Confirmed with Link: Kreider replacing Panarin for 2019 All Star Game.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Hoping to see some lacrosse goals & other creative stuff, I remember years ago people saw lacrosse goals as some novelty and never would've thought it would find its way into an NHL game. I always practice lacrosse moves, weird dekes & trick shots in warmups so I enjoy watching that kind of stuff. I'm also younger than most this forum so maybe that's why, although some act as if only 6 year olds watch the ASG.
For me, the further I got into my 20’s the more my interest in it dissipated, I don’t know if there was some kind of correlation with me not putting NHL players on such a pedestal anymore or what. I kind of see it like all the players that aren’t going (especially this season), as a break from focusing so much on hockey and the Rangers.

That said, I’m all for people liking it

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Hoping to see some lacrosse goals & other creative stuff, I remember years ago people saw lacrosse goals as some novelty and never would've thought it would find its way into an NHL game. I always practice lacrosse moves, weird dekes & trick shots in warmups so I enjoy watching that kind of stuff. I'm also younger than most this forum so maybe that's why, although some act as if only 6 year olds watch the ASG.

Not sure how old you are but if your on the younger side like less than 30, the actual all star games you’ve watched since you were a kid have been absolutely atrocious. Players barely giving any effort and games ending up 18-16 isn’t hockey.

That’s why the new division vs division format was smart of the league to do cause I recall some talk of getting rid of it like the NFL was thinking of doing with their pitiful Pro Bowl exhibition.

That said when I was growing up and in early teens so we are talking circa 1974-75 due no one having cable TV yet and their only being a handful of stations, the only hockey you could watch was Ranger games on channel 9 and those were only the road games.

Than on a Sunday you’d get a game of the week on either channel 2 or 4 here in NY metro area. So not a lot of hockey you could actually watch. That’s why the all star game was a much much bigger deal for peeps like me who were around back than.

The all star game was our chance to watch Bobby Orr play with Rod Gilbert, Jean Ratelle pass the puck to Darryl Sittler,Bobby Hull shoot pees at Eddie Giacomen....shit like that.

And the players really tried and cared and winning the all star MVP was a huge big deal cause you won a nice car. And back than money wasn’t flowing obviously like today. I still remember vividly former Ranger Don Maloney winning the MVP and me feeling so proud cause it was a Ranger who won it!

Bottom line...I still get a kick out of the allstar game and even tho you and I are in the minority as most peeps I know personally and in here don’t dig it as much as I do....whatever it’s all good and different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdJovanovski

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It is true unfortunately, and it’s pathetic.

Sorry, I should have specified as head of scouting, which I believe was 2007

Since Clark has led, there hasn’t been one. Stepan played for the junior all star team.

He was the head amateur scout starting in 2005, head of player personnel since 2007.

All star players that Clark (under different titles) was responsible for drafting/signing/acquiring before they pros include Staal, McD, Girardi and Kreider.

So two draftees, one undrafted free agent, and one amateur player they targeted via trade prior to him turning pro, for a total of 5 all star appearances over 11 games since being the main decision maker on amateur players.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Not sure how old you are but if your on the younger side like less than 30, the actual all star games you’ve watched since you were a kid have been absolutely atrocious. Players barely giving any effort and games ending up 18-16 isn’t hockey.

That’s why the new division vs division format was smart of the league to do cause I recall some talk of getting rid of it like the NFL did with their pitiful Pro Bowl exhibition.

That said when I was growing up and in early teens so we are talking circa 1974-75 due no one having cable TV yet and their only being a handful of stations, the only hockey you could watch was Ranger games on channel 9 and those were only the road games.

Than on a Sunday you’d get a game of the week on either channel 2 or 4 here in NY metro area. So not a lot of hockey you could actually watch. That’s why the all star game was a much much bigger deal for peeps like me who were around back than.

The all star game was our chance to watch Bobby Orr play with Rod Gilbert, Jean Ratelle pass the puck to Darryl Sittler,Bobby Hull shoot pees at Eddie Giacomen....**** like that.

And the players really tried and cared and winning the all star MVP was a huge big deal cause you won a nice car. And back than money wasn’t flowing obviously like today. I still remember vividly former Ranger Don Maloney winning the MVP and me feeling so proud cause it was a Ranger who won it!

Bottom line...I still get a kick out of the allstar game and even tho you and I are in the minority as most peeps I know personally and in here don’t dig it as much as I do....whatever it’s all good and different strokes for different folks.
I'm closer to 20 than 30 :laugh: growing up with the internet & services where I can watch every Rangers game even though I don't live near NY; and being in a huge hockey market in Vancouver I guess I never experienced the anticipation of seeing those star players that you'd rarely get to see back then. So maybe that's why there was such an allure to it in a lot of people on here's younger days where it's worn off now because with the internet they can see every star player on demand at the click of a button

Reactions: Cmox and Maximus

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
He was the head amateur scout starting in 2005, head of player personnel since 2007.

All star players that Clark (under different titles) was responsible for drafting/signing/acquiring before they pros include Staal, McD, Girardi and Kreider.

So two draftees, one undrafted free agent, and one amateur player they targeted via trade prior to him turning pro, for a total of 5 all star appearances over 11 games since being the main decision maker on amateur players.

I think he was actually promoted a few days after the 2005 draft lol, but we’re splitting hairs here either way. ;)

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I was right with you with regards to the all star game a few years ago....get rid of it as it was totally unwatchable. Than they came up with this new division vs division thingie with it being 3 on 3 with I believe a million bucks on the line and I became intrigued to see how it would play out.

Well much to my surprise due to the players actually seemingly trying at least 80% of the time rather than 50% like they used too, the new format IMO has actually become enjoyable to watch, at least to me it is and I got to give the league credit where credit is due as this new improved format they implemented has been a hell of a good idea.

Unlike you as well, I still enjoy the skills contest maybe not as much as when Al Iafrate was winning hardest shot contests but well enough to where I take time aside to watch it unless the Mrs. has some compelling event for me to attend.

So sure Kreieder doesn’t deserve to be in St.Louis as he’s obviously not an “allstar” but I’ll be rooting like crazy for him to win the MVP award as John Scott did a few years ago...lol

Yeah, I'll still certainly still end up watching the skills competition if I'm home. It just doesn't hold the same appeal for me as it used to.

And I'm guilty of not watching an entire game since they switched to that 3v3 format. If the players are putting in more effort, then perhaps I should give it a shot. I had just grown sick of watching them care less and less each year.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Yeah, I'll still certainly still end up watching the skills competition if I'm home. It just doesn't hold the same appeal for me as it used to.

And I'm guilty of not watching an entire game since they switched to that 3v3 format. If the players are putting in more effort, then perhaps I should give it a shot. I had just grown sick of watching them care less and less each year.

Give the all star game a shot this year. It's much improved over the other crap from 5+ years ago. I mean you got to try it on to see if it fits...right? And like I said I agree with you about the skills competition not being as cool as it was

It was really fun to watch the year Messier won the shot accuracy event nailing all 4 plates in 4 shots like Ray Bourque had done 2-3 years in a row. What was that...15 years ago? 20? I actually still remember shit like that. I think Chara has the record for hardest shot...108 mph...something like that.

Shit I can still remember Mike Gartner when he was a Ranger I believe winning fastest skater. That had to be '92 or '93...25 years ago...crazy that I'd remember that but that's cause the skills competition was a very big deal back than.

So no it's not as good as it was even than but its still worth a watch. I wonder if they'll have MacKinnon go heads up vs McDavid in fastest skater. I'm hoping they do.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
More than a tinge.

I know how you feel.

Baymax.gif

Reactions: Machinehead

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Usually his slumps happen in the 2nd half, he got his out of the way early this season

It's weird because he's one of those guys for whom a very clear number jumps to mind - 28 goals and around 53 points. It's like he hits goal plateaus and that's where he stays.

He hit the 21 goal/45 point production level (if not the milestone itself) in 2013-14, and then he stayed there for two more years.

Then he jumped up to 28 goals in 2016-17, and has stayed at that level since.

It feels like there are very clearly defined benchmarks for Kreider.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Give the all star game a shot this year. It's much improved over the other crap from 5+ years ago. I mean you got to try it on to see if it fits...right? And like I said I agree with you about the skills competition not being as cool as it was

It was really fun to watch the year Messier won the shot accuracy event nailing all 4 plates in 4 shots like Ray Bourque had done 2-3 years in a row. What was that...15 years ago? 20? I actually still remember **** like that. I think Chara has the record for hardest shot...108 mph...something like that.

**** I can still remember Mike Gartner when he was a Ranger I believe winning fastest skater. That had to be '92 or '93...25 years ago...crazy that I'd remember that but that's cause the skills competition was a very big deal back than.

So no it's not as good as it was even than but its still worth a watch. I wonder if they'll have MacKinnon go heads up vs McDavid in fastest skater. I'm hoping they do.

I have vivid memories of the All-Star games through that era too. Everything in them then seemed larger than life, and honestly, I don't think that that was only because I was a kid; there was something about it that felt more honest. It should be possible to compare what those guys were doing to what All-Stars do now; even if just to get an idea of how much the athletes have improved.

For that reason, I wish they had kept the events all the same (even down as far as getting the hardest shot guys to use wooden sticks), but I'm a bit of a purist and I would really like to be able to honestly compare All-Star records across generations. It seems like every year in the fastest skater, there is a different set-up where guys get more chance to get up to speed before the first turn by starting at the far blueline, or they are only doing a half rink skate because it's head-to-head. And Larkin's skating start that lead to him beating Gartner's time without receiving an asterisk still annoys me to think about.

But I'll end up watching the skills competition, because my inner child is not yet dead. If I have the opporunity, I'll take your advice and give the 3v3 tourney a shot as well, but over the last 15 years or so I've gotten pretty jaded about it.

edit - not really serious about the wooden sticks, but I do kind of wish that there was something to separate the guys who used them and the guys that used composite.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maximus

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
It's weird because he's one of those guys for whom a very clear number jumps to mind - 28 goals and around 53 points. It's like he hits goal plateaus and that's where he stays.

He hit the 21 goal/45 point production level (if not the milestone itself) in 2013-14, and then he stayed there for two more years.

Then he jumped up to 28 goals in 2016-17, and has stayed at that level since.

It feels like there are very clearly defined benchmarks for Kreider.

It's very true about Kreider and that you can pretty much right it down before the year starts...26-28 goals...23-25 assists....51-53 points..done!

Dunnno about you, but I used to get the same kind of vibe when Stepan was here as well. Before the year you could pretty much write it down that Steps would end up with 16-18 goals...36-38 assists and finish the year with his usual 54-55 points.

Just the way it is with some players. Hopefully you and I and the rest of us in 3 years will be able when we think about what kind of year will Kakko typically have, we'll be able to jot down 33-35 goals...40-42 assists....70-72 points. I'd take years like that from him in a heart beat and don't think they are unrealistic down the road when he fills out.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
My theory is that they deprive us of hockey for so long during the all-star break, that it makes us want any kind of hockey. I don’t mind the ASG, but if there was only a couple days break, I wouldn’t be as interested in it. Skills competition I would watch either way.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Honestly, I'm not gonna keep debating the same crap. It's always about asset management, extracting maximum value, blah blah blah. People here couldn't build a hockey team if their life depended on it. I get this place is called "Hockey Futures" but people here are lame. They can't even enjoy a season because all they care about is the next draft and this pipe dream of building this perfect team. Hockey fans are weird, I've never seen a group so infatuated with 17 and 18 year old kids. Kinda creepy.
There are some fans that take it too far with the infatuation imo, but most of them just like good players. Plus, this is a hard cap league and the best way to get around that is with good, young players.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I have vivid memories of the All-Star games through that era too. Everything in them then seemed larger than life, and honestly, I don't think that that was only because I was a kid; there was something about it that felt more honest. It should be possible to compare what those guys were doing to what All-Stars do now; even if just to get an idea of how much the athletes have improved.

For that reason, I wish they had kept the events all the same (even down as far as getting the hardest shot guys to use wooden sticks), but I'm a bit of a purist and I would really like to be able to honestly compare All-Star records across generations. It seems like every year in the fastest skater, there is a different set-up where guys get more chance to get up to speed before the first turn by starting at the far blueline, or they are only doing a half rink skate because it's head-to-head. And Larkin's skating start that lead to him beating Gartner's time without receiving an asterisk still annoys me to think about.

But I'll end up watching the skills competition, because my inner child is not yet dead. If I have the opporunity, I'll take your advice and give the 3v3 tourney a shot as well, but over the last 15 years or so I've gotten pretty jaded about it.

edit - not really serious about the wooden sticks, but I do kind of wish that there was something to separate the guys who used them and the guys that used composite.

I think "larger than life" was your view as a kid that changed as you grew older (that's my take).

Otherwise for a number of years I'd skip watching the even altogether because of its complete lack of competitive edge that defines hockey as a sport in general. I'm with @Maximus on his take that the switch to the divisional elimination format, prize money and 3-on-3 format got me back into watching the event. TBH, 3-on-3 seems perfect because it's all about skills and speed (as opposed to physicality and tenaciousness) by its nature, so I can buy into ("believing") it as opposed to when 5 hockey players would just stand around and wait for an opponent player with possession to "Putin" his way to a goal.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad