Kraken News

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I posted the same in the Kraken News at about the same time. Pretty bummed about it. She was active on twitter as well so a loss for Kraken fans.

Dang, that's the exact thread I was looking for - thanks! Yeah, especially as someone who's not in the Seattle metro area but following the Kraken, she was a blessing.

Reactions: Tao Jersey Jones

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Dang, that's the exact thread I was looking for - thanks! Yeah, especially as someone who's not in the Seattle metro area but following the Kraken, she was a blessing.
Seems strange to me since the Kraken are so red-hot from a news POV in our area. And its not like she was doing a bad job. Quite the opposite.

Maybe she joins the Athletic or even Home - Seattle Hockey Now whenever that ends up launching. FYI the latter is where Sheng Peng (San Jose) and Dater (Colorado) cover articles for their own markets. I reached out to Dater a few months back (twitter) and he confirmed without saying as much that the site is in the works.

Edit: FYI @Bear of Bad News I just stickied the 'Kraken News' thread so that it is easier to find in the future.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Seems strange to me since the Kraken are so red-hot from a news POV in our area. And its not like she was doing a bad job. Quite the opposite.

Maybe she joins the Athletic or even Home - Seattle Hockey Now whenever that ends up launching. FYI the latter is where Sheng Peng (San Jose) and Dater (Colorado) cover articles for their own markets. I reached out to Dater a few months back (twitter) and he confirmed without saying as much that the site is in the works.

Edit: FYI @Bear of Bad News I just stickied the 'Kraken News' thread so that it is easier to find in the future.

I really appreciated Marisa's coverage.

Didn't the Seattle Times fly her out there from Boston? Was she too progressive?

Was it her takes on the Jordan Subban/Jacob Panetta incident?

Best of luck to her wherever she lands.

edit: spelling

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I really appreciated Marissa's coverage.

Didn't the Seattle Times fly her out there from Boston? Was she too progressive?

Was it her takes on the Jordan Subban/Jacob Panetta incident?

Best of luck to her wherever she lands.

Hard to say because neither side has really said much about the incident. However, some other twitter posters pointed to the bolded above as a possible reason for her firing. At this time I am just hoping she is able to find a place who appreciate her and we continue getting her excellent coverage.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Hard to say because neither side has really said much about the incident. However, some other twitter posters pointed to the bolded above as a possible reason for her firing. At this time I am just hoping she is able to find a place who appreciate her and we continue getting her excellent coverage.

Hopefully she can get the support she needs to continue covering the Kraken.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
KJR sports radio who has the kraken games for radio is moving over to the 93.3fm band. So people will beable to listen to games on the car radio with a much much clear audio than listening on the AM band.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I just saw this:

My question on the business page: Is it normal for expansion teams to be losing front office people like this in year one? I think they've lost a couple already.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Yeah, that's the second FO/hockey operations person to leave the team during this season with Cammi Granato joining the Canucks.

Though, both got promotions becoming assistant GM's in Vancouver and Chicago respectively.

Gotta hope they find some good people to replace the departed people.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I just saw this:

My question on the business page: Is it normal for expansion teams to be losing front office people like this in year one? I think they've lost a couple already.

I would not read too much into it to be honest. To me, it just sounds like people used the Kraken as a stepping stone to go to more 'established' organizations. It sucks but it happens like normal jobs. A promotion and/or significant raise wins most of the time.

Reactions: Mike Jones

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I have a feeling that's going to happen a lot with Seattle. The culture in the NW leans much more toward "try something new" than most places. We'll try something new, they'll show they can be successfull (or just simply HAVE the required experience) and move on.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Has this been discussed anywhere?

I always worry when an owners child is put in charge of any organization, so I would be lying if I said this move didn't have me concerned.

Samantha Holloway Takes Over As Chair of Seattle Kraken Executive Committee
I didn't think twice about it to be honest. LOL.

I don't know enough about her background to say if she is qualified enough for the position. I also have no idea what the 'chairperson of the executive committee of Seattle Hockey Partners' will really do. Just looking at the next few lines:

Holloway will lead the group that guides the strategic direction of the Kraken, which includes vice chair David Wright, Andy Jassy, Jerry Bruckheimer, Chris Ackerley, Jay Deutsch, Maria Eitel, Mitch Garber, Adrian Hanauer, and Len Potter.
I mean it does sound kind of like a made up role but I don't know if she will have any real power. Jassy, Bruckheimer, etc. are unlikely to put up with incompetence at that level.

Reactions: Irie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad