• Like it

• Indifferent

• Don't like it

• Hate it

Results are only viewable after voting.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
No shit you take Zibanejad over Malkin, Toews, Backstrom now that they're out of their primes. That is a serious twisting of the conversation

I meant at the time of their Cups, Zib doesn't stand up to any of them.

Except for Toews, aren't these guys are still leaders on their teams that are gearing up for another cup run right now?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I'll take Zibanejad now over Toews during any of their cup runs

Based on what the last 130 games that Zibanejad has played? That's such a small sample size to stack up against EIGHT years of high end play and over 100 playoff points.

Its OK to admit that Zibanejad is just not there yet. It doesn't make you a bad Ranger fan.

And that's fine, even if you take Zibanejad over Toews, we still don't have a Keith, or a Hossa and probably never will either. I'm hesitant to say we have a Kane in Panarin until I see him score some big time playoff goals. Other than that, sure we have a Kane.

Last edited:

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Based on what the last 130 games that Zibanejad has played? That's such a small sample size to stack up against EIGHT years of high end play and over 100 playoff points.

Its OK to admit that Zibanejad is just not there yet. It doesn't make you a bad Ranger fan.

And that's fine, even if you take Zibanejad over Toews, we still don't have a Keith, or a Hossa and probably never will either. I'm hesitant to say we have a Kane in Panarin until I see him score some big time playoff goals. Other than that, sure we have a Kane.

Panarin is a near PPG in the playoffs and had a great postseason last year for CBJ.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Panarin is a near PPG in the playoffs and had a great postseason last year for CBJ.

Fair enough, but there is a reason that part of my "championship formula" was the easiest to acquire.

Post-Game Talk: - New York Islanders at New York Rangers - October 19, 2017

The Blues were one short, the franchise center, and as soon as they got him to complete the formula they went from perennial playoff underachievers to Stanley Cup champions.

We are halway there with Zibanejad as the center behind THE CENTER (of course hes better than any #2 on these teams), Panarin and Kreider on the wings, but the others are the hardest part to acquire and we will never get if the rebuild is "over".

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'm on the like list. If it were 5 years it would be love. If it were 6 it's somewhere between like and love. The cap $ amount is very friendly for what he's bringing and even if he's declining 5 years from now--the cap ceiling going up mitigates that. As far as the movement clauses. I think 4 years is pretty safe with him--the last 3 he'll have a 15 team trading list--that probably will work out alright---there's always the buyout option too and $6.5 isn't like a huge number and at that point in time he might be the only one if it came to that.

He's in extraordinary condition and he's been attuned to that pretty much from the beginning. I really don't see his skating becoming an issue. If I were to compare him to other players in that regard he reminds me of Patrick Marleau or Matt Cullen who both hit 40 without losing a stride. Marleau is still a great skater. There are players that don't lose their legs and his attention to conditioning makes me think he'll be a player like that. He also has the strength to muscle into traffic areas and be successful. There aren't many players that can match him strength wise. So to me if there's any question on this it's really going to be towards the tail end of his contract--maybe the last year or two......and maybe not at all.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
It is rather impressive that half-a-million dollars and going from 7x7 to 6.5x7 would result in a literal 180 turn.

I think it’s the perception that Kreider was willing to compromise. Given the information you gave that his camp originally came in over $7 million, likely knowing he could get that deal on the open market, and possibly giving up another $7 million which some people declared he would be a fool to do, probably colors the opinions, even for those that might have been on the fence. Even the structure of the deal showed a willingness to compromise on Kreider’s part. So, I ‘m willing to put that into the equation.

Reactions: eco's bones

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think it’s the perception that Kreider was willing to compromise. Given the information you gave that his camp originally came in over $7 million, likely knowing he could get that deal on the open market, and possibly giving up another $7 million which some people declared he would be a fool to do, probably colors the opinions, even for those that might have been on the fence. Even the structure of the deal showed a willingness to compromise on Kreider’s part. So, I ‘m willing to put that into the equation.

I get it. It's still impressive.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
It is rather impressive that half-a-million dollars and going from 7x7 to 6.5x7 would result in a literal 180 turn.

There are also a segment of voters who will talk themselves into it because it feels good to support the team, honestly, that's why we are fans.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I'm on the like list. If it were 5 years it would be love. If it were 6 it's somewhere between like and love. The cap $ amount is very friendly for what he's bringing and even if he's declining 5 years from now--the cap ceiling going up mitigates that. As far as the movement clauses. I think 4 years is pretty safe with him--the last 3 he'll have a 15 team trading list--that probably will work out alright---there's always the buyout option too and $6.5 isn't like a huge number and at that point in time he might be the only one if it came to that.

He's in extraordinary condition and he's been attuned to that pretty much from the beginning. I really don't see his skating becoming an issue. If I were to compare him to other players in that regard he reminds me of Patrick Marleau or Matt Cullen who both hit 40 without losing a stride. Marleau is still a great skater. There are players that don't lose their legs and his attention to conditioning makes me think he'll be a player like that. He also has the strength to muscle into traffic areas and be successful. There aren't many players that can match him strength wise. So to me if there's any question on this it's really going to be towards the tail end of his contract--maybe the last year or two......and maybe not at all.
It's a 15 team list...?

Holy crap, per CapFriendly it is!

Chris Kreider - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Below market AAV, frontloaded over the first four years, virtually no signing bonuses in the last three, and only a partial NTC in the last three.

I'm feeling a TON better about this deal. Please officially change my vote from "indifferent" to "like".

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
It's a 15 team list...? Holy crap, per CapFriendly it is!

Below market AAV, frontloaded over the first four years, virtually no signing bonuses in the last three, and only a partial NTC in the last three.

I'm feeling a TON better about this deal. Officially changing my vote from "indifferent" to "like".

It's really as team friendly as a UFA status 29yo could get. It's not 'riskless' and as edge has stressed, it set the terms in some ways for where things go from here, but it's substantially under market AAV, set up for a favorable buyout and the ability to be moved after expansion.

Then there's the outside chance that he's just plain worth it for seven years.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019

There was no chance in hell you were getting 5 years. I mean you’re asking the guy to leave like 15 million on the table. No player would do that especially someone who is still 28

Reactions: Captain Lindy

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
As someone who was in the ‘re-sign him’ camp, and as one of his biggest fans on this board, as much as this has turned out to be a much better deal than his detractors feared, I can still only say that I like it. I know why he got 7 years, and it’s the key to how the deal got done. But, I can’t just explain away any of the risk of that final year. Therefore, I’m happy he’s re-signed, and I like the deal, but, I cannot say I won’t be holding my breath in that 7th year.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
As someone who was in the ‘re-sign him’ camp, and as one of his biggest fans on this board, as much as this has turned out to be a much better deal than his detractors feared, I can still only say that I like it. I know why he got 7 years, and it’s the key to how the deal got done. But, I can’t just explain away any of the risk of that final year. Therefore, I’m happy he’s re-signed, and I like the deal, but, I cannot say I won’t be holding my breath in that 7th year.
every contract is a risk even Panarin. The Trouba one I hate and now that Skjei is gone he had no more excuses. IMO it was worth it because the type of player we would be losing would be so hard to replace and have a bad effect on other players who benefits from his size speed and net presence. He took less money too. Probably 7 million less than what he would have had.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
It's a 15 team list...?

I'm feeling a TON better about this deal. Please officially change my vote from "indifferent" to "like".

I now can officially vote I like it. It basically matched what I would have been willing to give him - Speculation: - Roster Building Thread XXX: Cue Europe

I will trade the extra year for the way the salary is structured. Definitely gives an extra options to get out of it if things go south.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
No shit you take Zibanejad over Malkin, Toews, Backstrom now that they're out of their primes. That is a serious twisting of the conversation

I meant at the time of their Cups, Zib doesn't stand up to any of them.
I'd take this version of Zibs over Toews and Backstrom.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I still hate it.

Panarin, Zbad, Kreider, Trouba, Fox, and whoever they decide to keep out of Strome, Buch, DeAngelo is not a core I see winning a Cup and I do not believe any other additional secondary adds really does much towards that.

I think this also lessens the chances of the "next" group being able to complete the task as there is no return for Kreider or maybe not Strome either added to that group.

Nor do I believe they have much intention on keeping many of the earlier picks that could eventually add to that group, that would take too long. To me it looks like they are going to continue to build-up the Panarin age grouping while subtracting from the 7-10 year younger Kakko/Chytil grouping.

Once the older grouping starts to decline the next grouping will be weaker than it could have been.

Do I blame them for running with the Panarin grouping? not really, it makes sense and has made sense since they signed him. I just believe this approach will turn out similar to the last several builds, good but not good enough, retool, and again and again until they decide to "rebuild" again, then they'll probably decide to accelerate that one too. Just as much as I think some markets are sort of doomed to failure, I think the Rangers market sort of defines them too.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I don't "hate" it -- I like Kreider and if there was a way to keep him and acquire the other pieces I think we need, I'd downright love it. And so if we somehow go out and do end up trading for Holtz or something in the draft, then I'll do a 180, because again, I'm not here advocating an additional 5 years of tanking. I think we needed one OR two more top-6 pieces, but one more imminently than the second who I'd view as more of a long-term replacement option who can develop and play on the third line in the meantime.

But certainly nothing that has been revealed or occurred since yesterday has changed my mind about feeling that asset acquisition remained more important than securing competitiveness for the next season or two. Therefore I remain opposed. But my focus was on draft and asset accumulation for THIS offseason, because this will, in my mind, be the last offseason we are anywhere close to missing the playoffs, being a lottery team, and selling off assets at the deadline that would allow us to trade up. From here on out, after this offseason, asset accumulation will be about trading from our existing prospect surplus, not from multiple high draft picks.

So starting next season, regardless of what we do this offseason re: the draft, the ship is sailing. The train is pulling out of the station. We'll be playoff bound and there will be no moves to make or be advocated for that could realistically stop that (as trading Kreider could have done this year). So I'll be towel waiving along with everyone else come October 2020.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We are halway there with Zibanejad as the center behind THE CENTER (of course hes better than any #2 on these teams), Panarin and Kreider on the wings, but the others are the hardest part to acquire and we will never get if the rebuild is "over".
Good lord. This is still being discussed? Zibanejad is already an elite top line center. Short of wanting a Crosby or a McDavid, just what kind of center are you looking for? And once you answer that, just where is it that you are finding him?

Lastly, have you seen what Zibanejad has done over the last two years? That is without the benefit of a true elite player (and I love Kreider) playing on his line. What do you think his number if he were in Tampa would look like? Or let's say put him on the top line in Colorado? AND, oh by the way, he plays against the opposition's top lines?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's a 15 team list...?

I thought all you guys were ahead of me---but that's where I got it from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad