Rumor: Kreider's NO Trade List includes ALL Canadian teams (Speculation on Destination)

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I think people here are dissecting far too much.

This thread has suddenly become a debate about urban sprawl and how US cities are structured compared to Canadian cities. Does anybody really think Kreider got into such specifics when he made his NTC list?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but if an American lists the US as his primary residence then dont they save $$$ on taxes? Apparently that's what Mathews did. If that's the case then wouldn't Kreider be financially better off playing anywhere in Canada, especially Calgary or Edmonton where there is no PST, than where he currently is in NYC?

Income taxes are based on where you reside. You can't just list your an address on your tax return. You actually have to live there. The IRS and the CRA would be all over an athlete with a publicly reported multi-million dollar salary being untruthful about where they live.

All athletes and performers will pay income tax in the place they actually perform though. So the above would only count for home games. So even if you could pull some trick where you went home every night across the border, you'd still pay taxes where you played your home games.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I think people here are dissecting far too much.

This thread has suddenly become a debate about urban sprawl and how US cities are structured compared to Canadian cities. Does anybody really think Kreider got into such specifics when he made his NTC list?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but if an American lists the US as his primary residence then dont they save $$$ on taxes? Apparently that's what Mathews did. If that's the case then wouldn't Kreider be financially better off playing anywhere in Canada, especially Calgary or Edmonton where there is no PST, than where he currently is in NYC?

Professional athletes are subject to Jock Tax, which means they have to pay income taxes on every state they play in. So players that choose to play in FLA are still getting taxed on away games (unless they’re playing in Texas or Nevada I believe).

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Professional athletes are subject to Jock Tax, which means they have to pay income taxes on every state they play in. So players that choose to play in FLA are still getting taxed on away games (unless they’re playing in Texas or Nevada I believe).

Tennessee as well. That's one of the reasons I left NYC for Nashville.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Halifax is a very underrated city. As is fredericton.

Both Halifax and Moncton are growing at an incredible rate ATM.

Halifax is a proper city now though compared to back in the 90's, the amalgamation did wonders for Halifax!
Moncton's still a couple decades away from that type of density but it's coming.(half a dozen cranes are up atm) and they have some massive projects lineup/approved. Greater Moncton be flirting with 200,000+ in no time.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Kreider is not 52...he's 28. Plus all his friends and family likely live in the NE/NYC area.

Toronto has good nightlife and is one of the closer cities to NYC in the NHL.

They don't have the cap but I find it off they'd be on a no trade list. Seems like some Americans don't want to live in Canada, but Canadians don't seem to be as picky with this.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Both Halifax and Moncton are growing at an incredible rate ATM.

Halifax is a proper city now though compared to back in the 90's, the amalgamation did wonders for Halifax!
Moncton's still a couple decades away from that type of density but it's coming.(half a dozen cranes are up atm) and they have some massive projects lineup/approved. Greater Moncton be flirting with 200,000+ in no time.

Yeah Halifax is booming right now. My sister and her boyfriend have been looking for a home for over a year now, anything they find gets scooped up in a second.

Not a huge fan of Moncton though, I went to school at UNB in Fredericton and loved it. Never will be mistaken for a city but it's a cool little spot.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Yeah Halifax is booming right now. My sister and her boyfriend have been looking for a home for over a year now, anything they find gets scooped up in a second.

Not a huge fan of Moncton though, I went to school at UNB in Fredericton and loved it. Never will be mistaken for a city but it's a cool little spot.

Yeah Moncton's more of a hub, so close to everything (warmest beach in Canada, Fundy Park 45min, PEI 45min.) Etc

The city was pretty meh but its turning around quite fast, especially over the last 5 years!

I agree Fredericton is a fun little city, I also spend a year at UNB. Great memories

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That’s steep for a rental. 1st plus a b prospect is historically about right. Maybe throw in a sweetener if he re-signs.

Rentals don’t return top tier prospects.

We'll see what happens.

I look at the prices of the rentals this year, and see them costing more. If the baseline coming in was viewed as at least a first round pick and a good prospect, I would think that the winning offer has a good chance to be a first round pick and a very good/elite prospect. I don't think Gorton's going to overcomplicate things. There are 5+ teams interested. They'll all put their 1st round pick on the table, and try to offer a good prospect as the second piece in return. The team that decides to up their offer to a very good/elite prospect will be the team that makes the trade for Kreider. It's very likely one team will decide to do so.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Cost is certainly relative (taxes not so much.....way higher here than in many US places). Was in the US for a week recently and most things were actually more expensive there than here. Basically they do well on things like gas, poultry and liquor. Certainly if you are in places like Toronto or Vancouver (where I assume most of them would choose to be) you'll pay big bucks. One thing I love about the Maritimes (where none of them would obviously end up) is the cost. You can get a 2,400 sqft house with land and water view for like $60,000 CDN and be close to forests, beaches etc. All depends what you like in life!

While most of what you said is true... I have no idea where you’re getting a 2,400sqft home with land and water for that price :laugh: Martines are cheap but no where close to that.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That's why most players in lower-tax jurisdictions want their contracts to be signing bonus heavy. See Stamkos and to a lesser extent Kucherov, Seguin, Bobrovsky, Benn, etc. Getting paid in bonus stays in your home tax jurisdiction, whereas the game check (pulled out of base salary) is counted towards the jock tax. There are obviously other benefits to getting frontloaded signing bonuses (a dollar today is worth more than a dollar in 5 years, etc).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad