News Article: Kovalev talking smack about Subban

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008
I think Subban is the last player we should worry about when it comes to living up to his contract. There's no quit in him and has a tonne of heart. Unlike some former players I could mention.

Ok what would be your criteria for Subban living up to his contract in the coming year?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Kovalev is right to be flabbergasted.

Once the initial excitement about Subban signing settled.... Feel free to say it with me guys...

It's a bad contract. Everyone knows it.

Yeah, I guess he was right. I mean, you need to live it to actually talk about it. Was he flabbergasted when he stole that money from the Sens?

Oh and everyone knows it? Who is this everyone you're talking about? In a world when Clarke McArthur got close to 5M$ per.....Subban getting the money he got is bad? You know what would have been worst? Losing him....Was it an incredible contract? It rarely is when you sign in. And once your initial hate of the contract settles in...and once the cap goes up....and once worst players than Subban signs bigger contracts.....you'll find it's a good contract. And you'll know it...after all the others.....but better late than never.

Thats true. And it also so fun to see some part of the fanbase go mental when somebody says anything negative about Subban. What a blasphemy.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. But you need some substance. How can you be credible when you try to diss a guy and one of your bashing sentence is that he plays like Brian Leetch? Anybody here would be really made if Subban has a Leetch type of career? And then....is he really 1 for 1 good goal vs bad goal? Really? Sorry, but a point of view with substance based on something real, just bring it. But not a guy who is just in need of publicity and somehow is on the Habs case for some reasons after him showing his colors during the Rangers-Habs series and now this......

Mind you, I still believe that as a player, he was one of the most exciting player we had in a long time. Loved seeing him play even if he wasn't himself the best defensive player. And somehow, if ANYBODY should understand what exciting players are all about and what pros and cons it makes them having because of their style.....it's him. But it seems he forgot that. And clearly in his evaluation, he didn't go as far as to think that PK, as UFA, would have gotten as much if not more and that Montréal couldn't part ways with PK unless tanking was the decision to take 'cause there's nobody that comes close to PK in our system.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
"Je le compare toujours à Brian Leetch car il veut aussi jouer un style plus offensif." - Doesn't this mean "I compare him to a Brian Leetch since he similarly wants to play a more offensive style".

To me is seems he's just jealous of the contracts though based on the rest of the interview.

I got the same feeling, he seems to really be pissed he never made that much money.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Thats true. And it also so fun to see some part of the fanbase go mental when somebody says anything negative about Subban. What a blasphemy.

Well I don't think people go mental because it's something negative about Subban. It's more because it's unfounded. He's not a defensive liability. And anyone with half a brain can look up the fancy stats and see he's one of the best defensive defensemen along with being one of the best offensive one. Hell, a poster actually posted the link in the first page of this thread. But obviously, a lot people didn't read it because that would take too much effort.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
The crazy thing is Kovalev didn't miss out. It's not like some exploited player from the 70s. The guy made $55M throughout his career, he's ultra wealthy.

And this isn't RDS stirring it up, there was no distortion of the words, the camera rolled and Kovalev just talked .

I've got no problem with his expressing an opinion but this seems like a hypocritical move. Of all the players to comment on another player for risky play and earnings he's the stone thrower living in a glass house.

It's also a back hand against the face of a club he used to play for. I doubt he'll get any less outspoken over the years but let's hope.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Leetch was never paid as the best d-men in the league.
Let alone being paid the highest salary among d-men in the league for three years...

As for Kovalev, he gave us 35G and 84 points for 4.5M.
He was below Markov, Koivu and Hamrlik.
Following he was also below Tanguay.
Among all those players, only Markov in 2008-9 was a better deal.

The cap was at 50M, 20M less than it is now. He also then made 6M.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Let alone being paid the highest salary among d-men in the league for three years...

Kovalev was making 6.6M pre-lockout. You should check what Leetch made pre-lockout: http://www.capgeek.com/player/2721

From 99-04, close to retirement Leetch was averaging 7.868M with the highest salary coming in 02/03 where he made 9.68M. This was 10-15 years ago too...

Comparing salaries cross-era is a joke. I guess Kovalev's salary was joke since he made more than prime Gretzky: http://www.capgeek.com/player/2759

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yup, we shouldn't compare eras.
But when I watched some footage from the 80s...it looks so slow compared to today.

OVERALL STYLE/FLASH/ENTERTAINMENT VALUE:
<PK Subban is no.1 in this category (imo)
<Kovalev was one of the most talented Hab players...too bad he was inconsistent (but imo was always good in playoffs).
<Courtnall...I do remember his speed...very very fast (for that reason he was entertaining, but did not come close to Subban or Kovalev when it came to overall talent or overall style/flash,etc...imo).
<Roy gave us bragging rights...'86 and '93 Cups...and '89 Cup Finals...imo he was fun to watch for his tenacity, character, leadership (winner), but wasn't all about style (Roy's butterfly style was VERY effective, but not the most stylish.... Brodeur's acrobatic style was more entertaining to watch...Hasek with Buffalo and Cujo as an Oiler were lots of fun to watch...imo).
<Chelios...like Roy...very very effective...huge winners, but not as stylish as Subban and Kovalev.
<Claude Lemieux: one of my favorite playoff warriors...Mr.Clutch!! But still...not as entertaining to watch as Subban. Still...Lemieux was one of the best playoff Hab players in a long time. Huge playoff hero for us...huge. He was also huge for New Jersey.
<Malakhov, heck! even Malakhov was fun to watch sometimes for his smoothness...he made it look so easy out there (Mr.Smooth), but also looked so lazy and careless most of the time...too bad 'cause he had a lot of talent. Could have been more entertaining to watch if he had more heart.

Entertainment value:
really really hard to beat PK Subban...imo.
(his amazing skating, puck handling (ex: one hand on puck, other hand protecting puck/body), slapshot, wrister, coast to coast gutsy moves, very crafty defensive style (actually fun to watch how he plays in the D zone), exciting personality+hockey style, 9mil smile, enthusiasm/positive energy, winner's attitude...wants to win all the time).

Well that's why you can't compare eras. I mean, Lafleur used to smoke cigarettes during periods, there's no way he'd be able to do this today. It doesn't mean he was way impressive for his time and really entertaining.
You can't look at what things are being done today and compare them to what was being done in a way less advanced sport/time.

If there was no Lafleur-Beliveau-Roy-Chelios-Lemieux-etc, there would be no PK.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
A bad contract?

The NHL has never seen the likes of the contract they just signed with Sportsnet. There is likely one on the way from the US, not AS lucrative but lucrative just the same.
What do you think that will do to the salary cap?
Its not about it being a bad contract now, I for one dont believe that it is.
Its about what it will lokk like at the end. bargain anyone?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Kovalev was a very well paid player in his day while being mercurial at best. Not sure what his point is as he's hardly a poster boy for value contracts and work ethic.

probably saw a camera and missed being relevant in Montreal so he took the opportunity to be in the headlines one last time.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
At first, I thought : "nice, Kovalev, is comparing Subban to a HoF, and Leecth would command as much and even more if he signed a contract in Subban's circonstances". Subban might be seen as such, but when I watch hockey I see Subban play like a solid defender, with physicality and strenght. Maybe Kovalev confused Karlsson with Subban ?

Last edited:

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal

Subban isn't the highest paid d-men anyway if you look at the annual salary.

Weber 14M
Suter 11M
Phaneuf 8M
Keith 7.6M
Letang 7.25M
Campbell 7.14M
Chara 7M
Doughty 7M
Girardi 7M
Markov 7M
Subban 7M

So he's tie for 7th for 2014-2015 salary.

That's about where he ranks in the top d-men conversation.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Kovalev was fun to watch sometimes and very frustrating other times. He had a good run with the Habs but ultimately i think Subban is gonna have more impact than he did. PK has twice the intensity that AK will ever have and is a much more complete player that does more on the ice. Kovalev was the king of inconsistency and his work ethic was far from always top notch

Sorry Kovy but you shouldn't have opened your mouth on that one.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Kriss E-You must be very young so let me tell you about what athletes due-John Elway a modern Great QB would drink and party on a regular basis.Michael Jordan was a ciger smoking liquer drinker.Lawrence Taylor was a cocaine user for 10 yrs and became the greatest LB of all time.Joe Montana-read his biography about cocaine use-shocking stuff.Again you must live in faux world.In Sports-Drugs,Sex and violence is part of the world.I know of current pro athletes and their private lives make Guy Lafleur a Mother Teresa

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
So Kovy isn't a big PK fan.. who gives a ****.
PK is a bit overpaid (1.5m), but he's earned the contract, and as long as the cap keeps going up then it won't matter anyway.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
He is entitled to his opinion but Kovalev discussing defence is about as credible as Douglass Murray discussing offence.

Agreed with you.

I really dislike this idiom "everyone is entitled to his own opinion".

It's usually used by dumb people spreading lies. Example: I believe homeopathy works and you don't, but everyone is entitled to his own opinion so there's nothing to argue about.

In reality, homeopathy either: i-works; ii-doesn't work; or iii-we don't know with enough certainty. It's not a matter of opinion or belief. It's somethig that can be verified. And so far, all serious investigations show that it doesn't work.

So yes, what Kovalev said is just dumb. It's not a matter of opinion. Subban's contribution to his team is clearly in the positive. That we should not even argue about.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

I said that I only understood the leetch parallel to a certain extent, and it had nothing to do with financials. Both players have/had a relatively high degree of risk to their game. That's where it ends for me.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Kriss E-You must be very young so let me tell you about what athletes due-John Elway a modern Great QB would drink and party on a regular basis.Michael Jordan was a ciger smoking liquer drinker.Lawrence Taylor was a cocaine user for 10 yrs and became the greatest LB of all time.Joe Montana-read his biography about cocaine use-shocking stuff.Again you must live in faux world.In Sports-Drugs,Sex and violence is part of the world.I know of current pro athletes and their private lives make Guy Lafleur a Mother Teresa

:huh:
What are you talking about? And Theo Fleury had alcohol issues too. But were these guys high on cocaine in between periods? Were they drinking and partying between shifts??
There's a big difference between doing things regular in game, and going on benders after the games during the weeks.
And btw, Lafleur did more than just smoke cigarettes. Guy was high on party as well, so no, his private life is not comparable to Mother Teresa's.

Also, note how every single person you mentioned is retired?
Ovechkin has been rocking it for a while right? He went from being a 110pt guy to an 80pt one. Ribeiro has been tossed around by teams because of his drug/party issues.
Yea, things are different.

I'm 31, so not really old, but not a clueless tween either. I work in the fitness industry, I know the level of fitness athletes get to. Being in a party mode like the guys you mentioned will absolutely affect their performances.
And if you don't even know this, it's not me that's too young, it's you that is way too old.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I maintain fair value for PK was 8 mil, 9 wasn't fair value nor a discount.

Regardless, young players get massive term these days. Term and money older stars wish they could've had before.

Still, apart from this, I don't agree with Kovalev. Subban takes risks, so does kovalev, so does pacioretty, so does moen, so does prust, etc...

It's about having the talent level to reduce the chance of failure. If moen takes a risk most likely it will fail. If Subban takes a risk his talent level can support it, Kovalev should know this better than anyone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00