Helene St. James Kris Draper on Drafting Rasmus Dahlin: "He’d change us overnight."

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
If anything at least Draper is known for being super competitive. I don't see him as the type to make no major changes to a non playoff roster over the offseason and go in to training camp saying "we like our team". He seems like more of a get **** done type of guy, but who knows.

Gotta agree here. Draper wants to win so bad he almost fought Gary Roberts at the Alumni game, thats the competitive attitude you need in a GM. I have no idea how he would be, none of us do really any more than when Yzerman was here. Draper could be that next young GM who builds a dynasty, or he could be garbage.

If Draper is hired, I would give him a chance before I decided to jump off a building, I'm sure some wouldnt though. I tihnk I might prefer a guy like Fenton, Hunter or Tampas AGM (Brisebois?).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Gotta agree here. Draper wants to win so bad he almost fought Gary Roberts at the Alumni game, thats the competitive attitude you need in a GM. I have no idea how he would be, none of us do really any more than when Yzerman was here. Draper could be that next young GM who builds a dynasty, or he could be garbage.

If Draper is hired, I would give him a chance before I decided to jump off a building, I'm sure some wouldnt though. I tihnk I might prefer a guy like Fenton, Hunter or Tampas AGM (Brisebois?).

I'd prefer an external guy, but the success of Stevie gives me some hope Draper could do a good job if it comes to that.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Dahlin would be killer to land but I'm putting my hopes for that happening at zero. Even if we were to finish dead last it would be a less than 50% chance so there's literally no reason to hope or plan for Dahlin.

If the chance is ~7%, why put hopes on zero?

The hopes are pretty much 7%.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I hope the next GM is brought from outside of the current organization. Just because he would bring in some new ideas and new perspective.

Julien Brisebois, Mark Hunter, Chris Pryor, Paul Fenton, Chris Lamoriello, Jason Karmanos and Barry Hanrahan are most interesting candidates.

Ideal front office would be:
GM: Julien Brisebois
Asst. GM: Al Murray
Asst. GM: Kris Draper
Dir. Player Personnel: Ryan Martin
Dir. of Hockey Administration: Bryan Campbell
Sr. VP/Senior Advisor: Jim Devellano
Ex .VP/Senior Advisor: Ken Holland

hockey guys, statictics guys, scouting talent, young talent, experience all in same package.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
How Martin still has his job is baffling.

I wouldn’t mind cleaning house a little bit. Relieve Martin (and maybe Wright) of their duties, promote Draper to Director of Amateur Scouting, bring in an external hire for GM.

Harsh on Wright. What has he actually done to deserve being replaced? His drafting record is ok already, and only likely to improve given the development of some of the guys hes drafted still in development

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Yeah from Draper's comments we can pretty easily guess that their D list looks something like: Dahlin, Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson and Smith. With Hughes and Merkley being notable omissions. Honestly this is about what I'd have guessed, and I'm happy with that list. The wings don't seem to be into the 5'10" D craze. Boqvist is sufficiently good that he gets a pass.

At this point I've resigned myself to the idea that Holland is getting replaced internally. Draper is going to be a likely candidate.

5'10 D can be awesome. I just wouldn't use a top 10 pick on one unless they were lights out great.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
How Martin still has his job is baffling.

I wouldn’t mind cleaning house a little bit. Relieve Martin (and maybe Wright) of their duties, promote Draper to Director of Amateur Scouting, bring in an external hire for GM.

The cap guru's job is to make sure it fits.
He doesn't negotiate. He doesn't set the priorities.

If Holland is willing to negotiate a 7-year deal with Abby for $4.25, what is Martin supposed to do?

That said, I have know knowledge of anything that would suggest he should run the show.

If I'm Draper, and they don't consider me for the job, I start looking for a new gig. He'll land a GM job somewhere soon.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not high on the idea of Kris Draper being the next GM of this team, but I question why do people think he'll be horrible? He could be as good or better than Yzerman... we don't know.

As for finding someone on the outside of DRWs org to be next GM, I don't see that happening. Not often do Wings go outside to make changes, they usually bring someone in and groom them for the position. And I honestly don't know who I would bring in from the outside to GM in this team. No names really appeal to me. Maybe Dale Tallon?, but his long term track record has been bleak. Seems replacing the legendary Ken Holland will be HUGE shoes to fill for any GM.

I can warm up to the idea of giving Kris Draper a short 3 to 5 year chance to see what he can do.

Say what you want about Tallon, but he's the guy who put the main pieces in place for the Hawks' run the past eight years. And he had Florida in a really nice spot before their ownership went nuts. If we were really looking at tearing things down, I think he's one of the few guys we could have some faith in putting new pieces in place.

I think the concern with any internal candidate is how much independence they may really have. The assumption is that to get a top guy from outside the organization that there would have to be some promise of autonomy to make it worth their while. I'm not sure hiring a guy would be easy if they knew their decisions would have to be ran through Ilitch all of the time or a group of "advisors" or whatever. A guy who has been here, though, maybe they go with it just because it's how it works here.

Internally, I favor promoting Wright if we're promoting someone. I'm ambivalent towards Draper. I'm with Zetterberg Era in liking Fenton, and I could get behind Tallon pretty easily. Truth be told, if our choice is Holland or an internal candidate, I'd probably just stick with Holland.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Say what you want about Tallon, but he's the guy who put the main pieces in place for the Hawks' run the past eight years. And he had Florida in a really nice spot before their ownership went nuts. If we were really looking at tearing things down, I think he's one of the few guys we could have some faith in putting new pieces in place.

Yep. I agree! And he is the only guy I can think of that seems somewhat appealing. The tongue in cheek comment was based on the fact that he can't have stability. See Hawks and Panthers. Is there a reason why? I don't know... That's why I said "bleak".

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I will have you know that the speed at which I typed "good" at was very well. That is what is most important!

You could also use the Babcock shorthand and go with "gud", which would save you time and space when replacing "really good" with "realgud". It's all about efficiency.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yep. I agree! And he is the only guy I can think of that seems somewhat appealing. The tongue in cheek comment was based on the fact that he can't have stability. See Hawks and Panthers. Is there a reason why? I don't know... That's why I said "bleak".

I'll throw a reason out there: what he does takes time. And his teams will probably be pretty bad at times until the pieces he picks up start coming together. He was GM of the Hawks for four or five years before they really started to look promising on the backs of the players he brought in. Same in Florida.

It's one of my worries with the Wings and if they bring someone in. He'll come in, there will be some bleak years, and folks (maybe ownership) will start questioning everything rather than letting it play out as they should. It's part of the reason I'm sorta okay letting Holland ride out a couple more years. I'm not sure how much can really be changed with a number of his deals in place, anyway.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
even if we ad Dahlin we are not going to bit team like Bruins , only if we bring both D and Z or Y and F

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
If we land 2nd pick....Dahlin goes 1 as expected. Do you take Svechnikov or go with D?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Harsh on Wright. What has he actually done to deserve being replaced? His drafting record is ok already, and only likely to improve given the development of some of the guys hes drafted still in development

I did say "maybe", but really I was just trying to think of a way to shake things up and move Draper into the Director of Amateur Scouting role, since he seems to be primarily assisting with scouting.

Wouldn't mind moving Wright into Martin's role, and Draper into Wright's role... and just letting go of Martin.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
That is hogwash: adding one player, no matter how good he is, is not going to change everything "overnight." Adding Dahlin is a very big "if," anyway. He cannot play every shift on every line. Plus, no one knows whether this kid will actually make it in the NHL where the game is very different from where he has been playing so far. I think a lot of this is on the coach. If Blash is unable to come up with a system that utilizes the strong sides of the available players, he is no NHL coach.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
That is hogwash: adding one player, no matter how good he is, is not going to change everything "overnight." Adding Dahlin is a very big "if," anyway. He cannot play every shift on every line. Plus, no one knows whether this kid will actually make it in the NHL where the game is very different from where he has been playing so far. I think a lot of this is on the coach. If Blash is unable to come up with a system that utilizes the strong sides of the available players, he is no NHL coach.

But if he is in fact a true #1 out of the box then he slots our current D-men down a peg and makes the unit better as a whole. Getting that guy who actually fits the bill as a #1 will have rippling affects through our D corps

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
But if he is in fact a true #1 out of the box then he slots our current D-men down a peg and makes the unit better as a whole. Getting that guy who actually fits the bill as a #1 will have rippling affects through our D corps
That is still a big "if". Also, even if the defense improves, which is, of course, important, the rest of the team remains.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
his point is that getting Dahlin, who isnt guaranteed to be an elite 1D, wont change us overnight

Draper is obviously speaking under the assumption that Dahlin will be as good as advertised. If he, most certainly would change us overnight.

Reactions: pz29

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
He wouldn’t change us into playoff contenders overnight yes, But he changes the organizations future overnight.

Even if he busts, he changes the way the orginization will think for at least a couple of months

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
his point is that getting Dahlin, who isnt guaranteed to be an elite 1D, wont change us overnight

Draper is obviously speaking under the assumption that Dahlin will be as good as advertised. If he, most certainly would change us overnight.
Thanks for clarifying my point--that is exactly what I meant. This belief in the "magic of tanking" is silly. Have Edmonton and Buffalo become any good after drafting early year after year? Or, are the Wings really such a special case?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad