Confirmed with Link: Kreider replacing Panarin for 2019 All Star Game.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I think "larger than life" was your view as a kid that changed as you grew older (that's my take).

Otherwise for a number of years I'd skip watching the even altogether because of its complete lack of competitive edge that defines hockey as a sport in general. I'm with @Maximus on his take that the switch to the divisional elimination format, prize money and 3-on-3 format got me back into watching the event. TBH, 3-on-3 seems perfect because it's all about skills and speed (as opposed to physicality and tenaciousness) by its nature, so I can buy into ("believing") it as opposed to when 5 hockey players would just stand around and wait for a opponent player with possession to "Putin" his way to a goal.

:laugh:

That is a verb that will now enter my vocabulary.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Just can't care about this anymore. I liked the Young Stars thing, and the skills comp. Do that in one evening and I'm good. And just name the All Stars, but don't have a stupid game. The games are so saccharine and meaningless.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Just can't care about this anymore. I liked the Young Stars thing, and the skills comp. Do that in one evening and I'm good. And just name the All Stars, but don't have a stupid game. The games are so saccharine and meaningless.

I like to be sentimental and think that the ASG is the one time during the season where everyone sets aside their teams' beefs with each other and hang out for a day.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I like to be sentimental and think that the ASG is the one time during the season where everyone sets aside their teams' beefs with each other and hang out for a day

Agreed. I mean even fans want everything to be serious all the time lol. It’s cool just to have a fun game

Reactions: will1066

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I like to be sentimental and think that the ASG is the one time during the season where everyone sets aside their teams' beefs with each other and hang out for a day.
Yeah, IDK, I just remember when it seemed like the players really cared, and didn't like each other despite it being an exhibition. I like beefs--hard feelings and the actions that come of them are what makes the game great, IMO. I don't like setting them aside.

Now it's just like a friendly pond hockey game. Which, sure, can be entertaining to watch, but doesn't make me actually want to tune in. Hockey without any passion or emotion is, IDK, not hockey to me.

To clarify: these are just my personal feelings and in no way do I think this is how everyone should feel. Honestly it's good for people to care, as it's good exposure for the league.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Yeah, IDK, I just remember when it seemed like the players really cared, and didn't like each other despite it being an exhibition. I like beefs--hard feelings and the actions that come of them are what makes the game great, IMO. I don't like setting them aside.

Now it's just like a friendly pond hockey game. Which, sure, can be entertaining to watch, but doesn't make me actually want to tune in. Hockey without any passion or emotion is, IDK, not hockey to me.

To clarify: these are just my personal feelings and in no way do I think this is how everyone should feel. Honestly it's good for people to care, as it's good exposure for the league.
You saying ‘friendly pond hockey’ gave me this idea: put a fan on each team and let the pros bank pucks in off of them

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I'm closer to 20 than 30 :laugh: growing up with the internet & services where I can watch every Rangers game even though I don't live near NY; and being in a huge hockey market in Vancouver I guess I never experienced the anticipation of seeing those star players that you'd rarely get to see back then. So maybe that's why there was such an allure to it in a lot of people on here's younger days where it's worn off now because with the internet they can see every star player on demand at the click of a button

Exactly with technology the way it is, it's no biggie like it used to be to see opposing players of the Rangers perform. I'm not saying it was better back than compared to the way it is now because there are alot of great things about being able to watch your favorite players by a click of a computer button.

But there really was something innocent about the older days when cable wasn't even around hence why as we discussed why peeps like me would look so very forward to not just the NHL allstar game but the NBA all star game as well as the best one of all back than...the MLB all star game.

Should be fun this weekend. Do you think we'll get a MacKinnon vs McDavid fastest skater battle in the skills competition? Me hope so.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
But yes, there will always be contingents on here that have good aspects and not so good aspects. You've got the logic crowd, the analytics crowd, the hot takes/reactionary crowd, the crowd that wants to trade everyone for picks, the crowd that loves reclamation projects, the posters who prefer European players, the ones who prefer North American prospects, the anti-establishment crowd, the coach-focused crowd, the trade proposal crowd, jaded crowd, the rose colored glasses crowd, and probably a dozen more different groups.

And people belong to more than one group, at different times, and there's movement between those groups, and tendencies, and yada, yada, yada.

You kind of just learn to surf between the various waves.

This post should be the welcome post to HF hoards.

Reactions: Edge

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
CK would wipe out at fastest skater coming around the net unless he brakes a bit or makes a really wide turn. Either way it would be tough for him to win it, don't count your chickens just yet fam.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Honestly, I'm not gonna keep debating the same crap. It's always about asset management, extracting maximum value, blah blah blah. People here couldn't build a hockey team if their life depended on it. I get this place is called "Hockey Futures" but people here are lame. They can't even enjoy a season because all they care about is the next draft and this pipe dream of building this perfect team. Hockey fans are weird, I've never seen a group so infatuated with 17 and 18 year old kids. Kinda creepy.
ok boomer.

And it is 'Hockey's Future' my man, we're not trading commodities here Mr. Spreadsheets.

Reactions: CasusBelli

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
It's weird because he's one of those guys for whom a very clear number jumps to mind - 28 goals and around 53 points. It's like he hits goal plateaus and that's where he stays.

He hit the 21 goal/45 point production level (if not the milestone itself) in 2013-14, and then he stayed there for two more years.

Then he jumped up to 28 goals in 2016-17, and has stayed at that level since.

It feels like there are very clearly defined benchmarks for Kreider.

Speaking of benchmarks, it can be a crappy benchmark, but the "1M per 1o-points for forwards" can sometimes be a decent metric. If Kreider is going to be a 55-point player, as he has been, i'd have no problem giving him $5.5M a year for 5 or 6 years. the problem is, he may still think he can be a 70-point player, and will ask to be paid as such. I just hope that isn't us.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I always watch the skills competition but I haven't watched one of the games since I was a kid. I'll catch up on highlights or whatever but I can't waste my time on the garbage game itself.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I always watch the skills competition but I haven't watched one of the games since I was a kid. I'll catch up on highlights or whatever but I can't waste my time on the garbage game itself.

I know what you mean by garbage game. I mean, it's a game where Rick Nash can actually pot one home, amirite?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
So is kreider the 1st all star forward we drafted that is playing for us?

Not too long ago I remember reading that weve never drafted a forward who also became an all star for us

I remember him jumping out of a pool. Sniff...they grow up so...well slowly in this case hes like 30. Shit

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
The Metro Division team doesn't resemble anything close to an All-Star team. This is either going to be a changing of the guard or the NHL will be fuming from the PR nightmare.

No Crosby, Ovi, Malkin, Matthews.

Absent of entertaining personalities like Subban and Fluery.

Then sprinkle in a few "All-Stars" that are there because every team has to be represented.

In cases like this the NHL should have experimented with something drastic. Add a Women's player to each team. Go to a US vs Canada vs Scandinavia vs Europe rosters. I think the "country" model is the next step especially if the NHL abstains from the Olympics again.

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
" Add a Women's player to each team. "
This is a good idea. Maybe add a couple of women to each team and go Rec league rules that one woman must be on the ice at all times. Expose fans to players in the women's game. Out of the very elite players and very dedicated fans, i doubt most NHL fans could name an All Star from any of the women's professional leagues.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I'm actually happy for Kreider. I realize he hasnt lived up to what we thought he would become but he has been a very good player for this franchise. Given what he does for the locker room, the city and on the ice he is a good representative to send and it will be nice to see him in the fastest skater.

Reactions: Maximus

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Mika probably has extensive family plans in both Sweden and Iran. Tony spending his week making America great again. CK is a good choice for the league. Kreids has more name recognition than Mika.

and Hank is being filmed for a new shampoo commercial.

Meanwhile, Kravtsov is still wandering around Hartford thinking “this place is worse than Russia”.

Reactions: Maximus and Tob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad