Confirmed with Link: Kreider replacing Panarin for 2019 All Star Game.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
95% of the time, Mika turned the offer down and Kreider was next on the list.

5% of the time, management worked the situation to hopefully bolster Kreider's value or to let Mika heal up from something.

0% of the time, anybody thought that Kreider was the correct choice of the two.

It may be that I've gotten older, but I would rather just not have an All-Star game anymore. Even the skills competitions have lost their appeal to me. The straw that broke my back on that one is Larkin's "fastest skater record". The whole thing just smacks of a PR event now.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I think it can be misguided at times, frustrating at other points, but creepy tends to carry a whole different connotation --- especially in the phrase "I've never seen a group so infatuated with 17 and 18 year old kids. Kinda creepy." So again, if it's a wording thing...eh, I feel like that kind of took in a wrong direction.

But yes, there will always be contingents on here that have good aspects and not so good aspects. You've got the logic crowd, the analytics crowd, the hot takes/reactionary crowd, the crowd that wants to trade everyone for picks, the crowd that loves reclamation projects, the posters who prefer European players, the ones who prefer North American prospects, the anti-establishment crowd, the coach-focused crowd, the trade proposal crowd, jaded crowd, the rose colored glasses crowd, and probably a dozen more different groups.

And people belong to more than one group, at different times, and there's movement between those groups, and tendencies, and yada, yada, yada.

You kind of just learn to surf between the various waves.

I can't believe this still needs to be explained. How can you not say people aren't obsessed with Lafreniere or Byfield or Raymond? That's all they talk about. Are they not 17 and 18 years old? It's always the next draft class. It's like that's all that matters. I think it's dumb. You don't like the word creepy, whatever that's cool.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I can't believe this still needs to be explained. How can you not say people aren't obsessed with Lafreniere or Byfield or Raymond? That's all they talk about. Are they not 17 and 18 years old? It's always the next draft class. It's like that's all that matters. I think it's dumb. You don't like the word creepy, whatever that's cool.

I'm sorry, but why do you keep thinking I am disagreeing with your assertion that some people are fixated on prospects and drafts?

This is literally the third time I've had to acknowledge that YES there are people who take that approach.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
You should find somewhere else to post, with people that are more like you, or something.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

Of course we're obsessed. That's why we're here. Is it creepy to talk about prospects on a website that's called Hockey's Future?

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Guys, I have a very special announcement to make.

With the replacement of Panarin, Chris Kreider is the the first player drafted by Gordie Clark to play in an NHL all-star game.

Hats off to Gordie Clark - it only took you a decade!

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Am I the only person here who loves the all star game & skills comp? :help:

To be honest with you, I enjoy it as well.

And on the list of things that warrant push-back, or strong negative reactions, I just don't see the ASG being high on that list.

It's an exhibition and a diversion during the dead of winter, and excuse to sit back, grab a couple of beers, and not have your stomach in knots watching a game.

I feel like the negative responses, for whatever reason, really seem to be stronger online and via social media. I think far more people enjoy the games than don't, but it's become sort of a rally cry issue for some.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I like the skills thing more than the actual game.

Maybe that is because of the numerous all star rosters I have seen the Rangers ice over the years, so it does not seem all that special. ;)

Last edited:

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I'm sorry, but why do you keep thinking I am disagreeing with your assertion that some people are fixated on prospects and drafts?

This is literally the third time I've had to acknowledge that YES there are people who take that approach.

But you're fixated on the word creepy. How many times have you brought it up?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Guys, I have a very special announcement to make.

With the replacement of Panarin, Chris Kreider is the the first player drafted by Gordie Clark to play in an NHL all-star game.

Hats off to Gordie Clark - it only took you a decade!
This can’t possibly be true right?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This can’t possibly be true right?

Not quite, I think.

Girardi was an undrafted free agent, but a prospect signed and developed by the team under Clark.

Staal was a Clark draftee.

McD never played for another team, but wasn't drafted by the Rangers.

Lundqvist wasn't a Clark draftee.

Other guys had somewhat comparable seasons to Kreider over the years, but we're not selected.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I think it can be misguided at times, frustrating at other points, but creepy tends to carry a whole different connotation --- especially in the phrase "I've never seen a group so infatuated with 17 and 18 year old kids. Kinda creepy." So again, if it's a wording thing...eh, I feel like that kind of took in a wrong direction.

But yes, there will always be contingents on here that have good aspects and not so good aspects. You've got the logic crowd, the analytics crowd, the hot takes/reactionary crowd, the crowd that wants to trade everyone for picks, the crowd that loves reclamation projects, the posters who prefer European players, the ones who prefer North American prospects, the anti-establishment crowd, the coach-focused crowd, the trade proposal crowd, jaded crowd, the rose colored glasses crowd, and probably a dozen more different groups.

And people belong to more than one group, at different times, and there's movement between those groups, and tendencies, and yada, yada, yada.

You kind of just learn to surf between the various waves.

That's what I'm doing right now and every day.

Reactions: Salsa Shark

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Because it's a strong word, especially when used in the context you used it.

And you already acknowledged my thoughts on that in your previous post. So there's nothing new there.

I don't even know what the **** you're trying to argue about anymore.

I'm telling you, I didn't call anyone a pedophile. Crappy fan, sure. Pedophile, nope.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
95% of the time, Mika turned the offer down and Kreider was next on the list.

5% of the time, management worked the situation to hopefully bolster Kreider's value or to let Mika heal up from something.

0% of the time, anybody thought that Kreider was the correct choice of the two.

It may be that I've gotten older, but I would rather just not have an All-Star game anymore. Even the skills competitions have lost their appeal to me. The straw that broke my back on that one is Larkin's "fastest skater record". The whole thing just smacks of a PR event now.

I was right with you with regards to the all star game a few years ago....get rid of it as it was totally unwatchable. Than they came up with this new division vs division thingie with it being 3 on 3 with I believe a million bucks on the line and I became intrigued to see how it would play out.

Well much to my surprise due to the players actually seemingly trying at least 80% of the time rather than 50% like they used too, the new format IMO has actually become enjoyable to watch, at least to me it is and I got to give the league credit where credit is due as this new improved format they implemented has been a hell of a good idea.

Unlike you as well, I still enjoy the skills contest maybe not as much as when Al Iafrate was winning hardest shot contests but well enough to where I take time aside to watch it unless the Mrs. has some compelling event for me to attend.

So sure Kreieder doesn’t deserve to be in St.Louis as he’s obviously not an “allstar” but I’ll be rooting like crazy for him to win the MVP award as John Scott did a few years ago...lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Harbour Dog

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Am I the only person here who loves the all star game & skills comp? :help:

No...as I just posted, I really enjoy the new division vs division setup they now have...brilliant move by marketing arm of the league seeing the other format blew chunks.

And I still look forward to players relaxing , joking around and doing their thing at the skills competition.

So no, your not alone!

Reactions: EdJovanovski

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
No...as I just posted, I really enjoy the new division vs division setup they now have...brilliant move by marketing arm of the league seeing the other format blew chunks.

And I still look forward to players relaxing , joking around and doing their thing at the skills competition.

So no, your not alone!
Hoping to see some lacrosse goals & other creative stuff, I remember years ago people saw lacrosse goals as some novelty and never would've thought it would find its way into an NHL game. I always practice lacrosse moves, weird dekes & trick shots in warmups so I enjoy watching that kind of stuff. I'm also younger than most this forum so maybe that's why, although some act as if only 6 year olds watch the ASG.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
It is true unfortunately, and it’s pathetic.

Sorry, I should have specified as head of scouting, which I believe was 2007

Since Clark has led, there hasn’t been one. Stepan played for the junior all star team.

what does it have to take to get Clark gone. he is not good at looking at talent

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think Mika got snubbed he most likely was asked but declined, and don't blame him. Even with CK going I still won't be watching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad