• Indifferent

• Don't like it

• Hate it

Results are only viewable after voting.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
What makes Fox unfit in your eyes to be the captain?
22 years old. Rookie. He has more the personality of Leetch than Messier. Quiet. Leads by example on the ice but not one outspoken in the room. None of that is a problem for him as a player. But it does not lead to be captain material. We saw it happen with Leetch. They gave him the C and he was never comfortable with it. They ended up taking it away from him. Did you hear Fox’s tone in his sit down with Lindgren? When he was asked about the first time he met Lindgren? He was intimidated by Lindgren to a degree like he was nervous. Lindgren is a tough kid but Cmon.

Kreider handles the media great. Has a great relationship with everyone on the team. He is educated and you can tell in the way he speaks. He plays the game the right way and is always so focused. He is the captain already in my opinion. One of the longest tenured Rangers, drafted by the Organization.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Contract structure makes this an even better deal imo. Easily bought out in the last few years, can also just waive him to the AHL towards the end too if necessary.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Glad he is going to stay around. you need SOME vets, cant be all kids, and Kreider has shown great leadership lately. He's playing at peak right now, and has not had an injury history. If he gives us 5 good years of the 7, the deal is a win. Plus, there are only 3-4 other players in the NHL with his game-type, so *very* hard to replace.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
So a few things I can share now that they don't matter:

1. Rangers were pushing the Avs for Newhook to see if they could at least get him into the discussion. That was ongoing right into this morning.

2. Dallas was very interested and was supposedly open to moving Robertson, but wanted to expand the deal a little. Andersson's name did come up.

3. (After the fact I've heard) conversations with Kreider's agent supposedly started at 7 a.m. and then final offer came about 9 a.m., with the Rangers including a 7th year. Kreider's term was gradually compromised from $7.25 at the start of talks. If true, he exchanged $5 million on his salary demands for a 7th year on his contract.

4. Teams calling on Fast. Calgary may be on hold for right now.

5. At least one call on Trouba in the aftermath of the Kreider signing.

Obviously that was @EdJovanovski posing as an NHL team. Just wondering how he got Gorton's phone number.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Easier to read this way

View attachment 326657
Now that I'm at my computer and can actually read this, :) I feel a LOT better about the contract. I expected front loading, but never dreamed I'd see virtually bonus free out years or an NMC that downgrades after year 4. (It'll be even better if it's only partial in one or more years – can't wait to see the details on that.)

My magic numbers all along were 4 x $7.5-8.0MM or 5 x $7MM, so while I'll never love a 7-year deal, a $6.5MM AAV with features that make it simple to trade/buy out in years 6 and 7 (heck, even 5), make it much more palatable. I may even be shifting from "indifferent" to "like". :)

Last edited:
Reactions: jas

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Something to keep in mind is that Zibanejad will be looking for the same term in a couple of years. Gorton can't point to Kreider taking 6 years in negotiations. There will be another 29 year old 7 year deal coming for the Rangers

The difference is Zibanejad is a significantly better player than Kreider and the team at that point should be right in their window of being a very strong contender. Provided he keeps up his play the next two years I am perfectly fine giving Zibanejad a huge 7 or 8 year deal at that point.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Literally no one should expect other players to take a discount just because Kreider took one

Panarin did as well (but still got paid a whole lot!) but yeah I'd never expect a player to take less to stay someplace. Like Zibanejad...he's gonna want a big pay day and that's fine. It's up to the rangers to fit it in.

Chris needs to keep his scoring up and finally hit 30 goals this season though

e: as for captaincy, Kreider has never struck me as a C kind of guy but the kind who provides steady leadership and mentorship behind the scenes. Of course we dont' know what it's like in the locker room etc

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
bulk of the $$ paid in his most productive years.

back end of the deal is protected somewhat and allows us to buyout the final non productive years or move him. cap relief in the final years offers some wiggle room to minimize negative cap impact.

no one wants another rick nash. top line $$ for a 3rd line guy.

overall, gorton continues to shine with his hockey deals. the structure of this deal took some time but seems like a win/win. this guy is a top GM when it comes to the business of hockey.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY

happy to say I was in the building for this. you could tell immediately, he was gonna be impactful (when he shows up)

comin up on a decade of Kreider, guys. super stoked that he'll be here for a while longer.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I'm hoping he hits 30 goals but I'm also slightly interested in seeing him go on a disappearing act to see how many people do a 180 and crush him

Don't be that guy.

Besides, you already know how people would react, so you don't need to wish for it to happen to see the reaction.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

happy to say I was in the building for this. you could tell immediately, he was gonna be impactful (when he shows up)

comin up on a decade of Kreider, guys. super stoked that he'll be here for a while longer.

I mean, I think that moment is actually bittersweet because he never lived up to the potential we thought he had based on that playoff series. He had everyone believing he was a 70-80 point player.

Reactions: Doctor King Schultz

itsPLkielbasa

Aug 30, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Love the deal. I hope we all look back at this thread when he hits 34-36 and laugh at ourselves for thinking he won't be a factor. Chris is going to be a hell of a player for the Rangers for the next 7 years. I wouldn't trade him for a late 1st and 2 average prospects. It seems as if that was the deal on the table.

The cap is going to rise year after year. This deal is going to be a steal.

It'll be a tough decision to see who gets the C now. Mika or Chris. Both deserve it.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
20ish goals, 50ish points... projecting near equivalent production to the last 7 years.

Is that expected to continue from age 28 to 35?

It's a so-so signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad