• Indifferent

• Don't like it

• Hate it

Results are only viewable after voting.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I mean, I think that moment is actually bittersweet because he never lived up to the potential we thought he had based on that playoff series. He had everyone believing he was a 70-80 point player.

if he keeps it up this year, he'll hit 60, at least. first time ever.

maybe the dude is actually hitting his prime? and he finally knows how much he has to do on a nightly basis to maintain his pace and keep healthy? time will tell, but I sure hope he keeps up his play. at least for 3/4 of the regular season, which is more than he's done in the past

Reactions: jas

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Easier to read this way

View attachment 326657

With the way contract is structured plus the expected cap increase following expansion and a new TV deal, Kreider's $4.5m actual salary (vs. $6.5 cap hit) could be movable in the last three years, probably at relatively low cost. They wouldn't even have to eat 50%, just $1m - $1.5m off to bring it to $5m cap hit and $3m actual salary.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Landeskog was a captain at 19.

How do you know?
I like you Steve, but I am not gona argue about something that you clearly see differently. I have listened to his interviews, pregame, in game, and post game. You can tell the way he carries himself, the way he speaks. As I said this does not affect him as a player or take anything away from in general. I just absolutely do not see a Captain, a Leader of the team. Not at all. Referencing Landeskog...I mean cmon. That guy had the captain material written all over him at an early age. Different situations as well. Who was going to be captain over Landeskog?

Just seems to me like this is more about taking things away from Kreider. Because why go to even this short length of discussion to defend Fox and a captaincy that he will never have.

Last edited:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
They're boys. The connection is obvious. Kreider took less to stay, why wouldn't Mika? It's not like we're talking 10s of millions.
I think we should save this long nauseating discussion for when the time warrants it in 1-2 years. I think we all just absolutely exhausted ourselves over this conversation about hometown discounts for the past several months. Lets take a break

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I think we should save this long nauseating discussion for when the time warrants it in 1-2 years. I think we all just absolutely exhausted ourselves over this conversation about hometown discounts for the past several months. Lets take a break
Absolutely. Too many people want to think about 2-5 years years from now. I try to stay in the present and presently I’m very happy where our team is at. I was the biggest supporter of the rebuild but I love the quick strides we made and I’m glad the FO didn’t intentionally try to tank like some teams

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
They're boys. The connection is obvious. Kreider took less to stay, why wouldn't Mika? It's not like we're talking 10s of millions.

Same reason why countless others such as Hayes, Zucc, Callahan, etc., didn't take less to stay. We've seen lots of players opt for more money even though it meant leaving their besties behind.

And every player is different, we have no idea what their priorities are or how they feel about money.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Same reason why countless others such as Hayes, Zucc, Callahan, etc., didn't take less to stay. We've seen lots of players opt for more money even though it meant leaving their besties behind.

And every player is different, we have no idea what their priorities are or how they feel about money.

This is also true.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
...I may even be shifting from "indifferent" to "like". :)

I couldn't put "indifferent" but I'm also going from "dislike" to "like".

I wanted a very team friendly (but unrealistic) 5-year deal at $6.5m. I still HATE that it's a 7-year deal but its structure makes it a lot more palatable.
I wanted Fast moved but if Namestnikov returned a 4th in '21 I'm ok to keep Fast for a hypothetical loss of a 5th rounder. BTW, we got a better return on Namestnikov than Ottawa did, lol.
I wanted Skjei moved. He got his contract on a "promise" of further development but he never lived up to it here. Another 1st round pick in a very deep draft is a valuable asset that could potentially return a more immediate help via trade. BTW, I agree with @Ola 's thesis that giving long-term deals on promise (post ELC) has little risk - these contracts are movable at very little cost.

Last edited:

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I think not extending him would honestly ruin a team that really seems to be bonding a building something together. The decision is not just about his on ice performance but also his off ice impact and the message being sent to other players on the team. They deserve to think that the front office is behind them as they continue to improve and win. Yes there is a long term impact here but I think having star players that stick around for a hometown discount in their prime sends a good message to all the younger players.

It is, in part, a cultural and organizational decision.

Reactions: eco's bones

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Dom of The Athletic had this on February 13

By the numbers: Analyzing the top trade targets available...

One could argue the decline in Kreider's game has already started.

The Rangers will regret the back end of the contract.

Dude, I don’t care what the stats say. Watch the games. He’s improving. The entire team has had defensive issues this year prior to the All-Star game. Kreider is playing some of his best hockey right now.

He’s also downright lethal on the power play.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Kreider really did this team a lot of favors. I don't see this as Gorton 'caving.' Yes, he got the seventh year, but he left probably 7 mil on the table and allowed the contract to favor the Rangers over the length of the terms. He's a really honorable and committed member of the team and this deal is just further evidence. Aside from Kreider the player, I'm happy to have this kind of guy in a Rangers uniform for potentially his whole career.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Kreider really did this team a lot of favors. I don't see this as Gorton 'caving.' Yes, he got the seventh year, but he left probably 7 mil on the table and allowed the contract to favor the Rangers over the length of the terms. He's a really honorable and committed member of the team and this deal is just further evidence. Aside from Kreider the player, I'm happy to have this kind of guy in a Rangers uniform for potentially his whole career

True. Kreider probably left at least 7 million that he would have gotten somewhere else. Yes 6 years would have been tremendous but even that some people had a problem with. Hell some wanted him to take 5 years which is ludicrous. No 28 year old with his background is gonna take two less year and leave almost 15 million on the table lol. It was a fair deal for both sides like JD and Gort said

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad