much more versatile. Yeah Carter has a better shot, is bigger, and has that veteran experience. But we have the vet presence covered, so that leaves big and better shot. Not much to go after there when we have much bigger weaknesses on the left side and a noticeable absence of grit or pestyness on our team.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
If our $40M gang were scoring at an expected rate, we wouldn't give a damn about our 3rd line centre.
It’s my opinion that in order to win a cup, the third line needs to win a series that’s tight, and the starting goaltender needs to steal a game a series. The top 2 lines are good, but they won last night because of depth scoring.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't know. I just remember last season when many Leaf fans were saying that they like Kerfoot "of late", and his "pretty good" play. Then the 5 game play in series saw him get eaten alive.

I mean he had 3 points in 5 games and his pk ability was fine. Is that really getting "eaten alive"? Especially for a guy on the 3rs line

The90

Feb 27, 2017
That line had more to do with Kessel than Bones (Hags was the third wheel). He was brutal the following season, leading to the HBK being broken up. Ultimately, Pittsburgh’s success had to do with having an elite player on each line (‘16), followed by loading up the top six (‘17).

I watch most Leafs games, and Kerfoot is pretty much the same player as Bonino. He has sound defensive instincts, but his offensive skills are limited. He just happened to click with a couple of wingers for 12 weeks.
Yup. Agree with this. That third line overmatched anyone else they played against and them getting hot likely had the biggest impact on winning the cup

Reactions: BHD

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Howso. Kerfoot has much better footspeed and is so much more versatile. Yeah Carter has a better shot, is bigger, and has that veteran experience. But we have the vet presence covered, so that leaves big and better shot. Not much to go after there when we have much bigger weaknesses on the left side and a noticeable absence of grit or pestyness on our team.
Is Kerfoot that versatile though? He's fast and that's about it. Carter has a ring or two, has size, and has more offense to his game. I haven't checked but he used to be a pretty good penalty killer too.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Yeah, this is true.
No it's not we dumped one of the top faceoff guys in the league because of media and fanbase pressure . He's been a top #2 C at Colorado and his line carried the team when the top line guys were taking turns being injured 2 by 2 ."We can't win when he's suspended so we'll dump him for getting suspended " Dumbas logic.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
No it's not we dumped one of the top faceoff guys in the league because of media and fanbase pressure . He's been a top #2 C at Colorado and his line carried the team when the top line guys were taking turns being injured 2 by 2 ."We can't win when he's suspended so we'll dump him for getting suspended " Dumbas logic.
He was traded for cap purposes and to move from a position of strength to pickup a d man, the position of weakness. Obviously never worked that well, but the logic made sense

Reactions: Popeye7735

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Kadri as a 3rd line center didn't work. I hoped he could. But his impact wasn't nearly the same as in a 2nd line role. And if not mistaken, he's playing 2C in Colorado, not 3C. That's Compher isn't it? And isn't Compher regarded (i.e. the fans)as being as useful to the Avs as Kerfoot has been to Toronto?

I'm of the side that didn't believe his behaviour merited being traded. But it is what it is. Kadri may turn out to be a very good 3c in a couple of years when his game requires refocus. But if the selection is/was Tavares or Kadri (salaries notwithstanding), the sound bet is on JT.

Of former (recent) Leafs, Bozak is/was a better fit for that 3C position.

Not sure who we should target (Carl Soderberg?) but have to think there's a player out there worth a 4th round pick (e.g. 3rd + 5th for Staal) that could fit the need for a run. Maybe a player like Bennett?
Compher is indeed centering the third line and Kadri the second , Kadri was top 5 in the league for faceoff wins most of the year and both lines went on a tear when the top line fell to injury problems . The 4 game stretch before the Minnesota series Kadri's line put up 19 points in 4 games , Thats what we traded for nothing .

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00