Helene St. James Kris Draper on Drafting Rasmus Dahlin: "He’d change us overnight."

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Fairly interesting interview from our favorite Red Wings beat reporter. Some specific Q&A:

HSJ: Is the defense position a priority?

KD: “A major priority. You have Dahlin. You have Boqvist, you have Evan Bouchard playing in London, you have Noah Dobson in Acadie-Bathurst. You have Ty Smith playing out west. There’s a pretty good crew of defensemen that are going to be available in the top 20. But there are good forwards, too — everybody knows what Andrei Svechnikov is doing, everybody knows what Zadina is doing, everybody knows what Tkachuk is doing.

HSJ: “You were such a competitive player. Is it tough to want the team to miss the playoffs in order to get into the draft lottery?

KD: “Listen, I know they are going to play hard and do everything they can to make the playoffs. They basically want to screw up our draft. Here we are talking about Rasmus Dahlin, a kid that potentially is going to be a franchise defenseman — they don’t care about that. They want to win. But in the end, for us to get better, we have to draft really well and then we have to find some gems. Dan Cleary is out west right now watching Michael Rasmussen and Dennis Cholowski. Those guys have really made some big strides. We hope they can continue in their development, that they have a big summer. We need to expedite this process. We need to get these kids bigger and faster and stronger, quicker, to come in and start challenging for spots. That’s how you get better. We have to draft well. We have to find players.”

HSJ: “So you’re rooting for them to play well but come up a goal short?

KD: “Ha, I’m not touching that one. I still have friends in that locker room. I know that Henrik Zetterberg is one of the most ultimate competitors that I’ve ever played with. We know what he is going to do. But it’s a tough league.”

More here:

Red Wings' Kris Draper: On draft eligibles, the rebuild, Dylan Larkin

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
HSJ: How many reports do you write?

KD: “I go to a game, I take notes, I put the notes in our system. I’m not a very good typist but I have to type them. That takes time. I can actually get going a little bit with both hands, and then sometimes I look up and wonder, what did I just write? But I try to challenge myself to do that instead of just using my index fingers.”

Ron-Swanson-Every-Word-I-Know.gif

Reactions: avssuc

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I found it very interesting that in talking about the good defense prospects available in this draft he didn't mention Quinn Hughes. Perhaps the Wings are not high on him.

Reactions: mjtm777

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Fairly interesting interview from our favorite Red Wings beat reporter. Some specific Q&A:
Wow, that was actually interesting.

The way I read it, Drapes is basically doing everything short of saying "tank." But you can read between the lines.

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
I found it very interesting that in talking about the good defense prospects available in this draft he didn't mention Quinn Hughes. Perhaps the Wings are not high on him.

I thought the same thing but maybe I was overthinking it and he just forgot a name . On the other hand with how we’ve been drafting I don’t think they’ll take a 5 9 D with their first pick

Reactions: Go Wings

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I like that he mentions the defenseman I like for this upcoming draft.

A little apprehensive that this is an article positioning him to take over as GM...

Reactions: Bruce Joker

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I like that he mentions the defenseman I like for this upcoming draft.

A little apprehensive that this is an article positioning him to take over as GM...

Yeah from Draper's comments we can pretty easily guess that their D list looks something like: Dahlin, Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson and Smith. With Hughes and Merkley being notable omissions. Honestly this is about what I'd have guessed, and I'm happy with that list. The wings don't seem to be into the 5'10" D craze. Boqvist is sufficiently good that he gets a pass.

At this point I've resigned myself to the idea that Holland is getting replaced internally. Draper is going to be a likely candidate.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
As you all know I am bummed about the missing name here. Then again they basically went out of their way to talk about Necas a decent amount last year and not a ton about Rasmussen. So perhaps Quinn's and Merkley's omission is intentional. Of course I don't think Merkley is the Wings cup of tea anyway and perhaps they don't like what they have seen out of Quinn in their own backyard, they get to see him probably more than anyone like Vilardi last year.

I have always liked Draper. I would be very concerned if they handed the day to day over to him though. I think that would be a mistake. I have no problem elevating him into Martin's role under a new leadership group, but I do want that guy to come from outside our current setup if we are making a change.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
As you all know I am bummed about the missing name here. Then again they basically went out of their way to talk about Necas a decent amount last year and not a ton about Rasmussen. So perhaps Quinn's and Merkley's omission is intentional. Of course I don't think Merkley is the Wings cup of tea anyway and perhaps they don't like what they have seen out of Quinn in their own backyard, they get to see him probably more than anyone like Vilardi last year.

I have always liked Draper. I would be very concerned if they handed the day to day over to him though. I think that would be a mistake. I have no problem elevating him into Martin's role under a new leadership group, but I do want that guy to come from outside our current setup if we are making a change.

Wasn't it Necas who said the Wings were interested in him in an interview? I believe he was the one who mentioned that the Wings took him out to dinner. I do like all of the guys that Draper mentioned. Lundestrom is an interesting mention, don't think he is good enough for our 1st pick, but I also don't think he will be around for the 2nd pick we make. I would really like to have him though.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

If they are going internally though he probably is one of the better options. He’s not like martin where you know your getting someone bad. At least he has a shot.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If they are going internally though he probably is one of the better options. He’s not like martin where you know your getting someone bad. At least he has a shot.

We don't have an option in house that I am comfortable being the GM next year other than Holland. I think we need some change, so even with Holland I think it is time to move on, if he wants to move up great, if he wants to try things in Seattle I wish him the best. If the new person wants to keep Fischer and Draper great I like both guys. I think they are smart people and work towards us being better. I just don't think either guy should captain the ship. Hakan hasn't shown any interest, but certainly should be a part of the picture moving forward. But those are the three guys I would hang onto personally, the new GM can make a call on Wright who I don't mind but might not share the same vision as them.

Martin is supposed to be a cap guru and has screwed that up. Martin is a finance guy by trade that I am not sure of in terms of buying his hockey credentials.

We don't have to fire everyone, but I would like the voice in command to evaluate his team and make the decisions on who stays and who goes. For me that is Fenton's or Yzerman's call... Yes I know that will cause a storm but Tampa very well could achieve what it would need to make him available. I really want Paul Fenton more than anybody else, he is my #1 choice.

By the way did anybody else laugh a little at Nill's we like our team comments to McKenzie?

Reactions: jkutswings

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I like his excitement about Cholowski and echo his hope that the kid makes it hard for them to put him anywhere but in the NHL next season.

Dahlin would be killer to land but I'm putting my hopes for that happening at zero. Even if we were to finish dead last it would be a less than 50% chance so there's literally no reason to hope or plan for Dahlin.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
The job of a GM is to build a good team that makes good decisions from top to bottom, vet the decisions and then execute. It seems like the general consensus is that the GM is actually the one making all the decisions. This is akin to CEO reverence, when the primary output of the work for both roles is to be a communications conduit. The function is more about servant leadership and communications than it is about making these sweeping "perfect" decisions.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
We don't have an option in house that I am comfortable being the GM next year other than Holland. I think we need some change, so even with Holland I think it is time to move on, if he wants to move up great, if he wants to try things in Seattle I wish him the best. If the new person wants to keep Fischer and Draper great I like both guys. I think they are smart people and work towards us being better. I just don't think either guy should captain the ship. Hakan hasn't shown any interest, but certainly should be a part of the picture moving forward. But those are the three guys I would hang onto personally, the new GM can make a call on Wright who I don't mind but might not share the same vision as them.

Martin is supposed to be a cap guru and has screwed that up. Martin is a finance guy by trade that I am not sure of in terms of buying his hockey credentials.

We don't have to fire everyone, but I would like the voice in command to evaluate his team and make the decisions on who stays and who goes. For me that is Fenton's or Yzerman's call... Yes I know that will cause a storm but Tampa very well could achieve what it would need to make him available. I really want Paul Fenton more than anybody else, he is my #1 choice.

By the way did anybody else laugh a little at Nill's we like our team comments to McKenzie?

I’m not comfortable with him either. Just saying I’d have more faith in him then martin or whoever the other candidates are

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The job of a GM is to build a good team that makes good decisions from top to bottom, vet the decisions and then execute. It seems like the general consensus is that the GM is actually the one making all the decisions. This is akin to CEO reverence, when the primary output of the work for both roles is to be a communications conduit. The function is more about servant leadership and communications than it is about making these sweeping "perfect" decisions.

I totally agree and the assembly of that team is really important. I think for years we had the strongest organization not just on the ice but in management. We have stumbled a bit there as other teams came calling. I still believe in Holland in terms of he has a history of surrounding himself with excellent people. But maybe they aren't seeing exactly eye to eye on everything, I am not sure. But that is also why I said I think who is around here depends entirely on who is in charge next season. It is on them to assemble the team they listen to and respect. To craft the vision for where this franchise is heading. Ultimately the new GM needs autonomy to drive the bus in the direction they see fit.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

How Martin still has his job is baffling.

I wouldn’t mind cleaning house a little bit. Relieve Martin (and maybe Wright) of their duties, promote Draper to Director of Amateur Scouting, bring in an external hire for GM.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
How Martin still has his job is baffling.

I wouldn’t mind cleaning house a little bit. Relieve Martin (and maybe Wright) of their duties, promote Draper to Director of Amateur Scouting, bring in an external hire for GM.

It is hard to talk about another human beings job that way, but I really don't understand it.

I know what Mike Ilitch would have done back in the day this off-season. He would have asked permission from Tampa, likely a no but who knows. Then he would have asked who the best guy was to possibly hire, hopped on a plane and put a blank check in front of the guy and slide him a pen. To me that is Paul Fenton.

Chris Ilitch should be on a plane after the season to meet him in person and pitch him on being the leader of his organization. I think Holland can stick around as an advisor if he wants to, Devellano (drunk uncle) can still be around hockey people love him. But that he will be the ultimate shot caller it is his team and he can do what he wants next. I am not sure we will get that out of Chris Ilitch. However, that is what needs to happen and I hope upon hope is going to happen.

By the way here is another thing, the guy that comes in can do anything he wants. He needs to have full autonomy. I bring that up because if Fenton gets here and likes a trade involving Larkin. I will understand the disappointment but I am going to fully support that. It is his call or whomever the next guy is who is in his front office and takes the ice for this team. As it should be. He should listen to the people he assembles around him but the buck stops with him and I hope he can get us back on track in a hurry.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It is hard to talk about another human beings job that way, but I really don't understand it.

I know what Mike Ilitch would have done back in the day this off-season. He would have asked permission from Tampa, likely a no but who knows. Then he would have asked who the best guy was to possibly hire, hopped on a plane and put a blank check in front of the guy and slide him a pen. To me that is Paul Fenton.

Chris Ilitch should be on a plane after the season to meet him in person and pitch him on being the leader of his organization. I think Holland can stick around as an advisor if he wants to, Devellano (drunk uncle) can still be around hockey people love him. But that he will be the ultimate shot caller it is his team and he can do what he wants next. I am not sure we will get that out of Chris Ilitch. However, that is what needs to happen and I hope upon hope is going to happen.

Yeah, more than anything I’d like to see a little passion from him. Even if it’s not Fenton. Something that shows me he doesn’t just want to maintain status quo.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I thought the same thing but maybe I was overthinking it and he just forgot a name . On the other hand with how we’ve been drafting I don’t think they’ll take a 5 9 D with their first pick

Yah maybe I was overthinking too but you think a guy playing at university of Michigan he would comment about if they were interested.

Draper has very likely scouted him.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I'm not high on the idea of Kris Draper being the next GM of this team, but I question why do people think he'll be horrible? He could be as good or better than Yzerman... we don't know.

As for finding someone on the outside of DRWs org to be next GM, I don't see that happening. Not often do Wings go outside to make changes, they usually bring someone in and groom them for the position. And I honestly don't know who I would bring in from the outside to GM in this team. No names really appeal to me. Maybe Dale Tallon?, but his long term track record has been bleak. Seems replacing the legendary Ken Holland will be HUGE shoes to fill for any GM.

I can warm up to the idea of giving Kris Draper a short 3 to 5 year chance to see what he can do.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
If anything at least Draper is known for being super competitive. I don't see him as the type to make no major changes to a non playoff roster over the offseason and go in to training camp saying "we like our team". He seems like more of a get shit done type of guy, but who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad